Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
When a character who's not portrayed as white makes me feel uncomfortable, that's racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Watto is something I could never defend, yeah.

Schwarzwald posted:

When a character who's not portrayed as white makes me feel uncomfortable, that's racism.

It may shock you to learn that it wasn't just white people that felt the Gungans and Watto were uncomfortable.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

When the way a character is portrayed doesn't bother me, that character can't possibly be racist.

e for clarity

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 23, 2020

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

We should bear in mind that Jar Jar's actor, Ahmed Best, was extremely uncomfortable with the role, to the point where he told Lucas "This is racism, George. You're making me do racism."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lets not all start calling each other racists over the prequels friends

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

Lets not all start calling each other racists over the prequels friends

To be perfectly, 100%, I don't think anyone's racist for liking the prequels. I just think there are some pretty drat racist parts of those movies that probably should be taken into account when assigning them a grade.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Roth posted:

Watto is something I could never defend, yeah.
Watto (particularly in clones) stands out harshly from the unintentional, bumbling old man racism. i sometimes wonder if someone else had a hand in making him that way & george just signed off on it cluelessly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Saint Drogo posted:

Watto (particularly in clones) stands out harshly from the unintentional, bumbling old man racism. i sometimes wonder if someone else had a hand in making him that way & george just signed off on it cluelessly.

I think it's probably like a lot of fantasy writers uncritically using various fantasy race tropes like goblins without considering their history, but that may be too generous of a reading.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Saint Drogo posted:

I dunno, George strikes me as the kinda guy who definitely buys into a lot of anti-Semitic stereotypes about Jews.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Saint Drogo posted:

Your Non-Racist Villains: Brought to you by some english guy's impersonation of a Thai man saying his lines.

i'll never know how people can defend this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who What Now posted:

I dunno, George strikes me as the kinda guy who definitely buys into a lot of anti-Semitic stereotypes about Jews.

Take a look at his philanthropic giving, I don't see where you'd get that impression

I mean

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 23, 2020

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

zer0spunk posted:

how a robot gunna have a chest cold though

i'm no scientist but

he's not a robot

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
He was the only one to actually smoke a death stick.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
jar jar and the gungans are pretty clearly coded as italian

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

dudeness posted:

He was the only one to actually smoke a death stick.

Elan Sleazebaggano strikes again! Nyahaha!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

exmarx posted:

jar jar and the gungans are pretty clearly coded as italian

Their heaviest ordinance: a spicy meatball

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

TBH this is the biggest sin of the prequels. SW is primarily an aesthetic and the PT aesthetic sucks

sorry to betray you like this but the chrome ships were cool

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
yeah, u can criticise early 2000s cgi all you want but the design is great

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Show me wide shots

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

if i remember correctly this one also made a cool noise

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

zoux posted:

Show me wide shots

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

exmarx posted:

yeah, u can criticise early 2000s cgi all you want but the design is great

This is great design. It's a shame the movie surrounding it was such an irredeemable trainwreck.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
I loving love the design of the CHANCE CUBE.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

dudeness posted:

I loving love the design of the CHANCE CUBE.

you can see that it’s actually a trick die with a 3/4 chance of getting the result you want if rolled properly

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

McCloud posted:

I mean, Yoda starting a war to save the Jedi and the republic and unwittingly playing into the hands of sheev and him being all wars do not make one great is entirely consistent but it seems people missed that so maybe tortured exposition would help hammer the point home in those people.

Yeah I don't know why people seem to have such a hard time with Yoda and Obi-Wan in the originals vs. the prequels. Is it so hard to believe that they might have changed somewhat, or simply reexamined their actions, in the 20ish years between films?

But the same people seem really confused that Luke wasn't just a cool boss Jedi guy in TLJ too so maybe that is too much to ask.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://i.imgur.com/fedN5aB.mp4

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This looks like a vegas lounge

Now this, this is jus pod racing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And now the coup de grace, delievred with your very own post

Nice bannisters. Nothing says star wars like “Roman Catholicism”

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

One of those heads is noted #NeverBernie Greg Proops.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

zoux posted:

And now the coup de grace, delievred with your very own post

Nice bannisters. Nothing says star wars like “Roman Catholicism”

(human) naboo is very clearly baroque-influenced

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
What was Watto hoping to get by gambling against his own slave in the death race that also causes the race cars to explode. If he won the bet, meaning Anakin lost, there was a good chance the Pod Racer, which is what he was gambling for, would be loving gone, and a good chance Anakin, which is what he already has, would die . He always bets on Sebulba anyway so it's not like he needs a loving podracer what the gently caress are you doing Watto you stupid gently caress.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Watto entered Anakin into the race because he stands to win Qui-Gon's incredibly fancy ship if Anakin loses and still gets most of the prize money if he wins. The bet over Anakin himself is a side thing that's obviously conditioned on Anakin not blowing up.

Watto supplied the boy and Qui-Gon (supposedly) supplied the pod, so the deal is that the winner of the bet gets to keep them both. Watto used to have a different pod that he had previously made Anakin race in, so evidently he profits off of entering into other races.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Okay okay, I think I understand now. Well no, I don't, I'm more confused. But I see that I wasn't watching the entire conversation, just the part about Anakin because I was only watching the part that feature chance cubes.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Oh well those are the only two options

THe brooding teen anti-hero stuff is also a huge mistake. There is no world in which whiny "I HATE YOU" Anakin is believably James Earl Jones Darth Vader one day later.

AHAHAHA my dude have you ever actually listened to darth vader? he is a fuckin nerd with a voice changer "what is your bidding my master" motherfucker is a loving vampire larper

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This is cool but by having young anakin in it, reminds me that padme is at best guilty of child grooming

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Elfgames posted:

AHAHAHA my dude have you ever actually listened to darth vader? he is a fuckin nerd with a voice changer "what is your bidding my master" motherfucker is a loving vampire larper

it's a sex thing, and yes i am kinkshaming

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Elfgames posted:

It may surprise you to learn that 99.99999~% of people who have seen the Star Wars movies think Darth Vader is really loving rad.

Not Anakin in the prequels though. That same number of people find him irritating, whiny, and terminally uncool. Literally the only people who don't, and aren't named George Lucas or Hayden Christensen, are ITT right now, actually!

Pick posted:

it's a sex thing, and yes i am kinkshaming

Look at what you did, Elfgames. You made Pick kinkshame. I hope you're happy with yourself.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

It may surprise you to learn that 99.99999~% of people who have seen the Star Wars movies think Darth Vader is really loving rad.

Not Anakin in the prequels though. That same number of people find him irritating, whiny, and terminally uncool. Literally the only people who don't, and aren't named George Lucas or Hayden Christensen, are ITT right now, actually!

Look at what you did, Elfgames. You made Pick kinkshame. I hope you're happy with yourself.

kinkshaming is 30% of pick's posting don't blame me

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

In the third star war ever made, darth vader is revealed to be a sad old man with a lifetime of regrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Elfgames posted:

kinkshaming is 30% of pick's posting don't blame me

this is accurate :hmmyes: