Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
My parents did. My brother and his wife sent them a sous vide... thingy. We are all unsure if this is a regift from their wedding or not, but I just overheard my 75-year old hippie mom wondering aloud how much she should sell it for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

My sister-in-law is vegan. The relatives in England remembered this and so she didn't get the huge box of chocolate everyone else received, but she did get a leather purse. She didn't even take it home.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Good news, I didn't give one. Hubby is going to get the massage.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

normal-rear end vampire posted:

The pro move is one of those cat-shaped toy keyboards that meows when you hit the keys.

I got our 2 year old the frog drum that ribbits when you hit it. It’s boss.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Szyznyk posted:

I got our 2 year old the frog drum that ribbits when you hit it. It’s boss.

We have the cat keyboard and found the dog guitar at a yard sale. Definitely decent kid toys!

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

A Strange Aeon posted:

WTF? I'm picturing you watching your step brother open his gifts and getting excited for yours, only to be puzzled by unwrapping shampoo. Was there any explanation on why you got nothing and your step brother got so much? The disparity should have been obvious to every adult in the room. Grr, the vicarious injustice is even getting me angry!

She kept saying she was going to get it but never did. I think she was trying to overcompensate the "welcome" towards my step brother but it just made me very resentful

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My parents did. My brother and his wife sent them a sous vide... thingy. We are all unsure if this is a regift from their wedding or not, but I just overheard my 75-year old hippie mom wondering aloud how much she should sell it for.

Sous vide is awesome if they like cooking. If they don't, welp bowling ball but if they do encourage them to try it.

The basic idea is a lot of the USDA temps are based on time to kill 100% of harmful crap. So everything bad in chicken dies at 160f in zero seconds.

The same is true at iirc 145 after 5 or 10 minutes. It's impossible to insure that timing with normal cooking but easy with a sous vide. Hell so long as you hit the minimum time you can go over by hours on most foods and it won't be overcooked. It makes nailing tricky foods easy mode.

I'll have a classic double and fries please.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeh I got a friend who does that keto lifestyle and every meal is meat meat and more meat, and the sous vide is a lifesaver

Outside of this scenario I'm not sure if it would get enough use

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Hippie mom may not want to wrap everything she eats in plastic then warm it for a few hours

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My mother gave me a wallet.

Immediately upon opening it, she told me that if I didn't want it, she could use it. I have a good wallet. I have never mentioned being satisfied or dissatisfied with it. I probably have not mentioned wallets at all since buying the one I currently use last year.

She now has the wallet she bought me for Christmas.

I do say, though, that's only borderline a Homer bowling ball and more her being just horrible at giving gifts. I'm an only child and yet the only interests of mine she remembers are interests I had 20 years ago.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
You cannot get Dr Pepper over here for love nor money. I ask for it when I travel, request it to be ordered and mention it to friends, it just can’t be found,

My partner was on a work trip and found two cans about six hours from home. She put them in my Santa sack and we laughed and I was happy.

Then at lunch my daughter gave me an entire case she found in a shop that regularly stocks it 5 minutes from her home.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I took my wife to the department store and said she could pick out anything she wanted for Christmas because I wanted to make sure she got exactly what she wanted.

I gave her a list of suggestions for myself.

I got carry-on luggage. It was not on my list. We haven't been on a plane in two years. So that's going great.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I got 2 t-shirts and booze. My day sucked though since my cat went missing :(

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I did at least get a bottle of brandy from the owner of my kid's music school. He basically gets a free English lesson while I wait in the lobby during my son's hour of piano lessons, so maybe he felt like he owed me.

I'll take a win where I can get one though.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 28, 2021

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Metaline posted:

My sister-in-law is vegan. The relatives in England remembered this and so she didn't get the huge box of chocolate everyone else received, but she did get a leather purse. She didn't even take it home.

Could it be possible that they thought vegan only meant she only didn't eat animal products and had nothing to do with not using animal products at all?

Dunno why they would think that but I could see it being misunderstood as food only because that's usually the only time vegan or vegetarian comes up on anything.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Could it be possible that they thought vegan only meant she only didn't eat animal products and had nothing to do with not using animal products at all?

Dunno why they would think that but I could see it being misunderstood as food only because that's usually the only time vegan or vegetarian comes up on anything.

Oh, they just didn't think it through for sure. She's well-known in her city for being a vegan baker, she loves animals so much that she once worked for Steve Irwin...not using or eating animals is a huge part of her life. It's clear that no one really thought about it. My mother-in-law also got a leather bag from the same place. My boyfriend got a Marvel wallet. He has no interest in Marvel movies or comics and already has a really great (leather, ha) wallet. They just...sent stuff to send stuff, I guess. They don't know me at all so I got a pen from Habitat that felt like an afterthought, but it just so happened to be my style. I really lucked out!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

He basically gets a free English while I wait in the lobby during my son's hour of piano lessons, so maybe he felt like he owed me.

Just to be clear, this is some sort of sexual transaction?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Metaline posted:

Oh, they just didn't think it through for sure. She's well-known in her city for being a vegan baker, she loves animals so much that she once worked for Steve Irwin...not using or eating animals is a huge part of her life. It's clear that no one really thought about it. My mother-in-law also got a leather bag from the same place. My boyfriend got a Marvel wallet. He has no interest in Marvel movies or comics and already has a really great (leather, ha) wallet. They just...sent stuff to send stuff, I guess. They don't know me at all so I got a pen from Habitat that felt like an afterthought, but it just so happened to be my style. I really lucked out!

Got a statuette of Iron Man at a work secret Santa. I have a very slight knowledge of the Marvel stuff, only watching the Ragnarok movie because the guy who did "What we do in the shadows" directed it. Anyway, I open it up in the staff room, and I put on my best, "oh wow, this looks like it was over the $20 budget. . . thanks whoever" act. Not two minutes after we were all done opening our stuff, this other teacher comes over and says how great that was, and that I was really lucky to have it because it's . . . blah, blah, blah, rare, and some special suit that was only in the comics, etc. It was obvious that he bought it for himself, and was not-so-subtly trying to get me to trade him it for the coffee mug and beans he received. I pretended to be oblivious, admitted that I was not that interested in it, wasn't likely to keep it, and probably give it to my nephew. He was getting pretty desperate when I finally left for home. I threw it on Kijiji and sold it for $50, so it was actually a pretty decent gift in that respect.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Blistex posted:

Got a statuette of Iron Man at a work secret Santa. I have a very slight knowledge of the Marvel stuff, only watching the Ragnarok movie because the guy who did "What we do in the shadows" directed it. Anyway, I open it up in the staff room, and I put on my best, "oh wow, this looks like it was over the $20 budget. . . thanks whoever" act. Not two minutes after we were all done opening our stuff, this other teacher comes over and says how great that was, and that I was really lucky to have it because it's . . . blah, blah, blah, rare, and some special suit that was only in the comics, etc. It was obvious that he bought it for himself, and was not-so-subtly trying to get me to trade him it for the coffee mug and beans he received. I pretended to be oblivious, admitted that I was not that interested in it, wasn't likely to keep it, and probably give it to my nephew. He was getting pretty desperate when I finally left for home. I threw it on Kijiji and sold it for $50, so it was actually a pretty decent gift in that respect.

fantastic stuff

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Just to be clear, this is some sort of sexual transaction?

No? My kid goes to the piano room with the piano teacher and the owner who doesn't speak great English chats at me in the lobby when I'd rather be playing my Switch. He does this every week. On our way out on Saturday, he gave me a small bottle of whiskey as a Christmas gift.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
My wife got me a bunch of cordless tools which I think are really cool, but they are kind of Homer bowling ball gifts in a sense because she got them so now I have to do all the poo poo she wants done around the house

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Blistex posted:

:golfclap:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Atlas Hugged posted:

I did at least get a bottle of brandy from the owner of my kid's music school. He basically gets a free English while I wait in the lobby during my son's hour of piano lessons, so maybe he felt like he owed me.

A free English sounds like the most desultory of hand jobs

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Blistex posted:

Things like this confuse me. If he wanted it a niche gift so bad, why not buy it for himself and spend $7 on something with the local sports teams logo? People love those things or know someone who will.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The X-man cometh posted:

Things like this confuse me. If he wanted it a niche gift so bad, why not buy it for himself and spend $7 on something with the local sports teams logo? People love those things or know someone who will.

If I had to guess, he forgot about the gift exchange, and because he's a collector he had this sitting in a box in his apartment. So he already did buy it for himself.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
"be sure to put a little english on it"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Splicer posted:

Empty Sandwich posted:

"be sure to put a little english on it"

These guys get it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My husband got our friend a Switch game to play at our house, thanks!
Our immediate family mostly exchanges coffee, alcohol, and big dinners :3

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Splicer posted:

Definitely less satisfying than a full English.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DamnCanadian posted:

My wife got me a bunch of cordless tools which I think are really cool, but they are kind of Homer bowling ball gifts in a sense because she got them so now I have to do all the poo poo she wants done around the house

So basically some version of 'bought the wife a dishwasher'.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Outrail posted:

I bought my wife a griddle but she requested it to improve her pancake production efficiency.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Stopping by in this thread just to say the Christmas I really figured out there was no Santa Claus as a kid was when I got an air hockey table my dad was super keen on setting up ASAP before the big family dinner that night despite me as a kid expressing no interest in hockey, air hockey and our family really not having the room for an air hockey table. I think I wanted a tamagotchi or something that year which I didn't get lol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The X-man cometh posted:

I'm guessing that his wife gave him an ultimatum about buying more comic book crap, but he saw the Secret Santa as a loophole. "Honey, look what someone gave me".

Which begs the question, why not just buy it and SAY someone gave it to you?

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/spiraltastic/status/1477211070171336704?s=21

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Outrail posted:

One year my dad bought my mom a gift on behalf of me and my sister, that was supposed to be from us. It was a pair of oven mitts. To replace the pair he burned a hole into.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I got my dad an ice cream scoop, to replace the one he ran through the dishwasher after I told him not to put it in the dishwasher.

He is the primary ice cream consumer, though. It's a good scoop too (Zeroll). Just don't run it through the dishwasher, especially right after someone tells you not to

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Anne Whateley posted:

I got my dad an ice cream scoop, to replace the one he ran through the dishwasher after I told him not to put it in the dishwasher.

He is the primary ice cream consumer, though. It's a good scoop too (Zeroll). Just don't run it through the dishwasher, especially right after someone tells you not to

Forgive my ignorance but why can't an ice-cream scoop be cleaned via dishwasher?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

e: oh hey this is interesting:

the website posted:

Sherman Kelly developed the design for the Zeroll Ice Cream Dipper and received a patent.

The dipper was a non-mechanical ice cream scoop, made of cast aluminum, with fluid inside the handle. Its unique design transferred heat from the user’s hand, warming the fluid, which in turn defrosted the ice cream dipper.

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 2, 2022

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

:wtc: Jesus loving balls Dave messed up so bad it isn’t even funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

:wtc: Jesus loving balls Dave messed up so bad it isn’t even funny

If I wasn't completely disillusioned by humanity I'd assume this was a cunningly stupid ploy to goad her into breaking up with him.

Tech bros, not even once.

So that's an NFT right? And it's supposed to appreciate in value or something? How quickly could she sell that $7000 cluster of pixels for $7000 of actual currency?