Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kaedric posted:

I've actually come around on the executioner's sword for Kruber. Light attacks as merc just melt hordes, and the charge attack one-hits blackrats and appears to do a silly amount of damage to bosses (I think this is a 'feature' of the weapon? Head crits seem really high). I tried 2h sword on the dummy but it looks awful, because it does like sweep sweep head attack, which is a bad thing for hordes.

Anyone have experience comparing the two?

i can't really comment on executioner's vs. 2h sword, but i will confirm that the executioner's sword does specifically have a higher multiplier on headshots than other weapons, it's its thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

DPS isn't really a thing to be concerned about with the melee weapons. Rhythm with the weapon (not really a "stat") is what you want to have.

I think the only objectively bad weapon is the Pick - not because of it's DPS but it's rhythm. Everything else can be very good if you're comfortable with it and know the animations and strengths.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

maev posted:

You could go to town for days on how laughable the setting is, Vermintide works because it does precisely what the end times and AoS is about, throws a bunch of people together in a cool setting and makes fights happen.
The setting is a big pile of nonsense, but Vermintide works because it does what WHFB used to do (and 40k for that matter), and hams it up and laughs at itself. "Scunner" is a northern word for "chav", half of Khazalid is either comedy definitions (" chuf" is a piece of cheese kept under your hat for emergencies) or fun homomorphs for existing words ("boga"->" bugger", "duk" means "low-ceilinged tunnel" etc). Bardin / Dwarfs in general are a stereotypical Yorkshireman turned up to 11, the Skaven are inspired by skinheads and neo-nazis, Athel Loren = Alsace-Lorraine, etc. It's reminds me a lot of 2000AD. AoS is bland af, is so alien and unmoored that it's impossible to sympathise with anyone, and tries so hard to be epic at all times that it ends up being deadly dull and uninteresting. It's the ultimate paint-by-numbers forgettable fantasy setting

edit: I guess you could say AoS is kinda to WHFB what the Stallone Judge Dredd film is to the 2000AD Judge Dredd

Zephro fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 24, 2018

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Sorry for the derail, scunners. Bopping rats remains Cool and Good

Zephro fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 24, 2018

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I enjoy using the 2h hammer because when you use it on stormvermin with a light attack and high enough HP it's generally a KO on champ and below. You get to watch their heads get smashed into their shoulderblades like a Looney Tunes sketch.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is anyone else having problems matching into Legend games? I've been waiting for people to join for 10 minutes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zephro posted:

edit: I guess you could say AoS is kinda to WHFB what the Stallone Judge Dredd film is to the 2000AD Judge Dredd

By this good and correct logic, Dredd with Karl Urban is Vermintide and Vermintide 2.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

fadam posted:

Is anyone else having problems matching into Legend games? I've been waiting for people to join for 10 minutes.

It's time dependent. I don't know where you're located but the prime time gaming hour is about 4-5 hours from now and you'd maybe be able to find some others depending on your location. Most people playing Legend are doing so in their personal groups and crews, which I can't blame considering the aptitude of the general player and how the runs have to be totally perfect to pull through and most people can't maintain that level of focus.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
victor saltzpyre versus eternity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg7kW8xe6yI

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm about to start leveling my dwarf, which weapon combo would you guys recommend for a Ranger Veteran?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

I'm about to start leveling my dwarf, which weapon combo would you guys recommend for a Ranger Veteran?

Grudgeraker ranged, dealer's choice melee. Try not to have too much fun :)

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

2h hammer and Grudgeraker.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
2h hammer is great when you get the rhythm down and i'm going to dissent and say handgun because it murders specials at basically any range and doesn't care about armor or headshots, they just Die

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'll do the goony "um, actually" and say that the grudgeraker has a frankly silly range for a videogame shotgun while doing lots, rapidly, to elites of all stripes.

I'll also grant every day of the week that nothing scratches that hard-to-reach blightstormer itch like a handgun, though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, I thought Bardin's talent that increases his ammo pickups was the same from the beta but more vaguely worded, bumping it from 2 ammo to 3, turns out it makes all of his ammo bags give 30% ammo and when I picked them up on saltzpyre I had 8/75 ammo on his pistol when it's normally 8/67.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

fadam posted:

Hell yea I hope they buff Unchained.

Unchained is one of the best classes in the game right now. She just looks meek compared brokenly good characters like BH and Pyro at the moment, but she outclasses just about any other hybrid/melee focus character in her own right

By the way I don't know if this has been posted yet but most of the power based buffs and talents don't work in the game right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vermintide/comments/86qo92/list_of_broken_hero_power_buffs/

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Minorkos posted:

Unchained is one of the best classes in the game right now. She just looks meek compared to BH and Pyro at the moment, but she outclasses just about any other hybrid/melee focus character in her own right

Memo to myself to upload that video of Flamestrike/Mace unchained manfighting two bosses and and inflicting terrible, terrible violence on The World's Shittiest Champion Deed.

I play a lot of Wiz, and I was freakin' humbled how this dude turned Sienna into a Handmaiden-ish control tank.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, I thought Bardin's talent that increases his ammo pickups was the same from the beta but more vaguely worded, bumping it from 2 ammo to 3, turns out it makes all of his ammo bags give 30% ammo and when I picked them up on saltzpyre I had 8/75 ammo on his pistol when it's normally 8/67.

I noticed that in beta. I think since it's not just a full ammo pick up, as long as you have less than max ammo, it just adds 30% of your capacity. So if you're at 95% ammo, you can pick up one of bardin's drops to go up to 125%.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Minorkos posted:

By the way I don't know if this has been posted yet but most of the power based buffs and talents don't work in the game right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vermintide/comments/86qo92/list_of_broken_hero_power_buffs/

Lol, why am I not surprised.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just played my first dwarf game, 2H hammer is a lot of fun. I just have to get used to the 'heavy' attack actually being the sweeping crowd control attack. Will pick up a grudgeraker as soon as I find one.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch out of Veteran Ranger as soon as possible, though. What does my active skill even do? Lose aggro? Why would I want to play this guy as an anti-tank?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Broken Cog posted:

Lol, why am I not surprised.

It explains a lot about why Unchained feels like the fist of an angry god when she's juiced up, by contrast. Since she's actually working as intended.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Notice how that list is 99% melee classes having bugged effects :v:

Also I saw the latest spreadsheet on someone who spawned chests. He got 19 reds from 600 Emperor's Vaults or something. But he just uploaded one where he opened 3000 emp vaults. Out of 9000 items, only 133 reds, and many duplicates of course.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I noticed that in beta. I think since it's not just a full ammo pick up, as long as you have less than max ammo, it just adds 30% of your capacity. So if you're at 95% ammo, you can pick up one of bardin's drops to go up to 125%.

That would be nice to know in place of "increases ammo restored by the pickups" I mean, technically that is a increase in ammo as worded, in the same way as getting a glass of water can mean getting a 50 gallon aquarium.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch out of Veteran Ranger as soon as possible, though. What does my active skill even do? Lose aggro? Why would I want to play this guy as an anti-tank?

You lose aggro for 10 seconds (IIRC, and also enemies that are already swinging at you when you pop smoke will continue so block/push first), which you can use to flank enemy mobs or clear out dudes pounding on a downed ally without being interrupted. Also gives you a ranged damage buff.

It's not popular here, but I've done good work with it (mainly though destroying Stormvermin patrols by taking a sledgehammer to the back of their heads) so I'll vouch for it.

Minorkos posted:

Hah, you're telling me that the Zealot should actually be a lot more stronger than he is? Figures, but I'll be glad when it's fixed because I've finally hit a stride with how the Flail works.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 24, 2018

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Lunethex posted:

It's time dependent. I don't know where you're located but the prime time gaming hour is about 4-5 hours from now and you'd maybe be able to find some others depending on your location. Most people playing Legend are doing so in their personal groups and crews, which I can't blame considering the aptitude of the general player and how the runs have to be totally perfect to pull through and most people can't maintain that level of focus.

word, i cant play more than 2 games without being exhausted no matter how fun it is

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I mean, so does the 2H hammer. What the 2H axe has is speed, which I feel only really stands out against the hammer in comparison when you stack all the attack speed buffs on it. It feels like it only edges out the hammer in terms of DPS against big targets then.

VT1 vets, what made the 2H axe stand out compared to the 2H hammer?

A far more damaging normal attack and a charge attack that damages 4 targets instead of 2. The downside is that it only hits 4 targets instead of infinite and has less stamina

Minorkos posted:

Unchained is one of the best classes in the game right now. She just looks meek compared brokenly good characters like BH and Pyro at the moment, but she outclasses just about any other hybrid/melee focus character in her own right

I knew about the difficulty power cap not working but not all this poo poo :psyduck:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Madcosby posted:

I unlocked my first cosmetic, a headpiece for saltz that looks like a license plate made out of wood and vines

looks dumb as hell, but must wear it because its rare

(pic from the wiki)

Dude that's a Sigmaruto headband.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Today its off to Fort Germanville :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_4pJgSzb-A

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

You lose aggro for 10 seconds (IIRC, and also enemies that are already swinging at you when you pop smoke will continue so block/push first), which you can use to flank enemy mobs or clear out dudes pounding on a downed ally without being interrupted. Also gives you a ranged damage buff.

It's not popular here, but I've done good work with it (mainly though destroying Stormvermin patrols by taking a sledgehammer to the back of their heads) so I'll vouch for it.

Yeah, experimenting with it a bit, it actually seem pretty useful. Lets you get in some free hits.

I'm guessing you guys with the grudgerakers all took Hunter's Eye as your first talent? The 5% attack speed seems useful too, but it's a little underwhelming.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, experimenting with it a bit, it actually seem pretty useful. Lets you get in some free hits.

I'm guessing you guys with the grudgerakers all took Hunter's Eye as your first talent? The 5% attack speed seems useful too, but it's a little underwhelming.

Nah man, it's the attack speed all the way for me. Even if it seems miniscule, it feels like faster attack speed is basically faster melee weapon animations, so I take it just to do everything I need with a beatstick faster.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's moot now, since I decided to switch into Ironbreaker after all, with Stoutfellow and Gazul's Duty. Proper tank.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Scandalous posted:

Vermintide works because it’s the story of a slow burn romance between a crotchety old man and the cheery young drunkard who glacially warms his bitter heart.

Kruber: “Good strike sir, but keep your elbow up - your guard’s open.”
Salzpyre: “YOU DARE LECTURE M- ... thank you, Sergeant. I shall consider your advice.”

Bonus points: kruber, reviving saltzpyre: “No weakness, please, sir. Not in front of the others.”

Kruber: "Here, sir, let me patch you up."
Salzpyre: "Reliable as ever, sergeant..."

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kruber can’t be in love with saltzpyre because saltzpyre is in love with fuegonasus, and bardin is in love with kruber.

no one is in love with the elf

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

kruber can’t be in love with saltzpyre because saltzpyre is in love with fuegonasus, and bardin is in love with kruber.

no one is in love with the elf

The elf is.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Blinks77 posted:

The elf is.

this is how the circle remains unbroken

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kerillian totally has the hots for Kruber. Watch where you put those hands (;))

I just imagine during downtime the three chill characters are hanging out together, and the two assholes are sitting by themselves, not saying a word.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Phlegmish posted:

Kerillian totally has the hots for Kruber. Watch where you put those hands (;))

I just imagine during downtime the three chill characters are hanging out together, and the two assholes are sitting by themselves, not saying a word.

Which are the two assholes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which are the two assholes.

Kerillian, and Kerillian.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was going to say Kerillian and Saltzpyre, but I guess Saltzpyre doesn't hate the entire rest of the party, just 50% of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There was a great loading screen in Vermintide 1 that was the group hanging out at the inn and Kerillian was just sulking in a corner.