Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So are we going to see any true 3D games this generation that will require having a 3D TV? I know that we may be getting a patch down the road to play 3D blurays, but that is probably a different animal from expecting to be able to play video games with the same glasses that movies require.

All 3d is is splitting the image in half and showing something different on each half. Then you use your tv controls to combine them. There were true 3d games last generation and im sure there will be this generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Serf Surviving posted:

Do the controllers turn orange while charging in standby mode? Because I've tried charging them in standby and it just never worked. I've been a bit nervous about putting it into perma-sleep mode all the time, even though it's super beneficial. I just don't want random power outages to give me safe-mode scares.

They do. If they don't, there's a setting to check. I'm at work so can't look at it but I think it's under Settings -> Power save. Will let you choose what functions are available during standby. (Like USB charging.)

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I bet most PS3 ports will support 3D, even if they didn't before, but I don't see many PS4 games doing it. Sony pushed 3D hard, and when it didn't gain much traction they sort of abandoned it.

ExCruceLeo posted:

You can't play 3d blu rays right now? I didn't know that.

It will be patched later. I don't even think the Xbone supports them yet either, for whatever reason.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So are we going to see any true 3D games this generation that will require having a 3D TV? I know that we may be getting a patch down the road to play 3D blurays, but that is probably a different animal from expecting to be able to play video games with the same glasses that movies require.

3D is over, man. Consumers don't care and developers have to make the game look worse to handle it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm avoiding the AC4 thread for fear of spoilers but I have a question. I just got to the point where (Thatch, I think his name was) is showing me how to sail off Salty Bank. I have to get 70 Metal off Military Brigs. Well I fought one (over and over, they are tough) and finally got it, but it was 65 metal only. So I fought and survived a second one. But all the sudden is world war 3 on the water and I'm toast.

Any tips? Am I missing something obvious?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Serf Surviving posted:

Do the controllers turn orange while charging in standby mode? Because I've tried charging them in standby and it just never worked. I've been a bit nervous about putting it into perma-sleep mode all the time, even though it's super beneficial. I just don't want random power outages to give me safe-mode scares.

Eh I'm not so sure what makes it super beneficial to put it in standby all the time. Standby seems like a mode that's good for every now and then, like when a patch is going to be released that night or your controller finally runs out of juice. The difference between booting from cold and from standby mode is a few seconds. I guess for the people out there who play games every day for 6 hours it's nice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

I'm avoiding the AC4 thread for fear of spoilers but I have a question. I just got to the point where (Thatch, I think his name was) is showing me how to sail off Salty Bank. I have to get 70 Metal off Military Brigs. Well I fought one (over and over, they are tough) and finally got it, but it was 65 metal only. So I fought and survived a second one. But all the sudden is world war 3 on the water and I'm toast.

Once you become able to board and take ships, you can also let them go free to remove your wanted level.

At that point in the game, just run. Take off for a dock. The next objective is to upgrade part of your ship, then pay off a guy to remove wanted level.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Feenix posted:

It may be better for you to bring them to the point where you can board them and ignore them/use them as shield until you dealt with the other ship around. If your life get too low, you board one of them (invulnerable while you do) and use the option to repair your ship after the boarding.

EDIT : To add to Aphrodite, you can also manage your wanted level by attacking small ships, boarding them and letting them go free after. That remove a whole wanted level while still being technically piracy.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Dantes posted:

It may be better for you to bring them to the point where you can board them and ignore them/use them as shield until you dealt with the other ship around. If your life get too low, you board one of them (invulnerable while you do) and use the option to repair your ship after the boarding.

EDIT : To add to Aphrodite, you can also manage your wanted level by attacking small ships, boarding them and letting them go free after. That remove a whole wanted level while still being technically piracy.

Additionally, you can sorta cheese the naval combat if you get surrounded. Get one guy down to boarding range and board him. Your ship stops taking damage and/or being attacked, but other ships still move around and somewhat ignore you. Thus you've sorta reset the positioning and give yourself a stress break if you've got like 4 guys on you.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
I live in Saudi Arabia and just got mine now, the guy who sold it to me said it works with 220 and 110v but I'm not entirely sure... does anyone know if the system is universal power? I have the US version obviously :)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Serf Surviving posted:

I don't think it starts charging your controller until it's at the 2/3 energy mark. If you play with a full controller for about 30 minutes and then try to charge it, it won't do it.

EDIT: vvvvvvv You can do Kenway's Fleet thingie from the iPad when the PS4's off. It's pretty cool. Actually, I find it a lot more convenient to manage from the iPad since you don't need to keep going back to your captain's quarters.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 20, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Can I do the Kenways Fleet thing completely from an iPad without booting up the game on my PS4 and have the progress carry over when I do boot it up the PS4? Or have them both running at the same time? It's really fun for some reason.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Ularg posted:

Can I do the Kenways Fleet thing completely from an iPad without booting up the game on my PS4 and have the progress carry over when I do boot it up the PS4? Or have them both running at the same time? It's really fun for some reason.
Is the travel time shorter on the iPad or is it still hours to wait to cross the atlantic ?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Feenix posted:

I just did that. Try to find solitary brigs on the water and fight them. If you have to get mixed up with more than 1 ship try to make sure another brig isnt sailing in the direction. A brig+schooner isnt too bad. Use bracing alot. Shoot them in the butt. Board them and repair.

I fought 2 brigs+1 schooner at the same time and managed to come out on top by just maneuvering better than them and boarding to become invulnerable/repair. Use your spyglass to identify ships/watch the horizon. Look at your map and see the direction the ships are heading.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ularg posted:

You cannot capture ships on the iPad. You can do everything else.

Basically anything you can do when you go in your ship and press O on that map, you can do except friend acceleration/healing.

Dantes posted:

Is the travel time shorter on the iPad or is it still hours to wait to cross the atlantic ?

No, it's the same.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Azmodaii posted:

I live in Saudi Arabia and just got mine now, the guy who sold it to me said it works with 220 and 110v but I'm not entirely sure... does anyone know if the system is universal power? I have the US version obviously :)

Saudi goons represent :respek: (though I haven't lived there for 6-7 years now)

The ifixit teardown says that it's 100-240 volt so you should be good to go.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Feenix posted:

Just get the gently caress out of there, basically. I had to travel speed away from hunters at that point. I think even if you die, you keep what you loot (I got creamed after I got the first 65 and kept it), so it may not a big deal if you get sunk now anyway.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Aphrodite posted:

You cannot capture ships on the iPad. You can do everything else.

Basically anything you can do when you go in your ship and press O on that map, you can do except friend acceleration/healing.

No, it's the same.

Sweet. It's basically an idea I had to do when the timers are up to get them going again when I'm docked.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I left my console in standby mode last night to download the patch, but it didn't work. The patch downloaded but didn't install. When I tried to install it, there was an error and it failed. Then it re-downloaded the patch and installed it just fine. But that was annoying. Hopefully next time it's able to download and install the patch in standby without me doing anything.

Also, it's annoying how game patches don't download until after you start the game. It should instantly check for patches the second you insert the disc and the game proper begins installing, not after you launch it.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Bass Bottles posted:

Also, it's annoying how game patches don't download until after you start the game. It should instantly check for patches the second you insert the disc and the game proper begins installing, not after you launch it.

That's also the case for the PS3 and Vita, so it's annoying (although not terribly surprising) that's still the case.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AssFlag patched and installed for me last night while I had BF4 in there. Was pretty neat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why oh why did they have to go back to capacitive buttons? The real buttons on the slim were so much better.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
So, any reports of updates bricking systems this time around, like the PS3 days of yore?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Who Dat posted:

So, any reports of updates bricking systems this time around, like the PS3 days of yore?

Wait what? Did you miss the last several days of life or something?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bass Bottles posted:

I left my console in standby mode last night to download the patch, but it didn't work. The patch downloaded but didn't install. When I tried to install it, there was an error and it failed. Then it re-downloaded the patch and installed it just fine. But that was annoying. Hopefully next time it's able to download and install the patch in standby without me doing anything.

It probably doesn't want to try and do system-level updates while in standby in case something goes catastrophically wrong (like a power outage or whatever) in the middle. Imagine just waking up to a bricked PS4 with no idea why. It does seem to autopatch games in standby at least. Mine did patch as soon as I booted up without a redownload, so I'm not sure why you got an error on your download.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Why oh why did they have to go back to capacitive buttons? The real buttons on the slim were so much better.

I share the sentiment, I really liked the return of physical buttons. Who knows what the revised PS4 will look like in a few years though.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Anyone who has done some video uploading, I have my facebook publish set to friends only. Pictures upload fine to friends, but videos are showing as uploading to 'Me only'. It says to change the setting by going to PSN->link with services->etc, but that menu shows it as being set to friends. Whats the dealio?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

StarkRavingMad posted:

It probably doesn't want to try and do system-level updates while in standby in case something goes catastrophically wrong (like a power outage or whatever) in the middle. Imagine just waking up to a bricked PS4 with no idea why. It does seem to autopatch games in standby at least. Mine did patch as soon as I booted up without a redownload, so I'm not sure why you got an error on your download.

...but a power outage could also occur if it weren't in standby. It's not like having someone there watching it update makes the power stay on when it otherwise wouldn't.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Feenix posted:

Wait what? Did you miss the last several days of life or something?

I have an 11 month old with RSV, so yeah. This thread moves fast also. I know about systems being DOA or the hdmi issue. I'm a terrible person. :smith:

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Saudi goons represent :respek: (though I haven't lived there for 6-7 years now)

The ifixit teardown says that it's 100-240 volt so you should be good to go.

Thanks man... expat or Saudi? Been living here for 4 years now, and It's not half bad! :)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

macnbc posted:

...but a power outage could also occur if it weren't in standby. It's not like having someone there watching it update makes the power stay on when it otherwise wouldn't.

No, but you can set up a perimeter to keep meddling children and raccoons away from the power cable when you initiate it manually.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Just started up warframe for the first time. PSN is tpotts87

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Am I the only one that has a couple of UPS' that all my electronic gear plugs into? It only gives me maybe three or four minutes assuming one console, the receiver, and the TV are all on, but that's enough time to (a) shut down everything after a power outage and (b) not worry about weird power stuff in the middle of updates.

I also have my router, modem, and server plugged into one. The server shuts off after five minutes without power, but the router/modem lasts HOURS on the UPS. It's awesome.

Edit: 1.51 downloaded for me but didn't install, with the system on standby. Ah well, at least it downloaded!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Who Dat posted:

I have an 11 month old with RSV, so yeah. This thread moves fast also. I know about systems being DOA or the hdmi issue. I'm a terrible person. :smith:

How dare you value a child over video games!!

Some dumbass intentionally unplugged his console while it was updating and it bricked, but I haven't heard about anything else and I've been reading every post since I'm childless/work too much and my console was delayed for stupid reasons.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Wikipedia Brown posted:

No, but you can set up a perimeter to keep meddling children and raccoons away from the power cable when you initiate it manually.

Yeah and at least you'd know what happened and that it's not just some random hardware failure. Since downloading the update is the time-consuming part and installing it is the potentially dangerous part. I can understand why they'd do it this way. At least if something goes off the rails you know what's up and can go directly to trying to do a safe mode update from USB or whatever.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

EC posted:

Am I the only one that has a couple of UPS' that all my electronic gear plugs into? It only gives me maybe three or four minutes assuming one console, the receiver, and the TV are all on, but that's enough time to (a) shut down everything after a power outage and (b) not worry about weird power stuff in the middle of updates.

I have one too, but Sony can't assume that. It's annoying, but you can't really blame them for being cautious.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

leidend posted:

How dare you value a child over video games!!

Some dumbass intentionally unplugged his console while it was updating and it bricked, but I haven't heard about anything else and I've been reading every post since I'm childless/work too much and my console was delayed for stupid reasons.

I would guess there is a backup non-volatile storage of the OS/bootrom image that you can reset like clearing the CMOS on your motherboard to restore default BIOS. Though Sony might have this hidden away somewhere and will charge you to send it in and be cleared by a technician.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I hope they bring DLNA support back soon. I realize that I basically give up listening to music if I don't have my PC on. And I don't have my PC on if I don't want to play a video game on it. And the PS4 has removed my want to play PC games.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
also a question I have to ask, if we have a US psn account, will we have to play against/with players in the US only online? Or will I get people regardless of region? Anyone know if it works like this for the PS3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Who Dat posted:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude, just shocked if you didn't know about PS4's bricking on Launch Day. :)

• Locked thread