Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

MiiNiPaa posted:

Is that the fight that first time hits you out of the blue, without warning, which will decimate your facility, because it is not ready for that level of combat, and will force you to restart from day one, because it is impossibly for you in this stage of the game to handle it and its gimmick?

Yes, I am still bitter about game outright lying to me about threat levels.

I have no idea what you are talking about, this game has never once misled anyone ever, no siree. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Oh good I still got my totally and completely human employee in. :allears: I'm sure he and Kaori can get to the bottom of D.A.D. being an alien.

The hair is a nice touch for fitting in. Well, would have been, as I'm guessing they were looking for a job in a different underground facility.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
What the hell are you planning Binah

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

TeeQueue posted:

To make a long story very short: it's bad.

To make a short story very long: its armor is very easily the worst ALEPH armor in the game, its super special unique quirk isn't really particularly useful, and it has... Well, the third most damaging weapon in the ALEPH tier by a comfortable margin, but it deals White damage and so is useless for the one fight left that I care about damage for. Its main points are being super cool looking, and having an E.G.O Gift that is literally a monocle.

...overall it's really just not worth the effort required to contain it, especially given that I need to focus on power right now.
The visual design for it looks amazing, but it seems like it really needs better EGO to make dealing with it worth it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One neat touch in the department design is how they get more abstract the farther down you go. The ones at the top layer are relatively normal looking (at least, in a sci-fi way). Rooms with lots of consoles and machines and so on. Next level down you have the theatre/cathedral (catheatredral?) looking Central, and Disciplinary and Welfare are both like, impossibly huge caverns. Then the layer down after that you get "weird melting clock towers and hundreds of obelisks inscribed with glowing writing"

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

After a long day and (not really) stressful of being the super bestest employee there ever was by taming the most dangerous abnormality in the facility, and getting geared up for the promotion she's almost certainly getting tomorrow, Dimi cools off in a dark hallway somewhere lit only by the TV, relaxing by playing a game she deliberately knows is bad so she can rant online about how bad it is to gain clout. Focused entirely on the only thing that matters, she doesn't even register the sound of EvilKit laughing somewhere off in the distance mischievously, nor the sound of the Second Trumpet blaring out across the facility.

(Yes it's super self-indulgent, no I don't care that it's super self-indulgent)

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ok but what garbage game is Dimi playing

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

the Orb of Zot posted:

Ok but what garbage game is Dimi playing

Are you sure you want to find out?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm a little sad you didn't put the next Abno in Extraction, because I think it'd be really appropriate on theming.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Is everyone ready to feel the LOVE? :getin:

:hmmrona::slime::slime::slime:

The Ringbearer
Mar 1, 2016
Out of curiosity, are there any abno's you're actively aiming for?

And are there others you're deliberately avoiding?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I recall something called THE TRAIN being mentioned at some point as being an absolute, 100% no-go, but I'm not sure if there were any other in that category.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

At least it's not Stygian.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I'm pretty sure TQ will show them all off in time, but there are definitely some horrible, godawful abnos that you never want in your facility for various reasons, the worst of which being THE TRAIN which has been alluded to.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Would forcing abnormalities to play that count as repression work?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

DimiPZC posted:

After a long day and (not really) stressful of being the super bestest employee there ever was by taming the most dangerous abnormality in the facility, and getting geared up for the promotion she's almost certainly getting tomorrow, Dimi cools off in a dark hallway somewhere lit only by the TV, relaxing by playing a game she deliberately knows is bad so she can rant online about how bad it is to gain clout. Focused entirely on the only thing that matters, she doesn't even register the sound of EvilKit laughing somewhere off in the distance mischievously, nor the sound of the Second Trumpet blaring out across the facility.

(Yes it's super self-indulgent, no I don't care that it's super self-indulgent)

In the grimdark future of Lobcorp, there is still terrible romhacks :allears:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I'm pretty sure TQ will show them all off in time, but there are definitely some horrible, godawful abnos that you never want in your facility for various reasons, the worst of which being THE TRAIN which has been alluded to.

It'd be high on my list, but not number 1. That will be interesting to discuss when the LP wraps up.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Evil Kit posted:

In the grimdark future of Lobcorp, there is still terrible romhacks :allears:

The creators being on Enkephalin could only improve matters.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Forgot to ask before, TQ since you mentioned asking about the abno choice on Discor, is there a LobCorp/Project Moon channel?

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 2, 2020

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Yes hello, I'd like to report an abnormality breach to the Manager please.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Yes hello, I'd like to report an abnormality breach to the Manager please.
Not even Mizu would like that one.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 2, 2020

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The rom isn't an abno.

It's their EGO Gift.

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010

TeeQueue posted:

... Its main points are being super cool looking, and having an E.G.O Gift that is literally a monocle.

I'm very not okay with Boksi not having this. :(

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Cogito is the bucket in the metaphor I think. If the water in the well is the human subconscious and the water brought up is the E.G.O and Abnormalities then Cogito is the bucket that carries that water out of the well.

The Japanese word for water is 'Mizu' so uhhhh

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

— Manager! I cannot find any mention of hiring someone called Mizu! However, we should have been getting a new Abnormality that day, but we got nothing, leaving us only with One Sin as first day choice...

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Probably better that way. Imagine starting with an Aleph on the first day.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I hit a bug where after a day one reset I started with Big Bird instead of One Sin. Very fast leveling.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah that's the storage bug where if you had an abnormality choice but couldn't place it (like the LP shows on Day 30 when it went 5 into welfare), it still remembers it after the reset and automatically puts it into the next open slot.

Big Bird is probably one of the strongest picks to receive that treatment honestly.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Well now I imagine Mizu to basically be an abnormality brought forth from the minds of the LobCorp Employees of what management must want them to be.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

BurningStone posted:

I hit a bug where after a day one reset I started with Big Bird instead of One Sin. Very fast leveling.

Very fast leveling! Absolutely terrifying breaches!

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Mecha_Face posted:

Very fast leveling! Absolutely terrifying breaches!

My insistence on learning all the abnormalities without looking anything up has led to many terrifying breaches. And resets. So many resets.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Okay so I got food poisoning a couple days ago and haven't really been doing much of anything. I have managed to get the next batch of needed recordings done, which is nice, and also capture footage through day 39 gameplay, which is nice. Hopefully we'll have a BCP up this evening for Parasite tree.

Setting that aside, let's not talk about the glitch everyone was just talking about. I'm gonna show it off and I assure you it's way more flexible than you're assuming. Unless you already know exactly how it works, in which case it's exactly that flexible. S'a good glitch.

:stonklol: bringing that cursed game into the facility. We're gonna need a new cell for it.

The Ringbearer posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any abno's you're actively aiming for?

And are there others you're deliberately avoiding?

I will not take TRAIN unless I plan to immediately reset after getting its data, and I have one more on my list of 'must takes,' but at the moment I'm probably going to try passing on anything too inconvenient to deal with because we're already juggling Parasite Tree and it's only going to get worse.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

Okay so I got food poisoning a couple days ago and haven't really been doing much of anything.
Warning: despite its name, The Perfect Food is not to be consumed.

The Ringbearer
Mar 1, 2016

TeeQueue posted:

I will not take TRAIN unless I plan to immediately reset after getting its data, and I have one more on my list of 'must takes,' but at the moment I'm probably going to try passing on anything too inconvenient to deal with because we're already juggling Parasite Tree and it's only going to get worse.

Alright, I just meant in the postgame, where we feed Paul to the abno's you can't/won't get in the facility.

I'm looking forward to the next round of suppressions. This thread and your writing has really elevated this game for me, and it's been something to forward to in this shitshow of a year. Keep up the good work, TQ.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

X-394 is a big facility, full of mysterious creatures known as Abnormalities. Many of these Abnormalities can do very bad things if they're handled improperly, and it's vitally important that our agents know just what may happen if they're careless. What's a manager to do?

Episode 4: Parasite Tree

Music: trailer

Hi! I'm Paul! Just your everyday plucky employee of Lobotomy Cobotomy, here today to talk about Parasite Tree!

Parasite Tree, if handled correctly, can be a boon! However, more caution is required than most Abnormalities due to its special properties.

Special properties? Well, I'm ready to get to researching those when you are, Miss Hod! So, what do we have to do?

That's simple! The first step is to get yourself blessed!

Holy stromboli, Miss Hod! I feel like a new employee!

Every time Parasite Tree blesses an agent, it gains a glowing bulb! Nothing happens until we get to five of them, so the Abnormality can be worked safely until then.

Wait, five of them? Does that mean I get another team?

It sure does! Today, everyone in Disciplinary will be getting a Blessing, just to see what happens.

Oh boy! I guess THAT means it's time for a montage!

Right you are, Paul! It's montage time!

Music: 70s Montage!

That's the way! Feel the blessing permeating the essence of your very self!

Please remember to take note of the lights appearing after the completion of each blessing.

Blessings can be removed by the termination of the employee holding one. Don't forget!

This is our fourth blessing. We're really on the highway to the Danger Zone, now!

Remember to clear off a blessing when you hit this point, or else you could wind up in a big pinch!

Frolicking foliage, this sure makes five!

That's right! When the tree makes five fruits, several things happen very quickly!

Is one of them letting us keep the montage music, Miss Hod? I really like it.

No! :buddy:

Music: trailer

Oh man, nobody's looking so hot anymore!

The first effect of Parasite Tree is that anyone blessed by it panics immediately-but not with a normal panic. Instead, the employees all run around to spread through the facility as much as possible.

It sounds like an excellent workout!

It sure is, Paul! But that's the last workout they'll ever get. I think it's almost time for the second effect now. Let's watch.

Yowie wowie, that looked painful! Is this why they say the Mary Jane is bad for you?

Don't be silly, Paul! Marijuana can't turn you into a tree. This is all the work of a mismanaged Abnormality. Speaking of, let's take a look back at it!

Woah! It cranked the edginess up to eleven!

It can't be worked while it's in this state, so it's important to clear out all the associated employees in order to make it profitable for our company again!

Oh no! That's not good! Speaking of the employees, though, what superpowers do I get now that I've turned into a totally radical shrub?

Saplings, as they're called, have only one attack. They release a deadly neurotoxin into the air that deals White damage to everyone in the room. Be careful-any agent who panics due to this attack will run away and turn into another Sapling!

Amazing! That's just like a chain combo in one of my home video games!

You can definitely think of it like that, but luckily our agents are competent enough to defeat them. Even Central Command 2's Captain Boksi is helping!

It's super inspiring just how much everyone pitches in at work around here!

That's because maintaining a positive work environment is mandatory!

Hey! They're smacking me now!

There's no need to worry at all. Anyone who's been transformed into a Sapling is beyond saving-they can still feel pain, but they can't possibly express it in any way.

Always remember, cutting down your co-workers is A-OK if they're getting in the way of energy production!

That's right, Paul! Now, let's watch what happens to Parasite Tree when the final Sapling is suppressed.

Coniferous cupressaceae! It's right back to normal!

Now that it's back in this state, we can resume working with it again. Just remember to never let the lights get to five, and you'll be just fine!

Wow, Miss Hod! It's a good thing we have a Manager to keep track of all of this for us. Just thinking about it makes my head all hurty.

That's why your job as an Agent is to just do as you're told! Well, that's all the time we have today. Thanks for joining us! And remember…

Knowledge is just pain plus observation! Have a great day!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Also, I've been putting it off but I'm going to spend the part of today kind of updating the art post and the Ordeals Mechanics Talk page. Thanks to all of you who are always makin' cool stuff, or showing up to say things, or whatever. This thread has been a pretty awesome time so far, nearly 100 pages into it.

Up next is a fairly easy story day, then suppression town again, so things may slow down. Or speed up. Or stay the same. Honestly, who the hell knows what the schedule will be, I just post things as I write them. :shrug:

I can at least say that I've recorded all of Tiphereth and done the YouTube run of Chesed. For those of you doing the math: yes that means day 40 is exactly who you think it is. :getin:

Tatters
Jan 29, 2020
After how much the first update made my laugh these Better Call Paul segments are like a gift from an especially flakey god with exactly my sense of humor.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'm always happy to learn with Paul! Parasite Tree is really cool but such a pain.

I know training videos is Hod's thing, but a lot of the stuff she says in these segments sure sound more like something Malkuth would say!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

eternaldough posted:

I'm always happy to learn with Paul! Parasite Tree is really cool but such a pain.

I know training videos is Hod's thing, but a lot of the stuff she says in these segments sure sound more like something Malkuth would say!

Day 28, Gameplay posted:

Manager! Hod and I have some news.

You're going to love this-we put our heads together and revamped the entire agent training course.

We've already taken the liberty of trying it with a new recruit, and the results can't be overstated. This is a total game-changer!

...holy crap. Good work, you two.

We know who's been writing the scripts, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Teamwork makes the dream work :v: