Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Captain Foo posted:

it appears you have committed to not issuing a new thread title, but then a new thread title was issued

:golfclap:

what went well:
• prior thread title will be not be revoked due to secfuck concerns of our goonposters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Captain Foo posted:

it appears you have committed to not issuing a new thread title, but then a new thread title was issued

we are recommending to all of our subscribers that they not change titles, but some of them are in very important threads

Prevent

2024-05-21

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Subjunctive posted:

we are recommending to all of our subscribers that they not change titles, but some of them are in very important threads

Prevent

2024-05-21

Hahahhaha

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Thank you for your comments and questions. Your entrussy will be addressed in our June 7 report to Mozilla.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
c secfuck s: at the office we've collectively gone down a rabbit hole that started with "hey, why is there an internet-equipped air conditioner somewhere trying to resolve weird DNS queries" and is now onto "why is this internet-equipped air conditioner running SSLv3 and nothing newer"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

charitable answer: scada?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kazinsal posted:

c secfuck s: at the office we've collectively gone down a rabbit hole that started with "hey, why is there an internet-equipped air conditioner somewhere trying to resolve weird DNS queries" and is now onto "why is this internet-equipped air conditioner running SSLv3 and nothing newer"

I feel like a better question should be "why is there an internet equipped air conditioner on the general network instead of vlan'd into its own little corner?"

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

when people said entrust's institutional failures would have a chilling effect on the ecosystem i definitely didn't have this outcome in mind

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

SSLv3 is probably the least of your worries here

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Raymond T. Racing posted:

when people said entrust's institutional failures would have a chilling effect on the ecosystem i definitely didn't have this outcome in mind

:golfclap:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

:tipshat:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Captain Foo posted:

Subjunctive posted:

Prevent

2024-05-21

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Captain Foo posted:

it was clearly stated that IF a new thread title would be re-issued, the content of the thread would remain the same.

we'll provide another update on the thread by 6-28-2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:yosnice:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Lmao high security cooling fan

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I gotta buy Ben an account.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1886532#c21

Our new friend gives an update (and doesn't answer Wayne's leading questions but cest la vie):

quote:

Here is our progress:

18,088 of 26,668 (67.8%) certificates have been revoked or expired.
17,894 revoked.
194 expired.
1,449 certificates have been re-issued with revocation pending.
910 out of 944 customer accounts (96.4%) have fully remediated the issue (certificates re-issued and old certificates revoked or expired).
Attached is the information per customer, we are working with each subscriber to accelerate the time to revocation, of the remaining 8580 certificates.

good news: they do provide a spreadsheet of subscriber breakdown of delayed certs
bad news: of the 8 thousand pending certs, there's only six reasons given in total and the breakdown looks like this

eta: there's 7 here due to pivot table weirdness, but it's definitely 6

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 22, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Our new friend gives an update (and doesn't answer Wayne's leading questions but cest la vie):

good news: they do provide a spreadsheet of subscriber breakdown of delayed certs
bad news: of the 8 thousand pending certs, there's only six reasons given in total and the breakdown looks like this

... So what do they do when it's the regular cert expiration time? Are all teams choreographed months in advance so that they can all turn the key simultaneously?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

quote:

Revoking the affected certificates within the prescribed deadline may cause significant harm; the certificates are used in critical infrastructure and cannot be safely replaced prior to the revocation deadline. The Subscriber needs additional time to coordinate replacement with multiple teams, external companies and with change management process/windows.

I'm on a razor's edge of doxxing myself and posting for the first time to this incident report.

What a loving joke.

Hey assholes, if this was as a result of key compromise your self made up "extensions" and "exceptions" are a joke.

As a CA you literally cannot grant extensions, exceptions or exclusions from BR agreed policies.

As a CA by virtue of being allowed the privilege of issuing certificates on behalf of the Internet you're beholden to aforementioned policies.

That they posted redacted customer names when they're all publicly available via CT logs is laughable.

Volmarias posted:

... So what do they do when it's the regular cert expiration time? Are all teams choreographed months in advance so that they can all turn the key simultaneously?

Most companies roll their certs when they receive an alert from their NOC or monitoring systems telling them a cert is expiring within 48 hours.

72 if they're functionally competent and doing it manually.

60+ days is a joke and only because Entrust basically said "don't worry about rushing this because WE won't revoke your certs because you're paying us and we understand that your company doesn't want to do this under duress.

The emails that Entrust sent out to their customers/subscribers basically said, "we may have done an oopsie, WE however do not believe it was that big of an oopsie, and we're going to give you as much time as we can possibly stall for, because we fundamentally don't believe WE were in the wrong, some mean people on the Internet with our entire business model in the balance however do, and we have a proven track record of being able to deflect these issues and issue statements stating we will not screw up this way in the future, and they've believed us in the past, as such we're going to give you as much time as you find convenient to do what we've asked (replace these certs) and keep the charade going for us."

What Entrust should have been [morally, and contractually] obligated to say is:

"It has come to our attention through a third party that we mis-issued certificates, which your account was part of, and under the CA/B agreed upon guidance of 4.20.69 (insert more here) this/these certificates <serials> will be revoked in 5 business days under CA/B agreed upon guideline(s) <relevant parts> please reissue your affected certificates <list> via our portal or contact our customer support at 1-888-867-5309 for further information"

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 22, 2024

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Volmarias posted:

they set a calendar reminder 3 months in advance to start looking for a new job so that it's someone else's problem

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

lmao all of those are the same reason just with slightly different/reordered words

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

Hey assholes, if this was as a result of key compromise your self made up "extensions" and "exceptions" are a joke.

As a CA you literally cannot grant extensions, exceptions or exclusions from BR agreed policies.

sure they can it's right there

and by doing so they get a competitive advantage through creating less hassle for their customers than the other CAs would

race to the bottom baby

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hehehe

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

as mentioned itt entrust did provide a vague breakdown on cpsuri, but i've fixed their terrible reasons and gave a breakdown per-subscriber: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1886532#c24

also i made a post on m-d-s-p that's been in my back of my mind for a bit: https://groups.google.com/u/1/a/mozilla.org/g/dev-security-policy/c/OKzHYta8AxM

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Telia posted their analysis, in which I could find no mention of their internal subscribers refusing to cooperate. And no action items about not letting internal company politics override their responsibility as a CA…

edited to add a link
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1896108

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

zokie posted:

Telia posted their analysis, in which I could find no mention of their internal subscribers refusing to cooperate. And no action items about not letting internal company politics override their responsibility as a CA…

edited to add a link
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1896108
ya that's the incident for the initial problem, any delayed revocation actions are held in a different incident: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1896553

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Curious if anyone plans to ask Telia "If a similar incident happens in 1 month, where an error in the certificate is considered unimportant to the customer, will they also be allowed to delay revocation in violation of policy? If so, why even have the policy, since apparently it is optional? If not, can you confirm that you would in fact revoke the certificate even if the subscriber is responsible for critical infrastructure?"

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1886532#c25

quote:

(In reply to Wayne from comment #18)

Thank you for your comments, Wayne. A breakdown with these details by affected certificate is in the attachment 9403115 [details].

finally replies to Wayne's old post and ignores the actual breakdown with feedback

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

finally replies to Wayne's old post and ignores the actual breakdown with feedback

lol they didn't actually give all the details. basically none of the dates requested were provided and the reasons are such horseshit:

44 of them have the base reason and nothing else "Revoking the affected certificates within the prescribed deadline may cause significant harm; the certificates are used in critical infrastructure and cannot be safely replaced prior to the revocation deadline."

16 have this reason in addition to base reason:

"Subscriber advises that it uses a manual process of installation for replacing the affected certificates, which takes more time. The Subscriber needs additional time to coordinate replacement with multiple teams, external companies and with change management process/windows."

2218 have the base reason plus this:

"The Subscriber needs additional time to coordinate replacement with multiple teams, external companies and with change management process/windows."

5928 with base reason plus this:

"The Subscriber needs additional time to coordinate replacement with multiple teams, external companies and with change management process/windows. Subscriber advises that it uses a manual process of installation for replacing the affected certificates, which takes more time."

7 with this:

"The Subscriber needs additional time to coordinate replacement with multiple teams, external companies and with change management process/windows. The Subscriber needs additional time to coordinate replacement with multiple teams, external companies and with change management process/windows."

367 with the base and this:

"The Subscriber needs additional time to coordinate replacement with multiple teams, external companies and with change management process/windows. The Subscriber needs additional time to coordinate replacement with multiple teams."

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I’d also be curious to see if they actually got positive confirmation from these subscribers or they’re just assuming that if the customer hasn’t responded or created a new cert it’s too difficult to do it in the timespan required

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The more important the application the more important it is that your cert is right and that you can fix issues quickly.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I’d also be curious to see if they actually got positive confirmation from these subscribers or they’re just assuming that if the customer hasn’t responded or created a new cert it’s too difficult to do it in the timespan required
we all know the answer to that

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://inti.io/p/when-privacy-expires-how-i-got-access

quote:

As part of a large-scale privacy investigation, I have bought more than 100 [expired] domain names previously belonging to social welfare and justice institutions in Belgium. What I observed was unsettling.

[...]

In addition to identifying 68 domains related to the Belgian social welfare system, I concluded that multiple domains associated with certain psychiatric hospitals (4 expired domains), as well as the Belgian justice system, were also affected, from police zones (32 expired domains) to local courts and tribunals (3 expired domains).

[...]

For the 848 e-mail addresses I was able to identify within a week, I successfully obtained the password reset e-mails for 80 Dropbox accounts, 142 Google Drive accounts, 57 Microsoft / OneDrive / SharePoint accounts, and a dozen Smartschool and Doccle accounts. I realized that by buying these domains, I had gained access to tons of sensitive citizen information stored in the cloud accounts linked to these e-mail addresses.

[...]

These weren’t the only e-mails I started receiving. Shockingly, years after these e-mail addresses were abandoned, they still received extremely sensitive information.

[...]

Scary stuff.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
low temps, high security!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah sadly not too surprising. there should be proper disposal procedures for all of these and data sent encrypted with a key by different means but lol at the firms involved getting the resources to do that

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I love how they're just painting themselves into a corner more and more.

"Won't revoke, not a big deal, they're real busy and can't do it now."

That got a lot of push back and pointed comments towards 'you are required to do this, you clowns'.

Now they've pivoted to "Can't revoke, critical infrastructure, will cause actual harm."

And Wayne, long may he reign as king of secfuck finding, kneecaps it immediately by pointing out the massive carve-out they gave themselves preventing the super important customers from using those certs for anything a sane person would call 'critical'. Apparently an internal decision of 'our customers would lose money, blame us, and therefore cost us money, it is critical we don't piss them off' somehow managed to transmute itself to using 'critical infrastructure' as a reason publicly.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
seems bad: https://env.fail/posts/firewreck-1/

https://x.com/xyz3va/status/1793307173822378258

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I love how they're just painting themselves into a corner more and more.

"Won't revoke, not a big deal, they're real busy and can't do it now."

That got a lot of push back and pointed comments towards 'you are required to do this, you clowns'.

Now they've pivoted to "Can't revoke, critical infrastructure, will cause actual harm."

And Wayne, long may he reign as king of secfuck finding, kneecaps it immediately by pointing out the massive carve-out they gave themselves preventing the super important customers from using those certs for anything a sane person would call 'critical'. Apparently an internal decision of 'our customers would lose money, blame us, and therefore cost us money, it is critical we don't piss them off' somehow managed to transmute itself to using 'critical infrastructure' as a reason publicly.

I think you will find that the infrastructure is Very Critical while also not being on that list.

Was it this gently caress that was almost totally certs at some bank, or another? Because I suspect they could figure out how to rotate those certs if they were told they actually need to.