Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

uPen posted:

If he went to prison for 30 years because he refused to give up the money how exactly would she not have the money?

If they find him guilty do you not think they would seize his assets and search the home? They don't just give up when 1.6 million is involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

socialsecurity posted:

If they find him guilty do you not think they would seize his assets and search the home? They don't just give up when 1.6 million is involved.

Given that he embezzled the money over a period of many years, the DA would have no reason to assume it's all cash in a bag. Sure they'd probably search the house but there's no guarantee they'd find it and there's also no guarantee they don't have a place in mind to stash it if charges actually get filed. It's definitely possible the money could be lost but again, the point is that Betsy is probably dumb enough to think the money is safe under her sink. This isn't about whether Betsy is a good criminal, it's about whether or not she intended her husband to take the fall while she drove away laughing in a car with money flying out the windows. She definitely did, regardless of how retarded the plan is.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 19, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

"We find you guilty of embezzling 1.6 billion dollars. Since you're going to jail, I guess your wife can keep the money."

She was clearly being more bullheaded than she would be if it was her neck on the line for 30 years in jail, but she probably honestly believed that they could beat the charges somehow. If you think she wanted Craig to go to jail, your read of the characters is really off. I suggest you listen to the podcast if you can't come to this conclusion on your own.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 19, 2015

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think it's obvious that Betsy isn't a criminal mastermind and used her husband to get more money in a hairbrained scheme that of course backfired. She probably thought that they could write checks to themselves and get away with it, when they were getting found out she thought they could just hide the money, then she thought they could just run away. Then after all that she probably thought her husband could go to jail and she could keep the money if she just denied that it existed.

Betsy's obviously just a greedy moron that plays her even dumber husband like a fiddle.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How are you getting that Betsy played her husband?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tab8715 posted:

Just look at the dynamic between them, it's obvious that she's in control of that relationship. When Mr. Kettleman was looking at a long jail sentence while his wife would get away with it, she was the one pushing him not to do a plea deal so they could try to keep the money.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tab8715 posted:

I don't think the husband is the greedy type and more of a pushover that will do anything to keep his family happy and together. Betsy controls every conversation and was probably the driving force behind her husband stealing money. I don't think she was aiming to get her husband sent up the river, just that she's a selfish person that makes stupid decisions that all are aimed at her keeping a million bucks. If her husband goes to jail and she gets to keep the money then she's probably 100% okay with that.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Doltos posted:

If her husband goes to jail and she gets to keep the money then she's probably 100% okay with that.

This is more what I was trying to say - not that putting the husband in prison was her goal from the beginning (that would require much more foresight than she showed any other time) just that the choice between deal and trial was so clear cut that choosing trial was basically voting pro-prison. When the deal was first offered she did the math instantly and "husband goes to jail" was a don't care.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I shouldn't be surprised by this and yet here I am.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Doltos posted:

I think it's obvious that Betsy isn't a criminal mastermind and used her husband to get more money in a hairbrained scheme that of course backfired. She probably thought that they could write checks to themselves and get away with it, when they were getting found out she thought they could just hide the money, then she thought they could just run away. Then after all that she probably thought her husband could go to jail and she could keep the money if she just denied that it existed.

Betsy's obviously just a greedy moron that plays her even dumber husband like a fiddle.

Harebrained.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe Craig merely enjoys sleeping with his hot big tittied wife. Did you ever think of that goons. Huh. Did you ever even think of that

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe Craig is getting tired of that kind of thing and is looking forward to some bulging muscles and veiny, throbbing cocks in prison.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

withak posted:

Maybe Craig is getting tired of that kind of thing and is looking forward to some bulging muscles and veiny, throbbing cocks in prison.

He is very prison pretty.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

withak posted:

Craig ain't the top in his marriage already

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I got the impression that she just really thought that if she denied the money being there, maybe her husband would go to jail, but that would be the only consequence. She was a lot more upset by "making the State whole" than she was about the jail time. But she was upset about both because, well, she's the sort of upper-middle class white person who just figures the worst they could ever get is a slap on the wrist. It's the same reason why she had them run away. That isn't a move that screams "criminal mastermind". She is a terrible criminal. Hilariously bad.

I'm sure it will be a good learning lesson for Jimmy/Saul. He can help bad criminals be better criminals. That is one of the specialties we know he offers later.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

I got the impression that she just really thought that if she denied the money being there, maybe her husband would go to jail, but that would be the only consequence. She was a lot more upset by "making the State whole" than she was about the jail time. But she was upset about both because, well, she's the sort of upper-middle class white person who just figures the worst they could ever get is a slap on the wrist. It's the same reason why she had them run away. That isn't a move that screams "criminal mastermind". She is a terrible criminal. Hilariously bad.

I'm sure it will be a good learning lesson for Jimmy/Saul. He can help bad criminals be better criminals. That is one of the specialties we know he offers later.

It reminds me of the people who go on hikes in Yosemite or the Grand Canyon with totally inappropriate gear and supplies because they fundamentally don't believe that bad things can happen to them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Saul would just hook them up with the vacuum guy and they'd live out their lives in Delaware with 1.1 million dollars or whatever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You know, at first I was skeptical of the idea of a spinoff show that aped too many elements of its predecessor series, but every time BCS has done something to echo ideas from BB, I've actually enjoyed it. I dunno what their secret sauce is.

Like, remember how Walt would take on attributes from people he killed, a motif the show used to suggest that Walt was becoming more criminal?

I think we got our first taste of that in this show with Jimmy telling the Kettlemans that they have no recourse because they're criminals, a line he picked up from Nacho.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A little thing I love they pointed out in the podcast, whenever Betsy turns her head its like shes wearing michael keatons batsuit and can't do it without turning her torso.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno what their secret sauce is.

Competent writers, directors, and a brilliant showrunner. That's all it takes. All the best shows are like this.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

Maybe Craig merely enjoys sleeping with his hot big tittied wife. Did you ever think of that goons. Huh. Did you ever even think of that

hmm interesting theory

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

LupusAter posted:

Exactly this. Between the sex robot voice and the "I'm not talking dirty to you" it's very clear that they had at least a friends with benefits relationship. Probably they ended it in order to focus on other things, but all signs point to a mutual resolution. It's a nice piece of characterization that I don't think will ever be under the spotlight.

I mean he painted her toenails. Has he ever painted Mike's toenails?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't really get why Saul starting crying and kicking poo poo.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

No Wave posted:

he returned all his money so he's back to being broke as poo poo, he doesn't get his swanky new law firm anymore, and he helped Kim -- his best friend -- retain her job at a company he hates instead of coming to work for him

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah but aside from that

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but aside from that

He killed himself.

No, that really happened.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm still unsure how Mike can get the money to the DA without any awkward questions or follow up? Maybe we'll see more in the future.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

thehustler posted:

I'm still unsure how Mike can get the money to the DA without any awkward questions or follow up? Maybe we'll see more in the future.

"I work for the Kettleman's attorney. They'll be taking your plea deal, here's the money."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That story's not over. I can't help but think there's something significant in how Jimmy didn't say "Take this to the DA", but rather Mike said "I'm taking this where I think I'm taking it, right?"

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

He didn't say it to Mike because then it would be redundant in the script when he says it again to the Kettlemans in the very next scene. What else would Jimmy possibly do with it? If it went anywhere other than the DA then he's screwing over Kim and the deal she made, and it's pretty clear he wouldn't do that to her.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

"We find you guilty of embezzling 1.6 billion dollars. Since you're going to jail, I guess your wife can keep the money."

She was clearly being more bullheaded than she would be if it was her neck on the line for 30 years in jail, but she probably honestly believed that they could beat the charges somehow. If you think she wanted Craig to go to jail, your read of the characters is really off. I suggest you listen to the podcast if you can't come to this conclusion on your own.

This is how I saw it. She didn't believe that there was any way they could really get in trouble over this, she had convinced herself so strongly they had gotten away with it.

As for the whole DA thing, I still think Jimmy was bluffing. If you hand the money over to the DA before they can make that deal then there's no longer any reason to make said deal, the point of making a deal like that is so they can get the money back.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Oh good lord, the whole "Betsy's plan was to get her husband in jail" bullshit is the new "Mike sided with Jimmy because that cop poked him".

Seriously goons, the actual answer it right there up on screen, it really is that simple. Betsy turned down HHM because she is hilariously stubborn, stupid and in denial.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Beeez posted:

This is how I saw it. She didn't believe that there was any way they could really get in trouble over this, she had convinced herself so strongly they had gotten away with it.

As for the whole DA thing, I still think Jimmy was bluffing. If you hand the money over to the DA before they can make that deal then there's no longer any reason to make said deal, the point of making a deal like that is so they can get the money back.

Yeah, exactly. There's no reason for Jimmy and Mike not to just hide the money themselves now. Now they have a bargaining chip against both the Kettlemans and the DA, and options in case anything goes south.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

thehustler posted:

There is no reason for this to be an issue. Police departments receive incriminating evidence as a routine matter. Detaining someone making a drop and interrogating them would lead to a lot less evidence being received.

Beeez posted:

:suicide:

Jesus christ goons

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Oh good lord, the whole "Betsy's plan was to get her husband in jail" bullshit is the new "Mike sided with Jimmy because that cop poked him".

Except that was a real thing that was very obvious on-screen and there is a reason they lingered on it so much.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 19, 2015

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Maybe Mike is taking the money to Nacho and Saul is actually throwing Kim under the bus so she gets fired and has to work with him?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s semantics.

“On its way to the DA’s office” isn’t incompatible with “Mike’s holding it in escrow.”

The Kettleman’s aren’t getting it back. They have nothing to lose by signing the deal.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Doltos posted:

She also tried denying that there was any money, even to Jimmy, who was her lawyer (with all the attorney-client privilege that comes with it) and who has seen the money, and took a bribe of some of that money. The money was also in cash and hidden in a place that would be a top place for cops to check if there was a search warrant. I'm guessing no search warrant was issued because the DA's office had Mr. Kettleman dead to rights with the checks to himself, and after seeing the financial statements of the Kettlemans, it was a matter of time before they seized the house and then found the cash.

Data Graham posted:

That story's not over. I can't help but think there's something significant in how Jimmy didn't say "Take this to the DA", but rather Mike said "I'm taking this where I think I'm taking it, right?"

It has to get to the DA. If the money does not go there, the deal is off and that screws Kim over. If Jimmy wanted to get Kim fired from HHM, why return the money in the first place, and make Kim's career whole again? Since Saul still uses Mike in BB, I can safely assume Mike does not gently caress over Jimmy here. Platystemon has a point that Mike might be holding it until the deal is signed and then turn it over.

As far as the DA then trying to screw over HHM and the Kettlemans, I doubt it. Kim would have gotten the deal in writing, and The Kettlemans would claim that Mike was in their service returning the money. Also, the plea deal saves the county and state a lot of time and money, they would prefer a deal as opposed to a drawn out trial. Since the deal was so sweet, the county wanted the money more than punishing Mr. Kettleman.

EDIT: loving over Kim and HHM would hurt the DA in the long run. The firm is a prominent one, and it would hurt the DA when dealing with HHM in the future, again costing the county and state a lot of money.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 19, 2015

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Wave posted:

He's lost the money, the girl, and his shiny new offices, and here is a little hint from you; he's not making money from old people

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Beeez posted:

We don't know where the money went, it was vague, so the money may very well be at HHM. Then Kim formalizes the deal and gets them to hand over the money.

And also what, the DA is going to prosecute if he has the cash? Kim's defense will be "yo we had a deal, the money was returned, why are we here again?" and the jury who would rather be doing anything else is going to be pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Asema posted:

He's lost the money, the girl, and his shiny new offices, and here is a little hint from you; he's not making money from old people
I guess I don't really understand how he was supposed to afford what looks like $7k/month offices with no business, or how he was supposed to match Kim's salary with no business, or how loving over Kim's career forever was supposed to make her like him more, especially because she already likes him.

I don't think $30k would even come close to paying for the renovation, so I'm sort of lost as to what the fantasy scenario would even look like.

• Locked thread