Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
might be time for a replay, it's been a while (AP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Alpha Protocol Is still an awesome game.
Hell I'm deleting cp2077 for space in my SSD for another run. I'm going to do a totally rear end in a top hat Thornton run.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I got my copy of Alpha Protocol off Steam in some Steam sales years ago for like 2 bucks.

Why yes, I did get my two dollars worth out of it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
For some reason my physical copy of Alpha Protocol on PC stopped working so I got it again on Steam. Glad I did too considering it was eventually delisted.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Ice Phisherman posted:

Where do you pick up Alpha Protocol these days?

Got a physical copy off of Ebay for like $15. The seller I got it from seems to have several copies is the good news.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

We talking about Alpha Protocol in here again? What a coincidence: https://www.thegamer.com/alpha-protocol-making-of/
Now that's the kind of behind the scenes games journalism I can get behind

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

AP came out in that brief period where it seemed (to me anyway) that Mass Effect 1/2 would be the template for most future AAA action/rpg games. It certainly left a mark, but was basically dead by the point the PS4 came out.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

"alpha protocol article posted:

you’re a super spy who can flit between various archetypes - the three JBs: Jason Bourne, James Bond, and Jack Bauer.

i know this will never happen because it wouldnt sell but i really really wish someone could make a "spy" game that was a lot more like the john lecarre/graham greene/eric ambler type of spy story rather than the ian fleming/tom clancy/robert ludlum type of spy story

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Mata Hari RPG where the body size slider/sexuality actually has a gameplay affect (oh no! Baron Von Moustache is an rear end man and has no interest in you!)

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Palpek posted:

Not only that, CDPR themselves said in the most recent call with investors that according to their analytics the PSN ban even influenced the ammount of sales on other platforms due to bad PR.

Chalk me up as one of those that was hyped for years for 2077 and I still haven't bought it. When it finally hits 50% off I'll give it a go on PC, it's nuts they've only gone down to 20% off on steam after the mess it is and being 6 months out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fenarisk posted:

Chalk me up as one of those that was hyped for years for 2077 and I still haven't bought it. When it finally hits 50% off I'll give it a go on PC, it's nuts they've only gone down to 20% off on steam after the mess it is and being 6 months out.

they're probably hoping to salvage it with a future refresh, and don't want to further plummet the perceived value with deep discounts in the mean time

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I let my friend Brad borrow my copy of Alpha Protocol and he moved to Denver! He is on my forever poo poo list!

Denver is far away from me, by the way.

edit:
I have his copy of Fable 2, so glass houses and all that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Robobot posted:

I let my friend Brad borrow my copy of Alpha Protocol and he moved to Denver! He is on my forever poo poo list!

Denver is far away from me, by the way.

edit:
I have his copy of Fable 2, so glass houses and all that.

I went to this garage sale in 2006, we only stopped to ask directions, but there was literally a pile of NES' on the lawn along with untold accessories and games, etc. I asked how much for one of the consoles. Take the lot for $20 the lady responded. Her son had moved out and I assume eventually came home to find what she'd done and I hate to think of that ending. I got like a 50lb potato sack full of 4 NES', an original gameboy, this NES dance pad thing, all the accessories for all of it including NES controllers I'd never seen before, one disc from..Shadow..something? Some PC game? Road Rash for Genesis, the list went on and on. The end of this pointless story is that I ended up temporarily trading the Gameboy to a buddy of mine for Megaman 3, and never swapped back. I think he came out better on that one.

Fenarisk posted:

I wish I could say "theres too many other quality AAA games out there you should play instead" but gaming has become another predictable medium no different than pop music where execs sit around a table and decide what sells and thus that must be manufactured, nothing else.

I would compare the game to mediocre buffet. You get your fill but there isn't much quality. Of course, the more you dwell on that dilemma, the more you find yourself coming back to the same result that no matter which game you play, its all a waste of time unless you're earning from it.

Cyberpunk 2077 - life is meaningless

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 26, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I've been playing Days Gone and it is loving amazing. I'm puzzled how a game this good can not get the attention it deserves.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

I've been playing Days Gone and it is loving amazing. I'm puzzled how a game this good can not get the attention it deserves.

Because it’s a totally boring 3rd person zombie action game with crafting and collectibles without a single original idea in its head and a poorly edited story that is very badly written and therefore doesn’t make sense.

It’s also loooooooong, it’s like watching 4 seasons of a bad show.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I can't stress how good Days Gone is, it is just amazing. One of the best stories of zombies outbreaks ever.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Rinkles posted:

they're probably hoping to salvage it with a future refresh, and don't want to further plummet the perceived value with deep discounts in the mean time
I mean they also made huge bank off it, so there's not much of a reason for them to do a deep discount so soon after launch.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Robobot posted:

He doesn't care. He just rolls with it and teases you back. Jackie really is the best character in the game. And you only interact with him for like three missions.

I still think the set-up for the Street Kid origin is the best: Just two best friends who want to be Night City legends. Just this totally aspirational story about two chucklefucks who get in way, way, way over their heads.

And yeah, Jackie is loving awesome.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Bust Rodd posted:

Because it’s a totally boring 3rd person zombie action game with crafting and collectibles without a single original idea in its head and a poorly edited story that is very badly written and therefore doesn’t make sense.

It’s also loooooooong, it’s like watching 4 seasons of a bad show.

after replaying disco this is exactly the game i wanted. just a good AAA experience without any bullshit. the thing runs like silk on my pc, the gameplay loop is great and you actually feel like the world is dangerous.

everyone should try it imo

Zeroisanumber posted:

I still think the set-up for the Street Kid origin is the best: Just two best friends who want to be Night City legends. Just this totally aspirational story about two chucklefucks who get in way, way, way over their heads.

shame that your character origins dont matter at all

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

after replaying disco this is exactly the game i wanted. just a good AAA experience without any bullshit. the thing runs like silk on my pc, the gameplay loop is great and you actually feel like the world is dangerous.

I found the loop boring, especially when you realize you have to do almost everything in the order the game dictates, in the order the base leaders give you missions, almost one by one.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

It was strange that of all the openings, the corpo one has a prior relationship with Jackie. That the street kid and nomad meet him for the first time during the opening feels wrong, at least for the street kid.

Was it for dramatic effect, big spoiler: meeting the AI version of Jackie holds a bit more weight if it's your childhood friend being experimented on by your former employer

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

Minute-to-minute I preferred Corpo, but that is a great over-arching plot.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I did nomad since I saw the opening mission and it looked kind of cool. Beyond that it was nothing special, and it actually gets strangely awkward in all the nomad missions because while there are a some specific dialogue lines that only the nomad backstory can give, there is also a bunch of dialogue that doesn't seem to fit and would more seem to fit a V from one of the other two backstories who doesn't know anything about the nomads.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Went corpo and after seeing that it only lasts for less than 10m I knew all the other starting stories were also super short and pointless.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

Minute-to-minute I preferred Corpo, but that is a great over-arching plot.

Honestly the Corpo rat who becomes an anti-Corp vigilante and ends up leaving Night City with a group of nomads is a pretty great character arc.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Play posted:

I did nomad since I saw the opening mission and it looked kind of cool. Beyond that it was nothing special, and it actually gets strangely awkward in all the nomad missions because while there are a some specific dialogue lines that only the nomad backstory can give, there is also a bunch of dialogue that doesn't seem to fit and would more seem to fit a V from one of the other two backstories who doesn't know anything about the nomads.
What's interesting is that within the short spurt of actual reactivity that the game allows in its prologue the nomad origin + technical ability lets you influence the look of Jackie's bike if you choose the right dialogue options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdcNpn0N8wg

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Rinkles posted:

I found the loop boring, especially when you realize you have to do[b] almost everything in the order the game dictates, in the order the base leaders give you missions, almost one by one.

honestly im enjoying that. i prefer it over cp77 broken narrative. you legit can miss the entire 3 act missions or ending with nothing to do except the kerry-johnny missions.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Palpek posted:

What's interesting is that within the short spurt of actual reactivity that the game allows in its prologue the nomad origin + technical ability lets you influence the look of Jackie's bike if you choose the right dialogue options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdcNpn0N8wg

I must've done this on accident because it's always been listed as tuned for me, I thought that was just the name lol

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Tenzarin posted:

I can't stress how good Days Gone is, it is just amazing. One of the best stories of zombies outbreaks ever.

This is the Cyberpunk 2077 thread.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Yeah we should talk about the awesome improvements such as or the totally awesome dlc

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I will say that CP2077 ruined me for graphics. The first FPS I've played since putting it down is Prey, and on max settings it looks loving old compared to what I got out of a 1070 in Cyberpunk.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

saying that the game is bad is oen thing but i will never believe that days gone is good. nice try but you hosed up

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It's easy to say Mass Effect killed Alpha Protocol until you realize that Mass Effect is a better game in every way except for dialogue and reactivity.
:smith:

Rinkles posted:

AP came out in that brief period where it seemed (to me anyway) that Mass Effect 1/2 would be the template for most future AAA action/rpg games. It certainly left a mark, but was basically dead by the point the PS4 came out.

Hard disagree. Even unrelated genres like action-adventure (Kassandra :woop:) have to incorporate a dialogue system and some amount of reactivity. Not only did it not die, but it has become such a staple of gaming that more and more games, from other genres, start to look and play like an Action RPG. Alpha Protocol was cited by multiple CDPR devs as a source of inspiration, so at least anecdotally, it is still influential.

I think that is what has built a lot of the disappointment behind Cyberpunk, and also why it is still successful. Most people don't pay attention and got a janky, scifi GTA and were perfectly fine. Some expected a genre-defining opus ala Witcher 3, which would echo across gaming, and were disappointed.
:shrug:

Earwicker posted:

i know this will never happen because it wouldnt sell but i really really wish someone could make a "spy" game that was a lot more like the john lecarre/graham greene/eric ambler type of spy story rather than the ian fleming/tom clancy/robert ludlum type of spy story

The best AP playthough is to combine James Bond with Jack Bauer, always wear a suit, and set off every alarm for a Sterling Archer Run.
:hai:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
All bioware did to make mass effect is they changed jedi to spectre, and sith to reaper. Boom no more royalties.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Back when there really weren't many games that were similar to Deus Ex, Alpha Protocol would often be brought up. But the verdict was always that while it had some good ideas, it just wasn't very good. I'm kind of surprised to see such glowing reviews here. Have I been underestimating it this whole time?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dr_Amazing posted:

Back when there really weren't many games that were similar to Deus Ex, Alpha Protocol would often be brought up. But the verdict was always that while it had some good ideas, it just wasn't very good. I'm kind of surprised to see such glowing reviews here. Have I been underestimating it this whole time?

ap is very disco, tbqh

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Alpha Protocol gunplay was rightfully criticised as being poo poo, the character animations were poo poo, that AI was poo poo, the hacking minigames on PC were poo poo and you could break the game over your knee with pistols and the Chain Shot skill.
It's still remembered fondly because despite all of this poo poo, the talky parts of the game were really well done, you had a wide range of responsiveness based on your actions and attitude and NPCs remembered stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's hard to say as only 12 people in existence have ever played Alpha Protocol and they all post on the Something Awful games forum.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's me, I'm one of the Alpha Protocol apostles.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dr_Amazing posted:

No you're not. The dialogue system is great but the shooting and movement make other Obsidian games look like idTech. I really tried but didn't make it out of the first mission I picked.

ZombyDog posted:

Alpha Protocol gunplay was rightfully criticised as being poo poo, the character animations were poo poo, that AI was poo poo, the hacking minigames on PC were poo poo and you could break the game over your knee with pistols and the Chain Shot skill.
It's still remembered fondly because despite all of this poo poo, the talky parts of the game were really well done, you had a wide range of responsiveness based on your actions and attitude and NPCs remembered stuff.
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's still worth a playthrough if you can somehow get ahold of a copy/key.