Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I hope it works exactly like in CoE and some rando idiot can summon a single cave grub and dig down from the cave layer to land directly in Hell, possibly unleashing approximately one trillion universally hostile demons in the process

I see you're already working on your Dwarf Fortress mod nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

PurpleXVI posted:

I see you're already working on your Dwarf Fortress mod nation.

I mean there's already a tantrum spiral global enchantment, so

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
All these changes are making me want to grab the advance wars files I made a long time ago and see about updating them. Seeing size now scaling from 1-10 was the big impetus honestly, because now there's a whole new scale of BIG.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Do it do it
Make APC mages for teleporting that are overpoweringly alluring to enemies so they go off script tia

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Make nation/magic/item/blessgen part of the core game.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Do it do it
Make APC mages for teleporting that are overpoweringly alluring to enemies so they go off script tia

Create a spell called "Summon Magic Caller" that just summons a size 10 stone. just a big high prot, high hp, low MR that causes all mage spells to get flung towards it.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Kitfox88 posted:

Do it do it

I genuinely don't remember everything about aggro manipulation in Dom5, so I initially just set them up as commanders with a big sack of HP and very little magic resistance. Which I believe was the biggest magnet for spellcasters in 5?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Also, I know several people here witnessed these spoilers (or even actively participated in them) but for the rest:

-Bark/Stone/Iron spells are less effective for units that rely on armor.
-UI: y key shows people who will be in the target province, not the ones inside a fort
-scales go from +2 to -2 for normal nations, this limit can be surpassed by specific nations and pretenders (Niefelheim can go up to +4 cold, fire dragon can move the scale by 1 in direction of heat)
-true scale limits are +5 to -5, by you need spells/events/thrones to reach those.
-Strong scales can change provinces. High death can transform a forest into a plains (and the province art will change accordingly).
-Very strong scales can gently caress up provinces, we can imagine that easily with Death or Heat/Cold, but it's even the case with 'good' scales like Order 5 (magic research is stiffed by lack of creativity) or Magic 5 (units may randomly be horror marked). But I imagine this can be the typical obscure mechanic that Illwinter loves putting but most of the time won't have any effect.
-Winter is also applied to provinces with a dynamic filter, instead of needing custom art.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL
Is there any indications or suggestions that gemferrying mechanics will be changed? Not that I care personally but getting social games with friends together has become impossible after they decided that micromanaging gems on commanders was enough of a pain to justify just not playing. I have no idea what would constitute an 'improvement' for them but I imagine something like being able to define what gems a commander should have while they are out and about, then when they pass through a lab they stock up

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rugz posted:

Is there any indications or suggestions that gemferrying mechanics will be changed? Not that I care personally but getting social games with friends together has become impossible after they decided that micromanaging gems on commanders was enough of a pain to justify just not playing. I have no idea what would constitute an 'improvement' for them but I imagine something like being able to define what gems a commander should have while they are out and about, then when they pass through a lab they stock up

Something that would be nice would be that in the same way you can tie a commander script to a key, you could do the same to a gem layout, so you could just scroll down and mash 1 so everyone with a Power of the Spheres cast also picks up a pearl, or if every time you scripted a gem/slave-requiring spell, by default the commander would pick up the minimum number of resources to cast it once.

Absum
May 28, 2013

drat it I stopped playing pretty early in Dominions 5 but I'm still going to end up buying the new game at this rate

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Making horrible scales even more horrible is great. Having magic scales horror mark poo poo seems like it will result in really funny and stupid deaths

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Sounds great. Everyone insta slamming +3 or -3 on most scales is a bit boring. Going be good to see some more consequences to people doing that.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Any word of a better ai? I know it’s hard due to the complexity of the systems in the game and I know I’m one of only three people in the world that is only interested in single player… but it would be nice.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Imaginary Baron posted:

Any word of a better ai? I know it’s hard due to the complexity of the systems in the game and I know I’m one of only three people in the world that is only interested in single player… but it would be nice.

I'm the second, so that'd be awesome. Finally got 5 just before the announcement and just finished a pig Marveni run :unsmith:

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Bug Squash posted:

Sounds great. Everyone insta slamming +3 or -3 on most scales is a bit boring. Going be good to see some more consequences to people doing that.

Maybe, at the moment the only scale setup people really avoid for reasons beyond 'I don't want those % numbers' is Misf3 + Drain3 to avoid magic is fading. But do people actually instaslam P/S3 and O3/T3 because that seems like a really good way to screw up your cap recruitment. Drain 3 might be an instaslam because if you are going drain at all you might as well go all-in since you're probably playing Ulm, but Magic 3 isn't cut and dry particularly since M2 gets you the -1MR. And Luck/Growth are more 'what can I afford to squeeze in with my bless?'. Heat and Cold tends to be the serial +3/-3 offender but that's more to do with how the changing seasons affect your economy and you can basically 'cheat off' 3-6 turns per year of not dumping your gold income by quite as much as usual.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Dom6 better not have good single player. I recently found out about this cool new game, Shadows of Forbidden Gods, and it’s already draining all my free time. It would be awful if the new dominions game had good single player too.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Nosre posted:

I'm the second, so that'd be awesome. Finally got 5 just before the announcement and just finished a pig Marveni run :unsmith:

I'm the third, and all I really want from Dom 6 is more and, please god, just slightly better sound FX. I know we won't get that, but a guy can dream.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Dominions has sound?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pipski posted:

I'm the third, and all I really want from Dom 6 is more and, please god, just slightly better sound FX. I know we won't get that, but a guy can dream.

Seriously, they should hire a sound guy for 2-3 months, so someone make a good pass balancing the audio and replacing some of the most annoying sounds.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bug Squash posted:

It sounds like there's generally going to be less consequences since most nations are going to be locked to -2 to +2. I imagine mostly this just makes hellsites/globals/nations with special dom even worse.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Do the sound amplitudes still add up? I think I remember someone blowing their drums out hitting a million Maenads with an Earthquake. Can't check myself, because I'm not turning sound back on.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

elephantsqueeal.mp3

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Turin Turambar posted:

-Strong scales can change provinces. High death can transform a forest into a plains (and the province art will change accordingly).
-Winter is also applied to provinces with a dynamic filter, instead of needing custom art.

I am extremely interested in more detail, particularly how customizable these effects are by mapmakers.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

If they leave a lot of the consequences of HYPERSCALES down to events, it should be pretty flexible.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Also, I know several people here witnessed these spoilers (or even actively participated in them) but for the rest:

-Bark/Stone/Iron spells are less effective for units that rely on armor.

Aside from all the other fascinating unknowns, I'm also curious about this one given natural protection on top of armor already doesn't scale linearly - i.e. Armor of Knights + Ironskin only gets you to ~Prot 31/32, not 43. So did they just make the natural/armor prot stacking even less efficient, or is this something else?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The first thing I'll try in Dom6 is an eternal frost run: Trying my best to have the entire map eternally frozen at Cold 5

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Libluini posted:

The first thing I'll try in Dom6 is an eternal frost run: Trying my best to have the entire map eternally frozen at Cold 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpaFE6_nDJw

On that subject, many pretenders are now limited to certain min/max scales.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
One thing I appreciate about Illwinter is that they don't tease releases. You just notice they stop releasing updates, a year or two goes by and suddenly "Ey here is the sequel, it'll be out in like a week or two"

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

I'm hoping this is just what the Illwinter global does, because that sounds like it'll be brutal.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

I'm hoping this is just what the Illwinter global does, because that sounds like it'll be brutal.

Cold 5 in every province please. If the scales thing ends up buffing world fucker spells that's definitely a plus in my book.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

gonadic io posted:

Dominions has sound?

You know it’s funny, the sfx are rough but the Dominions and COE series has great music and I really hope they pull in music from the same composer as COE 5 (Adrian von Ziegler) because it completely nails the atmosphere of the games.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Imaginary Baron posted:

I'm the fourth. About your question

Maerlande posted:

1) Illwinter says many new hotkeys.
2) Lab space is about twice as large.
3) Return to Dom4 music track. Seems indentical.
4) Sprite art is of same style although some upgraded sprites. So modded sprites will work.
5) No significant AI changes except some potential to premake pretenders for the AI. Others can provide more detail.
6) Pooled bless still requires the base path of that bless. Eg: Need N7 for regen but looks possible to stack blesses of same path by buying other paths.
7) Pretender prices are much more varied. Looks like autocalc but also some radical new pretender chassis. As some saw on the beta page the elephant trojan horse.
8) The nation overview F1 now has filter hotkeys. Can't say much more but well lots of them

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
I really hope they'll reduce the micro if the ai isn't improved at all.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Loddfafnir posted:

I really hope they'll reduce the micro if the ai isn't improved at all.

Yeah if there are no substantive improvements to AI or micro I’ll be very bummed out.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Now all units have inventories, and you have to manually equip all your units with weapons and armor or they'll go off to battle barehanded.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

PurpleXVI posted:

Now all units have inventories, and you have to manually equip all your units with weapons and armor or they'll go off to battle barehanded.

One screen to hire various mans, elfs, and ponies.
Another screen to forge the armors and blades.
A third to harvest wood for the polearms and shields
A fourth to bring them all together.
Then you need to assign them to commanders.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

PurpleXVI posted:

I would genuinely enjoy this.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Speleothing posted:

One screen to hire various mans, elfs, and ponies.
Another screen to forge the armors and blades.
A third to harvest wood for the polearms and shields
A fourth to bring them all together.
Then you need to assign them to commanders.

sweet I've been dying for fantasy Aurora 4x!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

There is a hotkey on the map screen that unequips all troops in the province (but not commanders), with no feedback or indication that this has happened. Pressing shift + the same hotkey has another extremely common and useful function that you want to use all the time.