Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Third World Reagan posted:

In TW2, they nerfed growth at one point to give dwarfs some stupid long turn requirement. I believe it is fixed in TW3.
Its not "fixed" in WH3, it just that the WH3 branch was cut from WH2 before the growth change was applied to WH2.

Third World Reagan posted:

So the mod itself is just what mods do. But god drat do its fans never shut up about it and constantly bug others about it.
The vegans of videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

In the quest for sensation I installed SFO many times and each time I liked it less. It's better than Radious, but Radious does have a certain idiotic charm

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Crazy how long Radious mods were held up as must-haves by Total War fans, they're all so bad

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I really miss Celtik's Advanced AI mod. Minimal changes to the game, just mostly changes to how the AI weights certain choices and compiles their armies. It really made a difference and made games so much more interesting. It still works for W1, but he gave up on it for W2.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

So I beat the campaign as Cathay and besides all the poo poo that everyone has talked about I've noticed two weird things:

1) The ending, which was seven lines of text, had two typos in it, which is just loving hilarious.

2) A key part of this game is meant to be the Realms of Chaos. I distinctly remember there being an entire system put into place where there are lores in ascendancy and you can cast mega spells. So why is it only allowed in the random (ie optional) battles in the realms, but disabled for the quest (ie compulsory) battles? Were they afraid I'd have too much fun or something.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Just beat the campaign for the first time, overall I enjoyed it but felt I would have had the same amount of fun playing a Warhammer 2 campaign instead.

Not being one of the doomsayers screeching this is the worst affront CA has even produced, but think it's pretty reasonable to say this game needed roughly two extra months' worth of polish. Doubly so when it released in a month packed full of anticipated releases.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

DaysBefore posted:

Crazy how long Radious mods were held up as must-haves by Total War fans, they're all so bad

I think its just a product of intertia, along with older games having more tight unit rosters making a mod that just dumps a whole bunch of variants more appealing.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Also, a couple screenshots from my campaign:

Turns out Tiktaq'to gets around in the Empire.

:v:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Vagabong posted:

I think its just a product of intertia, along with older games having more tight unit rosters making a mod that just dumps a whole bunch of variants more appealing.

Yeah true, I guess adding in dozens of units doesn't wreck stuff quite as much in spearmanii games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like Lizardmen should be fighting the hell out of Chaos and not farting around in the desert

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
lizards like the sun, they are cold blooded. gotta charge those solar cells before heading north anyway

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Just beat the campaign for the first time, overall I enjoyed it but felt I would have had the same amount of fun playing a Warhammer 2 campaign instead.

Not being one of the doomsayers screeching this is the worst affront CA has even produced, but think it's pretty reasonable to say this game needed roughly two extra months' worth of polish. Doubly so when it released in a month packed full of anticipated releases.

Sadly release dates and reality rarely match. Someone in Sega probably wanted something big in this time frame to compete and wh3 got picked as the sacrifice the release date. Or it would have interfered with some other sega release etc.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think they were kind of screwed either way because a lot of what people dislike is more tied to design choices than bugginess. Like yeah the game was unfinished and is causing a lot of people to have technical issues, but if it were just a buggy release of a game that people otherwise loved the community wouldn't be as upset as it is now. So while I agree that the game should have been delayed another month or two, for a lot of people the biggest benefit of that might have just been the workshop coming online sooner after release so they could mod their way around the design choices they don't like.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sinteres posted:

I think they were kind of screwed either way because a lot of what people dislike is more tied to design choices than bugginess. Like yeah the game was unfinished and is causing a lot of people to have technical issues, but if it were just a buggy release of a game that people otherwise loved the community wouldn't be as upset as it is now. So while I agree that the game should have been delayed another month or two, for a lot of people the biggest benefit of that might have just been the workshop coming online sooner after release so they could mod their way around the design choices they don't like.
I agree with this 100%. The vast majority of my displeasure is derived from the fact that the WH3 dev team did not take advantage of pretty much any of the lessons learned from WH2, 3K, or Troy and thus gave us a worse version of the Vortex race, some nice QoL things, and a bunch of headscratchers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 8, 2022

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
One of the big issues with mortal empires chaos is that if you're not on the border of the map where they show up you might not ever seen them, so I wonder if the realms of chaos campaign was a dry run to see how to implement a global chaos presence/invasion in immortal empires.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rifts On/Off would be a good toggle. It’s not like you need to gently caress with Chaos you could just send an invading army in and have it randomly drop you off somewhere around the world where you can get to conquering, fighting a hopefully fun enemy. It’s annoying when you get to a point where your main enemy is, like, your own faction. Let me teleport off to the thunder dome, dang

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Sooo I just got the third soul... How strong are the soul grinder stacks going to be? Because I haven't bothered to close the rifts before, and I have settlements in about 50 different provinces, and there's no way I can recruit enough heroes in time to close all of the rifts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
excellent kislev tourism board post

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

excellent kislev tourism board post

Should be the op

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Staltran posted:

Sooo I just got the third soul... How strong are the soul grinder stacks going to be? Because I haven't bothered to close the rifts before, and I have settlements in about 50 different provinces, and there's no way I can recruit enough heroes in time to close all of the rifts.

Have you built walls in your settlements? If so you're probably fine, they're about 6-8 Soul Grinders to a stack but the rest are low tier daemons so they're manageable with micro.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Have you built walls in your settlements? If so you're probably fine, they're about 6-8 Soul Grinders to a stack but the rest are low tier daemons so they're manageable with micro.

I have the tier 2 garrison buildings everywhere (but haven't upgraded them to tier 3 since it only gives one more unit and adding walls would force me to defend two specific capture points instead of one of my choosing, so it seems like a sidegrade at best). Major settlements mostly have their defensive buildings at tier 4.That's good to hear, I was worried I'd be drowning in full grinder stacks that could easily take down at least one garrison. e: Though I'm still dreading the amount of battles I'm probably going to have to fight against them...

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Something cool I found out from my Slaanesh campaign as well, again via Marks of Slaanesh giving view of enemy armies.

Chaos Realms only load up when you visit them and only the specific realm you're currently visiting, otherwise all their visual assets are unloaded.

This is a pretty common in video games generally, reason I brought it up is because it was really funny seeing an invisible Greasus Goldtooth run around an invisible Garden of Nurgle map fighting invisible armies :v:

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal
Just uninstalled the game which is stunning to me. I have about 1500ish hours between Hams 1 & 2. I don’t know why but somehow this game totally failed to hold my attention and just didn’t feel good to play. I honestly didn’t care about the bugs but it just felt surprisingly bland and unfun at points. I hope they get this game to a place that feels good for the community but I feel like it’s gonna be a long time before this game is enjoyable. Back to Hams 2 for now I guess. :geno:

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Yeah I’m kinda feeling the burnout now.

I can’t really get to a good place before the rifts start- and the minor settlement battles are just kind of horrible with the path finding. Love to assault a city in single file while taking the scenic route.

Also the Cathay “attack in formation” setting that you can’t turn off. What the hell is up with that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really don't know what that's for, as far as I can tell all it does is just make most of the models in the unit not engage because they stay in a box, like a mobile guard mode, which uh... does not seem helpful?

It doesn't seem to make a difference for harmony unless I guess you have an issue with super strung out units, but I have never had units become so disordered that that changed, it just works off the flag distance I think which rarely changes.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Nurgle Update: Turn 36 of my Island Adventure Themed Campaign

Just about to head to the realms for the first time. I'm a turn behind but I've unlocked crumbling ague and so I'll just plague my competitor.

Also regarding Nurgle's quest battle that is considered to be difficult. Turns out if you've got nurglings, the game deploys them on the right flank. And if you line your nurglings right along the enemy spawn point of the right flankers: they don't spawn. Turns out if you've got forsaken, the game deploys them on the left flank. If you line the forsaken up along the enemy spawn point of the left flankers: they don't spawn. Now fight the middle dwarfs and their reinforcements. When you're done, move your army to each side, back up the blockers and engage the slayers that will then spawn. The artillery insta broke in my game so yeah, the slayers. Repeat on the other side.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sinteres posted:

If the technical problems weren't so severe, they could be spending time addressing the design issues with patches instead of having to spend the first couple months after release trying to hunt down a bunch of crash bugs without making the entire game fall apart like a rickety jenga tower.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure I anticipate any changes to the design because they really just took the bad things about the vortex and made them worse, I think they just actually think that is good design.

Plus if they took it out then they would have to change the entire story and most of the campaign content so I think it's just there to stay.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Even if the questionable campaign mechanics stop being an issue when ME is released, it's still a bit of a bummer because I was pretty excited to get some friends in for the fantastic new co-op features. But with only TWW3 they'd presumably be relegated to the default campaign, and it's an impossible sell to tell them to pick up this $60 video game and also the previous two entries so we can play together.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Vargs posted:

Even if the questionable campaign mechanics stop being an issue when ME is released, it's still a bit of a bummer because I was pretty excited to get some friends in for the fantastic new co-op features. But with only TWW3 they'd presumably be relegated to the default campaign, and it's an impossible sell to tell them to pick up this $60 video game and also the previous two entries so we can play together.

Well, the default campaign and the kislev one and the fight over cathay one...

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

How! posted:

Yeah I’m kinda feeling the burnout now.

I can’t really get to a good place before the rifts start- and the minor settlement battles are just kind of horrible with the path finding. Love to assault a city in single file while taking the scenic route.

Also the Cathay “attack in formation” setting that you can’t turn off. What the hell is up with that?

I totally agree with your first comment and I hope the rifts are addressed. After finishing one campaign I don’t think I’ll attempt another unless some serious changes are made. I did start another campaign and was having some fun, but then the rifts showed up and I just couldn’t summon the will to continue. It seems fun enough to just hop around and wreck stuff (although as Khorne I don’t need the rifts for that…) but even so there’s the whackamole aspect of keeping heroes around to close everything, which I don’t think can possibly be spun as fun or engaging.

Anyway I’m being negative about its current state, but I do have other things to play and I’ve got a reasonable amount of confidence that they’ll get it where it needs to be. It does seem unfortunate that the studio is going to have to prioritize three entirely different sets of user stories - there’s the bugs and pain points (probably including stuff like the settlement pathing), the desire for new features like IE and new maps, and then any proposed Rift campaign overhauls. I wish them luck but there’s no way to make everyone happy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Looking at Kislev and Katarina in depth:

Tech tree: This is by far their biggest weakness. There are so many terrible techs, many of which are gated behind specific cities. I can't think of many that jump out at me and think, yes I want to get that asap. You need to unlock tech to train your ice ladies and it takes time (12 turns total for the first one counting the research tech if you're not Katarina and don't get the babushka event). I'm not sure the point of having two slots of either, I guess to churn through lords/heroes to get the most optimal combination of traits? There's no speed upgrades for units, kossars don't get anything interesting to keep them viable once you can afford armored kossars/strelsi. Little Grom gets range and fire damage, both of which feel a little redundant; frostbite and extra splash would have been far better instead. The best of the bunch seems to be frenzy for bear riders and +500 supplies/turn for cities under siege.

Legendary Lords: Katarina is by far the easiest of the bunch. Best start and frost maiden spec is great because they are great units when you can get more of them. Ice sheet+19 ranged units going nuts works well early game. Kostaltyn has a hair pulling difficult start in my opinion but seems to get bonkers later on with as many patriarchs as you can fit. Giving the whole army frenzy is great and he can cycle through patriarch prayers all battle. Boris seems like he'll be the most fun in Immortal Empires because he gets a lot of buffs to settlements, the one that catches my eye is free colonizing of ruins. Since the AI seems slower to recolonize this can be an easy way to grab up free territory early on.

Lords: Like Cathay, you get the boring econo lord (Boyar) and the fancy caster lord. Ice witches can be great if you get a really good combination of perks, what I find annoying is getting 3 that don't go together well. Lacking a ranged attack or being a melee powerhouse (even with bear) limits the potential of vanguard or prefect vigor. Embedded spells and faster cooldowns are great though since you'll want to spam support spells all battle if possible.

Magic: Both lores are a little samey but great for stacking slowing effects. Not spectacular in the burst damage department but decent over time. The new settlements are great for going nuts with vortex and aoe spells. They definitely have good synergy with a ranged heavy roster.

Settlements: The cost of T2 and 3 of many buildings feels rather steep, their garrison/wall building is 500g more expensive than empire /dorfs/etc. The base money you get for things also feels lower. Paradoxically while the campaign encourages you to build tall Kislev's economy wants you to build wide- every 2 provinces gets you another Ataman who gets 3 traits over time which can mesh really well. They are also kind of weird in that their native territory is 3 super capitals and provinces with only minor settlements. You also can't build walls in Norscan or ogre territory making those areas really hard to defend. For a ranged heavy roster they don't get enough of their useful units; a T3 walled minor settlement will get a unit of winged lancers and 2 or 3 Dervishes, not very useful on these maps meanwhile you don't get units with any real survivability. The major settlements are better off, and while you have two garrison options the heavier one feels like a given since you'll get extra supplies during a siege. In one area Kislev might do potentially well is bonuses in siege defense, Boyars get an actually useful +5 MD in friendly territory trait and there are landmark buildings and a few research upgrades that will give good cumulative effects for defenders. Commandments are fine, the one for heroes is niche but very welcome. The upgrades for them feel weak though and don't even boost the useful parts of each commandment, I swear the dwarf techs that upgrade their commandments give twice the boost.

Roster: They are versatile, which makes people think they are for beginners when they are not. While labeled 'hybrid' units and having modest ranged effectiveness and melee defense, they still suck in melee. Low per unit hp, lower unit counts, and fatigue problems mean a unit of kossars cannot survive against dedicated and only slightly more powerful melee units. This becomes an issue mid to late game where you will get bumrushed and shot up by T3 infantry and monstrous creatures. Their main asset is volume of fire. Sure Kossars aren't the best, but it's him and eighteen of his comrade units all concentrating their fire on a slowed group of charging infantry. They'll crumple in melee but hold up long enough for 2 neighbors to fire into the attackers flanks. Really wish armored kossars could get move+shoot and Strelsi get something in melee to keep them alive a bit longer. Their artillery comes annoyingly late and is a weird hybrid of a cannon and catapult, having an average splash but not accurate to snipe monsters easily, a bit of an arc but not quite enough to deal with settlement terrain.

Overall: Their main strength seems to be taking aspects of each part and combining it together to be powerful. Seems like it's about finding synergies to stack up bonuses/discounts. I'm looking forward to them the most in Immortal Empires because much like dwarfs they seem like they have a tenuous start but snowball hard once you start stacking up territory.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Realistically I don't give a poo poo about the campaign but the multiplayer (both domination and land battle) are great so far.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think i'm finally going to finish a game as the iron dragon. Mostly because i'm friends with the orcz/ogres/lizardmen/vampires.

I've got some weirdo armies going on. Funny as hell to see my jade warriors backed up by black orcs.

I've just been taking settlements and immediately giving them to the rear end in a top hat neighbour so I don't have to deal with the chaos incursions. I've got the bottom 3 cathay provinces, two beyond the great wall (not the red fortress province though, I tend to give that to meow, every time i colonise it she gives me 13k. It basically pay's for the army I have up there).

Can't wait to see the weird armies immortal empires gives.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
One thing I do like is that both armor and armor-piercing actually seems to be rarer (Slaanesh aside) and has value. But conversely, it doesnt seem as useless to not have AP, because a lot of units don't actually have armor and they seem to have actually followed through on making AP damage-dealers generally do less damage compared to non-AP, so against unarmored units an AP damage unit will be much less efficient. At least, at first glance. It's nice!

E: also I went to all this trouble to beat back Scrag and save the Empire and they're still so weak they can't do poo poo about the demons pouring from the portals. I think it's time to give one of them everything I can and set Marienburg up as another money-making post a la Sylvania and hope for the best.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 9, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
#BuffFranz

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

#BuffFranz
Oh he's very dead. I guess Todbringer gets Altdorf after all! (I probably should give it to, like, Ostland just because they are closer to my lands but giving it to Toddy seems more fun).

The diplomacy changes are really nice. I feel like I can actually maybe shore up flanks now! Zhufbar won the dwarf civil war and if I can spare a second to help them finish off Lahmia that whole mountain pass is theirs, which is another nice buffer. Also, they seem much more willing to come to aid you or follow your war coordination targets. I overextended taking Altdorf and would have lost it and my army if Feuerbach hadn't come to my rescue there.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 9, 2022

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I've stopped playing for now, too, but I'm not surprised to be honest. WH2 is my most played game on Steam but about 90% of that time is from the last year or so, with the vast majority being in Mortal Empires and ignoring the Vortex. I've played 3 about as much as I played 2 on release, if not more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Staltran posted:

as long as you have enough income to maintain one strong doomstack with your LL, the actual state of your empire doesn't matter at all. i spent the time between the 3rd and 4th soul pressing end turn with fast forward on and letting whatever was gonna happen happen. lol.