Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

tuo posted:

tl;dr: seeing how long it actually takes to polish modern AAA-titles, there's no way SQ42 will release in any barely playable state soon. As someone said above, if they'd have ANYTHING, they'd have shown it. It's not that hard to cut a trailer without spoiling stuff or even go the extra mile and replace characters to not spoil stuff.

The spoiler excuse is dual-purpose. Sure, it's an excuse for why they have nothing to show. But it's also an implication that Chris's story is so amazing that to spoil it would be tragic.

CIG is probably the best company at passive lying that I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
What does our legal department make of this refund letter?

https://pastebin.com/U3XSB1mh?fbclid=IwAR2Qljv8HHWAIVw6nZdrPN8Wioqv8Ofk3J6xKMasnOV74tQFOCcXG_e7ghE

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpyYxqEe--o

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

HorseBodyInspector posted:

From star citizen main sub:

Idris K or Kraken?
https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/i0dlik/idris_k_or_kraken/

Day after spectrum went on fire, you have this.
Commandos unironically discussing what whale ship to buy. Pledge meter is real, those people will buy ships no matter what.

quote:

I've spent thousands at this point on SC.

I've discarded a handful of hobbies. Use to collect models and paint and do war gaming. That hobby was a bigger waste of money over a much longer period of time. Not because its a bad hobby but because I never fully enjoyed it despite the money spent on it. I paid for an experience that, when I had it, I only kind of liked it and making plans around it I sort of dreaded towards the end. Use to buy every game that even looked half interesting. Use to eat out and get Starbucks almost every day. I know that isn't as much a hobby but with the frequency and expense it might as well have been.

I use to play instruments, collect CDs, collect mtg, random stuff. A house fire took everything I owned. My hold over was the models until more recently but everything else I just didn't care about anymore. Having physical possessions just gives something to lose permanently and in some cases irreplaceably. Grandma had the house rebuilt and she and the house are gone now too. Point being the whole digital vs physical thing means nothing at all to me.

I care about the experiences. With people, places, things too. But its not about the items themselves but the experiences and memories those things give me. My first ever trip to Hawaii and first ever real vacation got fully refunded at the start of the shutdown. Would have been two weeks of amazing experiences and memories and a place I've always wanted to go. But it got canceled and refunded, got a bonus from work and then the stimulus check all right before invictus week.

I mulled it over the first few days agreeing that it was too much and a waste of money particularly since I had only recently relinquished the hobbies/habits that I had. The more I thought on it. The more it made sense to me that I was spending way more on a trip for two weeks. Something with a defined end. Though I still plan on taking this trip once there is a vaccine its still just a limited experience.

Star Citizen when it is fully realized will be an amazing experience unlike any game I've played before it. Ive already spent days likely nearing or over 100 hours just in the Alpha alone. It won't be very long before I've gone over two weeks over the course of the Alpha/Beta before it is ever considered fully released.

I backed the game in 2014 and never spent a dime more until invictus week. Purchasing the ships I am interested in experiencing mechanically, esthetically, or otherwise. Is my way of getting to the experiences I want to have as they become available instead if waiting and grinding my way to them. I work incredibly hard at my job and time isn't something I have a lot of so I would rather spend the time in the game doing what I enjoy and having the experience I want to have.

Jesus christ. Maybe the tracker is real.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Mars rover lifts off very soon live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIB3JbIIbPU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Star Citizen: Filibustering until the heat death of the universe

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

If someone can get the interest of a government agency CIG is pretty hosed and will have to give refunds. The difficulty is having a backer that has invested enough to make the Government hoops worthwhile and hasn't already refunded and isn't a cultist and someone at the government agency understanding/caring.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

HorseBodyInspector posted:

From star citizen main sub:

Idris K or Kraken?
https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/i0dlik/idris_k_or_kraken/

Day after spectrum went on fire, you have this.
Commandos unironically discussing what whale ship to buy. Pledge meter is real, those people will buy ships no matter what.

lmao exactly. The SC Macrotransactions are the lootbox mechanics turned into artificial "investments" within "game" econmy. And yes, they feel the PTU qualifies as a GAME, because you can now "play" it, in this moment and fly around, and there is "so much to do", that amazing generic cargo und hunting missions and visiting caves and prison gameplay and the AAAA bartender experience that has less dialogue options options than capital guard NPCs of World of Warcraft, designed 2004.

One dude in the sc reddit claimed thats 30 hours of content, so at least AAA experience and he does not need SQ42 to have fun.

The hint that he is "playing" in an empty and (still!) non feature locked pre Alpha Test Unit is met with the usual friendly and and positive vibes.

These people are insane, partly sunk cost fallacy victims, partly sci fi game and space nerds with money to spend for their "dream game".
After visiting some SC streams the last weeks I have NO doubt the 305 Million Dollar funding are reality.

Put in in perspective of the 2800 days after the Kickstarter, thats 109K per day. Now imagine ONLY 25.000 backers spending regularly since than, thats 130 Euro monthly, and within this sum you got the ultra whales and guys who feel that 100-200 euro per month is a hobby fee for the SC fun.

100K backers (is that unrealistic?) that pull that project through would reduce that to 25-50 Euro per month including the whales and "every xmas a 1000 dollar ship" maniacs.

How could you still doubt the funding is not real, after all these years and reading the Spectrum and their reddit?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

they can plan and hit target dates

Thuorn
Jul 18, 2020

Colostomy Bag posted:

So what's your story new goon?

Nothing special. Ive been following for years and have been waiting for CIGgy to either implode or have a miracle. Im just riding the wave of schadenfreude to wherever she leads me.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I think the one that blew my mind was 8ace in early 2016 saying Squandered54 would be delayed until Q4 2017.

And here we are in 2020 with no end in sight. Incredible.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.vg247.com/2020/07/30/star-citizen-squadron-42-delay-roadmap/

i'm ded

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Reading the Decembre 2018 threads and discussions is hilarious.
"Yeah, mid 2020 SQ42 beta is making me sad, but hey, i guess these 1,5 more years will give them enough room, so I am glad they did not just postpone this for only some months".

They were so SURE that 18 additional months might be the last time CIG announces a long SQ 42 beta delay, because thats what we got since 2014, and GOOD GUY Ci not G is really open here and transparent, and thats why a 18 month delay is good news."

lol.

This Scam keeps on giving. Please fund the next ship sales, Citizens!
Well, scratch that, you will do anyway.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

He theorized that the 40 million dollars wasn't in one giant lump sum, but would be probably be spread out over time and chunks of money would only be released when milestones are met. He also, IIRC, had a feeling that the butcher's bill may come due in 2020 when SQ54's was supposed to enter beta. These are venture capitalists, after all, and they aim to make a return on their investment.

This isn't the case. The capital was introduced as uh share capital and it was all in one lump sum. We've seen that the UK group received their ~$23m half in 2018 and it was already well on the way to being spent by the end of 2018. They repaid debts including the bank loans (~$2m) and notional debts to the US group of companies due to previous accounting fuckery (~$4m). The UK group also ran at a loss of (~$1.5m). So ~$7.5m of the initial investment was gone by the end of 2018.

Additionally, don't forget the investors came back because presumably all the money was already gone in 2020 and upped their 10% investment with another ~$17.25m. They've put a total of $60m+ now.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

lmao
Highlight "Bordering on parody, the blog post is very detailed but doesn’t end up saying much." 😂

Oh and "Squadron 42 was originally set for release in 2016." is wrong, that was 2014

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
You little FUDsters.

CIG said they are happy with SQ42's progress. That means the beta is around the corner. That means it'll be insanely good and fun, cause they've said plenty times they wouldn't release something that isn't up to their quality standards. That means it'll have thousands of hours of content, all for $45. I mean, it's not like CI-not-G has ever lied, have they ? I'm now ready to Answer The Call... 2020 !

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Mr.PayDay posted:

These people are insane, partly sunk cost fallacy victims, partly sci fi game and space nerds with money to spend for their "dream game".
After visiting some SC streams the last weeks I have NO doubt the 305 Million Dollar funding are reality.
They also seem like really bored people with really boring lives that just want to escape reality and they don't want to exert any effort to make it happen beyond swiping their credit cards. I mean counting Starbucks as a hobby? Is anything hobby if it's expensive and recurring?

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 30, 2020

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
That was quite the spicy 'hello' drop this time around.

If Turbulent actually snookers the majority of development away from CIG I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle the schadenfreude.
The thing is I don't think such a change would be made public besides perhaps seeing an uptick in job listings at Turbulent. The same thing as I doubt that they will publicly announce any major shuffling of CR to the sidelines.

It will be a quiet shift to things being delivered and announcements of cutting the scope and rolling back unnecessary 'fidelity'. Backers will suddenly see some different names mentioned every now and then perhaps.
I foresee the same fate for Chris as befell Ben Lesnick. Sure, Ben is technically "working remotely" from Maryland and probably collecting his pay still but he is in no way actually contributing anything anymore.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Dwesa posted:

They also seem like really bored people with really boring lives that just want to escape reality and they don't want want to exert any effort to make it happen beyond swiping their credit cards. I mean counting Starbucks as a hobby? Is anything hobby if it's expensive and recurring?

One of my buddies used the covid lockdown to spend 20K for his new terrace, Veranda and garden stuff and built his kids a little playhouse.

My brother spent over 10K for the overhaul, restauration and new motor of his boat.

But can they use the garden and boat on ice cold winter days?
Nope.

Can you fly your Legatus pack on dark and cold winter days?
Ha!
Now what’s the better hobby, hm?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

I foresee the same fate for Chris as befell Ben Lesnick.

Lesnick falling would make Seaworld look like a kiddie pool.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Mr.PayDay posted:

Visiting threads and streams of German SC Cultists , makes you realize that there are still and nonstop discussions what jpegs to buy next.
The 40-50 year old guys with well paid jobs in their nerdism are discussing what JPEGs to buy next , because their disposable income is meant to make the BDSSE reality.
You still underestimate how many of these freaks feel that their 700-1000 Euro ships are a small investment and they plan their ship portfolio to have sth. between 2K and 10K.

The focus/target group seems to have 1000-2000 Euro/Dollars per YEAR spare to buy more ships.
I met and watched so many of them that I doubt the tracker is fake. The CI not G Videos are fake, the tracker, I fear, is not.

These dudes feel SC is their hobby and 100-200 bucks every month for SC is nothing that harms or limits their lifestyle in any way.

5000 of these guys who spend 1K -2K yearly already guarantee them 5-10 Million on ship sales.
I guess 5000 nerds is a very defensive calculated number.
It’s more like 10-15K who spend 1-2K yearly-
Add the whales and the newcomers and the regular annually„ship sales“ buyers and 30 -40 Million per year add up.

I wholeheartedly agree. Especially the German cultists seem happy to keep spending. And boy, do they get angry when someone calls them out for funding a broken Crysis mod. I just paid my favorite chapter of cultists on the gamestar forums a visit. My favorite post from today (upvoted by the thread regulars):

Translated from German posted:

My sister believes in chemtrails.
There are some people online who believe in a flat earth.
There is even some people who believe that birds are government surveillance drones.
And then there's those people who believe that CIG lies and wants to cover up something.

Everyone lives in their own bubble and believes in their own conspiracy theories.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Legit looking forward to what Turbulent can put out. Maybe the best ending to the saga is a game, but one that completely undercuts the P2W ship power fantasy, and provides an experience that's 100% functional, but also 100% nothing like what backers wanted. Just a run of the mill generic space game that would get solid 75% review scores from any normal developer.

I want the people who paid $100,000 to get a $19.99 Steam Sale space game that looks and plays like every other one.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
ok, let's go back to the early SQ42 video (Oct 2012)

"They said I was dead"
"They said console was the future"
"Now the say mobile and tablets are the future"
"I say to you the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"
"I am a PC game"
"And I am a Space Sim"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_QDv7DFfxk

:lol:
I am just happy they written all those things on the promo video.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm thinking they can put out the developer guide for Linux.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

chadbear posted:

I wholeheartedly agree. Especially the German cultists seem happy to keep spending. And boy, do they get angry when someone calls them out for funding a broken Crysis mod. I just paid my favorite chapter of cultists on the gamestar forums a visit. My favorite post from today (upvoted by the thread regulars):

The German PC Games and Gamestar magazines sold their journalistic ethics for exclusive coverage the last years, they were and are indirect paid-with-personal-Infos-from-CR shills that dropped all critical questions.
They earned money by increasing sales of their magazines whenever they had SC specials for 4-8 pages.

The editors and writers are heavily invested in SC with their private money , and that’s a a great and totally honest fundament for cognitive dissonance when you are covering CIG and SC.

Thuorn
Jul 18, 2020

Scruffpuff posted:

Legit looking forward to what Turbulent can put out. Maybe the best ending to the saga is a game, but one that completely undercuts the P2W ship power fantasy, and provides an experience that's 100% functional, but also 100% nothing like what backers wanted. Just a run of the mill generic space game that would get solid 75% review scores from any normal developer.

I want the people who paid $100,000 to get a $19.99 Steam Sale space game that looks and plays like every other one.

Why would they undercut the biggest money maker they have. If anything I would expect more micro/macro transactions as time goes by, regardless of whether CIG or Turbulent are making the games. Gotta collect that blubber!

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Mr.PayDay posted:

The German PC Games and Gamestar magazines sold their journalistic ethics for exclusive coverage the last years, they were and are indirect paid-with-personal-Infos-from-CR shills that dropped all critical questions.
They earned money by increasing sales of their magazines whenever they had SC specials for 4-8 pages.

The editors and writers are heavily invested in SC with their private money , and that’s a a great and totally honest fundament for cognitive dissonance when you are covering CIG and SC.

You can't sell out you if never had any journalistic ethics to begin with

Yeah, they were happy to let the cultist editors and writers shill for Star Citizen as long as it got them some more (ad) revenue. I think that there's also some patriotic element to it since CIG uses a German engine and has developers in Frankfurt. German game magazines have always lamented the lack of artisanally produced games from domestic German Spieleschmieden. Whenever there is a game that has some ties to Germany, as tenuous as they may be, it receives lots of uncritical coverage and favorable reviews.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I love that in the furor about the SQ42 delay there are still people on spectrum asking when they'll get their special merchant ship and bespoke space bus and colony building ship, like they just can't internalize that those mechanics will never, ever happen

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/subvegio/status/1288768233760346113

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I guess Gio wasn't getting any money and finally understood he is sub in his relationship with CIG

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Now figure all that out while everyone's working at home...

The process was difficult enough while people were in the office. Now they're all at home, working off residential internet connections most likely (and thus probably can't download 2-3 40gb+ builds every working day/night) and trying to keep up with manageable projects.

I strongly suspect the logistics involved in doing a deep dive reveal (no spoilers!) would be absolutely monumental.

2020 is a dead year for everyone. The sooner people accept that, the sooner we can all move forward, without demanding unreasonable things from CIG.

Call me an apologist or whatever you want, I guess, but it's true. Things are fractured in a way that requires a complete overhaul of how they're working on the project, and that's going to slow things down in weird ways.

Yes, CIG could do better. They could always do better, and there's no point at which their communications will ever be perfect, but 2020 is not the year to be asking them to flip the switch and git gude. Hopefully they'll come storming out of the gates once this pandemic is over and they can get back to work properly. They would be wise to learn from the feedback, sure, but doubling down when the work is 4x as hard still looks like half the effort to a lay person.

quote:

Plenty of software companies are still keeping moving despite the difficulties of a work from home environment. Working from home also doesn’t prevent the community team from keeping the community aware of challenges or issues when they literally announce something as coming in days and just go radio silent.

quote:

True, but not all, and they're definitely not as open about things as CIG is on a good day. Most of those companies are struggling still, I'm sure, unless they are working on much smaller projects that don't take hours to download.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Scruffpuff posted:

:lol: what gives you the idea that Turbulent or anyone else could rescue this shitshow? Without like, throwing out everything but the raw assets and starting over in a process that would cost tens of millions of dollars?

And don't bring up the Duke Nukem Forever saga as an example. 3D realms was a real developer that had, when they closed down, most of a functional game. They know how to make the tech of the game they wanted. It wasn't a good game, they knew it wasn't good, and the infinite development process was about flailing around at trying to make something more interesting than what they had. Their design leads were stuck in the 90s and couldn't think of anything but looking at innovations from other shooters and saying "let's do that". And by the time they implemented that, another new game that raised the bar came out. By the end they were basically holding the game hostage to get Take2 to re-up on more attempts to make the game good.

Gearbox got 90% of a mediocre but usable body, put it together with hot glue and editing to skip over the missing parts, and shipped it. That's not star citizen. A competent developer can't build on what star citizen is now because it is already a teetering mass of bad code and technical debt.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

AbstractNapper posted:

ok, let's go back to the early SQ42 video (Oct 2012)

"They said I was dead"
"They said console was the future"
"Now the say mobile and tablets are the future"
"I say to you the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"
"I am a PC game"
"And I am a Space Sim"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_QDv7DFfxk

:lol:
I am just happy they written all those things on the promo video.

I think CIG has the technical ability to make a mobile game. Maybe some spaceship slot machine shovelware?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Unpopular opinion, I think a large part of the community is overreacting to any news and should temper expectations, before this project is known for having the whiniest self entitled fans of all posted:

I pretty much set the tone in the title, and expect to be down voted to whatever platform surfaces after reddit is out of fashion, yet allow me to continue on this negative karma harvester of a post as I expand below.

It is what it is, we all would have hoped to be playing the game we all fantasised about when we first pledged to the dream all those years ago by now. But the reality is that to reach that dream we probably still have a long way to go.

I get that this is frustrating and at times even deflating, as we all want to be able to experience the game we have helped fund and can't fathom to think that it might not ever become a reality.

I agree with being critical when things could be done better, but it really saddens me to see a growing vocal community hopping onto the hate bandwagon we used to only have to deal with from those that wanted the project to fail.

CIG were being correctly called out on the fact that they were not effectively communicating the reasons for delays to the new improved Road Maps and the release of the Squadron video. When we did get an indepth statement explaining what had happened and what we could expect in the coming weeks, many of the the same people criticising CIG's lack of transparency, now won't accept said statement and even mock the indepth break down of progress to be expected.

I feel that whatever CIG do at this point, they just can't win. I'm sure most of us want this project to be successful but we have to understand that, just because we backed this game, and some continue to fund it, we are not entitled to dictate what needs to be done and when. We are not privy to the intricacies of fulfilling such a demanding project and managing so many aspects of it.

We have to keep some faith that CIG have the communities and games best interests at heart with the decisions they make. When it is right for us and them to get the info we need we will get it.

We can't ask for full transparency on expected time lines and dates and then be angry when these are not met. We have to remind ourselves we are still in alpha and there will be more delays and unmet goals.

The community is becoming increasingly cynical and I don't think this is helping out in any way. When we pledged it was because we trusted CIG to see this project through. Let's keep trusting and not fall into the trap of ending up hating our own dream we are helping to create.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AbstractNapper posted:

Also, presumably, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw's exclusivity on Epic Games Store will also expire and it will come out on Steam and/or GOG later this year too.

That game needs more visibility especially to the crowd that wanted a Privateer with modern engine, upgraded visuals and fun gameplay.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw's reception, even with Epic exclusivity, probably indicated that the number of people who actually want a Privateer remake is less of a crowd and more of a small gathering.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

The spoiler excuse is dual-purpose. Sure, it's an excuse for why they have nothing to show. But it's also an implication that Chris's story is so amazing that to spoil it would be tragic.

So Pusher dies after an hour and you play as her killer, or SQ42 only has one mission and it sends you to the Epic Store after that to download one of the free games there?

Or both...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Klyith posted:

:lol: what gives you the idea that Turbulent or anyone else could rescue this shitshow? Without like, throwing out everything but the raw assets and starting over in a process that would cost tens of millions of dollars?

Thing is, with the ongoing revenue stream Star Citizen is generating, you absolutely could swap out the game studios, throw out all of Squadron 42 except the assets, and make a passable space game.

I don't see why this shitshow would ever end... as long as the money keeps coming in.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It'd probably be faster to just switch engines at this point too.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Klyith posted:

management.
i fully believe that CIG's biggest problem is management, and a different company might salvage things in that regard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Bootcha posted:

This... I can't back if because of my own experience. My invested funds did not count towards the backer funding total in 2012, nor any moment after that, to include my divestment.

I am willing to be wrong, but counting investor money through the funding tracker does not follow prior behavior. It is possible behavior has changed, but why would it change so much as to go so against prior behavior?

You were investing during the salad days, where the sky was the limit and people were hyped that Star Citizen was bringing in so much support from fans. I think now that gravy train has left the station and CIG has realized that as well. Seeing that other people are also getting tired of spending would be a huge blow to morale for the backers, it would cause even more backers to reconsider dumping in thousands, especially given the lack of progress on the development front. Using investor funds to keep the funding direction pointed at the moon may have been born out of desperation. It's not 2014 anymore, people will get tired of spending, new potential backers know of SC as a scam, other companies big and small are doing what SC promised to do but better faster and cheaper. Dumping investor money into the tracker may be their hail mary, just slightly better than just falsifying the tracker.