Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

rotor posted:

like i mean just turn them into the public spaces they were, and go the extra mile of removing the capitalism. Wanna hang out at the mall all day? You should be able to do that. While you're there, stop by some public computer terminals and yospost, maybe get a book from the library and read it in that little faux garden rotunda type area every mall has. Drop off a package at the post office and play some chess next to the playground.

Thats what malls should be imo.

the worst part is this was the original design for the mall but the usual suspects they could EXTRACT MORE if they made it deliberately uncomfortable to loiter there unless you were spending money

i’ve mentioned it before but this is why malls are so renowned for being the one place you don’t want to go to if you’re on hallucinogens. turns out being on a substance that makes you way more sensitive to your surroundings in a place that was deliberately engineered to be subtly uncomfortable isn’t a good idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the worst part is this was the original design for the mall but the usual suspects they could EXTRACT MORE if they made it deliberately uncomfortable to loiter there unless you were spending money

i’ve mentioned it before but this is why malls are so renowned for being the one place you don’t want to go to if you’re on hallucinogens. turns out being on a substance that makes you way more sensitive to your surroundings in a place that was deliberately engineered to be subtly uncomfortable isn’t a good idea!

thats also why i wouldnt read your posts in the same situation

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my posts are best paired with malort, yeah

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jabor posted:

in real towns (and also in the most expensive and desirable places in american cities), culture exists because people live there. simcity zoning, where you have residential wastelands with nothing to do, and commercial wastelands where nobody lives, and it's a pain in the rear end to get from one to the other, is exactly the opposite of how a city should be designed, but it's incredibly common in america.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfm2xCKOCNk

America looked like this too prior to 1925 or so and everyone forgot lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i’ve mentioned it before but this is why malls are so renowned for being the one place you don’t want to go to if you’re on hallucinogens.

hmm yesterday I agreed to work every second sunday in a pharmacy in a mall. lmao. come see me and get your emergency contraceptive.

i’ll try to avoid taking acid before my shift, but I won’t make any promises :razz:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Today is day 1 of RTO but I hurt my back in the gym yesterday and am not going. All the excessively keen people are champing at the bit to breathe each other's farts and get coronavirus

... at the gym?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

PIZZA.BAT posted:

this is how i learned that we need to redecorate our master bedroom 😞

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PIZZA.BAT posted:

when I was a no good teen I went to the airport on half a hit and that was not a good idea, too many rules and too much patterned carpet

another aspect of modern zoning and development is they prefer giant megaprojects over selling small lots because it's easier to administer and get approval, etc. but those never, ever produce livable spaces, there's never enough retail and what they do build sits empty because it's a "retail condo" which means you need a million dollar upfront to open anything

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

is that why those 4+1 or whatever apartments with the bottom "retail space" never have any actual stores?? the ones here have never had a store in them, and yet they have "retail space available!!" ads plastered all over the windows

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Gnossiennes posted:

is that why those 4+1 or whatever apartments with the bottom "retail space" never have any actual stores?? the ones here have never had a store in them, and yet they have "retail space available!!" ads plastered all over the windows
eh, it depends on the area. some places have big tax deductions for unleased commercial space, so the building owners can hold out for a tenant willing to take over their over priced space

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the ones here inevitably get a trader joes or whole foods or a high-end gym

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Even here in the rural midwest the "downtown" area is the most expensive area to live as far as rent goes even compared to the "nicer" mcmansion suburbs. If you're actually working class where I live you either live in low-income housing that is isolated to whatever corner of the city that was unable to block its creation in time, or you rent or own (lol, well, if you were poor/working class 10+ years ago) a tiny ranch house that was built in the 60's-70's located in dead one-stoplight towns ~20-30 minutes away from the city.

To give you an idea I work in academia and the pay isn't great, but it's still better than the normal average pay for the region. Most of my coworkers live like 40-60 minutes out in the aforementioned dead one-stoplight towns because they can afford to live there and not IN the city the university is in.

Also like 90% of the four-over-one retail space even on campus sits empty. They put a grocery store in the first floor of one in a high traffic area that has a lot of students living there, with no easily accessible store otherwise. It lasted approximately one year and closed. It still sits empty 4 years later.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gnossiennes posted:

when the building was financed the loan paperwork stated that the retail space would be renting out for big $$$$. once that building was built it was then used as collateral to secure loans to build another building. the problem is that the value of that building as collateral is tied up in that projection of all the tenants being tiffanys or louis vuitton stores. putting in something less lucrative (like a gap or a walgreens or a trader joes) would mean admitting that the building is not worth what it was claimed when it was used as collateral. so the owner has a strong incentive to keep that space unoccupied on the implied promise that a louboutin or a ferragamo store will be moving in any moment now, even if it means foregoing the monthly rent that an old navy or a seven eleven would generate.

its worth it to take a loss on that empty retail space, because to actually put something in there would collapse the currently indeterminate wave function that determines its value, and lead to the unwinding of the property owners entire portfolio

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

vacancy tax now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

vacancy tax now

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PokeJoe posted:

vacancy tax now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe posted:

vacancy tax now

vacancy tax plus if it keeps being vacant for years just confiscate the land for public use.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

use it or lose it clause

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
how would confiscating the land for public use work when we're talking about the first floor of a 5 story building people live on the other floors of

Apr 7, 2003

haveblue posted:

how would confiscating the land for public use work when we're talking about the first floor of a 5 story building people live on the other floors of

The flrst floor is now a public lending library, enjoy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

turn the first floor into a library

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The flrst floor is now a public lending library, enjoy

gently caress u

Apr 7, 2003

Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

haveblue posted:

if only there were some legal mechanism by which several different entities could own property on the same plot of land

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

if only there were some legal mechanism by which several different entities could own property on the same plot of land

also just confiscate the residential units as well. their landlord is now the city easy as

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

there’s retail in the first floor of my apartment building. we have two small vegetable markets, a convenience store, a korean food market, a tea shop, a photo/printing shop, a liquor and cigarette shop, a pharmacy, a coffee shop, two bars, a gym, a pet shop, a courier service drop off/pickup place, and a hair salon. floors 2-4 are offices. floors 5-31 are residential

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fart simpson posted:

there’s retail in the first floor of my apartment building. we have two small vegetable markets, a convenience store, a korean food market, a tea shop, a photo/printing shop, a liquor and cigarette shop, a pharmacy, a coffee shop, two bars, a gym, a pet shop, a courier service drop off/pickup place, and a hair salon. floors 2-4 are offices. floors 5-31 are residential
yeah seeing hong kong for the first time it was like "wait, they can just put anything anywhere???" every building there has a mall in it but it's not mall stores it's normal small businesses including stuff like bars they would never allow in the us

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah my area is the same way, if there were a convenience store and a weed shop I'd almost never need to go anywhere more than 300 metres away

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Toronto's biggest problem for that is that the loving developers create one giant retail space on the ground floor, expecting a Shopper's Drug Mart to Rexall or some other "prestige" retail business to just move on in, which would mean multiple pharmacies per block in some cases. no sane business is gonna so that, so the spaces go empty.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

there are at least 5 pharmacies within a 5 minute walk of my apartment

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fart simpson posted:

this is part of what makes every east/southeast asian city i've visited feel so much more alive and energetic than cities of comparable size in the us.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the mall i was thinking of installed bathrooms into the apartments, it's not like they expected people to use the public restrooms lol

it doesn't matter because they won't do it anywhere else

rotor posted:

malls could also be community centers and libraries and skate parks and just general public spaces, it doesn't have to be housing.

yeah here the dead mall downtown has a three-story public library and performing space taking up a huge part of it; the rest is a bank, movie theatre, couple of stores and office space

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PIZZA.BAT posted:

my posts are best paired with malort, yeah

i am targeting the boones farm consumer with my posts

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i am targeting the boones farm consumer with my posts

does boones farm still exist?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
aside from the aforementioned financing boondoggles, mixed use commercial/residential is often favorable to zoning boards in a way that strict residential wouldn’t be (i.e., you can reclaim light commercial zones into commercial/residential easier than you can take residential zones and allow commercial use).

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
got my third shot yesterday morning, spent all night with a crazy fever, nausea, aches, even threw up at one point.

today it's just sore arm and tiredness, but that was one unpleasant reaction.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
wow you're just getting your third? shame. you should be on your fourth by now.

i had no reaction whatsoever to any of my three pfizer shots because my immune system is either perfect or nonexistent. whichever one you get from smoking weed, i guess

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Kazinsal posted:

does boones farm still exist?

if not then i am going for the MD 20/20 market

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

wow you're just getting your third? shame. you should be on your fourth by now.

i had no reaction whatsoever to any of my three pfizer shots because my immune system is either perfect or nonexistent. whichever one you get from smoking weed, i guess

we’ve had zero cases locally for the last year and a half or so until the last couple weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
can we close the thread so covid will be over

i'm getting push notifications from google photos reminding me its year two and i do not wish to continue thanks

i wish i had posted the standing desk i made out of beer boxes in april 2020 but i lost the photo