Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

honestly barren wastelands probably have a lot more to do with graphics budgets, especially on consoles, than any sort of lore or whatever

Bethesda wanted to evoke classic post-apocalypse movies like Mad Max 2/3, A Boy And His Dog, etc. and those movies all take place in barren wastelands, as of course did the original Fallout games, which they also probably wanted to evoke to some extent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

2house2fly posted:

Good that you mentioned that, because otherwise he'd have had to find out by playing the game.

Oh poo poo, I thought you figured this out all at once when you meet him again and thus assumed that he had already found out who Shaun is. Whoops.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The reason Shaun is an old fart is because you spent a couple of decades making Settlements and making the Commonwealth prosperous again

Turns out you woke up only a few years after Shaun was actually taken

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

The reason Shaun is an old fart is because you spent a couple of decades making Settlements and making the Commonwealth prosperous again

Turns out you woke up only a few years after Shaun was actually taken

It’d be cool as gently caress if the age of Shaun varies and depends on how many sidequests / other poo poo you did.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vinylshadow posted:

The reason Shaun is an old fart is because you spent a couple of decades setting up MILAs

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

honestly barren wastelands probably have a lot more to do with graphics budgets, especially on consoles, than any sort of lore or whatever

I'm pretty sure Bethesda was just carrying on from Fallout 1/2, where magical pulp sci-fi radiation has turned everything into glowing deserts.

Radiation in the Fallout games is not radiation as we know it. It doesn't affect creatures or the environment in the same way.

Fallout radiation is actually.... :siren: ~RADIATION!!~ :siren: from a 1950s sci-fi magazine, shouted in the same voice that Dr. Mobius uses to shout about his robo scorpions.

This is why, even in original games, California and the lush Pacific Northwest have become nothing but scorched sands, windblown ruins, and mutated animals.

EDIT: My sense from the original games is that the entire world is a dying radioactive dust bowl.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 4, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

Bethesda wanted to evoke classic post-apocalypse movies like Mad Max 2/3, A Boy And His Dog, etc. and those movies all take place in barren wastelands, as of course did the original Fallout games, which they also probably wanted to evoke to some extent

or is that just the reason they give? Even Skyrim was mostly grassy field than lush foresty jungles

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Morally that was the right choice, but if you ever do another playthrough I recommend stringing them along for a while because Gage and the other raiders say some interesting/funny things and give you some cool gear.

Also, lessons in blood is one of the better companion given perks: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Lessons_in_Blood

That No Caps Rage, which gives you higher strength and endurance the fewer caps you have from one of the SCAV! magazines is also pretty great.

Plus I think you get to keep the gang perks if you doublecross them?

HatJudge posted:

The first time I started the game, around when it launched, I bounced off hard. The settlement building was clunky and not fun and I was disappointed, to say the least, that within the first hour or so I had already been handed a power armor and killed a deathclaw.
I tried again during christmas break and found that by ignoring everything and making a beeline to Fenway I was able to get into it. I'm on a console so I had to do my ignoring manually, without the aid of mods.
I hate it when games give an urgent quest - your child is kidnapped!! - and then peppers you with unrelated sidequests as if the urgency is of no consequence. Taking time off to help some whiny settlers build beds and plant potatoes is hands down ridiculous. That said, I might have felt differently had I realized that I'd been frozen an extra ten years after Kellogg took the kid.
I'd rather have a game where Detective Nick and I roam the Commonwealth, solving crimes and helping the downtrodden.

Ten years? Um... keep playing.

BarronsArtGallery posted:

So if you install even one mod, achievements won't work on FO4, correct? Even the traditional dialogue options menu mod?

If you care about cheevoes, you need to get them all before you start modding. Modding disables them, try not to get burnt out on the game by then like I did.

On the other hand, a break is nice. I'll come back fresh in a year or so.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
As a brief detour from radiationchat, gog's summer sale has all the pre-fallout4 fallouts discounted if anyone's looking for em. $2.50 for 1/2/Tactics, $10 for NV Ultimate/FO3 GotY

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’d be cool as gently caress if the age of Shaun varies and depends on how many sidequests / other poo poo you did.

In a Fallout 4 ~done right~ Shaun would have been the B plot, not the primary story. Then, when you started a new game it could have selected one of a dozen or so possible fates for him, which you wouldn't know until you found him. (Fallout 4 done right would also lose the entire synth plotline)

One game he'd be the evil leader of a band of raiders.
Another game he'd be running the local Brotherhood of Steel.
A drunked, washed up merc in a shack.
An elderly farmer.
A ghoul.
Died of old age decades ago, and you can find his tombstone and your great grandkids, and hear tales of the heroic Vault Dweller that saved Boston.

etc etc

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fintilgin posted:

In a Fallout 4 ~done right~ Shaun would have been the B plot, not the primary story. Then, when you started a new game it could have selected one of a dozen or so possible fates for him, which you wouldn't know until you found him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZee8HevRfw

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

or is that just the reason they give? Even Skyrim was mostly grassy field than lush foresty jungles

Depends on where you were. The southern parts of Skyrim were quite heavily forested (areas around Riften and especially Falkreath). It got more valley/plains-ish around the middle (Whiterun, Markarth) and then more desolate/snow wasteland that further north you went (excepting the swampy area east of Solitude).

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ComposerGuy posted:

quite heavily forested (areas around Riften and especially Falkreath).

Maybe its a perception issue but this is what I think of when I think heavily forested.

Maybe its because I've spent a lot of time in the parks of the PNW, but even the areas around St Helens that erupted a relatively short time ago are far, far more lush than Falkreath. Those areas look like what I would consider a relatively young forest that was recently replanted after being heavily forested. I think this is partly because of the perception of what 'heavily forested' means to us because we've pretty much destroyed the vast majority of our forests. Like the areas around Falkreath are what you'd expect maybe like fifty years after no humans. Sure evil everywhere radiation is a good excuse in fallout, but the main reason we don't see any real portrayal forest or nature in games is graphics budgets. Even the regrowth mod for fallout4 that plops down a zillion short trees and ivy everywhere can be rough on reasonably specced computers and its kind of just meh in terms of what nature when left alone for a couple hundred years would do.

I'd love to go somewhere with crazy mutated jungle or something in a Fallout game. Why did the radiation just mutate the cows?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

I'm pretty sure Bethesda was just carrying on from Fallout 1/2, where magical pulp sci-fi radiation has turned everything into glowing deserts.

Radiation in the Fallout games is not radiation as we know it. It doesn't affect creatures or the environment in the same way.

Fallout radiation is actually.... :siren: ~RADIATION!!~ :siren: from a 1950s sci-fi magazine, shouted in the same voice that Dr. Mobius uses to shout about his robo scorpions.

This is why, even in original games, California and the lush Pacific Northwest have become nothing but scorched sands, windblown ruins, and mutated animals.

EDIT: My sense from the original games is that the entire world is a dying radioactive dust bowl.

Fallout 1 and 2 are set in California and Nevada. Central and southern California and pretty much all of Nevada are already pretty desolate. If you were to add in radiation to the mix I could see the valleys looking the way they are depicted in the games. However, the East Coast was fairly lush prior to industrialization, so I could see the forests reclaiming the area pretty quickly, though that would put a damper on some of the aesthetic of the Fallout series that was set in those first two.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

2house2fly posted:

It's kind of funny that Shaun actually being in no danger at all should relax the usual tension between main quest and side quests, but because the main character doesn't actually know that it doesn't make any difference. Plus of course it turns out Shaun actually is in danger he has a terminal illness :ssh:

Shaun started the game by waking you up in cyrosleep. He played hide and seek. He could have had institute corsairs go grab you from the vault but he wanted to see what you would do in the nuclear world.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 4, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't really know what you're talking about. I found Shaun, he was behind glass in that Institute place. When that creep who took him came barreling in I immediately caved his skull in. That's when I saw that Shaun was motionless and hunched over - he had shut off. He had already been replaced by a Synth! It was a great twist, one communicated entirely through visuals and not dialogue.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
this defense of fallout 3 started autoplaying after a video about fallout 4 tips i was watching, and it's pretty interesting: https://youtu.be/5z8XHe2NoAE

note: i didn't realize it's loving two hours long, i watched 13 minutes before i thought to share it here, so don't think i'm weird if he goes off the deep end

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

this defense of fallout 3 started autoplaying after a video about fallout 4 tips i was watching, and it's pretty interesting: https://youtu.be/5z8XHe2NoAE

note: i didn't realize it's loving two hours long, i watched 13 minutes before i thought to share it here, so don't think i'm weird if he goes off the deep end

Jon doesn't really go off the deep end, he's just one of the people who first forayed into Fallout through Fallout 3. He's actually a really fun Let's Player.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jon doesn't really go off the deep end, he's just one of the people who first forayed into Fallout through Fallout 3. He's actually a really fun Let's Player.

first time seeing it and the dude, and i just didn't wanna be judged if in minute 85 he started in on why he hates minorities or something

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How does the most technological place on the nuked earth have the only person in the fallout universe dying of cancer. There's people that have turned into literal zombies. They can remove peoples brains and put them into robots but one person gets cancer. They had FEV he could have been dipped.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
FO3 sucks and is bad

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

How does the most technological place on the nuked earth have the only person in the fallout universe dying of cancer. There's people that have turned into literal zombies. They can remove peoples brains and put them into robots but one person gets cancer. They had FEV he could have been dipped.

Ironically he was a firm believer in homeopathic medicine. I guess all the horrors of super science made him distrustful of medicine.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Shaun started the game by waking you up in cyrosleep. He played hide and seek. He could have had institute corsairs go grab you from the vault but he wanted to see what you would do in the nuclear world.

I feel like him being such a massive dick there was basically Bethesda giving people permission to betray him without feeling guilty about it. Or they're just bad writers and realized they had a plot hole they had to explain away and couldn't come up with any reason other than him being a dick.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 4, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i don't think it's a plot hole that the guy running the evil underground cabal of scientists and the main antagonist of the game is a dick

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The only good part of Fallout 4's main plot is when you can tell your son to his face he's a disappointment and a failure.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

deathbagel posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 are set in California and Nevada. Central and southern California and pretty much all of Nevada are already pretty desolate. If you were to add in radiation to the mix I could see the valleys looking the way they are depicted in the games. However, the East Coast was fairly lush prior to industrialization, so I could see the forests reclaiming the area pretty quickly, though that would put a damper on some of the aesthetic of the Fallout series that was set in those first two.

Fallout 2 is northern California and parts of southern Oregon, and are also endless radioactive desert.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was probably more to do with asset reuse from the first game than anything else

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

Now that would have been interesting. Like stuff you do could have influence how you'd find Shaun. All hooked up to a life pod like House, a Robobrain, a Super Mutant, an android copy, etc.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The only good part of Fallout 4's main plot is when you can tell your son to his face he's a disappointment and a failure.

And then shoot his face and blow up his life's work.

Now that's what I call a family reunion!

It's weird, when you break down Fallout 4's main plot to it's bare bones (a parent trying to stop their rear end in a top hat super villain son from being a douchebag set against the backdrop of the post apocalypse) it sounds like it could actually be pretty good, but it's not.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's a lot of interesting stuff in there; I like the theme of "normal" being an illusion that can be yanked away at any time, which is a perfect theme to express with the sudden onset of nuclear war, and losing your wife and chasing your son only to realise you were never going to get him back is a great tragic escalation of that. It's a very relatable story even to non-parents; there can't be many people in the modern world who aren't preoccupied at some time or another with the precarity of their existence, especially in America. But man, I just can't stand playing through this drat story

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

The pacing is abysmal because it tries to play the urgency card as well as dragging you off to side quests. So it starts and stops with these huge gaps for free roaming, which then dilutes the allegedly urgent parts of the plot.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Randaconda posted:

I dunno, Frost wasn't that good for DAI

Frostbite was fine for DA:I. ME:A is where Bioware tripped and fell in using Frostbite, but that's a topic for another thread.

No, but good thing someone already linked you the correct one, hey?

Randaconda posted:

After 200 years, the entire east coast should probably be well on it's way back to becoming nothing but forest again.

:agreed:

Azhais posted:

There was an old documentary "Life after people", maybe? that went over how fast things would overrun everything. I think it's on Youtube if you're interested

Life After People is fantastic and everyone should go watch it right now: https://www.history.com/shows/life-after-people

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's weird, when you break down Fallout 4's main plot to it's bare bones (a parent trying to stop their rear end in a top hat super villain son from being a douchebag set against the backdrop of the post apocalypse) it sounds like it could actually be pretty good, but it's not.

Yeah. I would have had you find that out a lot sooner, and then main plot is the Survivor gadding about the Commonwealth finding allies and such. Maybe when you confront Kellogg he has you talk to Shaun. Something like that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bethesda's attempts to use urgency never works, because it always clashes with their modern open-world design. Morrowind straight up wouldn't let you start the main quest until you had some levels under your belt, even. New Vegas and Obsidian and all, but your initial quest for revenge/finding out what's the deal with the Platinum Chip coincided with building this world where the Legion and the NCR were about to have another showdown was also a smart escalation of urgency.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

The pacing is abysmal because it tries to play the urgency card as well as dragging you off to side quests. So it starts and stops with these huge gaps for free roaming, which then dilutes the allegedly urgent parts of the plot.

Would have been a lot better if it had been the player shot in the head and frozen before they die and then unthawed and patched up.

And also Shaun is a platinum poker chip.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why does the Vault Tec guy wear the same clothes for 200 years? I'd changed clothing within 2 minutes of leaving the Vault.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Is there a mod that puts the vault tec guy in Bennys suit?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why does he still remember someone he had a 2 minute conversation with 200 years ago? I don't remember people I talked to last week. What a goon, I'm going to put him in a pillory and have one of those automatic paint guns shoot him in the butt, forever.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mantis42 posted:

Why does the Vault Tec guy wear the same clothes for 200 years? I'd changed clothing within 2 minutes of leaving the Vault.

These are the same clothes I watched my wife get shot in. Oh your talking about the other vault tec guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Why does he still remember someone he had a 2 minute conversation with 200 years ago? I don't remember people I talked to last week. What a goon, I'm going to put him in a pillory and have one of those automatic paint guns shoot him in the butt, forever.

To be fair, the day he had that conversation with the main character was an incredibly significant day in his life

E: lol jinx