Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ok yeah this doesn't sound remotely like an actual car idk what they're going for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

triple sulk posted:

he has a physics degree which is loving useless, and he then (per wiki) went for applied physics and dropped out after two days

he doesn't understand anything

Right, for some reason I though he had a formal education since even the critics seem to give him credit for actually having done something hands on with PayPal. I hope he didn't. You'd really have to pity the guy who had to had to clean up after the self-taught genius micromanager with a fragile professional ego.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Elon: normal assembly lines go 1 mph but what if we just turn the dial up to like 30 mph and make the cars a lot faster?

actual engineer: then the doors that it takes the robots 6 minutes to bolt on would have to be done in 12 seconds.

Elon: I know, that’s the genius part.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im still trying to figure out why an absolute mediocrity like elon has such large and loyal cult following

if all you wanted to do was to suck up to your billionaire better why not go for some richer and more competent like bezos

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

babypolis posted:

im still trying to figure out why an absolute mediocrity like elon has such large and loyal cult following

if all you wanted to do was to suck up to your billionaire better why not go for some richer and more competent like bezos

PR

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I actually wonder why Bezos is taking so much longer for orbital rockets. It can’t just be because of labor practices.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

it all boils down to hero worship and by golly we need another king

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

if elon was good at pr he woulndt have called a hero diver a pedo

my guess is he was just lucky in riding the I loving LOVE SCIENCE wave

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

babypolis posted:

if elon was good at pr

that is why he hires people and then doesn't listen to them

they still do a job when he isn't loving up

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

that is why he hires people and then doesn't listen to them

they still do a job when he isn't loving up

and you think bezos isnt hiring the same quality of pr firms?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

babypolis posted:

pretty much. the world has no shortage of idiots who love anything vaguely scientific, Elon is one of them he just got lucky and had his company bought out by PayPal during the first tech boom, so of course he bought the car company named after the cool hipster science guy.

I mean it's no wonder he's popular with I loving LOVE SCIENCE people or reddit dweebs or the oatmeal, he's doing exactly what they would do with money; waste it on vanity projects and blow the rest by not actually knowing jack about poo poo.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

shiksa posted:

pretty much. the world has no shortage of idiots who love anything vaguely scientific, Elon is one of them he just got lucky and had his company bought out by PayPal during the first tech boom, so of course he bought the car company named after the cool hipster science guy.

I mean it's no wonder he's popular with I loving LOVE SCIENCE people or reddit dweebs or the oatmeal, he's doing exactly what they would do with money; waste it on vanity projects and blow the rest by not actually knowing jack about poo poo.

The really terrible thing is that as an actual scientist 99% of people literally don't loving care when you start actually talking to them about science

They just like some turd ferguson version of science that they saw on Nickelodeon as kids that involves glowing beaks full of fuming chemicals and white people in lab coats and goggles

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-stock-rises-after-car-maker-reports-wider-quarterly-loss-but-beats-on-revenue-2018-08-01

This might be why it went up, apparently they beat revenue estimates so basically people thought it was gonna be even worse than it was lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kommienzuspadt posted:

The really terrible thing is that as an actual scientist 99% of people literally don't loving care when you start actually talking to them about science

They just like some turd ferguson version of science that they saw on Nickelodeon as kids that involves glowing beaks full of fuming chemicals and white people in lab coats and goggles

well yeah thats the entire thing, most people are too dumb to understand actual science stuff, they want easily digestible sound bites that sound cool even if they have very little to do with the actual research

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Kommienzuspadt posted:

they don't loving love science

they loving love shiny poo poo

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
people who loving love science actually just love the most boring trivia

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
and they think high tech shiny poo poo is the shiniest shiny poo poo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

babypolis posted:

he hired a really good one called the washington post

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

ryde posted:

I actually wonder why Bezos is taking so much longer for orbital rockets. It can’t just be because of labor practices.

space poo poo probably gets done faster if your willing to burn vc cash in a money pit like musk and bezos is just more cautious and prefers the sure thing

babypolis posted:

maybe bezos just wants to get away with normal evil rich guy stuff instead of being a celebrity and banging fellow celebs?

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Wulfolme posted:

they don't loving love science

they loving love shiny poo poo

They don't love science. They love the big bang theory.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pigz posted:

They don't love science. They love the big bang theory.

as an antisocial misanthrope, you too can have a hot blonde girlfriend

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
people who think bill clinton got a raw deal and people who think elon musk are cool are the same people in different decades

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-stock-rises-after-car-maker-reports-wider-quarterly-loss-but-beats-on-revenue-2018-08-01

This might be why it went up, apparently they beat revenue estimates so basically people thought it was gonna be even worse than it was lol

pretty easy to do when you stop selling your $35k model 3 and just sell the $70k model 3

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

pretty easy to do when you stop selling your $35k model 3 and just sell the $70k model 3

The $35k model is still complete vaporware. It has not existed and is very likely to never exist.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

The $35k model is still complete vaporware. It has not existed and is very likely to never exist.

i forgot who said car citizen but that's a good line

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FCKGW posted:

It also means they're cheating on future earnings by only directing cars to the high price, high margin people on the waiting list.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

It also means they're cheating on future earnings by only directing cars to the high price, high margin people on the waiting list.

is it really cheating though because i think theyve been saying all along that thats what theyre doing

unless theyre not deducting those deliveries from their receivables and double-counting them that way

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

is it really cheating though because i think theyve been saying all along that thats what theyre doing

unless theyre not deducting those deliveries from their receivables and double-counting them that way

I meant they're depleting the waiting list pool preferentially making the revenue performance harder to repeat. By "cheating" I meant they're taking earnings from future quarters now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

babypolis posted:

hes a decent hype man when he sticks to his role but the hero worship poo poo has corroded his brain, which wasn't especially impressive to begin with

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

hes a decent hype man when he sticks to his role but the hero worship poo poo has corroded his brain, which wasn't especially impressive to begin with

thats a good guess too

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
If you can pull it off, having a loss leader isn’t a bad strategy. Sell a boatload of solid entry models to push the brand. Later you can recognize economies of scale and cash in on luxury versions of that foundational tech. Throw in leasing and financing services, too.

...though, probably not if you can’t cobble together a working batch of your bottom-of-the-line model.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

babypolis posted:

his PR people don't control his tweeting so he's suffering from the same image pitfalls trump does when the carefully crafted idea of the person clashes with them personally saying extremely dumb poo poo that alienates everyone except their personality cultists

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

ryde posted:

SpaceX is basically a government grant grift operation burning through billions of US government dollars on gimmicks, Blue Origin is entirely privately funded and is slowly developing market viable technologies and products in their BE series engines

edit since that sounds bootlick-y as gently caress: yes bezos is a horrendously evil piece of poo poo, but he's also a competent businessman and Blue Origin actually has a future assuming we don't all succumb to hellworld and end up fighting roving bands of scavengers for drinking water. the future of musk's companies relies entirely on whether his celebrity star continues to rise since hes basically entirely incompetent beyond being a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like

Wheeee has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Aug 2, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wheeee posted:

SpaceX is basically a government grant grift operation burning through billions of US government dollars on gimmicks, Blue Origin is entirely privately funded and is slowly developing market viable technologies and products in their BE series engines

SpaceX is actually doing pretty well by most metrics despite Musk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_launch_market_competition#2010s:_Competition_and_pricing_pressure

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Probably because they don't let him near anything that matters :v:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
elon musk is the only guy thats a capitalist but also the closest thing to "defeating" global warming without upsetting the comfort of the upper middle class and wealthy.

this is his appeal.

if he fails, they lose.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Truga posted:

Probably because they don't let him near anything that matters :v:

SpaceX basically tricked companies into investing billions of dollars with the promise of profits that will probably never come. Presumably they use that funding to win bids by undercutting the competition. Their actual missions (commercial and otherwise) have quietly been quite successful (everyone only pays attention to the Musk stunts, but theyve been doing dozens of real missions). Eventually the company will crumble when it inevitably fails to turn a profit (because, no poo poo, spaceflight is not a profitable industry and should be run by public entities), at which point hopefully the remnants can be nationalized and any useful technology can be saved from IP hell.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

OK someone explain to me very slowly why this complete trainwreck warrants a 9% increase in stock value after hours

Could it be just that.. The stock market is poo poo and doesn't mean anything?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

orange sky posted:

OK someone explain to me very slowly why this complete trainwreck warrants a 9% increase in stock value after hours

Could it be just that.. The stock market is poo poo and doesn't mean anything?

Elon promised that theyd start making lots of money very soon and investors believed him.