Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isnoop
Jan 9, 2001

I used to be an admin,
but then I took an arrow
to the knee.
Please use this thread to report vote spamming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eaglebtc
Feb 22, 2003
Snoops - is this supposed to be a mod only thread?

Neat idea for a sub forum! Who came up with it?

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries
Could we make suggestions in this thread/somewhere?

I think it would pretty neat if the thread starter had a box similar to the director/star box where they could put a link to the movie's IMDB page.

Also - perhaps there could be a filter to only see one type of movie?

Like adventure or comedy or drama instead of all of the movies mixed together. That would be pretty neat.

Quick Stop fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 2, 2004

Arm Unit 700
Sep 13, 2003

buh?
Not a vote spam report, but the alt text on the rating buttons still refer to thread quality rather movie ratings, might wanna update that when you get round to it.

Also, been looking forward to this forum for a long time, long live it :)

eaglebtc
Feb 22, 2003

quote:

Quick Stop came out of the closet to say:
Could we make suggestions in this thread/somewhere?

I think it would pretty neat if the thread starter had a box similar to the director/star box where they could put a link to the movie's IMDB page.

Also - perhaps there could be a filter to only see one type of movie?

Like adventure or comedy or drama instead of all of the movies mixed together. That would be pretty neat.

You'd have to make new thread tags for that.

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries

quote:

eaglebtc came out of the closet to say:

You'd have to make new thread tags for that.

Not really - since each thread creator chooses the genre from a drop down box, it could easily be done via that value.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm noticing a disproportionate number of people voting movies one. Think about it people, would you really rate the movie just one * out of 5? If so, I think you owe at least a post explaining why you didn't like it. I have a feeling people look at the rating, and then if they don't think the movie deserves that good a rating, they just give it a one to pull it down.

Colt
Nov 2, 2003

quote:

Fast Luck came out of the closet to say:
I'm noticing a disproportionate number of people voting movies one. Think about it people, would you really rate the movie just one * out of 5? If so, I think you owe at least a post explaining why you didn't like it. I have a feeling people look at the rating, and then if they don't think the movie deserves that good a rating, they just give it a one to pull it down.

That's exactly what's happening. I think a lot of people are also rating movies they haven't seen just to go with the flow and drop the rating down or pull it up.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

quote:

Colt came out of the closet to say:

That's exactly what's happening. I think a lot of people are also rating movies they haven't seen just to go with the flow and drop the rating down or pull it up.

That's almost always a problem with a user-ratings system. Even on imdb, the highest concentration of votes are "10" and "1" for most films, which reveals the attempts to manipulate the system.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Or maybe other people have already explained how they would also feel about the movie feelings and they really think the film needs a five or a one, smart guy.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

quote:

Daedra came out of the closet to say:
Or maybe other people have already explained how they would also feel about the movie feelings and they really think the film needs a five or a one, smart guy.

You might think that, but it doesn't appear to be the case in certain movies. For example in 'Back to the Future', you see some guy named 'tyler' voted it a 1 without any explanation (in fact, no one in the thread dissed the movie). 1/5 is a powerfully bad rating.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK
Hey guys there is a discussion thread ok?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

RabidLeper came out of the closet to say:
Hey guys there is a discussion thread ok?

They ARE talking about the voting system, though..

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK

quote:

The Walrus came out of the closet to say:

They ARE talking about the voting system, though..

True, but this thread should be to report vote spamming types. I think some of the ideas/arguements that go with the voting system should be in the suggestion thread.

dma
Feb 10, 2003

quote:

admiraldennis came out of the closet to say:

You might think that, but it doesn't appear to be the case in certain movies. For example in 'Back to the Future', you see some guy named 'tyler' voted it a 1 without any explanation (in fact, no one in the thread dissed the movie). 1/5 is a powerfully bad rating.

Is there a way to change a rating if you vote 1 by mistake?

Montez
Sep 15, 2003

Frog blast the vent cores!
I didn't know where else to post this, so sorry if it's completely out of place: Why aren't there any user names in the "Last Post" column? Is it supposed to be like this, or does it have to do with the forum tweaking that Radium is doing? It's not a big deal really, I'm just used to using that column to see if any new replies have been made to threads I'm interested in - it's much easier to remember a name than the number of replies.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

quote:

Montez came out of the closet to say:
I didn't know where else to post this, so sorry if it's completely out of place: Why aren't there any user names in the "Last Post" column? Is it supposed to be like this, or does it have to do with the forum tweaking that Radium is doing? It's not a big deal really, I'm just used to using that column to see if any new replies have been made to threads I'm interested in - it's much easier to remember a name than the number of replies.
because it's not necessary to show who the last person to post a review was in a movie review forum.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

quote:

If someone is voting 1 for more then a few movies, then they either hate movies in general and shouldn't be voting, or they don't understand the voting system (and shouldn't be voting). I can't think of a movie that I hated to such a degree that I need to rate it a one. OTOH, I can only think of one or two movies that I could give a five too as well. And that's the way it should be.

Powerglove
Aug 4, 2003

Can something be done about 2 and 3 line reviews popping up, e.g. all the Star Wars reviews? If people can't be bothered to write an actual review, they shouldn't post one. I imagine those threads will be cluttered with flames for the first few posts because the thread poster is lazy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
In the Battlefield Earth thread, a few people voted 5.5, including FYAD regular BukkakeParty. Call me crazy, but this seems like one of those HILARIOUS FYAD pranks, seeing as nearly every other vote is 2 or below.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

quote:

Zakharov came out of the closet to say:
In the Battlefield Earth thread, a few people voted 5.5, including FYAD regular BukkakeParty. Call me crazy, but this seems like one of those HILARIOUS FYAD pranks, seeing as nearly every other vote is 2 or below.
oh no, we should ban people for having opinions

Scrooge McDuck
Jan 6, 2004
I am reasonably certain that HARLOT! is vote-spamming. Whoever it is has voted Troy and Black Christmas a .5 with no explanation.

edit: apparently the troy vote was changed

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
HARLOT! also voted "Duck Soup" a 0.5. If that isn't stupid, I don't know what is.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
An extreme approach:
  • Only allow people to place a vote when writing a reply/review.
  • Keep the "submit reply" button hidden (and don't allow the vote to be cast) until there's at least 150 words in the post.
  • Tag everyone's reply with the vote they gave.
Pros: Ensures that everyone who votes contributes something informative and vice versa.

Cons: May put the vast majority of sensible voters, who don't have time to write up reviews, off voting.

It does annoy me that the vast majority of low-voters don't bother expressing an opinion. I'd much rather read just one well-written negative review than see a hundred people all voting "1" without saying why.

Retroblique fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 8, 2004

Wendell
May 11, 2003

quote:

Powerglove came out of the closet to say:
Can something be done about 2 and 3 line reviews popping up, e.g. all the Star Wars reviews? If people can't be bothered to write an actual review, they shouldn't post one. I imagine those threads will be cluttered with flames for the first few posts because the thread poster is lazy.

Oh bitch bitch bitch. Them posting a short review isn't going to stop you, or someone else, from posting a long one in the same thread.

nk fshx
Aug 24, 2003

quote:

Sonance came out of the closet to say:
An extreme approach:
  • Keep the "submit reply" button hidden (and don't allow the vote to be cast) until there's at least 150 words in the post.
Pros: Ensures that everyone who votes contributes something informative and vice versa.

Cons: May put the vast majority of sensible voters, who don't have time to write up reviews, off voting.

It does annoy me that the vast majority of low-voters don't bother expressing an opinion. I'd much rather read just one well-written negative review than see a hundred people all voting "1" without saying why.
Just because someone doesn't go on for 3 pages talking about camera angles doesn't mean their review is invalid. sheesh

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

quote:

Niki Fishsticks came out of the closet to say:
Just because someone doesn't go on for 3 pages talking about camera angles doesn't mean their review is invalid. sheesh
A one-sentence review that just says the movie "sucked" isn't invalid, but it is really, really useless. Obviously if they voted it a low number you can tell what they thought of it, reviews are supposed to explain why they felt that way.

What's really annoying is that some people have started quoting other people's two-sentence reviews and add absolutely nothing to it (see: here ). They've contributed nothing to the thread at all, why bother posting?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1038028
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1044362

These threads are duplicates and need to be gassed. The Sunshine one is new but the American History X one has been around for a pretty long time and keeps picking up votes.

Aliks
Nov 20, 2003
efflorescent
rndm put in 5.5s for both Van Helsing and Matrix Revolutions, which seems a little fishy

Sensurround
Feb 6, 2003

quote:

Aliks came out of the closet to say:
rndm put in 5.5s for both Van Helsing and Matrix Revolutions, which seems a little fishy
dear god, an independent opinion!

Aliks
Nov 20, 2003
efflorescent
he didn't post his opinion in either, and although it is possible that he believes those to be the best movies ever made, ever, i can't imagine why, and an explaination would help me to imagine this

no, it seems more likely that he didn't like the 3s those movies had and maxed out the voting scale, which is called "vote spamming" is it not?

Aloha Alex
Apr 28, 2003
what the gently caress is this

"THEY LIKED A MOVIE I DIDN'T, THERE MUST BE SOME SORT OF CONSPIRACY!!!"

quote:

Sonance came out of the closet to say:
An extreme approach:

Honestly, even if you don't like the star review, then spend 30 seconds actually reading the reviews that people have written if you want to really know how they feel about the movie.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think Philman should have to post why he gave Citizen Kane a 0.5.

quote:

Batsurround came out of the closet to say:
dear god, an independent opinion!
Don't be an idiot. People shouldn't be giving out 5.5s very easily (THE best movie I ever saw) and I seriously, seriously doubt that it is just someone with an "independent opinion," just like the people that voted Battlefield Earth were also obviously just loving around. At the same time, though, it's hardly "vote spamming" and there's no way to prove it when it's just 1 or 2 votes. But good job copying Lowtax's reply almost word for word.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 25, 2004

Captain-Obvious
Aug 19, 2003

by Livestock
I'd like to know why the hell ransom18 dragged down the entire movie of this review by voting it a 0.5:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1071873

...without posting why. Especially considering it's an extremely rare film, with less than a thousand copies in circulation.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK
Well, one of your cons was that people might not "get it". He might not have "gotten it" or believed there was anything to get.

Shady Lane
Jul 21, 2002

Chilin ( <3 C-Mart )

quote:

I think Philman should have to post why he gave Citizen Kane a 0.5.
I think anyone should have to post why they give movies a 5.5 or a .5, it seems like sometimes you see those .5 votes in review threads but they don't offer any reason, or any post at all

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Shady Lane came out of the closet to say:

I think anyone should have to post why they give movies a 5.5 or a .5, it seems like sometimes you see those .5 votes in review threads but they don't offer any reason, or any post at all
People can vote whatever the hell they want, as long as it's not all .5s or 5.5s.

If they really thought a movie was deserving of a .5, they can vote it as such, even if it's a movie like 2001 or something that everyone likes. However, if this a trend that starts to develop, that's when they can be banned.

But I really have to urge you people, don't vote on a scale. If you thought a movie was average, and it's got 5 stars, DO NOT vote it a 1 just to bring down the rating. Please, that's not how this forum works.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? If I see someone voting a movie a .5 or 5.5 against the grain, so to speak, I may talk to them and give them a chance to explain why they thought the movie was so good or awful. If they can't, then consequences will follow.

This won't be happening to everyone, just whoever catches my eye. So just watch out. :ninja:

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 8, 2004

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Not to sass, but could you clarify what exactly this thread is supposed to be for? Of the 37 posts in it, it doesn't seem like there are any acceptable "spam reports," just people whining about other posters with differing opinions. (I don't see them that way, but that's been the response.) So what do you mean by "vote spamming," since any odd voting is merely supposed to be accepted as a contrary opinion? TheWalrus's post above mine is a good idea, I think, but I'm still not sure what this thread is for.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Is it ok to post a few images in a review like I did in my Shredder review?
I wasn't sure where to ask this, if there is a problem with it I'll edit the review and delete pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Slasherfan came out of the closet to say:
Is it ok to post a few images in a review like I did in my Shredder review?
I wasn't sure where to ask this, if there is a problem with it I'll edit the review and delete pics.

That's fine, but that's not what this thread is for. From now on, only reports of vote spamming, please.