Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

Directed by: Trey Parker
Starring: Trey Parker, Matt Stone

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2004/cannibal/cannibal.jpg

I love Cannibal! The Musical. There's an honest fun to it that few films have ever accomplished. While many first films by students flounder horribly, everything seems to click with this movie, which never ceases to dazzle my friends that I get the pleasure of showing it to for the first time. After borrowing the video of it just months ago, I promptly bought the DVD and have seen it no less than 25 times since. Cheesy gore, corny dialogue, and some of the most catchy songs ever recorded help make this a comedy classic for the ages.

Cannibal! The Musical uses the notorious pioneer era man-eater Alferd Packer as the unlikely subject matter for this irresistible musical. As roadsideamerica.com points out, while The Donner Party ate their dead to survive a harsh winter, Packer preferred a hot meal when times got tough.

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2004/cannibal/askingfor1.jpg

The opening scenes, feature an over the top depiction of the killings that sets the court trial in motion. Packer, played wonderfully by Trey Parker, insists that's not how it really happens, and tells his tale through the rest of the film via flashbacks. Packer recalls how he became an unwilling guide to a band of gold prospectors. Along the way he loses his horse (the best friend he ever had) that may have been stolen by hilariously evil trappers. Things just go downhill for the party there.

There's a great fun to Cannibal! that's rarely seen in movies. Trey made the film while attending the University of Colorado, and was ultimately kicked out as the project was leaving no time for school work. And with the film being the spark that helped him go on with his buddy Matt Stone to make South Park, that was a great thing for everyone.

The songs are amazingly funny and well produced. From Cannibal! to his immense (and Oscar nominated) work with the South Park franchise, Trey Parker is easily one of the most underrated songwriter's of our time.

From "That's All I'm Asking For" to "The Trapper Song" (which features brilliant lyrics like "The brain of an antelope, tastes like cantaloupe, what a yummy life!"), it's hard to not sing along. The Trappers are certainly the high point of the film, both menacing and ridiculous at the same time.

The DVD, while chock full of extra features for the die-hard fans, has what many people consider to be the funniest audio commentary ever made. Parker and Stone, along with much of the film's 1993 original cast, tell you right up front that they're just going to get drunk on whiskey and have a great time, resulting in some truly funny dialogue that doesn't fail to give great behind the scenes info. Here's some interesting tidbits divulged during their drunken descent in to madness.

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2004/cannibal/mattdrag.jpg

When the "Hang the Bastard" sequence begins, you can find Matt Stone in drag sitting on the porch.

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2004/cannibal/earlycast.jpg

The film's trailer, which was shot to secure funding for the film, features a poncho wearing Mexican character that's not used in the actual movie.

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2004/cannibal/trey.jpg

The green jacket Trey wears throughout the film was actually issued to his grandfather while he served in World War One.

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2004/cannibal/earlysnow.jpg

Another shot from the trailer shows that Swan was originally a mean guy, who ends up shooting the butcher after tiring of his "Snowman" song.

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2004/cannibal/girlfriend.jpg

Another shot from the trailer shows that Swan was originally a mean guy, who ends up shooting the butcher after tiring of his "Snowman" song.

Alfred's horse was named "Liane" as a dig to Trey's ex-fiancé Liane who called off their marriage a month before the magic date. Line's like "everyone in town has ridden your horse" are digs at her. Cartman's slutty mom in South Park is also named Liane. In a strange bit of irony, the real Liane (pictured above, front center) was used to choreograph the final dance number, oblivious to the reference.

The DVD also has some bizarre tidbits like scenes from a laughably awful stage version of the film, the original trailer which features cast and character appearance differences, and more.

I totally recommend this film for a good laugh, you can't go wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003
This movie is pure genius on every level. The "indians", the songs every wierd little thing that happens, brings this movie together.

The squeamish may wish to avoid the first scene, and the only real female character is not that great. But, everything else makes up for it 10x over.

Castor
Nov 5, 2003
Loving me some fat bitches since 1996
I found this movie to be pretty funny. Well done for having such a low budget, the quality never dips low enough to destract. Some jokes are hit or miss and I felt a few of the laughs were inside jokes that I wasn't privy to. But as a hole this movie was good for some laughs and quotes to bring up later with your friends.

4/5

down beat
Jul 11, 2002
Very funny. As said above, good quality for a independent college movie. The songs are great. The DVD features the best commentary known to man.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
One of the few movies I can watch over and over and still find hilarious. I can't wait until these guys do another movie.

Pizzaface
Apr 2, 2004

by Lowtax
One of my absolute favorite troma movies, and from someone who owns about 30+ troma movies thats a pretty good thing i guess :confused:

Angry Communist
Oct 11, 2003

I'm about to break!
The trailer for this movie (Put on the Toxic Avenger DVD) is hysterical -- Instead of actually editing the footage they had, they made entirely non-sensical and original footage for it, putting the 'original' cast into WAAACCKKY situations. For example, all of the party members are replaced by stereotypical Mexican immigrants.

Be sure to check it out if you're into Troma.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I was going to give it a 3, because it is very funny, but tends to be rather patchy in terms of laugh at loud moments (much like Orgazmo) ... but the DVD contains such a fantastic drunk commentary that I had to bump its score up to 4.

If you're a fan of Matt and Trey or South Park or Orgazmo you'll love it, but then again, you've probably already seen it.

branderson
Jan 21, 2004
This is a really funny, really low-budget flick that is living testament to the fact that you don't need millions of dollars to make a good movie. It's got the prototypical South Park-style humor and music, a nd a ton of great one-liners. The scene with the Asian Indians is priceless.

I loved it, and the extras on the DVD make it even better.

"Fudge, Packer?"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah, this is definitely one of my all-time favorite movies. Shpadoinkle indeed!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely one of the greatest musicals of all time. This movie was so funny it made everything else I saw the day I watched it boring and lovely.

Watch out for the Cyclops.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Definitely one of my favorite movies. So so great. I didn't find it especially funny the first time, but then I kept on watching it, and the more I watched it, the funnier it was. Then I watched it with commentary, and it was completely and utterly pure goodness.

Ape Drape
Apr 24, 2003

My favorite characters in this movie are the Trappers. When they sing their song and the lead trapper says: "I can break right through a wall," then he indeed breaks right through that little wall. loving. Awesome.

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.
Cowbell solo!

I haven't watched a movie this funny and entertaining in a really long time. Definitely a 5.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
I just saw this a few weeks ago, I've had "Schpedoinkal" stuck in my head constantly since then. The "Making Of" section of https://www.cannibalthemusical.net is hilarious as well, especially since it details how Trey and Matt came up with the character of Chef for South Park.

Pros: Original score, campy styling that works
Cons: The trappers

5/5

meet girls at the store fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siberian Kiss
Oct 4, 2002

The danger on the rocks is surely past
What a great movie, the songs will get stuck in your head for weeks. I love Matt Stone as "Humphrey" b/c pretty much all his lines are awesome..."Nice Hat." Even though South Park, Team America, and Orgazmo had good, even great songs, this movie tops them all. The bloody scenes are hilarious. The only thing that bothered me was Trey Parker's glassy look throughout the last part of the movie...it was kinda weird.

"Well which part DO you want then?"
"...well NOT BUTT"

5.5/5
(I've watched this more times than I shourl be allowed to and it gets better each time)