Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Very consistantly funny movie until it turned into a bad Police Academy movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgack
Jun 7, 2002

rambo
Some funny moments but being a dumb movie fan I have to say overall it was lacking. You either go for all out stupid or you can try and follow a legit storyline with some laughs and they did neither.

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )
I agree with Lowtax, while I love the movie, the plot just got in the way of the funny.

4.5/5

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This is a very funny movie that gets better with repeat viewings. A lot of the humor value comes from the utterly unexpected nature of many of the jokes. The characters act in a way that is so absurd that it almost comes off as being realistic. An earlier poster was right when they referred to it as being similar to the behavior of a bunch of high school buddies. Actually, that's a great description for this movie. Imagine you and your best friends from high school were all working together in a highway patrol station. Now imagine that you got about 10 times funnier. That's Super Troopers, right there.

Just like your high school buddies, this movie has some problems. There are a few lags between good jokes, especially in areas where they focus on the main plot. Some parts of the plot don't even make much sense and a few of the jokes fall flat Why did he have such a giant cotton candy?. Still, this doesn't really detract from the movie.

I give this 4/5.

toolboi
Jul 24, 2002

The begining is really great. Really REALLY great. However the movie slowly degrades, becoming a rather mediocre comedy.

The begining, however, is absolute brilliance.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
The plot, especially at the end, is a bit bonkers. However, the sheer volume of comedy in this movie is a tidal wave. Furthermore, the quotability factor of the movie ends up amplifying the whole experience. It's hard to explain, but Super Troopers improves upon each re-viewing.

4.5/5

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Super Troopers, The Big Lebowski, and This is Spinal Tap are my top 3 comedies of all time.

5.5/5

zantar
Jul 30, 2002
If you are looking for a movie for a bunch of guys to watch, rent this.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
I have seen it twice and did not laugh out loud once. One of the least funny comedies I have ever seen.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Are you feeling all right Mac?

GOOD ENOUGH TO gently caress YOUR MOTHER

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Super Troopers has some of the most hilarious moments ever put to film, but it really does go downhill once they get their minds set on producing a plot. I'm honestly tired of seeing comedies that could have been complete laugh fests that end up being ruined because they try to tack on some lovely plot/love story and spend far too much time focusing on it.

Still, when it's actually being funny, it's absolutely hilarious. Even once it gets into the plot (which is so dumb and boring that it's not even worth mentioning) there's still some laughs sprinkled here and there. It just stops it from being a 5 or 5.5 for me.

There's a few missed jokes (I cringe when the pig-in-the-trailer scene is coming up every time I watch it) that are just painfully unfunny.

I'm probably making it sound like I really dislike it, but everything positive about the movie has already been said.

It's still a 4.5, but unfortunately Broken Lizard didn't really learn from Super Troopers and Club Dread is filled with even more plot and less jokes. My favorite comedies are completely off the wall and spend as little time as possible providing motivation for the characters. Comedy writers write lovely, contrived love stories and can rarely produce a plot that doesn't involve some sort of time constriction ("Our group of wacky characters has to get X-item to X-location before X-person arrives!") and any scene in ST that isn't focused around a joke is boring.

4.5, almost a 5.

Halo_BLEW
Jul 11, 2000

by Lowtax
After sitting through this to appease my friends demands, I can't say I found the movie very funny at all. The humor just didn't appeal to me, it felt like I was watching jokes die on the screen.

1/5

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

This movie probably one of my favorite comedy movies of all time. It's funny all the way through.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Canada, huh?
.....Almost made it

5/5 stars

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

quote:

toolboi came out of the closet to say:
The begining is really great. Really REALLY great. However the movie slowly degrades, becoming a rather mediocre comedy.

The begining, however, is absolute brilliance.

Concur, but I'd rate it a 3.

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
I think the reason i liked this movie so much was that i watched it in the theatre not knowing what to expect at all...... i must say i was quite pleasantly surprised and pleased that i had discovered a future cult classic. I mean how can you go wrong with:

"The snozzberries taste like snozzberries"

or my personal favorite

"Bear fucker....... do you need... assistance?"

boji
Sep 6, 2003
Monkey hate clean.
Do you wanna play repeater?
It is time to stop now, Mac.
It is? Time to stop now, Mac.

Ska'd For Life
Mar 9, 2004
Nate sucks at TEEvee
It is the funniest 5 minutes of any movie ever. The rest of the movie is pretty good, but the begenning is definately the best.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I'll have to agree, this is one of my farva-rite movies of all time.

Yes. I went there.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

TheJetCityFix posted:

I'll have to agree, this is one of my farva-rite movies of all time.

Yes. I went there.

Meow that was just uncalled for.

I'd have to agree with most of the above. Even though the film falls flat in some areas, it has such a awesome sense of humour that it isn't really noticed at all. The real strength in this film is the dialogue. It could just be two hours of them mulling around the police station, and it would still be a great film, because the characters and their interactions between each other are so beautifully done. I think the best analogy comes from the person who said it's like being with your high school buddies all over again. They have their own little warped sense of humour and little world that you can't help but love, which results in hundreds of immensely quoteable lines.

... So that was the second time I got crabs.

5/5

Iroqouiz
Dec 13, 2004

Do you have any problems about picking up shit?
I have to say, this is one of my all time favorite comedies. The funniest bits are when Ramathorn does the CSI gag ("Enhance... enhance... enhance") and when they all say shenanigans too much ("I swear to Christ I'll pistol whip the next guy that says 'shenanigans').

Oh, boy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It is shame that the high point of this movie was in the opening scene with the potheads. Overall a funny movie that starts to lose its ground once it tries to develop a story. I do not believe people would compare this movie with classics like Spinal Tap. But that said after the first time I watched this movie I might of would of given it a 3.5, but after a painful second viewing (the opening scene still holds up) I would say a 3.0 or even a 2.5. I also had hope that the Broken Lizard people would end up making better movies, but as we all know (the Dukes of Hazard?) they have failed.

How overrated is this movie? I must confess I found the corny Girl Next Door and the one joke White Castle movie to be funnier than Super Troopers.

So a 2.5 it is.

But if you are high and never seen this before I would say a 3.0

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 17, 2005