Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries
Directed by: John Dahl
Starring: Matt Damon, Ed Norton, Gretchen Mol

This movie pretty much started the current obsession of American culture with poker.

The relationship part of the movie is ok, but really it's just a set-up for when Mike (Matt Damon) goes back to playing poker.

Mike McDermott starts this movie as a current law school student and ex-rounder (professional poker player.) He was pretty small time to start out, but one night was inspired (we later find out why) and decided to play for all his marbles. He lost the hand, his money and his confidence and decided to give up on poker and make an honest living. This all changes when he friend Worm (Ed Norton) is released from jail and slowly draws him back into the game.

This movie shows the glamour and high points of the poker lifestyle but it also shows the cost and the low points. It took a couple of years but this movie set the wheel in motion and is to blame for the fact that you can't turn on TV without seeing poker somewhere. As one who has gotten caught up in the game, that fact just makes this movie all the better.

John Turturro and Jon Malkovich are each especially excellent in their parts in this movie.

The relationship parts almost cost this movie a point or two, but it earned them back for creating the current poker phenomenon. Chris Moneymaker, who won last year's World Series of Poker even credits the movie with getting him started. One of the best players in the world Johnny Chan (who was knocked out of WSOP by Moneymaker) makes a memorable cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Abe
Feb 29, 2004

How are you? You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive.
I was pretty impressed with this movie. It had its problems, and reminded me a bit too much of the superior film "The Hustler," but it was otherwise very entertaining. Good actors, well written, with a satisfying ending to be sure. Very worthwile viewing. I'd give it a 3.5 if I could, but since I can't, I'll just leave it at a 3.

Aeon_
Jan 6, 2002

See you, space cowboy.
I saw it, and I enjoy poker and all, but it was way overrated. I was expecting much more from the film that inspired so many pro players. A three.

Demmy
May 20, 2001

Dutchman & McNutty:
Putting bitches (and stray cats) in their place since '02
I for some reason put off watching this movie for years and just recently saw it a couple of months ago. I enjoyed it a lot, especially Malkovich's crazy Russian Oreo-eating character. However, the whole romance angle in the movie seemed a little forced, as it was just an excuse for Damon to get into poker again, but overall it was pretty enjoyable.

4/5

phenomenous
Mar 5, 2004
For a movie about poker, they sure dont show very many hands. They do however, throw in references and lingo left and right. If you don't know your poker lingo (mechanics grip, high society, hearing snaps, catching hangers, etc.) you can get a bit lost. The ending was a bit of a bore considering the emotional reaction from the beginning of the movie.

4/5 if you are a poker player
3/5 if you just want to see a movie

Mr. Vandemar
Feb 4, 2004
Croup and Vandemar, the Old Firm, obstacles obliterated, nuisances eradicated, bothersome limbs removed and tutelary dentistry undertaken.
Pretty good movie, Damon plays a very likable guy. Norton plays a very hatable guy.

4/5

STFU DONNY
Apr 8, 2004

I'M RIDIN' SPINNAZ! THEY DON'T STOP!
I enjoyed this movie a lot. All the actors did a very good job.

4/5

sexgeny
Sep 19, 2003

This movie had an interesting, if none too original, plot and some likeable and hateable characters. Matt Damon is pretty good at playing the "I am more talented and special than you" characters and does a good job in this movie. My only real sticking point with Rounders is John Malkovich's Russian accent. I mean, it sounds like he took his French accent from "Man in the Iron Mask" and just changed around the way he does some of the vowels. Truly, truly terrible, although his eccentric KGB character definitely adds to the movie in a big way. Ed Norton is very good as the "troublesome friend" character. I don't think I hvae seen a performance by him that I didn't like.

Overall: This movie has interesting characters and a decent plot, and it is responsible for the mainstream popularity that poker is enjoying nowadays.

4/5

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
If you want to consider this from the perspective of a "sports" movie, this is one of the best sports movies of the last 10 years. Four excellent actors play the leads, with Damon, Norton, Malkovich, and Turturro, and the "game" scenes are fantastic. There aren't many in-game scenes, but the way that the shots of poker scenes are handled is perfect: plenty of drama in every hand, from the moment Mike deals with his first bad beat, to his successful revenge hand. The romance is weak, and the character of his girlfriend totally kills the pacing of the movie on numerous occasions, especially at the end. Overall, it's a fun movie to watch, with a plot worth following, and actors who can handle the nuances in the characters, or, in some cases, the lack thereof. 4/5

Matteo44
May 18, 2004
I saw this movie before poker became the huge culture trend it is today, and loved it.

This is a movie that I could watch everyday and not get bored with it. The cast is excellent and the acting is even better. I don't think there's one thing I can really say bad about this movie except that there isn't a sequal yet.

Don't expect this movie to teach you how to play poker. That wasn't the reason it was made and just because poker is popular now doesn't mean the director made the film with the intention on pleasing all the newbie poker players.

5/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
To me, as someone who's studied poker a ton and plays a lot, the movie just had too much namedropping for the sake of sounding "in" for my tastes. I don't know, there was just something unappealing about its excessive use of poker terms and it just seemed...poseur-ish.

Good movie though overall.

4/5.5