Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK
Hey folks, what do you think of the Film Dump? I'd love to hear any and all input you have on this new forum. Is the review format nice? Are people leaving out key aspects of a film in their reviews? I'm pretty open to any new suggestions, so have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries
From the Mod thread, because it really belongs here.

I think it would pretty neat if the thread starter had a box similar to the director/star box where they could put a link to the movie's IMDB page.

Also - perhaps there could be a filter to only see one type of movie?

Like adventure or comedy or drama instead of all of the movies mixed together. That would be pretty neat.

The forum is great so far though.

Squinky
Mar 16, 2004

by elpintogrande
Perhaps a FYAD style dropdown box allowing for half star ratings? Might make the system a bit more prescise.

Edit: I am glad that my idea is currently in effect. :cool:

Squinky fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 6, 2004

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK

quote:

Quick Stop came out of the closet to say:
From the Mod thread, because it really belongs here.

I think it would pretty neat if the thread starter had a box similar to the director/star box where they could put a link to the movie's IMDB page.

Like adventure or comedy or drama instead of all of the movies mixed together. That would be pretty neat.

The forum is great so far though.

The IMDB and a filter per movie are both great ideas. I don't have any control over the code running this forum, so that would be more of an admin task.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It would be nice to be able to see all the votes a certain user made, so if someone shares your point of view you can see what other movies they liked.

I said this in the other thread, but if a movie is averaging a 4 or a 5 in voting and you're going to vote it a 1, you really should have to give an explanation of why. And people need to make sure not to vote things a 1 just to pull down the score overall, ie, "This movie should be a 3, but it's a 5, so I'll vote it a 1."

Spiceman Spliff
Nov 18, 2002

It'd be nice to be able to sort by ratings again. I like how the ratings are on the left side, but since the post button takes the place of the rating header now, sorting by ratings is impossible.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

quote:

Blackrogue came out of the closet to say:
It'd be nice to be able to sort by ratings again. I like how the ratings are on the left side, but since the post button takes the place of the rating header now, sorting by ratings is impossible.
No, it isn't, just click one of the ratings and it sorts by them.

Spiceman Spliff
Nov 18, 2002

quote:

Fast Luck came out of the closet to say:

I just figured that out before you posted. I feel retarded. :(

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I like the idea of a dropdown menu that included half-ratings (2.5, 4.5, etc).

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

quote:

Fast Luck came out of the closet to say:

I'd like it if movies with less than 10 votes get rated at the bottom. Right now several top spots are all movies that only a couple of people have voted on.

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries

quote:

mangler103 came out of the closet to say:

I'd like it if movies with less than 10 votes get rated at the bottom. Right now several top spots are all movies that only a couple of people have voted on.

Or maybe some sort of weighted average system like IMDB uses.

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
I'd like to see a more accurate rating system... one with half ratings perhaps. The ability to sort by stars and by directors perhaps (although IMDB does that already so nix that idea). Sorting by genre is kind of important though.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'd really like to sort by the country a film comes from. I'm really digging all the smaller foreign films people are reporting on... so the option to tell what country it comes from would help me sort out what movies I'd like to see.

OH yeah, and if the thread gets too many votes you cant see who voted what any more... it just flickers (at least in IE). COuld there be a better way of executing that idea? Maybe a way we can see what specific goons voted all across the board, to follow voting history if you happen to like their taste.

]-[ate_Sandwich fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 3, 2004

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Aunt Jemima - Goddess of Love

quote:

admiraldennis came out of the closet to say:
I like the idea of a dropdown menu that included half-ratings (2.5, 4.5, etc).

Good Idea, I think.

I think this whole forum is a great idea.

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

quote:

Quick Stop came out of the closet to say:

Personally (though I know it's a lot of work) I'd like to see this implemented with different thread tags for each genre. That'd clean up the subject lines, plus the thread filtering code is already (relatively) done.

Also, I feel stupid for suggesting, since it's probably been mentioned before, but doing something similar to this for games (and maybe books, but I don't know how many people would contribute to something like that) would be awesome too.

edit: one small unimportant cosmetic thing: centering threadview numbers and reply numbers in their cells would make it look like the rest of the forums :)

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Is there any way to make a "Movie Name Checker" like the URL Checker?

When there's a new release, it would probably be common to get 5 similar posts simultaneously. Plus, it will help us populate the list right now, without having multiple posts of the same movie.

zerizon
Apr 22, 2002
I like the idea of showing who voted, but the mouseover system isn't too ideal. This would work better if there was an expandable table (like the filter table in GBS).

Also since this forum will no doubt become heavily searched, a topic seach box at the top of the forum would be fantastic.

I'm also a fan of the half point rating system if possible.

Edit: Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This way you can search names with ease, long lists of names don't get broken, and it doesn't take up a lot of page space.

http://www.zerizon.com/SA/ratinglayout1.gif

http://www.zerizon.com/SA/ratinglayout2.gif

zerizon fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 3, 2004

Crazy Newbie
Dec 11, 2002
How about a list of movies we'd want to see reviewed?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Maybe instead of using the current coloured bars thread vote images, replace it with a star based set of images. It could even be setup to do half stars if the .5 ratings are added.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK

quote:

Frank Zappa came out of the closet to say:
Is there any way to make a "Movie Name Checker" like the URL Checker?

When there's a new release, it would probably be common to get 5 similar posts simultaneously. Plus, it will help us populate the list right now, without having multiple posts of the same movie.

If people use IMDB links, that might come up in the URL checker.

quote:

Crazy Newbie came out of the closet to say:
How about a list of movies we'd want to see reviewed?

I like it, I'll mention it to the other mods and get their opinion.

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think stickying new movies every first weekend of release might be useful, though perhaps a bit of a hassle for mods.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A subforum might be nice, "Review Requests" or something. I'll ask Isnoop about it maybe.

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

RabidLeper came out of the closet to say:

If people use IMDB links, that might come up in the URL checker.

Yeah, I was thinking that, but that doesn't necessarily work.

In fact, when posting Casablanca, I was told that the link had been used before (Sometime in feburary). People could have used the link in a different forum for someone else, so you never know. For the most part, that should work, but it doesn't.

Also, is there any way to sort by rating?

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

quote:

Frank Zappa came out of the closet to say:

Also, is there any way to sort by rating?
Yes there is, just click on any film's rating on the main page.

I'de like to see a better system for seeing who rated what on a thread. Holding the mouse over a thread's rating is just way too inconvienient when you're going to be sifting through massive amounts of entries and trying to weed out vote spammers.

I guess this could be done by creating a small .txt file that gets uploaded to whenever someone votes, but that probably isn't very efficient/too much effort to do.

think tank

Aquasol
Jun 23, 2003

Destroy all dreamers w/ debt + depression...
For those complaining about the title text being too long, have you tried right-clicking and then viewing Properties? With Firefox, at least (haven't tried in IE), you can select text the title text field in the Properties window, which means you can drag it along as fast or slow as you want to read.

I also like the idea of searching a poster by how they rate movies. It would also make it easier to tell when someone is just vote spamming.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I think this is a great idea for a forum, but I'm wondering why the placement is here instead of a GBS sub-forum. TV IV is in GBS because that's where all the TV show discussion came from, so why not the movie review forum?

Shady Lane
Jul 21, 2002

Chilin ( <3 C-Mart )

quote:

LonelyKing came out of the closet to say:
I think stickying new movies every first weekend of release might be useful, though perhaps a bit of a hassle for mods.
It's not terribly hard, lots of sites like yahoo movies have a coming this weekend/month section.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

quote:

Bonk came out of the closet to say:
I think this is a great idea for a forum, but I'm wondering why the placement is here instead of a GBS sub-forum. TV IV is in GBS because that's where all the TV show discussion came from, so why not the movie review forum?
Elsewhere there was talk that The Film Dump might be made public in future so I guess it would be more accessible here.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
I think that all reviews should be more than one sentence. Reading "this movie sucks" or "best movie ever" really doesn't help at all. If you are going to post a review, I think it should be well thought out, with reasons given to support your opinion.

esky
Apr 15, 2003
I'd like to see the actual averages somewhere along with the goldbar, or in place of it when browsing the topics

Mr VacBob
Aug 27, 2003
Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea
I don't think "Animation" is a good film category. An animated film can be just as weird or serious or comedic as a live-action film.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So is movie discussion allowed in these threads, or are the specifically for review purposes?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I think this forum is a great idea and well implemented. No suggestions here.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

President of the Republic of Louisiana, 1808-1816
Perhaps not the exact place to suggest it, but...
A similar sub-forum for books would be fantastic, set up pretty much the same way.

Loving the Dump so far.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
could images be allowed? i'd like to post movie posters/fliers in the threads i start (from my own hosting of course)

AlbertHerring
Oct 10, 2003

king of the may more like governor of virginia
Would it be possible to add a "date" feature, like "director" and "starring"? I'm more of an old-movie buff, and I find that a number of the films that I would review have been remade fairly recently. Perhaps a "date" button would help eliminate confusion?

Just a thought - apart from that one little thing, I like this new forum very much.

zoomzip
Aug 31, 2001
uprock
for foreign movies, i think putting the non-english title of a movie alongside it's english title in a thread title is a little silly.

the vast majority of people will know a movie by it's english title, so the non-english becomes a little odd and redundant.

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe

quote:

]-[ate_Sandwich came out of the closet to say:
Sorting by genre is kind of important though.
I think it would be nice to have a separate column for genre instead of appending it to the film name in the title of the thread. This would allow it to be sortable and all that and also make it slightly more aesthetically pleasing when searching for a specific genre.

batkiwi
Oct 23, 2000
HappyChinchilla!
I'd support only being able to rate if you post to the thread.

JodoKaast
Apr 18, 2001

An All-in-One and One-in-All of limitless being and self

quote:

GigaPeon came out of the closet to say:
So is movie discussion allowed in these threads, or are the specifically for review purposes?
Reviews only. Discussion can be kept in GBS, I believe.

quote:

batkiwi came out of the closet to say:
I'd support only being able to rate if you post to the thread.
I think this is a terrible idea (no offense). Some people just don't have much to say about a movie other than rating it. And it would be a lot better than clogging up threads with useless posts like "movie was good" or "hated it, never see it if you value your eyeballs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
Also, doing a forum search in TFD still returns every post with the "poo poo Post" tag. Might want to see about fixing that for posterity.