Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I don't understand the colors of the stars. 'half bars', or smaller and gold => brown stars would make more sense, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

quote:

Hey folks, what do you think of the Film Dump? I'd love to hear any and all input you have on this new forum. Is the review format nice? Are people leaving out key aspects of a film in their reviews? I'm pretty open to any new suggestions, so have fun.
Can we mention commentary tracks, deleted scenes, extras (for example the Girlfriend and Family-Rated Versions of Cabin Fever) and maybe even packaging?
With some movies, like American Pie, Resident Evil and A Boy and His Dog, the commentary track is often more entertaining than the film's dialog.

Beyond "is the movie worth seeing?" comes the question of whether it's worth buying and/or what's worth checking out if you rent the DVD.

What about some sort of follow-up? If this forum is to help people select movies to watch:
"Was this thread (were these ratings) helpful to you?"
I can't imagine there are still people who haven't seen The Usual Suspects or Fight Club, but there are maybe threads that help someone decide to see a movie.
So, it might be interesting or helpful, to see if The Film Dump is actually serving its stated purpose.

quote:

]-[ate_Sandwich came out of the closet to say:
Discussions go in GBS. Why is this hard to understand?
But this was the discussion thread for discussing the forum.

That was no fun at all, so I'll, um...shut up.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 6, 2004

COMPUTER SECRETS
Oct 6, 2003

Pig Sooie

quote:

The Cookie Bird came out of the closet to say:
This is kind of nitpicking...
I really like the stars instead of the gold bars, but the color scheme is really weird. It doesn't seem to go in any pattern or really make sense. I dunno, it just kind of bothered me, and it seems weird. Ignore me if you want.

The thing that I think is weird is that brown is the color for like three stars, while green is used for really low rating. Green is a much friendlier color then brown. They should be reversed.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
We could sit here and argue about colors all day, but I really don't feel like it because I don't give a poo poo. The only reason I added the colors is so it would be easier to tell the ratings apart. I don't care what colors you think they should be or how you feel the priority of color importance ranks, because each person will interpret that differently and we'd never be able to come to consensus.

The entire point of the colored stars is to distinguish them. If you see different colors, then mission accomplished.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Are you supposed to be able to sort the vote column so that the films with the largest number of votes appear first (or last) because if so I don't think its working.

Sensurround
Feb 6, 2003

I like this forum a lot, very cool stuff. good work everyone :)

HPopper 2.0
Jul 14, 2001

Well, good forum anyway.

Arm Unit 700
Sep 13, 2003

buh?
I disagree on this out of 10 malarky, 5 is just right. A score of 10 is more for comparing a movie to other ones, rather than actually rating the movie. I mean, could you honestly watch 2 movies in a row and say, "well the first one was a 7 movie, but the second one was a distinct 8". Tosh says I, TOSH.

Plus, good forum, yay.

Edit~ I'd also like to see the PRO/CON fields done away with, as this is the equivalent of tl;dr, if you don't want to read the review, why are you here?

Arm Unit 700 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 4, 2004

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

anyone else having problems with the mouseover? it either flickers (if the list is long) or goes away afte 2 seconds.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

quote:

Zogo came out of the closet to say:
anyone else having problems with the mouseover? it either flickers (if the list is long) or goes away afte 2 seconds.

Sounds like a browser issue on your end.

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
Also, why is there a film noir genre... what other kind of genre would it be?

Music-noir?

That's a pretty petty request :)

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

i also have this problem. I noticed it on the Kill Bill thread, using IE.

JodoKaast
Apr 18, 2001

An All-in-One and One-in-All of limitless being and self

quote:

Also, why is there a film noir genre... what other kind of genre would it be?

Music-noir?

That's a pretty petty request :)
That's actually the real name of the genre.

DSettahr
Apr 12, 2004

quote:

I have this problem too. It seems to happen when the list of votes gets really, really long so that it extends beyond the top and bottom of your monitor screen.

Powerglove
Aug 4, 2003

I like this forum a lot and would like to thank all those involved for the hard work.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
The 'additional info' field just plain doesn't work right now.

Bodybuilding Virgin 420
Aug 29, 2000

f

Bodybuilding Virgin 420 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 7, 2014

Aberration
Sep 11, 2001
^^^ Could this be a result of declaring integers as opposed to floating units?

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000

quote:

JodoKaast came out of the closet to say:
That's actually the real name of the genre.

oh yeah, where'd you get this? I dont think there can really be authority here.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK
I've been slowly adding new things to isnoop's rules list. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to get more done around here, but school is killing me. When I start summer break, I'll be putting a lot of work into the place.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

quote:

Also, why is there a film noir genre... what other kind of genre would it be? Music-noir?That's a pretty petty request :)

quote:

oh yeah, where'd you get this? I dont think there can really be authority here.
Took me a second to figure out if you're serious joking or trolling, but now fix for clarity that it's obvious that you're joking...

What's the deal with cinema verite? What other kind of verite would it be.
"film noir" is the name of the genre. Not "noir".

\/ \/ Sort/filter by genre might be a value-added option later, once the database is big enough to warrant it; who knows.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 12, 2004

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Edit: nevermind .. might want to take the 'discussion' out of the posting rules. I was hoping for a full-on movie discussion board because there is more than a enough traffic for one in itself (honest suggestion).

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 7, 2004

Aberration
Sep 11, 2001
I didn't see this mentioned already, but perhaps a way to filter posts by genre?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

quote:

Aberration came out of the closet to say:
I didn't see this mentioned already, but perhaps a way to filter posts by genre?
While maybe not 100% for all genres, it's pretty darn close:
Search the Forums
Put the specific genre in both
"Search for items including these words" and "Search for exact phrase"

And of course specify The Film Dump.

Just tried it with drama and comedy, works well, and sorts by date of posting

if you don't already have platinum account, consider that the upgrade is about the cost of a bag of popcorn and a soda

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 12, 2004

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I strongly agree with whoever said that if you rate a movie a 5.5 you have to explain why. The reviews on the Van Helsing movie all paint it as a terrible to mediocre movie, yet three or four users have given it a 5.5, equivalent to saying it's their favorite movie in existence. I'd complain in the thread that this rule isn't being enforced, but I'd like to save NMN the time to edit my non-review post.

Edit - Also, I think it would be useful to have a feature to see all the ratings a user gave. Some people I really agree with and I'd like to see what other movies they liked or hated. It would also make it easier to recognize people who are giving 0.5s or 5.5s to every movie.

Knight fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 8, 2004

Bob Pelvis
Jul 11, 2003
HAMSTER
HAMSTER
HAMSTER
HAMSTER
HAMSTER

P.S. IF I DON'T PAYPAL YOU $10, FEEL FREE TO POUR MOLTEN LEAD DOWN MY ANUS
I really like this forum. I'm sure it would be a bitch to implement but it would be nice to have the ability to search the movies by date they were released. Or perhaps a stickied section for new releases which automatically stay stuck for a week or so. Maybe it's just me, but I think this forum is most useful for seeing what's worth watching at the cinema.

Also, while not really on topic, this forum format would also transfer well to games/book reviews. Perhaps in the future a new section of the forums could be allocated to reviews, a la "files".

MrPazzah
Oct 23, 2003

I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel.
Wundervoll!

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

It'd be nice to be able to search or sort by genre.

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini

quote:

liquorhead came out of the closet to say:
It'd be nice to be able to search or sort by genre.

Perhaps doing advanced searches could be a platinum-only feature?
When there are a lot of reviews, it would be nice to sort Action movies by rating, etc.

Also, are reviews pruned like normal threads? They shouldn't be.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Another feature or option might be for some way to find out all of someone's votes.

quote:

Personal Jesus came out of the closet to say:
How can this forum work if you basically aren't allowed to acknowledge anyone elses posts about the same movie. This is still a forum
Yeah, as long as it doesn't become like that movie forum with the lovely colour scheme, you'd think we could have some flame-free, non-insulting discussion about the reviews and criticisms.

The easiest thing is to simply ignore the other posts, and just put down what you selected as a rating for the movie.
Other than the thread starter, there's really no point in typing out more than two or three short sentences.

What about requests, is a thread allowed. For example: Is there anyone who has seen and is
willing to write up Divine Intervention? The trailer is provocative and fun, the clips on the official website are great.
and

\/ yes, thanks Lowtax and NMN for this forum.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 10, 2004

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

This forum's great. Thanks Lowtax.

Personally I'd like to see a [platinum only?] search field at the top of the page that only searched through this subforum.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1040604

The votes on this thread are not being averaged correctly. Right now it has a 2.5 vote and 4 0.5 votes, which should average out to 0.9, but the rating is 0.4, which shouldn't even be possible since the lowest possible vote is 0.5. It seems almost like the votes are being typecast into integers during the averaging.

...! fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 10, 2004

sp0rsk
Jan 29, 2003

This is my life inside a house made out of balloon doggies
How about stickys for every movie that came out during the current week? Alot of old movies get reviewed and sometimes the new stuff gets shoved off to the second page pretty quickly.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

quote:

Knight came out of the closet to say:
Edit - Also, I think it would be useful to have a feature to see all the ratings a user gave. Some people I really agree with and I'd like to see what other movies they liked or hated. It would also make it easier to recognize people who are giving 0.5s or 5.5s to every movie.
I mentioned this earlier and I'm glad someone else agrees. Since the votes and voter names are recorded in every thread, I think it might be possible.

Also, like the poster above said (and it's not just the thread he's pointing out, it's true in general), the 1/2 votes don't average correctly. Start a new thread, rate it a 4.5, and it has a 4.0 average. Votes with a 1/2 on them always count as an integer instead.

Regardless though, I love this forum. It's a great addition.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

It would be cool if listing by rating ranked them secondarily by number of votes, though I appreciate this is probably hard to do.

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000

quote:

Binary Logic came out of the closet to say:

Stuff about Genres.

You're not following me at all. In fact you've contradicted yourself. For example, there is a reason that Drama isn't called Film Drama, and comedy not called Film Comedy, hense why do we call Noir "Film Noir." It simply makes no sense on a movie review board because it's redundant.

But it's nice to be accused of trolling. That's pretty classy.

PermabannedSamadhi
May 12, 2001

Would it be OK to post TV Series here for review? For example, post a review of Stargate SG1 or 24 and rate it as you would a movie, albeit a very long, continuous movie?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

quote:

You're not following me at all. In fact you've contradicted yourself. For example, there is a reason that Drama isn't called Film Drama, and comedy not called Film Comedy, hense why do we call Noir "Film Noir." It simply makes no sense on a movie review board because it's redundant.

But it's nice to be accused of trolling. That's pretty classy.

http://www.filmsite.org/filmnoir.html

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK

quote:

Samadhi came out of the closet to say:
Would it be OK to post TV Series here for review? For example, post a review of Stargate SG1 or 24 and rate it as you would a movie, albeit a very long, continuous movie?

I think this forum is for movies only. Frankly, I'm not sure exactly what is going on because the forum is new and things might change, but for the time being movies only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

quote:

RabidLeper came out of the closet to say:
I think this forum is for movies only. Frankly, I'm not sure exactly what is going on because the forum is new and things might change, but for the time being movies only.
I agree that this forum should stick to movie reviews only because full length TV series tend to vary in quality season to season and especially episode to episode. However I would say mini-series are okay as they are often filmed in one block so the quality is generally uniform across the installments.

Anyway while I'm here I'd like to thank isnoop, RabidLeper, NMN and everyone else involved in this forum which makes a very nice distraction from doing assignments.