Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Farkio`
Jan 23, 2003

by Lowtax
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I don't really get the point of having the ratings go up to 5.5 It seems like it would make more sense to have a 0 - 5 scale instead of 0.5 - 5.5.
Related to this, it can be confusing when everyone posts and say they give whatever movie a 3/5, when the scale used in this forum is out of 5.5

edit: i just saw one film that had a 0.35 rating, so this voting system is really confusing me. is 0.5 actually a 0?

Dr. Farkio` fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 12, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

quote:

]-[ate_Sandwich came out of the closet to say:

You're not following me at all. In fact you've contradicted yourself. For example, there is a reason that Drama isn't called Film Drama, and comedy not called Film Comedy, hense why do we call Noir "Film Noir." It simply makes no sense on a movie review board because it's redundant.

But it's nice to be accused of trolling. That's pretty classy.
Because "Film Noir" is and always has been the name of the genre. Just "Noir" is NOT the name of the genre. :rolleyes:

The only problem with the genre menu is the "Independent" choice, that's not a genre, it's a production classification.

AlterEgo
Jul 17, 2001

Keep it brief citizen. There's crime to fight!
Not that it hasn't been mentioned before, but here's another request for a 'Genre' field on the forum page. I think it'd be a lot nicer for people (including me) to be able to sort threads by genre so that we can just click it, and *bing* I can see a listing of all the war movies together instead of requesting a forum search for it. (I don't really know how each one would affect server resources, but I'd imagine a separate field would have a better impact.)

Also, the sub-forum request for 'movie review requests' would be great. Yesterday I found an obscure movie that I thought about buying but didn't want to chance it if it sucked. Sometimes movies are too obscure to be found at a rental store.

Last, great work so far! I really love this forum and can't wait for it to come to its full fruition.

BlindTourist
Mar 12, 2004

The early worm gets eaten by the bird.
Sorry if this has been suggested already, but I'd like to be able to sort by the number of votes, not just the thread rating, Simply because the really good or really bad movies will get more votes, and I'd like to know which movies get the most attention. Again, sorry if this is a repeat, didn't read all the previous suggestions.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

quote:

BlindTourist came out of the closet to say:
Sorry if this has been suggested already, but I'd like to be able to sort by the number of votes, not just the thread rating, Simply because the really good or really bad movies will get more votes, and I'd like to know which movies get the most attention. Again, sorry if this is a repeat, didn't read all the previous suggestions.
Weird, it used to sort by that I'm pretty sure, but it won't now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Well that annoucement thing seems to stuff up the tables here.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I also want to point out that although TFD is open to the public, no reviews are visible inside, though I guess it doesn't really concern most of the people here. A non-goon friend pointed it out.

Interestingly the above announcement comes up perfectly fine though.

Captain Fwiffo
Jan 23, 2004

Resident of Pluto

quote:

Moxie came out of the closet to say:

i also have this problem. I noticed it on the Kill Bill thread, using IE.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit of this. Checked to see if it was an alternative brower thing, but I'm still getting it in IE.

I would like to thank, perhaps belatedly, anyone who was part of the creation and/or moderation of this sub-forum. I think it is my favorite one, and I love the way the vote system works.

:love::greatgift::love:

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Great idea for a forum, guys.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I could be totally alone on this, but I would like to see a rule that you can only initiate a thread if you are reviewing a movie you liked. The lower ratings should only exist for people who disagree with the original poster. Yeah, I'm sure Cheesy Eighties SciFi Part 3 sucked rear end, but that doesn't mean you need to fag up the Film Dump with a thread about it just so the two other people who saw it can rate it a 0.5 with you.

It's just getting tough to find thoughtful reviews (of movies worth checking out) in the midst of all the black star rated threads about obscure, lovely old movies. Maybe you feel it's cathartic to avenge the two hours of your life that Starz18 wasted and post these reviews, but I just find them annoying.

Arm Unit 700
Sep 13, 2003

buh?
I agree Band of Brothers was great, but it really isn't a movie and I don't think it belongs. Before you know it, we'll have Red Dwarf and X-Files in here, "Oh well the episodes all run into each other so it's like a movie" etc and then we're up to our neck in poo poo over debating which series should and shouldn't be classed as movies.

mgreen42
Oct 22, 2002

quote:

The Baroque Cycle came out of the closet to say:
I could be totally alone on this, but I would like to see a rule that you can only initiate a thread if you are reviewing a movie you liked. The lower ratings should only exist for people who disagree with the original poster. Yeah, I'm sure Cheesy Eighties SciFi Part 3 sucked rear end, but that doesn't mean you need to fag up the Film Dump with a thread about it just so the two other people who saw it can rate it a 0.5 with you.

It's just getting tough to find thoughtful reviews (of movies worth checking out) in the midst of all the black star rated threads about obscure, lovely old movies. Maybe you feel it's cathartic to avenge the two hours of your life that Starz18 wasted and post these reviews, but I just find them annoying.

Meh, negative feedback within limits is actually pretty useful sometimes, though it does look a little crowded. People also tend to be much more effort into posts than replies, so I'm not sure you'd ever get a consistently good negative review that way.

Great forum though guys, thanks for the effort!

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Can you make the reviews sortable by number of votes? I tried clicking the heading and it and it didn't work.

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.

quote:

NADZILLA came out of the closet to say:
Can you make the reviews sortable by number of votes? I tried clicking the heading and it and it didn't work.

Yeah, I just noticed this problem too. Tried in both IE and FireFox; no dice.

Otherwise, excellent forum :)

Marius
Aug 13, 2003

Daydreamin'
Since this is the suggestion thread, I was wondering if anyone was willing to write up a review of the 25th Hour? I am not good linguist or a cunning writer, but I feel there should be a review in there for the movie.

bbacc101
Oct 29, 2003
any possibility of a search feature for non-platinum solely within the film dump?

Squinky
Mar 16, 2004

by elpintogrande

quote:

bbacc101 came out of the closet to say:
any possibility of a search feature for non-platinum solely within the film dump?

Sort alphabetically.

Edit: also, I'm sure it's been said dozens of times, but a subforums for other stuff (books, etc) would be kinda cool.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Okay, why is the Story of Ricky review closed?

It's not a duplicate review and I'm pretty sure someone else will want to give their own take on the film.

mroach
Dec 14, 2002

by Ozma
It would be nice if you could click the thread stars rating and see a popup of what people voted, instead of using the images title attribute. You can really only see the first 4 or so votes unless you view the page sorce or image properties.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Montez
Sep 15, 2003

Frog blast the vent cores!

quote:

mroach came out of the closet to say:
It would be nice if you could click the thread stars rating and see a popup of what people voted, instead of using the images title attribute. You can really only see the first 4 or so votes unless you view the page sorce or image properties.

Not much of a solution, but Opera shows over a hundred votes and the tooltip stays up as long as the mouse is on the rating.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK
Ok, I posted a new rules list and FAQ. Feel free to point out any flaws and suggest additions.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
To help with movie reviews, what about adding a lexicon of commonly-used terms to the rules thread?

I see people using plot to mean premise or tagline.

Soundtrack, score, foley also could be defined.

Probably a few other terms.

bridwello
May 17, 2004
hey now
The only thing i do not like is the fact that the voting scale is based on a system that includes halves. ideally it should be 0-10 with no drat half points, which are for people who cant make up their mind. other than that this forum is excellent.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Anyway you could make it so this forum doesn't archive? Reviews seem to disappear after a certain amount of time has passed and it might lead to people posting repeats.

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

quote:

NADZILLA came out of the closet to say:
Anyway you could make it so this forum doesn't archive? Reviews seem to disappear after a certain amount of time has passed and it might lead to people posting repeats.

Agreed, many of my original reviews are gone. Seems like they should stay here forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
If you view the threads by rating you can still access all of them. It takes a bit to search through, but they're still there.