Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Uma Thurman, David Carradine

IMDB Link

Official Site

Trailer

Yes, I know there is a Kill Bill thread but I decided to make a different thread since Volume 2 is really different compared to the first one.

Having watched the first one, I came in expecting some type of bloodfest again similar to that of the first one. I loved the action of the first one but there was a lack of story and that somewhat irritated me. This time, Kill Bill: Volume 2 is all about the story. There is action, yes, but it is nowhere near as the amount that Volume 1 had.

The movie starts out with a flashback. We learn of Uma's past, why she got "killed" etc. It told a lot of story and I loved the flashback, especially the scene with the old china man. The scene with the coffin kept me on the edge of my seat; Tarantino did an excellent job playing that one out. The rest of the movie keeps its pace with some humor in between.

I would have to say if you were fan of the first one, then watch the second one immediately. It simply wouldn't be complete. However, if you liked the first one solely for the action, I would be a bit skeptical about watching the second one.

Comparing Volume 2 to Volume 1, I would say Volume 1 was better. Again, I loved the action and the anime scene in the first was simply awesome. But this is all just my opinion.

I would have to say 4 out of 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
I voted 5/5 just because I can't really consider this a seprate move from Vol. 1.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

quote:

CovetousCreatur came out of the closet to say:
I voted 5/5 just because I can't really consider this a seprate move from Vol. 1.

Same here. I actually waited until Volume 2 was out before seeing the first one, and I ended up watching them almost back to back (had a brief intermission on my way to the cinema), so I basically experienced it as one film.

Chro
Jul 3, 2003

My birdie runs linux.
I saw this movie without having seen the first. I thought that the movie had some creative aspects, but for the most part, the whole "OH MY GOD SHE'S IN PAIN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SHE IS SUFFERING" that was displayed over and over really started to anoy me. I'm sure that many people out there are not used to images and depictions of violence, but fact remains, it gets old.

All in all, this movie reminded me of a thread where someone posts something such as tubgirl, then 100 people say how disgusting it was and they were forced to eat their own hand. This movie had some neat elements, but it definately didn't do it for me just because they highlighting the focus to the "wow" effect.

I give it 2 (accidentally click 1. drat.) out of 5 because after seeing Volume 1's fun factor (on DVD), this didn't really even come close to entertaining me.

Armchair Eclectic
Jan 22, 2004

Smellrose
I liked this movie as a strong departure from Vol. 1. There is far less action, but that is in accordance with Bill's Superman metaphor in that we see the Bride as a superhero first and human second. It's a much more story-driven movie than the first one, and I enjoyed it a bit more. And Pai Mei is just loving classic. Voted 5.

lenin
Sep 11, 2001

dear leader
The melodrama was really, really lovely at times for a movie that was advertised as not taking itself seriously.

wake2dabeatz
Jul 1, 2003

Cards are war, in disguise of a sport.
I feel like I was cheated out $9.25. I really disliked the movie for a number of reasons. The plot seemed really random, meaning there wasn't much flow to the movie. And what the hell was with the truth serum.

Some parts were far too drawn out for me, and some parts weren't elaborated on enough. Like the experience with the master, I felt like there could have been much more to it. By the end I felt like I just wanted it to end. I have to vote a 1/5 for it.

sizemon
Jun 16, 2003

Where would we be without vasoline?
I have to disagree with the above poster. Having seen all other Tarantino movies, I've come to expect and enjoy his seemingly random timeline, but it is actually carefully placed out to create an atmosphere of suspence and sudden epiphanies during later scenes.

I wonder, however, if the Pai Mei sequence has more to is. Is this character known in other films or shows, or is it simply the archetypal view of a kung-fu master from Tarantino's television youth? I know that Hatori Hanzo(pardon any sp) was from a separate Japanese television show from the 80's, so it Pai Mei linked in somewhat the same fashion to another medium?

The movie was excellent, I was expecting a little more gore, but the metaphor mentioned previously makes it all quite clear now (and explains why she took so much more of an rear end whooping) and I wish I had noticed that at first.

5/5

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.
The first one was better, this one did not have enough action and a had lame ending, I give it 3/5.

The first one I gave like 4.5/5

ad infinitum
Oct 11, 2001
All things shining.

quote:

sizemon came out of the closet to say:
I wonder, however, if the Pai Mei sequence has more to is. Is this character known in other films or shows, or is it simply the archetypal view of a kung-fu master from Tarantino's television youth? I know that Hatori Hanzo(pardon any sp) was from a separate Japanese television show from the 80's, so it Pai Mei linked in somewhat the same fashion to another medium?

Yes, Pai Mei was a character in a number of classic kung-fu movies like Fists of the White Lotus and Executioners of Shaolin. Also, from what I can gather, he's an actual character from Chinese folklore. This is from a post on rec.martial-arts:

quote:

In Chinese folklore, Pai Mei was supposed to have been a Shaolin monk who
perfected an internal art that was clearly superior to the long-step arts
practiced by his brother monks. Pai Mei became infamous for betraying the
Shaolin cause to the Chings, leading to the levelling of at least one of
the major Shaolin temples.
So the story goes, years afterward, the son of a Patriot who had studied
Tiger style at Shaolin (If I recall the tale correctly, his name was Hung
Tse Kwan) combined his father's Tiger style with Crane style, and killed
Pai Mei in revenge -- for destroying the temple, being a lackey to the
Chings, and hounding his father to the grave. Or so the story goes.

Also note that Beatrix said she was trained in Tiger-Crane style.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
5/5, I'd give it a 6 if possible.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

Guy LeDouche came out of the closet to say:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Wait, can somebody describe the superman metaphor again?

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
"First you've got it, then you lose it, and it's gone forever. All walks of life."

Tarantino's strength, even of that little Four Rooms bit, is dialogue. Pulp Fiction was great because of the writing. The gimmicks, like the animated square drawn between Uma's fingers, were all icing. Sure, he "borrows" liberally from other movies, but all is forgiven when pulled in to a really great picture.

Fast forward to Kill Bill: Volume 2. And is there anyone who still believes that this was intended to be one movie? If it was, it might be tolerable. But it sems like it was a chance for Quentin to bang Uma for four months and make ridiculous amounts of money doing it. "Based on a character created by Q+U," it says in the credits. These are the credits for a feature film, not some oak tree you're carving in. Anyhow, Volume 2 makes Volume 1 look like a really great movie (which it wasn't), mostly by displaying how miscast this whole thing is. Carradine's lisp and Daryl Hannah's vacant performance are definitely deserving of an entire movie. Add in a fifteen minute bit about Michael Madsen's character getting fired at a strip club, and you're really constructing what needs to be a two hour and loving fifteen minute piece. Mostly it was The Passion of Uma Thurman, with her being abused in various ways and somehow living. The speech at the beginning? Yeah, not great writing. Where's the dialogue that made Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs such landmarks? And this talented writer can't come up with a better device than loving truth serum?

On a positive note, Uma has a great body.

(edited to reflect memory of truth serum gimmick noted in previous post)

Mr. BT fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 3, 2004

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

quote:

Geno came out of the closet to say:
Wait, can somebody describe the superman metaphor again?
Superman is ALWAYS superman. He hides as Clark Kent. Peter Parker is ALWAYS Peter Parker. He hides as Spiderman.

The Bride is ALWAYS a killer. She wanted to hide as a regular mom.

The second part of is that when Superman hides as CK, he is just projecting what he sees people like - weak, unconfident and <something else I can't remember>.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

President of the Republic of Louisiana, 1808-1816
^^^ Pre-edit. gently caress, beaten. And more succinctly, too. But I'll post anyway.

I'll go ahead and spoiler-tag it, just in case. But, the Superman metaphor:

Bill makes a point at the end of the movie that Superman is unique among the golden-age comic book superheros because in his case the relationship of hero to alter ego is reversed. Superman is the true nature of the person and Clark Kent is the persona he adopts. (contrast: Bruce Wayne is someone who decided to become Batman.) Bill goes on to say that because of this the nature of Clark Kent shows us Superman's judgement of the human race - weak, cowardly, helpless, and unremarkable.

The metaphor part is that Bill thinks that The Bride / Beatrix Kiddo is the same kind of relationship. The anonymous gore-soaked killing machine we saw in Volume 1 is the true nature of the person, and the innocent mother we see at the beginning of Volume 2 is a fiction she concocted. Bill's claim is that the Massacre at Two Pines served to destroy the new life Beatrix was building for herself, and that that new life was contrary to her true nature. You could assume, then, that in Bill's opinion Beatrix is using the Massacre as an excuse to return to her natural place in the world - that of a killer. In the end, the question of whether or not Beatrix is justified in her killings or not is kind of up to the viewer.

What Bill was saying, in my opinion, was: "If you tell yourself you are an innocent victim of my evil acts, you are lying to yourself about who you really are. You may be about to kill me, but don't try and tell yourself that you're blameless when you do."

And also /pompous know-it-all. What the hell do I know? Your mileage may vary. I was going to bitch a little at drivemagazine's post (Sounds like you stepped into the theater ready to loathe it, man) but he makes an excellent point - why the gently caress did I need to see Budd get fired from the strip club?

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

quote:

I would give Vol. 1 a 4.5, and I thought Vol. 2 was much better.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002

quote:

PresterJohn came out of the closet to say:
And also /pompous know-it-all. What the hell do I know? Your mileage may vary. I was going to bitch a little at drivemagazine's post (Sounds like you stepped into the theater ready to loathe it, man) but he makes an excellent point - why the gently caress did I need to see Budd get fired from the strip club? [/B]

Not only that, but why did we have to watch the long part with the Mexican guy?

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

Worth a 5 without a scrap of doubt. Every inch of Vol 2 was cinematic gold.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The movie may be surprising to some because they'll be expecting more of Vol 1 when it is not. The best way I can describe this is that Vol 2 is the meat of Kill Bill and Vol 1 was sugary dessert. Vol 2 only has one real fight in it, the rest is all dialogue and fleshing out the characters.

Gordon Liu gets an incredible amount of mileage out of Pai Mei's facial hair and will most likely be the most memorable character of the movie (as all legendary figures should). David Carradine does a great job as Bill and even though his death isn't a prolonged kungfu bloodbath, it just feels so right.

All in all we have a great conclusion to the first film, well-developed characters and a few gems like The Bride being buried alive.

4/5, the same I gave the first volume

quote:

why the gently caress did I need to see Budd get fired from the strip club?
It illustrated important aspects of Budd's character, how he is both passive aggressive and he allows himself to suffer because he feels he deserves it. For example, Budd tells Bill that he sold his Hanzo sword when he had still kept it, even though he could have made a fair amount of money from selling it, even with the engraving. He also takes lovely jobs doing degrading things and living in a crappy trailer in the middle of nowhere when he's a professional killer who could easily murder and bury his boss in an unmarked grave or make millions carrying out contracts and live on some tropical island with an assortment of hookers.

I still don't see a point to the mexican pimp scene.

Knight fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 3, 2004

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

quote:

When I saw that scene I was expecting Budd to get some guns and kill everyone in the club. But he didn't. I think it was to show that Budd didn't deserve to take down the bride. It's another reason Elle Driver kills Budd. She didn't think some loser like Budd deserved to "kill" the bride.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.
definately a 5. i enjoyed it more than Volume 1, despite there being less blood.

pud
Jul 9, 2001
While I wouldn't say the first installment was a masterpiece (I'd give it about a 3.5/5, myself), it was entertaining enough, and aside from the bloated Hattori chapter the pacing was great.

This one, however, suffers greatly by the inclusion of several sub-dvd deleted scene quality bits that were clearly left in to inflate the run time to justify the split. The previously mentioned scene with Budd in the strip club can be ignored on the strength of the Pai Mei chapter and the fight with Elle that follow it, but once those scenes are over the movie slams on the brakes and never gets back on track. The problem isn't so much that this is the "talky" half of the movie, it's more that most of the dialogue falls completely flat. From the mexican pimp who hangs around about five minutes more than he's welcome to the horrible Superman monologue that manages to both completely misinterpret the Superman character and fall victim to Kevin Smith-itis and sound like the director speaking rather than the supposed character there's nothing particulary memorable or witty to be found.

And while it's not completely fair to judge a film based on it's resemblence to an early draft of the script, the fact that several of the movie's trouble spots (the pimp and strip club, for instance) are either 1/10th as long or missing completely in the script would suggest they were thrown in here to stretch the thirty minutes of actual content out enough to justify charging for a second ticket.

Moses
Nov 19, 2003

You sound like you're in a cult...
I adore the film, and just want to comment on the pimp scene.

Why is it there? "Esteban was a pimp, and a friend of Bill's mother." Bill's mother was one of his whores? "Like most men who never knew their father, Bill had gone through life collecting father figures."

Who is Bill? Why is he a self-described "murdering bastard"? The conversation with esteban shows why he is what he is.......if you get past the hard-to-understand english, you realise just how evil esteban is......the girl with the disfigured face isn't just a random note..."you'd have been my no.1 lady". "he shot you in the head......I would have just cut your face."

Much like the Budd scene at the strip club (which totally informs his character as well as having the best drat arses for elbows comment ever) the pimp scene totally informs character......but I suppose you have to see this as more than an action film to notice (why is it classified as action......it ain't.)

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

quote:

Absolutely. Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 together are my new favorite movie.

freshfor88
Feb 14, 2004
The sandwich part was incredibly boring.

If I wanted to watch people make sandwiches, I'd go down to my local Subway restaurant.... and it wouldnt cost be $12!

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

By far, the best movie of the year.

The last 30 minutes is pretty incredible, I really should go see this again.

bocevus
Sep 11, 2002

Got a big enough joint there Rick?
Didn't care for Kill Bill Vol 1 and was hesitant to see Vol 2. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Story was good and there was a nice mix of action.

Voted 3.5

Shakey
May 12, 2004

by OMGWTFBBQ
I really liked Kill Bill Vol. 1, and I loved Vol. 2... though really I consider them the same movie. This movie seemed more fleshed out or something though, and Michael Madsen is the loving man. So is David Carradine.

5/5

Lehrer
Mar 6, 2004
I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!
I enjoyed 2 more than 1, because I actually cared about the characters in Vol 2. And though there were less fight scenes, the fights seemed more important than in Vol 2. And the Pai Mei sequence is the funniest part of both films. Though, the mexican pimp scene was pointless filler.

Vol. 1 is good, but Vol. 2 is great.

5/5

nk fshx
Aug 24, 2003
I hated the first one, and i really liked this one. Very good dialouge and some pretty funny parts. 4/5

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

Voted 1.5, I loved the first one but the second one sucked rear end. Slow as poo poo, with boring dialogue and useless scenes (The tittybar, the Mexican pimp, etc..). I liked the first one because it was mindless violence, volume 2 exchanged the fun stuff for a very medriocre and generic story told in an unbearable, pretentious way. The fight against the pirate woman, and the flashback to the training with the Chinese master were extremely awesome, though, but not enough to redeem the movie as a whole.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!

quote:

I thought it was a great scene, personally. Just went to illustrate (to a ridiculously over-the-top degree) how low he'd sunk, and the difference between him and his brother. It just fleshed out the character really well, because there wasn't much screentime devoted to him, and without it ... well, there's nothing. You don't get the sense of how lovely his life has become without the titty bar scene. I thought the line about the sword being priceless was pretty great, as well.

I loved the change in pace of the second film, as well. I thought the first one was great, but only because there haven't been any really fun movies in a while. But another movie of that (especially in light of the fact that it was intended to be one long movie--one that we'll hopefully see soon) would be tedious, to say the least. I don't really want to sit through three hours of Blue Leaves when 15 minutes is enough.

Voted 5/5, because as a whole (hell, even in parts), it's a fantastic piece of work.

Arm Unit 700
Sep 13, 2003

buh?

quote:

profbobo came out of the closet to say:

I thought it was a great scene, personally. Just went to illustrate (to a ridiculously over-the-top degree) how low he'd sunk, and the difference between him and his brother. It just fleshed out the character really well, because there wasn't much screentime devoted to him, and without it ... well, there's nothing. You don't get the sense of how lovely his life has become without the titty bar scene. I thought the line about the sword being priceless was pretty great, as well.
Voted 5/5, because as a whole (hell, even in parts), it's a fantastic piece of work.
Yeah, if they had skipped that bit we would know practically zero about his character. Granted, there was probably some better way of doing this but I thought it worked. Overall I loved this movie, God it was good. Bill's speech at the end brought a tear to my eye.

4.5/5.5

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
Liked it far better than the first one, mostly because it got away from some of the cheesy blood-spray and KILL ONE BILLON PEOPLE WITH A SWORD type stuff. Maybe it's because I don't appreciate the genre? Vol 2 was just more accessable.

BORING IDIOT
Jan 28, 2004
Loved this film and it is worth the 10 bucks I paid to see it.

rline
Nov 29, 2003

Voted 4.5

My favorite scenes include the beginning wedding rehearsal, the coffin scene and of course Bill's death.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I absolutely adore this movie, and I've seen it about once a week since it was released in theatres (unfortunately, it's on its way out now to make room for the summer blockbusters). Volume One was great too, but this one has quickly become one of my favorite films of all time. I've always been a fan of movies that mix up different genres and styles, and this movie really delivers in that aspect. The music, the characters...everything comes together in this great blend of genre codes to make an incredible love letter to cinema. I have to wonder if this will become a new style of filmmaking in the future, especially since Tarantino seems to spawn imitators left and right. The end credits were great too.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Second half of my favorite revenge film of all time.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceritus
Jul 31, 2002

C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.
While I was enthralled by the first film and think it's nearly perfect, I was somewhat disappointed by the second installment. The plot really seemed to drag rear end in some areas, and the ways that both Sidewinder and Bill died, I thought, were extremely lame. The last fight between Beatrix and Bill was all of, what, 15 seconds? And Sidewinder getting bested by some snake? Please.

Anyways, I still give it a 4.0/5.5