Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
Directed by: David Fincher
Starring: Jodie Foster, Forrest Whitaker

Director: David Fincher
Starring: Jodie Foster, Forrest Whitaker
Plot: A recently divorced mother and her daughter get a great bargain on a luxurious New York tbrownstone - but the house comes with a price
Views: This film is great. From Finchers memorable opening credits to the scene with the gas bottle, the DP displays excellent photography skills - if you appreciated the "Detonation" sequence in Fight Club, you're in for a treat here as one of Finchers moves...quoted from imdb

quote:

Then we are given a remarkable tracking shot that outdoes de Palma, Altman, Andersen. This starts out with various angles on Meg in bed, then goes out the room, between the balusters and down the stairwell. It eventually takes us all through the house as the baddies break in. On and on it goes, in and out of a keyhole, through the handle of a coffeepot, through floors and walls. Each moment thrills.

The lighting is excellent and watching it for the first time, theres a palpable sensation of danger. Foster is at her peak, displayng remarkable levels of fitness for someone who was pregnant during filming, and Forrest Whittaker plays the role of reluctant criminal well. Perhaps the weakest link goes to the daughter character.

I rate this film 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefunkygibbon
Jul 23, 2002
one of the rare few films i have watched and fell asleep during (spiderman being the other one i can remember). I thought Panic room was just pretty boring with a predictable plotline and pretty lame acting.

I didnt realise that this is actually david fincher film, which is somewhat shocking, since as all the other fincher movies i own are so good (fight club, the game, se7en and alien3)

2/5

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This had a terrible, terrible ending, and that completely ruined the film for me.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Well-made, but utterly disappointing. There wasn't a single moment in the film where I felt even the slightest bit of concern for the "victims." The villains tend to provide more comedy than suspense. Still, the performances are all strong, despite the maddenly weak plot, making the whole production at least marginally watchable.

2/5

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.
it was a decent little film. my biggest problem with it was the overuse of computer effects when panning through the house. i would actually give this film a 4, mostly because of the acting.

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
I was not a big fan of this film. It seemed to lack any respect for human life, justifying death for people just because they did some "bad" things.

This movie does earn high scores for some pretty tense and imaginative stand-offs.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I really love this movie. It's got incredible cinematography, great acting and direction, and the single coolest extended tracking shot this side of Touch of Evil. But the thing I like most about Panic Room is the smart script. With few exceptions, the characters use their brains and do what real, intelligent people would do in tight situations. That is rarely true of this type of thriller.

4/5

Sleen
Jul 30, 2003
I thought the plot in this was horrible and besides foster, the acting equally lovely. Not overly painful to watch, but one movie I never need to see again.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

It isn't saying much, but it's Fincher's worst movie. 3/5

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

quote:

thefunkygibbon came out of the closet to say:
I didnt realise that this is actually david fincher film, which is somewhat shocking, since as all the other fincher movies i own are so good (fight club, the game, se7en and alien3)
I realized it was a Fincher movie right at the start, when we get his patented thru-the-walls camera work.
1st time through I was disappointed by Fincher and Foster. I had no sympathy for a woman who would move into such an oversized house just to spite her husband.
2nd time I watched it I liked it more. Not much more, but a little bit more.

Fans of this movie - or even more, people who watched and didn't like it - should check out a little gem about a woman trapped alone in her apartment from 1967 - Wait Until Dark.
Audrey Hepburn vs. a truly nasty bunch of villains.

If you're a DVD watcher and haven't seen it before, get Wait Until Dark instead of Panic Room. Turn off every light source in the room, unplug your phone, and watch Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin's brilliant performances.
*edit* it's a cheap Warner Bros. case with few DVD extras, might want to rent not buy.

3.0 Okay

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 27, 2004

Faid
Sep 18, 2003

by elpintogrande
It's a good entertaining thriller, with good performances offset by it's unfortunate ending. Forrest Whitaker's character should obviously have been let go.

3.5/5

dr.dendrite
Nov 16, 2003
i wish i could think of something original to say
I thought this was a really entertaining movie, and not just because Jodie Foster was ultra-sexy in it :love:.
4/5

Nighend
Dec 5, 2003
I'm all about the swishy.
It's rare to see a movie with as much tension as this one. The extended tracking shot is one of my favorite movie scenes, and I liked just about all the characters. I also liked the whole idea that the daughter is diabetic.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Highly underrated film. I cannot understand why there would be any hate for this. It's quite intense in parts, the acting is very good, and the special effects are very impressive (check the extras on the 3disc DVD to see just how MUCH special effects actual are in the movie!)

JamieMadrox
Feb 8, 2004
DON'T CLOSE SH/SC THREADS
Very fun, thrilling movie. Jodie Foster is excellent, i love Jodie Foster. This brings me to my next question; why does she choose to NEVER act! If you look at her filmography, she's never working...always turning down roles...why won't she ever act! All her movies are great and she is great.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Nitwit
Sep 11, 2001

I miss the 80s.
Pretty bad. I thought Jodie's daughter was her son for half the film, and the diabetic thing was an embarrasing plot device. And did we need to see Jodie sitting on a toilet?

I also hated, hated, hated the slo-mo shots. I broke out into a slowed down version of "Yakity Sax" during one of them.

The CGI shots that went through the insides of the doors and pipes were incredibly tedious as well.

2/5

Rent Rope instead, if you want to see a good thriller (well, drama at least) set inside a house.

Max Nitwit fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 27, 2004