Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
Directed by: Tom Holland
Starring: Patricia Wettig, Dean Stockwell, David Morse

Director: Tom Holland
Starring: Patricia Wettig, Dean Stockwell, David Morse, COUSIN BALKI!!!!
Plot: A group of people, including an airline pilot, fall asleep on a routine cross country flight. Waking up mid air, a blind girl reaches out to find her aunt's seat empty, and the plane deserted...
Views: Made for TV and based on the Stephen King novella of the same name, The Langoliers was never going to be high class cinema. Yet, it posesses a peculiar charm that can't be denied. The acting is passable, if not commendable, and it's excellent to see international superstar Bronson Pinchot, better known as Cousin Balki, in his breakout role as a loving nutcase.

The CG is pretty bad, even for it's time, although I must sympathise with the artists, given that King's description of the Langoliers was essentially "legs with teeth".

Nobody expected this film to be as good as it was.. and that works in it's favour. Go into it expecting quality, and you'll be confused, if not let down. However, go in with low expectations, and you'll be pleasantly suprised.

3/5, bumped up to 4/5 due to COUSIN BALKI :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Nothing in this movie inspired any favor from me. I looked at my watch numerous times, wondering when it would be finished. Of all the Stephen King movies or made-for-TV films, this is by far his worst, in my opinion.

1/5

pud
Jul 9, 2001
Any hope of redemption for this one kinda dies as soon as the langoliers show up looking like the spawn of the tasmanian devil and some turds. To it's credit it had Balki getting creamed by a toaster and is responsible for the old Captain Brian Engle!! image threads, but it's still a total stinker.

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
Crap, absolute crap. 4 hours of hell. 1/5

benyovo
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

velocityJE came out of the closet to say:
Crap, absolute crap. 4 hours of hell. 1/5

I could not have said it better.

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

I really liked the overall premise in theory, but it went on way too long. And the special effects were absolutely laughable. Those things looked like 3D Pac-mans with some sort of skin rash.

Another potentially good Stephen King story ruined by a mediocre movie.

Math Rocker
Sep 21, 2003

by Ozma
Maybe my view of this movie would be different if I watched it today. But I when I saw it 6 years ago I enjoyed it. Nothing special about it though, not worth a rental, but if it's on TV I'd recommend seeing it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Kings' books often don't work well as movies. This one is a glowing example.

2/5

HPopper 2.0
Jul 14, 2001

This is one of those movies where you wait through the crappy acting and stupid story because you're curious to see what the monsters turn out to be. Then they turn out to be poorly CG'd levitating venus flytraps with chainsaw teeth that chase the bluescreened actors around while making dumb noises. That's when you punch yourself in the face until you pass out as punishment for watching a made-for-TV miniseries by Stephen King.
.05/5

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
CAPTAIN BRIAN ENGLE!!!

http://www.somethingawful.com/images/engle.gif

http://www.somethingawful.com/images/engle-2.gif

http://www.somethingawful.com/images/engle-3.gif

http://www.somethingawful.com/images/engle-4.gif

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I liked this one. It was made with an extremely cheap budget and various daytime tv actors, but it still kept me wondering what was going on and then worried about the Langoliers showing up. I loved Bronson Pinchot because he was a fussy little business man who became a knife-weilding psychopath, stabbed the blind girl, then had hallucanations on the runway before being eaten by giant balls with teeth.

3/5, it's not a good movie but I still enjoy it

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
This one gets a 2/5 for havign Balki in it. It would be a a 3/5, but Cousin Larry never showed up.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Another shining example of why so many Stephen King books/novellas make lovely movies. The one King movie I actually like is the one he hates- Shining. Langoliers was laughably bad.

Kash
Jul 17, 2003

It's ironic. I finally have love in my heart but, alas, there is blood in my urine.

quote:

Ozma came out of the closet to say:
Another shining example of why so many Stephen King books/novellas make lovely movies. The one King movie I actually like is the one he hates- Shining. Langoliers was laughably bad.

Yeah, for some reason he really hated the film adaptation of the shining.

As for this film, I have to admit that it's about 7 years since I saw this as the 'scary' film at a sleepover when I was a wee lad (the 'scary films' that we picked meant that I got to see the masterpiece that was 'Skeeter' a film that got a glorious 2.3 on imdb).

This wasn't a good film, it was poorly acted and poorly budgeted. However that doesn't mean it wasn't an entertaining film. If you really don't want to concentrate and just want to laugh at a crappy film, this is a good choice.

However it's still a really bad film. I give it a 2/5

ElecHeadMatt
May 27, 2003

I HATE PHANTOM SPACE MAN
"Legs with teeth"? I thought they looked like giant raisins with chainsaw mouths. What a weird description.

Nevertheless, it scared the poo poo out of me when I was little. 4/5 for sentimental value.

Ramen Soup
Mar 17, 2004
Chicken finger gourmet
I remember me and my brothers watched this movie a long time ago and didn't mind it that much. Then we saw it again and realized that it was just funny. We MST3K'd it the whole way through. My favorite quote is "It's making that awful cereal noise!"
Voted it a 2/5 because it had some good moments...some.

Oh Stephen King...you have been disgraced once again.

Captain Fwiffo
Jan 23, 2004

Resident of Pluto
As one of the aforementioned brothers, I can personally attest to the humor of this supposed terror-inducing TV movie. The special effects are bad enough, but with lines like this, it just gets funnier and funnier:

WOMAN: They sound...
BLIND GIRL: Weak?
WOMAN: Yes... almost as if they didn't have any strength.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I think in my case, I would have enjoyed this more had I not already read the book and a picture of what the characters looked like, etc.

I think that is the problem with a lot of Stephen King book-to-movie deals. He's a terrific writer, and in most cases, it's difficult to improve upon his books with a movie version.

That being said, 2.5.

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.

quote:

ElecHeadMatt came out of the closet to say:
"Legs with teeth"? I thought they looked like giant raisins with chainsaw mouths. What a weird description.

Nevertheless, it scared the poo poo out of me when I was little. 4/5 for sentimental value.

I just used that because that was how king described them in his book

Phenylketonuric
Aug 12, 2003

I liked this movie. It's not really a "good" film but it has its moments. I love the paper tearing.

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001
I liked the film, but that's mostly because I really really really liked the novella.

Voted 3/5 but can very easily see why it could be hated.

locdogg
Nov 16, 2000

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a horror it gets .5/5

As a comedy it gets 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain-Obvious
Aug 19, 2003

by Livestock
Gived that there are now 71 votes for this movie, that means other than me, Stephen King needs to get started on 70 hand written apologies. .5/5

I HATED this movie with the kind of contempt I usually only reserve for some people.