Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Directed by: James Cameron
Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jamie Lee Curtis, Art Malik

A remake of the 1991 French film La Totale!, True Lies takes a look at the secret double life of a man named Harry Tasker (Arnold Schwarzenegger). Known as a boring computer salesman to his family (Jamie Lee Curtis and Eliza Dushku), he's really a jet setting super-spy working for a top secret branch of the U.S. Government.

When Harry suspects that his wife is having an affair, he abuses his status and privileges as a government agent to try win her back via elaborate means. But unfortunately for Harry, this won’t be the only thing from his job that will begin to have an effect on his home life…

True Lies is one of my favourite movies. For me it's one of those films where I had seen it a couple of times, generally liking it only to later realise just how brilliant the film really is.

The thing I love about True Lies is how the ridiculous premise, played out in a completely straight manner and taken seriously by the characters, both breaks and plays around with typical spy genre conventions while instilling a subtle, almost spoof-like, almost self-referential comedic atmosphere in the film, resulting in some great “the movie is winking at you” moments.

The character of Harry Tasker also breaks the mould of the typical action hero by letting him gently caress up some of the time. Witness how he apologises every time he inconveniences someone, or his not-quite-so-perfect take off in a Harrier jump-jet.

It is also the role that I believe Schwarzenegger actually delivers his best performance as, juggling his two acting approaches: action and comedy, with a deft touch. Tom Arnold also makes a great comedy relief sidekick and the chemistry between the two is fantastic. And with the exceptions of the villains who came off rather generically to me, the rest of the main cast produce commendable performances. Though I have to give Cameron credit for allowing Art Malik and his henchmen to make some very human gaffs in their actions.

Of course with a solid story and some spectacular action, the True Lies can be enjoyed as just a straight action flick. However, it is these touches that I truly believe set True Lies apart from your typical big budget actioner.

5/5

PROS: Schwarzenegger's best performance.
CONS: Villains generic in nature.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129387/

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 4, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
One of my favourite early nineties action/comedy movies.

Tom Arnold and Arnold Schwarzenegger have great chemistry, and Jamie Lee Curtis's dance is :quagmire:, even if she does have a penis :)

4/5

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
Awesome action movie, and Tom Arnold's character is a hilarious touch. Engaging plot, great stunt sequences, just overall so good. Arnie is also very funny in this; one of his best, definitely.

5/5

Clown Meadows
Jul 13, 2003

YARRRR! Where be the gray matter up in this piece, son?
This is brilliant. The subtle comedy mixes in perfectly along with the way the characters take the whole thing seriously. The action is great just like the rest of the movie. Something I could watch over and over and still find funny.

jc dracula
Nov 7, 2001
Almost entertaining as a stupid action comedy but they should have found a way to wrap it up without that godawful endgame at the skyscraper. There's something likeable about it anyway.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Great movie. Love the truth drug scene.

Too bad for Tom Arnold he has been stereotyped into the comedic sidekick since that movie.

Old Jeff
Nov 19, 2002

by angerbot
Bill Paxton was great in this movie.
"The Vette gets 'em wet."

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Swarzenegger is always at his best when he's making fun of himself. This film is the best example.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

quote:

velocityJE came out of the closet to say:
Arnie is also very funny in this; one of his best, definitely.

This movie broke the mold of Arnie action. See "Last Action Hero" to see where this trend ended up going. Clever movie over-all.

4/5

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
How Tom Arnold ended up not getting more good movie roles after this film, I will never know. An exciting, interesting movie with great flow and impressive chemistry between the main characters. Easily one of Arnold's best movies.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

I watching this film not expecting much but it turned out to be a good action film. It was a times very unrealistic, but that is a trade mark of Arnold Schwarzenegger films.

3/5

deez nutz
Aug 20, 2003

by Fistgrrl
The way it constantly makes fun of itself is great. If you take it seriously I can see why you wouldn't like it, but it's a pretty obvious spoof. Also,

"YOU'RE FIRED"

5/5

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Let me first of all say that I'm not exactly a James Cameron hater. T2 is great, and The Terminator and Aliens are among my all-time favorites. So, knowing this movie's reputation, I had high expectations when I sat down to watch it.

...yeah.

The good things: great action sequences (though what else would you expect from Cameron?) Also, Bill Paxton is good, as much as I hate his subplot.

The neutral: very stupid Arnold-vs-terrorists plot. But it's goofy-stupid, so I can live with that.

The bad: A 12-year-old could do a better job of plotting. The aforementioned terrorist plotline is completely jettisoned for a beyond-idiotic subplot with Jamie Lee Curtis and Bill Paxton. I know it's supposed to be funny, but what happens here just strikes me as disturbing, and it kills the film for me. Oh, and then the terrorists show up again, laughably abruptly.

I really don't like this movie.

2/5.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The ultimate popcorn flick, the perfect blind of light comedy and action. A rather large step down from James Cameron's previous works (and a sign of things to come with Titanic) but thats to be expected given the nature of the film itself.

It's rather like a classic Bond film mixed with an 80s action flick.

It is also the only known footage of Tom Arnold actually being funny. And everyone loves hot hot 13 year old Eliza Dushku.

PS. The Region 1 disc loving blows. International versions fare a lot better. R2 Japan is anamorphic NTSC with DTS, R4 Australia is anamorphic PAL, no DTS but loving cheap. R2 UK is censored.

I would vote it a 4, but for what it sets out to do, I think its perfect, so I have to give it a 5. 5.5 is reserved for T2 and Aliens.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
A solid 4, lots of goofy fun all around. As noted, Tom Arnold inexplicably DOESN'T suck. Jamie Lee Curtis in one of her last really hot-looking film appearances (at least from the neck down :fap: ). A movie from when Arab terrorists were still fun. Oh, you crazy a-rabs, what WILL you do next? :jihad:

Yabanjin
Feb 13, 2007

I AM smiling.
I was just watching this movie again tonight, and drat is it good. It's a really solid 80's action flick when it was all about Arnold and Cameron. It's funny without being forced (with the exception of the "You're fired" one-liner, which is requisite for the time) and the action scenes are right on par with anything in a James Bond movie, and just about as silly (how did they get that horse in that elevator?), but it's being over the top is in itself the point of this film.

This is a movie about movies. Audience members are requested by a movie to suspend reality in exchange for an fantasy that they can live vicarious through, at least for a couple of hours. Each of the 3 main characters is an actor in a "role" that they are playing, a fantasy life as opposed to reality, but is eventually forced to confront the truth in the same way that we all come out of the theatre after the credits, and go back to our lives of mortgages and diaper changing. It's a kind of unofficial breaking of the fourth wall, and this movie is underrated when compared with other contemporary Cameron classics.

This is the movie that Mr. and Mrs. Smith only wishes it could be.
Definitely worth your time.

4.5 /5 stars

(edit: added some more)

Yabanjin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 14, 2009

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
I think its Arnolds second greatest work behind T1.

Its always entertaing.

My one gripe with it is that I always feel a bit bad for bill paxton, they take their revenge a little too far! Though I do love the bit where Arnie suddenly has a sudden fantasy moment where he smashes paxtons head into the wheel of his car.

And of course that one scene with Jamie Lee Curtis was a loving jerk off neverland when I was younger, she had a body that didnt stop(think she still has); and she proves herself as an awesome actress by being able to slip in and out of being a nerdy housewife stright into being insanely hot.

The action is great, good comic relief, suspend your disbelief for a couple of hours and I cant see how you cant have a good time.

All you youngsters out there who missed this, go get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
For me the best part about this movie is that James Cameron will start off a scene as though its going to be your typical action scene. But at the last moment he takes it in a direction the viewer doesn't see coming such as Arnold trying to leap across two skyscrapers on the horse. While the audience expects the horse to fly from roof to roof like Santa's reindeer, instead the horse balks, launching Arnold over the edge.

This is a very smart, clever and funny action film.