Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
Directed by: Milos Forman
Starring: Jack Nicholson

Director: Milos Forman
Starring: Jack Nicholson
Plot: Sentenced for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, McMurphy decides that rather than spend his time in jail, he will convince the guards that he's crazy enough to need psychiatric care and is sent to a hospital.

Views: We had to watch this for psychology, and upon hearing the news, I thought to myself, "A 1975 film on Mental Health; how lovely will this be?". I'm happy to admit that I was very wrong, and that I feel that this film is very deserving of the awards that it won. The camera work is great, the soundtrack is compelling, and the acting is top notch from all sides, especially from Nicholson who seems to have quite the lock on maniacal roles. Louise Fletcher is also excellent in her role as his nemesis, and the dynamic the two have on screen is great.

4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...
It's a good movie, but if you've read the book beforehand, be prepared for some changes. The style the book is written in (narration by the Chief) doesn't apply to filmmaking for reasons of practicality and interest. After comparing the book and film in an English class, we decided that the movie was good but the book was better.

4/5

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

I cried at the end of this film.

5/5

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Aunt Jemima - Goddess of Love
Very good movie.

4.5/5

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Very good adaption, Jack Nicholson just nails the lead role. I can't think of an actor better suited to play the role of McMurphy.

However, I think that it really glosses over a lot of the complexities of the character's motivations, such as the true depth of the Nurse's evil, which takes away from the movie. I watched it with someone who had never read the book, and it was obvious that they didn't fully understand some of the character's actions.

I can understand how as a movie, it is limited by time and other restrictions, and can't get as in depth as the book did. However, I would have liked to see a little more development of some of the characters, especially the Nurse and the Chief (as mentioned before, the book is actually narrated from his point of view).

Still a very good movie, Fletcher and Nicholson's acting is top notch.
4/5.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Nurse Ratched was the first film character that caused such anger and hatred in me that I wanted to go into the film and kill her myself. There have been others since then, but never to the degree of that bitch. Louise Fletcher's performance is so good in this film that it is all I can think of when I see her in something else. No matter how nice and kind the character she portrays is, I hate her, and want ill to befall her. I honestly pray I never meet her in real life, because I may hit her with a sock full of nickels.

Excellent movie, but a 4.5/5 because I have never really wanted to see it after the first time.

Evil Adam
Jul 18, 2003

He's very good.
I read the book before the movie and was throughly disappointed. Way too many changes, and none of the major themes were there. Great performances, but I agree with Ken Kesey who made a vow to never watch the film based on the book he wrote. I'll give it a 3/5.

McMurphy
Feb 14, 2004

THE FACES OF THOSE IVE KILLED
THE FACES OF THE DEAD
THE FACES OF THOSE I'VE KILLED

I took my name from the main character, so you can guess that this is one of my most favoritest movies of all time. 5.5 from me.

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
Ending... Gets me eevry time. :'(

5/5

Arm Unit 700
Sep 13, 2003

buh?
I saw this on a plane, I remember noticing how the 8 year old next to me was watching it too and wondering how hosed he was going to be by the end of it. I liked it, but the bleak outlook made me too depressed to say I really "enjoyed" it. I swear I honestly wanted that chief nurse to die at that end part. Voted 4.5.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

This is one of the best movies I have ever watched. Because to me it is not only entertaining but it made me realise how hosed up some things are. It is said that when the book came out it created such a scandal that psychiatry was reformed all across the US. I can see why.

Oh and I always cry at the end.
5.5/5

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 1, 2014

Hüstla Dü
Apr 24, 2003

bitch gets her abdomen sliced open with razor, bitch gets her eyeball sliced across with razor, bitch cries tears of blood and vomits out her tongue, entrails, stomach
This is one of my favorite movies. The movie did stray from the novel sometimes, which was good and bad at turns. Harding was a character I really liked in the book, and he kind of got the shaft here. But making Ratched a more sympathetic character was an interesting move.

Real Dad
Mar 3, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I've always read the book to be more about castration and emasculation than the combine reference, so the film really doesn't do it for me because of the changes in the plot McMurphy not ripping off Nurse Ratched's shirt when he attacks her ruins the end for me

I just feel like it was directed (albeit directed very well) with a onetrack adaption that Kesey, a master of equivocaty, definately wouldn't agree with.

4/5

DanSTC
Aug 6, 2002

by Fistgrrl
This movie has inspired me to throw a sink through a window more than any other movie I've seen.

I personally enjoyed the book far more, however - especially how the narrator is the big native-American.

4.5/5

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
I have no idea how this movie is considered among the greatest of all time. I can't remember a single part that I was actually entertained for. The ending was the worst part, by far.

The book was much, much better. Do yourself a favor and read it instead of watching the movie.

1.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SappinMahBaby
Feb 20, 2006
"In the Flesh?"
It's a good film, but the narration style used in the book was hugely important and the fact that they discarded it for the movie hurt it a lot. Jack Nicholson was great though (when is he not?)

3/5