Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
Directed by: Ben Stiller
Starring: Ben Stiller

Director: Ben Stiller
Starring: Ben Stiller
Plot: International supermodel Derek Zoolander has got the world at his feet, until, what should be his fourth trophy in a row at the VH1 awards goes to an upstart model named Hansel, played with great aplomb by Owen Wilson. His career on the skids, he is approached by international designer Mugatu to.. kill the Malaysian Prime Minister.
Views: T'm suprised at how enjoyable this movie was. Clearly this isn't going to be the smartest film on the block (lol VH1) but it fills it's niche pretty well with a few standout moments - the gasoline fight, the "blue steel/magnum is exaclty the same look" are examples.

Overall, a 3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pointblank
Jan 1, 2004

It is a world transformed, where things are not what they seem.
One of those movies that, given enough viewings, will add about fifteen phrases to your regular lexicon.

I'm a big fan of Stiller, Wilson and Ferrell, and all deliver in this film. Awesome cameos and music make this definitely one of the better SNL alumni movies.

It won't change your life, but it will hopefully provide you with an hour or so of hearty laughs. (The DVD has some gold menu/commentary stuff too)

4/5

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

One of the most re-watchable and quotable movies of all time. Fulfils its intended purpose brilliantly.

"Moisture is the essence of wetness..."

4/5

Aquasol
Jun 23, 2003

Destroy all dreamers w/ debt + depression...
I thought this movie was pretty good. It is basically one joke stretched out over 90 minutes ("models are dumb"), but there was enough flavor to keep me laughing throughout. I think it holds up well to repeated viewings, and as others have said, there are a whole bunch of funny little catchphrases in there.

Overall, 4/5.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The first time I saw this movie, I think I laughed for 20 minutes straight. The fact that it wasn't trying to be a parody (like Naked Gun, which I didn't really like because how can you connect with fake characters?) you actually could understand where they were coming from. I think the line they had to walk was very thin, and the fact that it was able to succeed on that very thin line of comedy and parody without falling one way or the other is a testament to the writers.

3.3/5 (rounded to 3)

Frankenfuhrer
Sep 11, 2003

pineal glans
I went to see it at the thearter with Anybody.

I remember seeing one of those gigantic blue slushies at the concession stand and thinking Ooooo blue is refreshing and cool, so I bought the humungus one.

About 20 minutes into the movie I'd already drank the whole thing, it didnt taste too good but it was loving blue and I was drinking blue stuff. Cool.

Then a little burp.. then a littl buRRAAAAAAHHHHLLLLFFFFF.

Yep barfed what seemed like two liters of blue chunk-slop all over the floor right in front of me. Wasn't quiet about it neither. Real gut renching heave in the dead middle of the Fenway movie thearter on a sunny Thursday afternoon.

After the geyser stopped, and I sat there panting with my hands out, each finger extended, most dripping with ectoplasem, Anybody looked over at me, paused and very quietly said "I'll get some napkins." Thanks buddy.

I wasn't sick, I hadn't been drinking, I blame the movie. Watching Zoolander made me vomit. I have to go with my concience and vote a 2, it would have been a 1 but spraying blue spew is kinda :coal: .

Anybody
Aug 27, 2003

Anti-Pedo Knight of Justice
Shortly there after... as we sat there in the quiet theater. I then suggested "How about we move down a few.

I'm here for ya bud.

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

One of the best comedies to come out in years, it surprised the hell out of me. It has some great quotes.

mroach
Dec 14, 2002

by Ozma

quote:

dojokm came out of the closet to say:
One of the best comedies to come out in years, it surprised the hell out of me. It has some great quotes.

"Oh Snap!"

I loved this movie. The sheer stupidity and such makes it all the funnier

"died in a freak gasoline fight accident"

4.5/5

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I liked one part of this movie, and that was the gas fight.

Shady Lane
Jul 21, 2002

Chilin ( <3 C-Mart )
The movie had a lot of brainless antics in it and that's what made me laugh. It fit well with the joke on the modeling indistry. Will Ferrell is an idiot and he really played up his role which added to the comedic absurdity. Definitely something to watch

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

A few friends and I rented this on DVD without reading any reviews first. Big mistake. I don't remember if we noticed that Ben Stiller wrote and directed this himself, but in hindsight I guess we should have seen it coming.

We just stared stunned at this turd for however long the editor had decided to make the suffering last. It got a few courtesy laughs, but beyond that nothing but silence.

What a terrible, terrible abortion of a movie. If you want to see a Ben Stiller movie, see Meet the Parents instead. It actually contains humour and is worth watching.

Friends don't let friends watch Zoolander.

1.5/5

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
well i wasn't going to vote on this but since it's right there at the top of the list...
The fashion industry satirizes itself anyway, which is probably why Prêt-à-Porter was so weak, Head Over Heels so bad, and Zoolander so horrible.

Too bad there's no -1.5 rating, to indicate the old cliche, "give me back the time spent watching"

quote:

Cthuluburger came out of the closet to say:
it was loving blue and I was drinking blue stuff. Cool. Then a little burp.. then a littl buRRAAAAAAHHHHLLLLFFFFF.
Yep barfed what seemed like two liters of blue chunk-slop all over the floor
I can't believe no one else said it, since they claim to have watched the movie, but here goes...

The look on your face at that moment: Blue Steel.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 9, 2004

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The pain was unbelieveable as my IQ dropped while watching this one.

Voted 1.0

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
"Don't you know I get all farty and bloaty with a foamy latte?"

Oh man, this movie has me in stitches. One of the funnier flicks I've seen in the past few years. 4/5

zeebarr
Dec 20, 2003
" I think I know what a U-googily is " LMAO

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
First time I saw this movie: Didn't like it 1/5
Second time I saw this movie: Didn't like it 1/5
Third time I saw this movie: Didn't like it, but could quote it 1.5/5
Fourth time I saw this movie: Didn't mind it 2/5
Fifth time I saw this movie: Started to see some more of the more subtle humor 2.5
Subsequent times: Enjoyed the movie, at least to some extent. 3/5

In case your wondering, it's one of my girlfriends all time favorite movies, so whenever it's on HBO we end up watching it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I love this movie, I'm willing to admit it's hit or miss, but if you "get" it then it's a beaut

David Duchovny's cameo is the best

sexgeny
Sep 19, 2003

I really did not know what to expect when I started watching this movie, but it quickly won me over. This is Ben Stiller's best character and his best collaboration with Owen Wilson. I enjoyed all the celebrity cameos especially David Bowie as the officiator of the walk-off. There are some highly quotable lines in this movie, and the Blue Steel/Magnum face is something I copy whenever I am trying on new clothes.

This movie made me laugh out loud more than any movie in the last three years and so: 4.5/5

Morse
Jul 11, 2001

everyone's out to get you motherfucker
I've always loved Stiller, Wilson and Farrell and I have to admit the first time I watched this movie I thought of it as meh. Over the next week I'd probably watched it at least once a day, it definitely grew on me. Now I constantly quote it and even got some of my friends hooked on it.

4/5

Petrockstealer
Sep 1, 2003

by Eris Is Goddess
I'm sure someone was trying to make some kind of point but I declare it a total failure. I hate every theme of this movie and I don't think they did a good enough job mocking these themes.

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Aunt Jemima - Goddess of Love
This movie has a few funny parts, but besides that, it mostly sucks.

2/5

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
This just might be my favorite comedy of all time. Every scene in this movie is hilarious. I would say this is the best Ben Stiller/Owen Wilson movie after The Royal Tenenbaums. The two are hardly comparable, though. Zoolander is machinegun silly humor and TRT is more serious and mature. Stupid humor at its absolute best.

5/5

Bun Bun
Apr 7, 2002

Fear The Bunny
this still is the dumbest movie i have ever seen. Unfortunately i dont associate humor or laughter with said dumbness leaving nothing but the worst movie i have ever seen. I still curse my sister for leaving it in my VCR one day and curiosity just had to take its course.
0/5

vrains
Mar 20, 2004
I loved this movie. Very stupid, though. It is, although, one of the only movies that I can watch over and over and over without getting tired of. If you're in a mood where you just want to zone out and watch a funny movie, this is a good one.

4.5/5

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

When I first saw this movie, I didn't know what to expect. I had heard good, had heard bad, but by the time I had finsihed, I was REELING with laughter.

There is just about nothing in this movie I didn't like. Every time I watch it, I bust out in laughter, and I know practically every line in the movie. So many lines in that movie are so great...

"I thought someone would be saying our eugooglies"
"I INVENTED the piano key necktie! What've you done? NOTHING! NOTHING!"
"But why models?" >> "What, are, are you kidding me? We just went over that"
"Oh, you're excused. And I'm not your 'bra'"
"And that's when I became bulemic." >> "You can read minds?"
"You have twelve, hundred, messages" >> "That is a bit above average"
"That's bullshit! Mugatu's a dick. He tried to brainwash Derek to kill the claymation dude"
"But he won't be looking for not us."

Then there's the coal mining/Mer-man/call from God sequence, Hansel's scooter, Mugatu's costumes, orange mocha frappucinos, gasoline fight, breakdance fighting, Derelicte models, the center for kids who can't read good and want to learn to do other things good too ("A center for ANTS?"), and the fact that Derek has that look during the ENTIRE movie. That takes dedication. And a billion other awesome things.

Did you know Andy Dick is the hideous masseuse in the secret Daiye Spa?

Totally one of the best movies I've ever seen. Just as quotable as the classics like Holy Grail and in my opinion, it deserves a spot up there with them. The first time through, the thing that had me laughing the most was after he left the bar when his dad told him off, he looks to the sky and his cell phone goes off. He pulls the little chiclet sized thing opens it up, and when he's asked if he knows who it is, he just says "GOD?!". Not the funniest part of the movie to me anymore, but still a great sequence. Just watched it again 3 days ago and it felt just as funny as the first time.

5/5

VerbalGimp
May 22, 2001
Woman, get back in here and make me a sandwich!
I blindly bought this on DVD because it was cheap and I like Owen Wilson. It didn't look very good based on the commercials, but I really enjoyed it. It's dumber than Dumb And Dumber, but almost as funny. I usually hate Will Ferrell, but I didn't mind him in this movie. The scene with David Duchovny is great.

mojo868
Jan 13, 2004
Garrett
MER MAN dad, MER MAN!!

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
Many parts were stupid funny. Very little "think about it then you'll get it" humor. It's funny and worth seeing if you like Ben Stiller, or if you think models are a joke.

MadSketcher
Aug 7, 2002

A plague of faggotry upon thee!
I watched it with a friend after a lot of :420: and we both agreed that it was just... strange. It was also incredibly stupid. Stupid and strange, with NOTHING ELSE. I did laugh a few times, but it was pretty bad.

1/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I like Ben Stiller a lot, but prior to this movie I really disliked Will Ferrell for some reason. Not true anymore. I think it's hilarious. 4/5