Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
Directed by: Mimi Leder
Starring: Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt

Director: Mimi Leder
Starring: Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt
Plot: A yong implements a "pay it forward" policy in which, when someone pays you a favour, instead of repaying them, you "pay it forward"
Views: Sappy, oversentimental and overly preachy... but the final scene nearly had me in tears (shut up i was 14)

The setting of Las Vegas as a backdrop is a wise choice given the nature of Trevor's actions.

An excellent score by Thomas Newman, and a great, if overwrought performance by Kevin Spacey make this a definite tear jerker :cry:

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadGimpy
Jan 19, 2004

I need more ammo!
My hatred of Haley Joel Osment aside, this was actually a nice feel-good movie. But I really hate that kid. 3/5

I Hate Emo
Mar 21, 2004

by elpintogrande
I LOVED this movie until the ending, which instead having me in tears, pissed me off. It felt forced, manipulative, and unnecessary. The idea is wonderful, and makes you think that people can really be good at heart. Bon Jovi was, surprisingly enough, good in this.

3/5 because of the ending

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

quote:

BadGimpy came out of the closet to say:
My hatred of Haley Joel Osment aside, this was actually a nice feel-good movie. But I really hate that kid. 3/5

Then you liked the ending?

I thought it was ok for what it was trying to do, but it was a little heavy-handed in the "son trying to teach his mother how to live" kind of way. Also the person with the ugly outside but good inside falling for the pretty outside but ugly inside has been done to death.

3/5 only because the story was coherent.

Dunefar
Nov 20, 2003

Killer.
The movie even wasn't a bad idea for a kiddie, feel good flick. It's just the fact that it was far too overdone for my tastes. A bit of restraint would have done this wonders. 1/5.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
God-awful piece of poo poo. The message was empty, the plot was contrived, the actors were bland and the ending was a hamfisted ploy to get the audience weeping. Haley Joel Osment had no idea how to play a child.

One.

aos
Mar 4, 2004
I thought the concept was great, but it was mired by being an infamous and cliched melodrama movie.
3/5.

Manic Shampoo
Feb 9, 2004

Arriba! Arriba! Andale! Andale!
I love this movie.

The fact that it was a feel good movie...then had THAT ending sort of really hit me.

5/5

Princeps
Sep 11, 2003
Decent movie with some interesting characters, but the ending hurt. Totally unneccesary and contrived. The whole subplot leading up to it was pretty stupid too.

3/5

coke mirror
Feb 16, 2004
what the christ bought me this account but he's making me buy my own god damn custom title

quote:

Dunefar came out of the closet to say:
The movie even wasn't a bad idea for a kiddie, feel good flick. It's just the fact that it was far too overdone for my tastes. A bit of restraint would have done this wonders. 1/5.

You said it. To much drama for one movie with a simple message. All the overblown plot gnarls ruined any hope of it being a simply pleasant movie.

1/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPopper 2.0
Jul 14, 2001

This movie is pointlessly overdramatic and over-sentimental, the uneven script just bounces around from one sappy scene to another, and known android Haley Joel Osment fails at his pretending to be a human child (the scene where he watches wrestling had me cringing). Having bad things happen to everybody in the story doesn't develop their characters, it just gives you a way to distinguish between all the cardboard people: "Scarface", "Punching Bag", "Wide-Eyed Kid", etc.
I did give it a free point for Thomas Newman's score and the fact that Bon Jovi shows up later in the movie. 1/5