Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Aunt Jemima - Goddess of Love
Directed by: Jay Levey
Starring: "Weird Al" Yankovic, Michael Richards

Plot Synopsis (semi-spoliers within, after first paragraph):

George Newman (played by Yankovic) can't seem to hold onto a job very long. His uncle wins a old UHF station that is almost bankrupt, and puts Newman in charge of the station.

Eventually, he becomes frusterated with the kids show that he's running, and Newman walks off the stage, offering the on screen job to his janitor, Stanley Spadowski (played by Michael Richards (Kramer in Seinfeld, for all the Seinfeld nuts out there)). Spadowski becomes an instant hit, and generates new life for the station, and begins to push the major network out of the top ratings.

The major network goes after the UHF Station, trying to gain ratings back. Hilarity ensues. Sometimes cheesy, but usually entertaining (the CEO of the station (RJ Fletcher) is played by Kevin McCarthy (formerly of The Twilight Zone (Original episode - Long Live Walter Jameson & the Twilight Zone movie)), Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and for all of you gamer goons, The Tex Murphy Interactive Movie- "The Pandora Directive")

-------

This movie was a lot better than I thought. Before I watched it, I thought that my friends were nuts for thinking that it was even remotely funny. I stand corrected.

4/5.

PROS: Suprisingly funny, parodys are GREAT.
CONS: Cheesy at times, however this is intentional

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
Any movie that has ninjas hosting a game-show called Wheel of Fish can't be wrong. After watching this movie I believe you are sent a card to fill out in order to become one of Al Yankovic's cult following. At least, I know I did.

(good movie)

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

"SUPPLIES!!!"

The sheer amount of wacky humor in UHF that actually works is amazing, and Weird Al plays his role very well.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
This is a really fun movie, similiar to Top Secret! and other parody films of the eighties, though it doesn't stick to a single genre or style like Airplane! did. I've been a fan of this movie for a long time, and every few months or so I discover a new reference in it when watching an old movie.

Boy Named Sue
Apr 19, 2003

YARRRRRR!!!
A great cult classic film. One of my top 10 of all time.

"You get to drink from...THE FIRE HOSE!!"

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Wheel of Fish!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Loved this movie, it has its flaws, but very good. Got it on DVD, it's available for around $10.

The Rambo parody scene, involving spontaneous explosions of normally uncombustible things, as well as Weird Al's insane take on a "war face", gets me every time, absolutely hilarious.

Although a bit dated now, this movie was perfect for its time, and still holds up as a cult classic.

4/5.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa
I love this movie. I pray to god that he makes another one.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I hate Weird Al and his music but I love this movie.

Moosk
Nov 15, 2003
Great loving movie, I loved the crazy scientist part of the show.

No plot, really, but who loving cares? It's weird al, and a bunch of hilarious fake TV shows.

5/5

Skroob
Dec 18, 2001
I can't make decisions! I'm a President!
I ranted about this movie to my roommate for years after catching it on TV at some point. I'd seen it a few times a while ago, he had never seen it. Then I bought it on DVD, and we sat down to watch it. It wasn't as funny as I remembered. He was unimpressed. But hell, I still like it, still have the DVD, and I watched it the other day and I think it got funnier since college. I'd say 4/5.

The_Yeti_Hunter
Jan 29, 2004
SPATULA CITY spatula city!

Terrific movie. I laughed so hard at the firehose part I cried.

5/5

FBz
Mar 8, 2004
FatboYgw got me this account for my birthday!
Classic film

I'm thinking of something orange....

5/5

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This movie is possibly my favorite comedy of all-time. When I saw Weird Al in concert last July, I got to meet him after the show and as a result the cover of my UHF DVD is signed by the man himself.

heineken
Mar 2, 2004
green meany
"The turtle is nature's suction cup! See?! It sticks!"

Love this movie. The face the camera man makes after
one scene is possibly the funniest recorded moment ever.
O course I cant remember it now.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
"Today, we're going to teach poodles how to fly!"

ARFARFARFARFARFARF*THUD*

"Aw, man..."

Toadsoup
Apr 10, 2004
I'm the god-damn govenor's son
It's a pretty neato movie.

Definatly on the top of Weird Al's stash of work.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
"My moooooppppppppppppp!"

I love the gently caress out of this movie.

5/5

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
I hate myself for doing this but...

3/5 - Good film, but totally uneven.

PS - WHEEL OF FISH!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Arguably the funniest movie I've ever seen, although it does have some minor flaws. They don't come close to outweighing the sheer insanity and immense entertainment value, though.

4.5/5

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
This is a great movie. A total cult classic with very memorable moments.

4/5

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
DON'T YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THE DEWEY DECIMAL SYSTEM?????

Hilarious movie.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I love this to death, but given the nature of the film (whacky parody) your mileage may vary. 4.5/5 for me.

"Robert"
May 24, 2001

The Go-To Guy for Kitten Pics
This was my favorite movie when I was nine. Its not quite as funny now as it was then, but it still has its moments. 4/5

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster
loving hilarious.

The faces Al makes and the way he screams during the Rambo parody (best part of the movie) is simply priceless.

4/5

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
UHF used to be one of my favorite movies. It's still a lot of fun to watch (and it's one of the few movies I own on DVD), but many of the jokes and sight gags haven't stood up to the test of time.

4/5, even though Weird Al deserves a 5/5 just for being Weird Al.

linus the bear
Sep 12, 2003

"What's inside the box!?"

*lifts up box*

"NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! STOOPAD! YOU SO STOOPADDD!!!!!"

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

There are some unintentionally cheesy parts in the movie, since it was made in the 80s, but I do enjoy the UHF. I wish there was a "definitive" version, since I remember when it's played on local stations or HBO, there are some scenes that weren't in the theatrical version or on DVD.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Absolutely hilarious. I love all the completely silly parodies that his daydreams consist of. 4.5/5.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
This movie is one of my all time favorites.. The parodies are sharp and on target throughout most of the movie. 4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potions Master
Feb 10, 2004

by Lowtax
I have no idea why or how this movie works, but it kinda does. It should go in the pile with other OMG SO WACKY eighties parody movies, which I hate for the most part, but somehow this one has charm. A lot of charm.

The parodies are actually pretty funny in a lot of cases, and there's just so much goofiness that's actually fun. Wheel of Fish, drinking from the fire hose, Ghandi II, the Rambo parody, everything Emo Phillips says, Spatula City ("OK kids, let's go!") and dear god never let us forget Conan the Librarian - tons of simple, basic, silliness that just plain works in a way that you rarely see. I like this movie almost as much now as when I was 10, and that's not something I can say for many old favorites. Good, clean fun that actually holds up is worthy of praise in my opinion. Gotta knock a little bit off for a certain amount of unintentional cheesiness, but overall a fantastic effort and ultimately a good flick.

4/5