Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Directed by: NMN
Starring: Film Dump Moderators

Stop with the discussing of the myriad points of your favourite / most hated move in TFD.

If you want to discuss how Gandalf's beard was all CGI or how Goku Vs. Pikachu was expertly animated, make a thread about it in GBS.

Don't do it in here.

I've worn the print off my Edit button getting rid of 'OMG I agree', 'But what did you think of this bit? I thought...' and 'No, that's wrong; here's what...' posts.

Any post that has opinions on the film in question as well as quoted comments on previous posts, I've left alone; I'd have to edit about 70% of the posts in the Film Dump if I did.

Stop.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Hilarious Edits
CONS: Wears out the Edit button

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Actually, I'll leave this open so people who don't get that discussion != review can whine that I edited their posts... :)

StupidFatHobbit
Jan 15, 2004
I know where you're going with all this but sometimes its hard NOT to discuss the movie. I know that each thread is simply supposed to be a list of movie reviews and nothing more, but its a film forum and people want to discuss their films. We'll all get used to it sooner or later though.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Maybe the quote button should be removed so that people don't have that immediate ability to just take what someone else said and reply directly to it.

Aberration
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

StupidFatHobbit came out of the closet to say:
I know where you're going with all this but sometimes its hard NOT to discuss the movie. I know that each thread is simply supposed to be a list of movie reviews and nothing more, but its a film forum and people want to discuss their films. We'll all get used to it sooner or later though.

Which is exactly why GBS Exists. I thought that NoneMoreNegative made that clear. If you want to discuss what you thought of a film, click GBS, click post and title it "Hae guys I just saw Pulp Fiction lets talk about the Royal With Cheese scene"

From what I understand, the good types of responses are adding your own little review and what you did/did not like about it, but don't start arguing with people about it because this isn't what this forum is about.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I agree, but also, can you just delete the posts? Some threads having five or so "READ THE RULES" isn't that great either, but I don't know if mods have the power to delete posts or just edit them.

Also, I don't know if you need to edit everything you're choosing to edit. I am not sure, because once a post is edited, I can't see what the infraction was anymore, so I may be wrong. But I know I had one of my posts edited where I said, "A lot of people gave this movie a 1 but didn't post anything, anyone care to say why they did not like this movie?"

You changed it to READ THE RULES but basically, that's exactly what I was responding to, one of isnoop's rules:
"If you vote an extreme high or low or you vote against the general concensus, be prepared to give at least a little insight into your decision."

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

quote:

StupidFatHobbit came out of the closet to say:
Yeah it's a tough call, and there's still a learning curve for me and I guess, a few others.
But basically, I think, the main thing to consider isn't so much what other people are pointing out but: Do you recommend this movie?

With recent releases, if you come here and post, there doesn't seem much point in also discussing it in GBS. But that will happen. Van Helsing, no. Troy, Stepford Wives maybe. Spider-Man 2, more than likely.

quote:

Fast Luck came out of the closet to say:
I said, "A lot of people gave this movie a 1 but didn't post anything, anyone care to say why they did not like this movie?"
Well, if "a lot of people gave this movie a 1", then I'd say that's the general consensus.
1 - not worth talking about. 5 - let it speak for itself.
It's really the 2.0's to 4.0's that deserve some comments.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 8, 2004

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

quote:

Binary Logic came out of the closet to say:

I disagree. In the Spaceballs thread, there is a single vote for 1. No explanation. First, how the gently caress can you HATE this movie? Nevermind, that's not important in this thread. However, it IS important in THAT thread. I'd really like to know what kind of freak hates Spaceballs that much, so I can avoid him at all costs. Probably eats babies. It'd be nice if you couldn't vote the extremes unless you posted why, but that's probably impossible.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

quote:

Binary Logic came out of the closet to say:
Well, if "a lot of people gave this movie a 1", then I'd say that's the general consensus.
1 - not worth talking about. 5 - let it speak for itself.
No, the average was pretty high, around a 4. It was the Mean Girls thread and 8 or 9 posts got edited.
Plus, I hope he wasn't too upset about all the people breaking the reviews only rule in that thread, because it was one of the first threads and that wasn't really even a well-known rule at the time.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Congratulations to all involved!

I think I'll give up... You fuckwits just don't get it.

Girl Gamer
Sep 5, 2000

by Fragmaster
How can this forum work if you basically aren't allowed to acknowledge anyone elses posts about the same movie. This is still a forum, and it's always going to happen, you'll give yourself an aneurysm trying to stop it. What are people supposed to do if they really want to know why somebody said whatever it is they did in a review? take it to gbs?

I realize it will be messy with people discussing the movie, but trying to police people to not discuss on a messageboard will be quite a feat, even here

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

quote:

NoneMoreNegative came out of the closet to say:

To be fair, all of those posts up to my last one were made before it was even asked/clarified that this forum was to be for reviews ONLY and no discussion in the suggestion thread. And I was basing it off isnoop's rules post, which has

quote:

This forum is all about goon-written movie reviews and discussions thereof.

As the second line, and should probably be edited to reflect that that's not accurate any more.

Angry Communist
Oct 11, 2003

I'm about to break!
A great idea, but stale execution with cliched and the same old characters.

1/5

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

quote:

Kruller came out of the closet to say:
I disagree. In the Spaceballs thread, there is a single vote for 1. No explanation. First, how the gently caress can you HATE this movie? Nevermind, that's not important in this thread. However, it IS important in THAT thread. I'd really like to know what kind of freak hates Spaceballs that much, so I can avoid him at all costs. Probably eats babies. It'd be nice if you couldn't vote the extremes unless you posted why, but that's probably impossible.
taking response to this point over to discussion thread.

quote:

Fast Luck came out of the closet to say:
No, the average was pretty high, around a 4. It was the Mean Girls thread and 8 or 9 posts got edited.
Still, if 'many' people vote a certain way, there's probably a valid reason.
OTOH, you might be right that people voting 1 didn't even see that movie.
I absolutely hated Zoolander, and wouldn't even bother to look for a thread on that piece of crap, let alone go out of my way to place a vote.

My question though is, can we reference other movies in a discussion. For example, are we allowed to say something like, "Forget Mean Girls, go rent Jawbreakers instead". Or the flip side of that, 'if you liked Jawbreakers, go see Mean Girls'
?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 9, 2004

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Isn't 'discussion' sort of part of reviews? I mean there's a line when it's too much but saying some comments is hard not to do and not very annoying anyway.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
If discussions are to happen in GBS, just make sure to let everyone there know about it, too, otherwise every movie thread there will be littered with dozens of "there is a forum for movies, close thread" replies.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Maybe there should be a separate discussion thread for each film. Discussion in one, reviews in the other. That way if you want to talk about someone's review you post a quote of it in the discussion thread.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Hey, just wondering, if you throw a random vote way off the marker, is hell to be paid?

It's so tempting to put a 5.5 on House of the Dead :(

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Why not make a subforum that automatically creates a new thread based on a review that is posted, linked directly below the review? Here's a rudimentary example of what I'm talking about.

quote:

Title: Armadeggon
Starring: A bunch of overpaid assholes
Director: Some dipshit

This movie is worse than the holocaust. Blah blah blah blah blah

PROS: It eventually ended.
CONS: It sucked donkey nuts.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
DISCUSSION: http://forums.somethingawful.com/.../10354205252235

I don't know what the feasability of a concept like this is, but given the amount of hacking that's already been performed on this forum, I don't think it would be a big problem. This way, The Film Dump is for reviews exclusively, and Unnamed Subforum is for Discussion of said movies\reviews. Then again, this might also be totally redundant, in which case ignore my suggestion and never speak of it again.

Dr. Klahn
Nov 24, 2003

hi
I really don't understand why discussion of a film is so terrible. Not many non-recent films get talked about in GBS.

Wacky Iraqi
Dec 24, 2002
Seriously...what's so wrong with discussing the film?

Prent
Sep 18, 2003

The.

quote:

Wacky Iraqi came out of the closet to say:
The mods have already said that any movie discussions should be kept to GBS. This should be reason enough. However... This is a forum for movie reviews. When a person reads a movie review, they want to see short, concise reviews of the movie, not long drawn out discussions about every last detail of the movie. Also, if I'm reading a movie review, I don't want to see spoilers, so they should be kept in a discussion thread in GBS.

quote:

Dr. Klahn came out of the closet to say:
Not many non-recent films get talked about in GBS.
There is nothing stopping you from posting a new thread about a non-recent film in GBS. Many people read GBS and you can get a discussion going on just about anything.

Prent fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 13, 2004

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like seeing the discussions alongside the reviews. Maybe there should be a way to flag your post as a review when posting? The posts marked as reviews could go at the top of the thread so they are the first thing you see; any discussion posts could still be there but after all the reviews.

no v.20
Jun 26, 2002

Just a quick question and this seemed like the most applicable place. If we want to review a DVD, meaning, the extras, cut scenes, etc... should we start a new thread reviewing the dvd as a whole or just mention it in the film for the movie (if one exists)?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

quote:

no v.20 came out of the closet to say:
Just a quick question and this seemed like the most applicable place. If we want to review a DVD, meaning, the extras, cut scenes, etc... should we start a new thread reviewing the dvd as a whole or just mention it in the film for the movie (if one exists)?
I think you should just mention it in the review if you need/want to, otherwise if folks start a new thread just for the DVD the place would soon get cluttered with duplicate reviews.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
GBS really isn't a great place to discuss films really. Most people end up posting crap image macros and making the typical funny stuff, which isnt bad, but its not movie discussion. Most people posting here want to discuss in a manner that weeds out the pot shots and goofy one liners that exist in most GBS movie threads.

In short, we need a serious movie discussion forum.

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
Are comments on factual errors in a review permitted? Again, it's a factual error and not anything subjective that would lead to discussion.

Arm Unit 700
Sep 13, 2003

buh?

quote:

Wacky Iraqi came out of the closet to say:
I agree, and when the forum was first made I thought that's what its main purpose would be.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Please, please if you're going to put in a spoiler, put the WHOLE drat SENTANCE IN SPOILER TAGS!! Blacking out a single word does not keep you from spoiling the loving thing.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK

quote:

Many people came out of the closet to say:
I want movie discussion

quote:

Lowtax, that dude who does stuff with the internet and stuff, came out of the closet to say:
it's a movie REVIEW forum, not a movie DISCUSSION forum. As it has already been stated, if you want to discuss the movie, then do it in GBS. We want this forum to be a useful tool for people debating if they should see a movie or not, and discussing a film simply means that you'll be giving away a lot of plot points and will ruin the film for the people reading the review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moosk
Nov 15, 2003

quote:

NoneMoreNegative came out of the closet to say:

This isn't all that important, but pretty much all of those posts you edited were all posted 5 days before this thread.

edit: guess they(me) just didn't see the post by lowtax :/