Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Directed by: Henry Bean
Starring: Ryan Gosling

The Believer is loosely based on a true story of a neo-nazi youth who used to be an orthodox jew. The movie follows his every day life and his association with his neo-nazi gang and other left-wing elements, including a bourgeois nazi group with intentions of disturbing the Hebrew world with more than words. The theme of the movie seems less to be a study of hate, but a study of faith in this young man's life. There are some particularly stirring scene; one sequence that is quite poignant is when Ryan Gosling's character is at a neo-nazi "retreat" and he is alone in his room, fixing a Hebrew scroll(the Torah) from a synagogue that he and his comrades have recently vandalized. Later on in the sequence, you see him in front of a mirror rapped in a ceremonial sheet, his right hand up in a nazi salute and singing a nazi hymn. The juxtaposition of emotions that his face shows are amazing.

RATING: 5

PROS: Amazing acting, interesting message and great cinematography.
CONS: Ending seemed a bit tacked on...

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0331516/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I give it a 5.

Probably one of my favorite movies of all time.
I recommend it everyone I meet.