Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Directed by: Kazuhisa Takenôchi
Starring: The music of Daft Punk

In the far reaches of space, an alien pop group playing in concert finds themselves abducted by mysterious space commandos from beyond. But as a heroic space pilot speeds off to the rescue, crash landing on a planet we like to call Earth, it soon becomes apparent that these kidnappers will be using the musicians for their own devious plans…

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem is the feature length collaboration between anime legend Leiji Matsumoto (Captain Harlock) and French musical duo Daft Punk. Originally only partially screened in the form of individual music videos ("One More Time", "Aerodynamic", "Digital Love", and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"; the first four segments), in 2003 the project was finally completed and this 68 minute film encompasses all the tracks from their 2001 album Discovery.

I first saw the music video for the catchy “One More Time” sometime in 2001. Being an anime fan, loving the music and intrigued by the initial four videos and their overarching storyline, I soon snapped up the album and waited patiently for the release of the full length film, hoping to find out what lay in store.

More than two years later, I was not disappointed.

Interstella 5555 is a fantastic audio/visual spectacular filled with gorgeous animation, great music (if you don’t mind Daft Punk) and most surprisingly a very compelling plot with some great moments and even a few twists and turns. Whilst it does drag on near the end (which is mainly due to conforming to the tracks on the album), the story is quite involving and the film is more than just a glorified music video.

Highly recommended.

4.5/5

PROS: A surprisingly compelling story, great animation, finding out how it all ends!
CONS: Don’t like Daft Punk? Well you have to put up with their music the whole way through.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368667/

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 15, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yurpdod
May 31, 2003

I really liked this movie. I like Daft Punk and the movie is just so drat stylish. The story is complex enough to be interesting, but simple enough to be easily understood considering that the movie has no dialogue (It's kind of a rock-opera).

ubiquitous rex
Oct 28, 2003

Mullet power!
As both a huge fan of animation of any kind and Daft Punk it's not surprising I think this movie is awesome.

WhiteLiteSunburn
Apr 10, 2004
Fascists do it for the Fatherland.
I loved this movie. i'd easily give it a 4.5

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.
I was surprised at how emotionally involved I became in the story despite the cartoon characters, the outrageous plot and the complete lack of dialogue. It's weird how music (and good filmmaking I guess) can have that effect on you.

Great old-school animation and great music - easily 4.5 from me.

Alekanderu fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 25, 2006

Krat
Nov 20, 2002

at least its not my arm
I find myself watching this once every few weeks. The music is superb (Daft Punk's best album by far), the animation is bright and wonderful, and the story dosen't need dialouge to be explained.

This is a great movie to watch while in an altered state of mind, in my opinion.

5/5

saeal
Aug 30, 2004

Salute to the flying fish brigade.
How could anyone not like the scene for Digital Love!?
Bright, fluid animation well infused with great music. No dialog needed.

4.5/5

Surly
Oct 3, 2003
Looks out for one guy; Surly
Let me start by saying that I Daft Punk has produced some of my favorite music of all time, and that I really don't care for anime.

I love this movie. The songs make the atmospheres for all the scenes in the movie, and it is done brilliantly. Even for those that don't really like the anime style, give this one a shot if you like groovy-sounding techno.

5/5. Normally the anime would have taken away from the score, but I really think that it was a perfect "medium" to use this soundtrack with.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Really entertaining and worth seeing, but drags somewhat at certain points. Overall a fun experience.

The retro style and feel of the whole thing is superb, and I wouldn't change a thing there though.

4.5/5

Imperialist Sugar
Jun 4, 2005
YUM.

saeal posted:

How could anyone not like the scene for Digital Love!?
Bright, fluid animation well infused with great music. No dialog needed.

4.5/5

My favorite scene.

I'm not a big Daft Punk nor anime fan but a friend reccomended I watch this movie. I wasn't familiar with most of their songs, but I still very much enjoyed watching it as much as my friend did.

ProfMonnitoff
Mar 18, 2006

by Lowtax
There is not a single movie which I have watched more often that "Interstella 5555". Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge Daft Punk fan. I heard them the first time when a local alternative radio station played a recording of "Alive 1997". I have bought every album since then, even "Human After All" and "Musique", both of which were not nearly as good as the previous albums.
Anyways, I consider "Discovery" to be their best album ever. While it broke many of the traditions formed in "Homework", it was simply a masterpiece. No album has provoked so many different moods from me, and I just love this album for what it is. I can relax to this album, I can cry to this album, and I can dance to it. Not many CDs do this. "Discovery" has been with me in the best of times and in the worst of times.

That being said, when a movie based on the Album, I was one of the first to see it.

The movie is a flawless work of art. The animation is absolutely perfect, always in rhythm with the music. There is an incredible amount of detail, and many things which hardly any animes get done. Awesome blur effects, stuff like that. Environments are drawn beautifully, and people have the cold, lifeless effect which the movie tries to portray.

It is important to see just how effective the visuals are, and the best way to do this is to realize that there is no speech in the entire movie (some songs have vocals, but they are only used to create a certain mood), and yet a story is portrayed which has more depth and emotion that most other movies.

I could go on here, but it would just be fanboyish ramblings. Interstella 5555 is just the best movie ever.

5.5/5

Crazy Eye Joe
Apr 12, 2006
It's a very enjoyable movie, but I think that the tracks after Voyager are a bit boring. I also thought that the animation kind of lost touch with the music near the end. If it was as good as up to the end of Voyager all the way through I'd give it a 5/5. As it is, I still give it a solid 4/5. Great movie.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I love Daft Punk but I hate anime. I still really enjoyed this movie, the visuals were great. In fact the only part of the anime that I didn't like in this was the drummer and everyone who looked like him. That style just bugs the living snot out of me. Everything else I could tolerate, and the surreal worlds they created were stunning. The colors are vivid and overall watching what someone else thought as the music plays is a very interesting experience. I wish more people would do this.

4/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way
This is the type of movie where you wonder if the music was made for the musical or if the musical was made for the music.

5/5 easily.