Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Harvey Keitel, Michael Madsen, Tim Roth, Steve Buscemi, Lawrence Tierney

This is one of those movies I thought was great before I'd actually seen any movies. At the time, Reservoir Dogs was, to me, the bleeding edge of independent cinema; something just popular enough to hear of, but obscure enough that it would sound good mentioning among my favourite movies. I remember never actually liking it, just wanting people to think I did.

I think that feeling sums up Tarantino perfectly. His movies are purely ego-driven; plagiarized craftily enough to toe that line of "homage" to the original, but at the same time, packaged as original with direct ties to the original material tread over. He also has the writing style of one of those awful, early-90s, minuta-obsessed nerds who's absolutely enthralled with his own meticulously-rendered, show-offy inner dialogue. So you end up with something like the "Like a Virgin" discussion that sounds like a bunch of different characters spouting the same rear end in a top hat's pointless ideas. Everything that takes place in Reservoir Dogs does so to facilitate Tarantino and his altar of cinema's historical record, rather than any love for the story.

Reservoir Dogs isn't even remotely entertaining. It's more of a test, a right-of-passage for the not-quite-serious movie folks who don't dig farther than Tarantino, Fight Club, or Kevin Smith movies to affirm their "superior taste in movies". It's boring, overtalkative masturbation.

RATING: 1

PROS: Seems laughably dated now.
CONS: Not even remotely worth anybody's time.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105236/

NADZILLA fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 21, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vrains
Mar 20, 2004
This is one of my favorite movies. Slick, incredibly well acted, and cool dialogue. I bought it for one of my friends for a birthday present, and he disliked it because there was so much talking. So as NADZILLA said, if you don't like talking, you won't like this one.

5/5

Ryan
Sep 11, 2001
This movie is pure Tarantino. And being that it was such a low-budget film, it relied on the dialogue more than special effects and flash, and did a great job.

Also, it's worth mentioning a plot twist. As IMDB.com says:

quote:

Their simple robbery explodes into a bloody ambush, and the ruthless killers realise one of them is a police informer. But which one?
My favorite part was with the cop minus his ear.

secular darwinism
Apr 19, 2003

Is this what you want them teaching your children?
I thought this was very good, except one scene was so painful to watch it overshadowed the enjoyment I got from the rest of the movie. Voted 3.0, because there's still some value in watching it if you have the foresight to fast forward at the appropriate time.

TheMaestro
Aug 14, 2002
:love: Tarantino :love:

4.5/5

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!
Good Film, but not QT's best. Interesting to see the way the plot unfolds, but I have definately seen better in the genre.

3.5/5

Scar Trek
Mar 6, 2002

I was here before this cliché crap and I'll be here long after it's cold and raped and dead in the ground.
One of my favourites in my collection. The casting is perfect, and the script plays so excellently on that. These two elements overshadow EVERYTHING else, and present you with a movie about a bunch of guys who seem extremely cool, yet at the same time feel like real people. There are scenes where you feel like you're sitting around with a few friends listening to their amusing banter or weird philosophies. I don't know how much was actual script, and how much was incredible improv from the actors involved, but it works. You actually begin to care strongly about some of the characters, which is always a real achievement, and it makes the movie extremely engaging.

For a Tarantino flick about black-suited criminals, I'd take Pulp Fiction any day, but Reservoir Dogs stands excellently on it's own two feet, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes movies full of ridiculously slick dialogue.

4.5/5

ubiquitous rex
Oct 28, 2003

Mullet power!
The first time I saw this movie I thought it was a cynical circle-jerk for sadistic hipsters. But after another viewing I can say that the characterization, despite some of the pettier dialogue, is actually very effective. As people have been saying, you really get to care about Tim Roth and Harvey Keitel, especially.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
beautiful movie, i saw it after i saw pulp fiction, so i already loved Quentin, definitely go get this movie, 5/5

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

The dialogue, as said several times, catches and keeps your attention. You could probably just listen to the entire movie with eyes closed and still enjoy it. I'd even go so far as to say I liked this movie as much as Pulp Fiction.

I also enjoyed the musical choices accompanying many scenes in the movie, particularly the one with Madsen and the cop. =) 4

Bun Bun
Apr 7, 2002

Fear The Bunny
This is one of the best movies i have ever seen. Never have i seen so much done in a movie with so little money. Dont get me wrong though, i love those kind of big bugdet productions like Lord of the RIngs or True Lies but this movie drove it self with awesome characters and kick rear end dialogue. Tarentino hasn't done a better film since. Yes even over kill bill.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I really didn't care for this movie. Tarantino is always hit or miss with me, and Reservoir dogs just seems to be everything about QT that I dislike. 50% of the movie is scenes of horribly bloody wounds and torture, and the other half is complicated and convoluted. The story isn't half bad, but the plot is hard to see through the gallons of fake blood soaking through every porous surface in the movie. The acting is great, but most of it is screaming and people begging for mercy.

I loved Pulp Fiction and kill bill, but RD just wasn't a very enjoyable movie. I can only give it 1 and a half stars.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
Any fan of Reservoir Dogs is encouraged to track down the movie City on Fire starring Chow Yun-Fat. Tarantino adapted the story from that film to make Reservoir Dogs, much as he adapted much of Lady Snowblood in making Kill Bill.

It seems that whenever I bring up this movie with friends or try to show it to them, I'm met with general disinterest. This baffles me, because I thought most people were of the opinion towards this movie represented by The Onion's Point/Counterpoint article ("Reservoir Dogs Was a Good Movie" vs "Reservoir Dogs is loving Awesome"), but apparently quite a few people find it very boring. Perhaps that's because the movie feels more like a stage play than a film; most of it takes place in one room due to the low budget. The low budget is probably also the reason behind Nice Guy Eddie dying despite not being shot. For ages I just figured Mr. White shot twice.

Whatever. I'm not really a Tarantino fan, but I liked this movie enough to buy it on DVD twice (darn special editions). 4.5/5.

PS: Steve Buscemi as Mr. Pink is the best character in the film, and I am disappointed that nobody has brought up either this or the fact that Steven Wright rules all.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 8, 2004

altie
Nov 12, 2000

SUSPICIOUS!

quote:

Daryl Surat came out of the closet to say:
It seems that whenever I bring up this movie with friends or try to show it to them, I'm met with general disinterest.
I liked this movie and would rate it 4 or 4.5/5, but I can see why some people don't get into it. It's pretty slowly paced compared to what you would probably expect from a crime drama, a Tarantino movie, or both. In particular I thought just about any scene with Joe dragged on, however necessary to the plot his presence was.

yosarian
Jan 22, 2002

"A chicken in every pot and a cap in every ass"
Of all of QT's movies, this is the best. There would have been no hype about Pulp Fiction is this underground, low budget cult classic hadn't been made.

Everytime I hear a 70's tune that was in this film, I think of a scene from the movie.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn
I'm a big fan of dialogue and of Quintin Tarrintino, so obviously this movie is one of my favorites. Great acting from all parties. As mentioned. Also, as mentioned, this is one of the most quotable movies around.

4.5/5