Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boy Named Sue
Apr 19, 2003

YARRRRRR!!!
Directed by: Tim Burton
Starring: Johnny Depp, Martin Landau, Sarah Jessica Parker, Bill Murray

So I'm guessing we've all heard of 'Plan 9 From Outer Space.' Whether you've seen it or not, it's universally regarded as the worst movie of all time. (Sorry Gigli) But how many of us really know the story of the man behind it all, Edward D Wood Jr?

Whether or not the story follows every little detail exactly as it happended, it's still one hellua entertaining movie. Johnny Depp (gay for Johnny) delivers another Oscar worthy perormance as the cross dressing, eccentric director Ed Wood. Depp goes all out and from his voice, even his physical appearance, one would almost have a hard time believing it's Johnny.

Just as amazing is Martin Landau as legendary screen icon Bela Lugosi. Thankfully, Landau won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his performance as Bela. Nice to see that at least SOMEBODY from this movie won an Oscar. Burton and Depp both got shafted.

This movie is supposed to be a Comedy/Drama and works just as that. There are moments in which you'll find yourself howling with laighter but in the long run, you almost walk away with a feeling of depression. Wood had no idea just how bad his movies really were. Each movie, he thought at least, was going to be a blockbuster with Citizen Kane like quality. However, one could also say the movie is encouraging. With each setback or crushing defeat, Depp's Wood would eagerly bounce back, ready for another round.

I highly suggest this movie and cannot wait till the DVD version is finally released.

RATING: 5.0

PROS: Johnny Depp and Martin Landau deliver Oscar worthy performances, fantastic direction by Burton
CONS: Nothing I can think of right now...

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0109707/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vrains
Mar 20, 2004
I agree 100% with DrGonzo, therefore writing a review would be redundant. Johnny Depp made me lol.

5/5

vrains fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 16, 2004

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Started off somewhat enjoyable but quickly over-stayed its welcome. Excessive length, I couldn't wait for it to end (and neither could any of the people I watched it with). Acting was fine, I just lost interest in the story fairly quickly. Depp and Landau were great and I enjoyed their performances, but after the initial Plan 9 filming scenes I quickly lost interest in the more personal plot(s). It's been a while since I've seen it so I can't be more specific, but I remember wishing it had ended about 30 minutes earlier than it did.

The characters were so weird that I had a hard time caring about what happened to them, since they didn't even seem remotely real, and I couldn't really feel myself pulling for Wood one way or the other.

I saw very little in the movie that justified its reputation to me, aside from the performances. Direction was nice, but not so amazing that I really noticed it.

2/5.

Bloated Pussy fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 16, 2004

Otradnoje
Apr 18, 2003

Favorite Burton film in retrospect.

I first caught this movie 3-4 years ago on HBO during an insomnia inspired 'surf-o-rama', the only thing I knew at the time about the movie was 'hey look, it's Johnny Depp and Bill Murray, this should be interesting'.

Boy was it.

Depp was born to play egocentric, semi-megolomaniacal characters, he blows away everyone elses performances as Wood, I can bet he did his research for the role.

Murray was the perfect sidekick, kinda low-key, even seemed lobotomized at times, but otherwise subtley funny as always.

Landau and Sarah 'The Nose' Jessica Parker play their parts well, but as I mentioned before, it's Depps overshadowing ala Pirates of the Carribean, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and Edward Swissorhands... (2nd favorite movie with Burton, coincidently staring Johnny) that make this movie worth seeing.

Think of it was watching a very WELL acted movie that would be feature on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

4.5/5

Otradnoje fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 16, 2004

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster
Before I saw this movie I thought Johnny Depp was a lovely actor. Crybaby loving sucked and even Winona Ryder could not save Edward Scissorhands.

This was the first movie where Johnny Depp truly blew me the gently caress away with his acting. Not to mention pretty much everyone else in the movie too. Even George Steele nailed his part perfectly.

Burton's directing is just awesome (as usual), and his choice to make it a black and white film made it even better. I just can't imagine seeing this story told like this in color.

Even though this isn't exactly Ed Wood's true story, it shows enough of his other-worldy-brilliant personality that you really kinda feel like you know him after the film ends. He had such a tremendous and unique personality that Depp really captures. It's really a shame his movies all sucked and that he turned into a terminally depressed alcoholic.

I also recommend watching the "Plan 9 Companion" documentary on the Plan 9 from Outer Space DVD. It's way longer than the Plan 9 movie and really fleshes out the history of Ed Wood and his hilariously atrocious films. Some of the people they interview are real nutjob types too. I'll quit now since I'm getting off topic.

5/5

Chief Rebel Angel fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 20, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamhead80
Apr 15, 2003

It's a Zen thing, like how many babies fit in a tire.
When Tim Burton is on, you get an excellent movie like this (and when he's off... well, Planet of the Apes comes to mind), and when you throw Johnny Depp into the mix you get one of my favorite movies of all time. Before I start creaming all over Johnny Depp like some pathetic fangirl, let me take a brief detour to the rest of the cast. Martin Landau was incredible as the aged and drug addicted Bela Lugosi; his friendship with Wood was so sweet and hosed up that I wanted to cry most of the time that they were together. The rest of the cast was spot on, even Sarah Jessica Parker who normally doesn't do much for me. Johnny Depp is truly one of the most underrated actors currently working; through his performance you see just how desperately Wood wants to be a good writer/director, despite the fact that he simply doesn't have the capability to be anything other than horrible.

5.5 out of 5