Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Directed by: Tsui Hark
Starring: Andy On, Traci Lords, Joe Polito

In Hak hap 2, newcomer Andy On is Black Mask, a genetically mutated super-soldier unable to have emotions searching for a geneticist who could possibly reverse his unfortunate condition.

Pursued by Kabal lookalike Dr. Lang, a fellow super-soldier ordered by the supercomputer Zeus to bring the fugitive back, Black Mask stumbles upon a mad scientist’s plan to combine animal and human DNA to form hybrid professional wrestlers that turn into killer mutants when they get excited.

I quite liked the first Black Mask. It had a derivative but solid story, great fight scenes and Jet Li kicking rear end all the while cementing himself as the ideal choice for Kato in The Green Hornet movie.

However, I’m far less fond of this sequel.

Here, director Tsui Hark, who produced the first film reimagines the character of Black Mask, turning the premise into B-grade comic book superhero style nonsense and continuing his post-Double Team slide into mediocrity.

Everything in City of Masks just came off really hokey to me, from the wacky plot to the lacklustre special effects and make up, moving on to the bad acting and the confusingly shot action sequences. Even fight director Yuen Woo-ping, who was also involved in the first fails to deliver, with some very half-arsed martial arts choreography in evidence.

I can't recommend this at all. Stick to the original and give Black Mask 2 a wide berth. You won’t be missing anything.

1/5

PROS: Andy On is competent as Black Mask.
CONS: The rest of the movie is not.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264429/

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 16, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moosk
Nov 15, 2003
Yeah, really dissapointing movie, it's obvious why they didn't actually get the first movie's actor back.

Cool fight scenes though, so,

2.0/5.0

KiKKoMaN85
Jan 27, 2004

Show me, show you.
Not an actual review, just a link.

Axl
Mar 9, 2005

by Ozma
3 for Tracy Lords and attempts at fight scenes, -2 for comic book mutation crap and utter cheesiness.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
The first one was okay, entertaining if not exactly a great movie. This one was just muddled and cheesy. But hey, with no Jet Li and a supporting cast like Traci Lords and WWE's Rob Van Dam, you can't really go in expecting all that much in the first place. I do like Tobin Bell though, but he was better in Saw and on 24.