Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Directed by: Don Chaffey
Starring: Todd Armstrong, Nancy Kovack, Honor Blackman as Hera (point of interest)

The director is Don Chaffey and the Jason is played by Todd Armstrong, but this will never be a Don Chaffey or a Todd Armstrong film. What it is is a Harryhausen film. There are several stunning sequences of Harryhausen's trademark stop animation, but the most famous is the skeleton sequence, for good reason. The effects are still fantastic to this day. There are several other great sequences as well, though: the Bronze god Talos and the nine-headed hydra for example.

The film chronicles Jason's mythic quest for the Golden Fleece across the world, accompanied on his ship the Argos by a crew of heroes, not the least of which is Hercules.

There are some interesting differences from the myth. Most importantly is the ending, which is predictably upbeat for the time. In the myth Jason and Medea end up despising each other and ultimately meet horrible ends. Another difference is the characterization of the Gods. Zeus isn't quite the prideful megalomaniac of myth, but more of a father figure who is very candid about the fate of the gods.

Also of note is the excellent score by Bernard Herrman.

Jason and the Argonauts is an excellent example of classic adventure film making.

RATING: 5

PROS: Classic Ray Harryhausen effects
CONS: Some might consider the effects dated (pish tosh)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057197/

Pascallion fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 17, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
The skeleton fight is one of my favorite action sequences in all of film history. A couple of weeks ago, Harryhausen was at the George Eastman House, and he introduced this film, and talked a bit about that famous scene. It was awesome to see it on the big screen for the first time, with the man behind it in attendence no less. Classic movie magic, and the best film featuring Harryhausen's work.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Absolutely. A lot of people seem to prefer Clash of the Titans, but I prefer Jason and the Argonauts in every department, including effects.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I was dissapointed in the Hydra fight, though it did look pretty cool the way the heads would attack. That, and without the Hydra teeth, we wouldn't have the badass skeleton fight.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

Good to watch on a boring Sunday afternoon. I would be interested in seeing a remake of this film.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

quote:

Ebjan came out of the closet to say:
Good to watch on a boring Sunday afternoon. I would be interested in seeing a remake of this film.

They did, actually. It was pretty decent too. It didn't have a skeleton fight though.

Edit: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217579/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Actually, the made for TV remake is a piece of poo poo. The acting is positively attrocious and the effects are in horrible CGI. Try going from Harryhausen masterpiece to that. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth.