Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Nitwit
Sep 11, 2001

I miss the 80s.
Directed by: Sam Wood
Starring: The Marx Bros., Allan Jones, Kitty Carlisle, Margaret Dumont

Funny, funny film. The Marx Brothers' first for MGM.

The plot is fairly straightforward: Otis B. Driftwood (Groucho) is out to swindle dowager socialite Mrs. Claypool (Margaret Dumont) via his position with the New York Opera Company, Fiorello (Chico) is out to screw over egotistical tenor Lassparri (Walter Woolf King) so that his friend Ricardo (Allan Jones, the best of the various ersatz-Zeppos that populated the Marxes later films) can get rich and marry Rosa (Kitty Carlisle), and Fiorello brings his friend Tomasso (Harpo) along for the ride. In between the plot points the Marxes wreak havoc on a cruise ship (notably in the justly famous stateroom scene), a public ceremony to honor three aviators, a police detective trying to catch them after the aforementioned ceremony, and a preformance of Verdi's Il Trovatore which they interrupt in almost every way concievable. Trying to explain any further would ruin things for those who haven't seen the film yet.

Some Marx Brothers fans claim their MGM films are worse than their Paramount films because they impose structure on all the antics. While most of their later films aren't as good as their early films, there really is no such thing as a bad Marx Brothers movie IMO.

See it and laugh your extremities off.

RATING: 5.0

PROS: Groucho, Chico and Harpo.
CONS: Some of the musical numbers might annoy viewers who aren't familiar with the format of Marx Brothers films.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0026778/combined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
One of the Marx essentials, generally timeless stuff, 5/5.

elister
Dec 29, 2001

by Mayor Wilkins
Yeah this was the insperation for Brain Doners, another movie thats NOT on DVD, yet should be.

Pinion
Jul 11, 2001
I just watched this movie last night after it had been sitting on my computer for a year and I must say it was goddamn hilarious. 5/5

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's a funny movie, and Allan Jones makes a decent Zeppo substitute, but I still prefer the Paramount Marx Brothers where they weren't so constrained by plotting and logic. This is the best of the MGM pictures, it's all downhill from here. Rating: 4