Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elister
Dec 29, 2001

by Mayor Wilkins
Directed by: Robert Allan Ackerman
Starring: Judy Davis, James Brolin

This movie is funny, funny in the sense that I never really did like Ronnie and Nancy. Growing up in the 80s, I remember the odd story or four about Nancy having tons of dressing gowns, how her daughter hated her. Ron Jr trying a stink on TV (which never went anywhere I guess).

It all floods back to me now. However the one thing remains, is this movie 100% fact or is alot of it made up to make The Reagan family look like morons? Id say its a mix of the two.

You watch this movie and you get the sense that Ronald was a great speaker, writing his own scripts. He walked the walk, as well as talked it, even throwing mud right back at protesters. However, he wasnt all there when it came to policy. The guy is still recovering from an assasination attempt and the "boyz on the hill" have all sorts of executive things for him to sign.

Nancy has a gay hairstylus who dies from aids, finds out from a group that these guys caught it doing smack, her own daughter often high on pot she decides to run her "Just Say No" campain. Of course, shes a raving utter bitch troll from deep dark bowel of satans rear end in a top hat! Having Ronnies two kids from his first marriage is a constant drag, even if the daughter was being physically abused. In fact, her old kids annoyed her, so off they went to private school! The lure of wealth beyond their dreams becomes her focus in getting Ronald to run for President.

Then theres the whole Iran Contra Affair, which is basically one big rear end "What" session. But those are just the highlights, theres tons of story line where Nancy plays the ultra oval office and all four kids hate her, and the politics they push, but love their dad like anyone else would. Face it, Ronnie was a warm person, family wise you couldnt hate the guy. And it tears the kids apart to see him being controlled by ultra right wing friends.

If your a Republican, you probably wont like this movie.
If your a Democrat, you may enjoy it.

James Brolin does a pretty good job at portraying Ronald Reagan.

NOTE: This was the movie that the Republicans pressured CBS to cancel and shuffle it direct to video. Yeah so its not 100% accurate, neither was that Martha Sewart movie, and that was hilarious!

RATING: 4.0

PROS: Democrat: It makes The Reagan Family look like dysfunctional idiots
CONS: Republican: It makes The Reagan Family look like dysfunctional idiots

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383139/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynie
Sep 16, 2002

by HELLTANK
I couldn't understand the furor over this film after I had finally gone out and rented a copy of the DVD. What did Republicans want, Ronnie to always appear three feet taller than everybody else on the screen and to be perpetually surrounded by a warm, amber glow? Seriously, he doesn't seem all that bad in this, and from what I've read about the man and his personal life, I can’t help but think that this movie took it pretty easy on the old bastard.

The main points of controversy were not over the more genuinely criminal aspects of the man’s life, strangely enough, partially because Iran-Contra is handled as a jumbled mess of scenes during which the President has some sort of grasp of the siutation and not, as we all know actually happened, Ronald lording over a "Risk" board, being told time and time again to take the blue army pieces out of his mouth and signing whatever was shoved in front of him. The republican ire was focused more so on the portrayal of Nancy as a bad parent and Ron’s weirder moments of stupidity. These instances are pretty much indisputable, however. Nancy’s children, all of them, have been very public with their seething hatred towards the woman, and in the film she’s simply shown as being a bad mother who is hated by her kids; there is no Joan Crawford type stuff (like I was hoping for). As for Ron being portrayed as an idiot, well… Keep in mind that he was, indisputably, a firm Christian who hated gay people and genuinely believed, as does our current president, that the Revelations End Times were coming very soon… I mean, you can draw whatever conclusions you like regarding the man's intelligence/sanity.

All that having been said, this movie wasn’t very good at all. I was hoping for a comically evil Ron and Nancy, as the controversy led me to believe I was in store for, but found instead a boring mess of stiff dialogue and tone-downed evil. This isn't even worth watching for a laugh.