Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: Takashi Miike
Starring: Riki Takeuchi

Disclaimer: I didn't finish watching this movie, which makes my review somewhat less relevant. If you've seen it all, feel free to write your own review and rate it. Part of the reason I wanted to post this was so other people (hopefully fans) could describe where the movie ends up going.

My only other experience with a Takashi Miike is Ichi The Killer, which I thought was a somewhat entertaining film. It'd been hyped up a lot, and it was sort of a let down, but I still found the story and characters to be enjoyable.

According to IMDB and the DVD case, Dead or Alive is apparently packed with taboos, violence, sex, rape, drugs, and all that other good stuff. In the opening fast-cut sequence we see all of these, but without any context they aren't shocking or really entertaining. It's like watching a slideshow.

What comes next is what can only be described as a boring series of mediocre, dry scenes involving different groups of characters. There's only a few brief pieces of action, and the rest is meaningless dialouge and long silences. Perhaps this is an important setup to what happens in the rest of the film, I don't know, but regardless, it was boring enough that we shut the movie off. Even if the last 30 minutes contain the most outrageous and awesome action scenes, it won't make up for the first half of this movie, which bored me to tears.

The violence and shocking images seemed painfully tacked on, without any context -- again, context might be added later in the film, but I don't really care to find out. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen and finally gave up. Every time I'd get bored, I'd say: 5 more minutes, I'm sure it's going to start getting cool. And it never did. It just kept talking.

RATING: 1.5

PROS: None that I saw
CONS: Disjointed, confusing, boring, amateur

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221111/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatewarns
Aug 10, 2003
Eater of third world virgins.
The movie leads up to the best ending for a movie, ever. The rest of the movie is pretty mediocre though (besides the first five minutes)

septum
Jul 11, 2001

by Livestock
I'm giving this movie a high rating because of how amazingly hosed up it is. The opening scene is really kick rear end(clowns with shotguns) and the ending will keep you laughing on the floor. Its just a very good action movie. Not much in plot or landmark film making, but just good action.