Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Directed by: Rob Schmidt
Starring: Desmond Harrington, Eliza Dushku, Jeremy Sisto

I don't know why this film scored only a 5.9 on the IMDb. It came out several months before the dreadful remake of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," but it seemed to beat that worthless piece of crap in its own game, with a smaller budget and no franchise. This film is like the "Deliverance" of our time, as three cannibalistic, inbred mutants hunt a ragtag group of teenagers on vacation, killing them in some seriously twisted ways.

Director Rob Schmidt (whose previous film, "Crime + Punishment in Suburbia," is one of my favorites) really brings a sense of style to the film without using the confusing MTV cuts so frustratingly popular among the Bruckheimer cadre of directors. And writer Alan B. McElroy (whose previous work includes both "Spawn" and "Left Behind," so one has to wonder how he struck gold with this film) writes some devious set pieces allowing for nasty fun.

It's too bad the casting director had to hire Emmanuelle Chriqui for her role. Christ, do her whiny yelps and bitchy one-liners get old fast (thankfully, she catches an axe to the head fairly early on).

All in all, a great choice for a night spent at home watching horror movies.

RATING: 5

PROS: Tight running time, giggling mutant, willingness to kill off major characters quickly
CONS: Deplorable acting from Emmanuelle Chriqui

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0295700/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

"Robert"
May 24, 2001

The Go-To Guy for Kitten Pics
Forgettable straight-to-video formula horror that improbably got a theatrical release. Desmond Harrington isn't bad, and there's some solid production design, but that won't save Wrong Turn from collecting dust on the "W" shelf in video stores worldwide. Do yourself a favor and watch The Hills Have Eyes or Deliverance and save this for when you've seen everything else in Blockbuster's puny horror secion.

2/5.

ogm
May 20, 2001

I didn't like this movie at all. Uninspired and generic horror movie of the type I've seen dozens of times before. Boring and predictable.

Oh yeah, it's nothing like Deliverance, in fact it's a direct insult to the masterpiece that is Deliverance to even mention this crap in the same sentence.

2/5

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

So bad it's not even funny. They made a poor attempt at poking fun of a genre in some areas while unwittingly falling victim to all the pratfalls of bad "horror" movies. I am full of self-loathing for even allowing myself to be dragged to a festering shitpile like this. Well, actually, I lied about it not being funny. I suppose those inbred "villains" were laughable. The idea itself is a little frightening, but I'm really more afraid of the execs who greenlighted a project like this.

1/5

Captain-Obvious
Aug 19, 2003

by Livestock
I hated this movie with a firey passion. I could list all the reason, but I only need to list one:

This movie actually suggests that there is a possibility that inbreeding could result in superhuman strength and stamina.

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Eliza Dushku has exactly one acting face: that confused but cautious look. The bad guys in this movie are too silly-looking to be taken seriously, and not silly enough to be campy. They just look dumb. Not nearly as dumb, however, as some of the things our heroes do to try to escape from them. This movie is neither gory enough nor clever enough nor scary enough to be worthwhile even to diehard slasher fans. Rating: 1

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I thought this was pretty bad too. Saw it late night on HBO, so didn't have high expectations, but I was still disappointed. The movie was basically a cookie cut typical horror movie with no real surprises, and I found myself annoyed by the loud girl, who didn't die nearly early enough to save this movie.

Pros: Eliza Dushku is pretty hot.
Cons: Everything else, especially killing the hottest girl in the group right away.

Rating: 2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Cob
May 29, 2004

I'm just saying is all
I got stoned and watched this at the cheap theater when it came around. I liked watching the mutants run around after our heroes. And it was fun to watch the kids die.

I really didn't expect much else. It's a weak but entertaining horror flick. Crap like this comes out all the time, and I've learned just to suspend practically all criticism in my search for cheesy, yet brutal, entertainment.

Pro: One of the mutants uses a bow and arrow.

2.5/5