Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.
Directed by: Lance Mungia
Starring: Jeffrey Falcon, Justin McGuire

Though what I've listed as the cons were probably intentional, they did take away a little from my enjoyment of the film and I see them as faults. Still, it's one of my favorite movies and just drat good.

It's 40 years after World War Three, which happened in the late 1950s. Russia nuked and invaded the US, and the country was plunged into chaos. Elvis became leader of the city known as 'Lost Vegas', one of the last free cities in the wasteland-- but now he's died, and aspiring 50s-style rock n' rollers are emigrating to Vegas to claim his throne.

The hero of the movie is a Buddy Holly look-alike named, well, Buddy, who is on his way to Vegas and quickly finds himself followed by a silent orphan child who he rescued during a battle. Together they fight their way across the wasteland towards Vegas, battling cannibals, cosmonauts, truck-driving cavemen and Russians-- not to mention Death himself, who is determined to be the new king of Lost Vegas at any cost.

It's been a long time since I was so engrossed in the world of a film-- it's extremely inventive and really fun to watch. The movie does smack of 'fairly tale' though, which is definitely intentional, but at times it feels pretty juvinile, and a lot of the dialouge is sub-par.

Despite all that, it's my favorite movie right now, and as such I've rated it 5.5 :)

EDIT: Oh, the soundtrack. How could I forget the soundtrack? Some seriously rockin' music by the Red Elvises, and a great score.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Extremely inventive and engrossing world
CONS: A bit childish at times, terrible one-liners

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0118736/

squeegee fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 15, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gewehr43
Mar 27, 2004
Picked this one up a few months back. Being a guitar player of the non-samurai variety, I was intrigued by its description and set the download in motion.

What a loving strange flick. Good to be sure... but strange. Occasionally childish one-liners, yes, but the film oozes kitch at every crevice. If you're into kitchy, strange, and all-in-all pretty thoughtless (in so far as you just sit down and watch without having to figure out whodunnit) movies, then this will appeal to you.

All in all its a pretty good flick with lots of good surf-style music (there's the music nerd in me coming out). Don't expect any serious life-altering stuff here though, just good, fun, strange humor and action.

Voted: 3.5

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
This film was quite ambitious...but possibly a little too ambitious for the budget...I loved the premise but thought the execution was flawed...in some places it seemed to move painfully slow. The soundtrack from the Red Elvis's is ok...but I found it to be a bit too intrusive. It just didn't seem to gel with the movie for me. And good lord was that screaming kid annoying. Jeffrey Falcon was pretty cool as Buddy...and it's a shame that he didn't do anything since then...as I feel he would make a good action star. Overall, I thought this movie was a noble effort...but I don't feel the desire to ever watch it again.

I give it a 2.5.

lenin
Sep 11, 2001

dear leader
Very amateurishly done and just plain bizarre at times. In addition, the guy's sidekick- the little kid- is perhaps the most annoying child actor to ever grace the screen. His wail is fun to listen to as a thousand nails being scraped against a blackboard.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
Great music and the action sequences were really well done. I agree the kid brought it down a bit, he was terrible.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
You've failed me for the last...Nice shoes!

This is an excellent loving movie. It's so perversely entertaining.

And kick me, but the kid didn't annoy me all that much!

Piccolo181
Apr 24, 2004
This one of my favorite movies. The premise is fresh and the movie itself dosent take itslef that seriously. The best part were some of the one-liners. "You killed top hat!", "We ran out of bullets in 1952!". Priceless, the kid even got progressively less annoying as the movies went on.

Zax
Jun 4, 2003
My name is blue canary one note spelled l-i-t-e
nice tuxedo....nice tuxedo to DIE in!

If I were you, I'd run!
If you were me, you'd look good. *snap*

SiliconCow
Jul 14, 2001
The whole movie had an atmosphere and style that I just really enjoyed, the one liners, samurai-guitar-action, and just plain randomness like the cannibal family and car chase with a gum-ball launcher.

Also, I used to know the kid who played the unnamed evil, 'TAGGGGGG YOURRR'RREEE ITT" creepy kid in the movie...

bankruptbroker
Jul 2, 2004
PEDOPHILE
Budget nonwitstanding, or maybe partially because of the budget the film had an increadible fairy-tale tone highlighted by the wizard of Oz esque shot. It reminded me of the novel Bear Vs Shark (maybe because they were going to Vegas).

bankruptbroker fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 7, 2004

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Ugh. This movie was a huge disappointment and it's painfully over-rated.

There isn't a scene in this movie that isn't incredibly visually appealing. I won't deny that it has a wonderful style. But that's all it has. There's about 2-3 pages of dialouge throughout the entire movie, 90% of which are one-sided (no interaction, just random oddly-costumed characters saying random odd things). The plot is basically nonexistent and the first half of the movie plays out like a bunch of random, disjointed scenes involving unexplained and meaningless characters.

The second half is a little better, the `plot' is actually progressed somewhat, and there's a guitar duel (something I waited the entire movie for -- sadly it only lasts 20 seconds or so).

The kid is the most loving annoying character in any movie ever. gently caress THE KID. Up until the 40 minute mark he doesn't speak a single word, but grunts, moans, cries, and sneezes at a loud volume for scenes that drag on forever. He probably ends up saying 10 or so words throughout the entire movie.

The movie crawls along for the most part (including a mind-numbing car chase with speeds not exceeding 15km/hr) and you're begging for something interesting to happen.

This movie could've been so good. But it's not. It's just eye candy, with terrible acting and writing. It's the very defintion of all style and no substance, the humor mostly falls flat, and the majority of the show-up-for-5-minutes-and-then-disappear characters are meaningless and mumble random garbage. If it weren't for the occasionally enjoyable music, the experience would be almost identical if you watched with the "mute" button on.

Skip it unless you are really willing to sit through a lot of poo poo just to see some cool visual setups. If your friends are convincing you to see this and you're skeptical you'll like it, trust your instincts and avoid it. You'll thank me for saving you 1.5hrs of your life.

First half = 1.0
Second half = 3.0

Overall 2.0

Bloated Pussy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 17, 2004

LowJack
Jun 27, 2003

This movie is total poo poo. The worst goddamn movie I have ever seen in my life.

Voted as low as possible.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Olhado pretty much hits the mark with his description of the movie. It is very well shot and has a lot of style going for it. That said, there is little to no plot,

The pacing is really terrible, you get thrown into the middle of "something" and then you kind of just sit there for an hour before anything happens.

The main character Buddy was alright, but the silent badass treatment just dosent work when theres no back story to the character. He is just purely one sided which detracts from him. He could have been a very memorable movie hero but instead just comes across too tryhard like.

The kid shat me up the wall but fortunatly did get far better for the last 1/2 hour of the film. That whiney scream was just terrible.

The fight scenes are average for the most part. Too comical to be really "cool" to be honest. Jeffery Falcon does put effort into it however so it is at least competent which is more then would be expected from a low budget film.
Fortuntly the final fight scene is a lot better but at the same time also shows how the REST of the movie could have turned out.

The music was good for the most part, set the tone of the film but was unfortunatly over emphasised on the soundtrack which drowns out the (limited) speech of the characters and hurts the movie.

There really needed to be actual interaction between Buddy and some other characters to have some development in plot and character. There is no real memorable scene in the movie at all.

Its not a bad film at all. Just heavily flawed which is a shame as all involved (expect the kid) obviously have good talent.

batwingedloony
Feb 1, 2001

by Ozma
One of my favorite movies ever. Granted, it's kitschy, but I love it. I just wish Jeffrey Falcon hadn't disappeared off the face of the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoDaPuf
May 24, 2003
Pro Gamer
"Only one man could kill this many Russians... Bring his guitar to me!"

4/5