Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herpes
Jul 17, 2001

The Ultimate Showdown
Directed by: Woody Allen, Senkichi Taniguchi
Starring: Tatsuya Mihashi, Akiko Wakabayashi, Mie Hama

So in 1965 Woody Allen decided he want to make a movie, well without really making a movie. So he went and bought a Japanese Spy movie called "International Secret Police - Key of Keys", and stripped the entire soundtrack and dubbed a new one without changing a minute of the actual film. So being a Woody Allen film you can only imagin e where this took the flick; out of this world. This 60's Japanese exploitation film became probably the funniest Woody Allen movie made.

Suffice to say how can a movie about spy's vying for the perfect egg salad recipe be bad? In short, it can't, the proof is in the movie. For 80 minutes yor lead on a wild ride of fast cars, fast women, and absoulutely off the wall dialogue.

The lead character is a Spy named Phil Moscowitz, who after survivng an absoultley horrible attempt on his life is pulled into a plot the involves stealing the afforementioned "World's Greatest Egg Salad". Along the way he teams up with such ridiculously named characters as Wing Fat and Teri Yaki all on his quest against the evil forces of the gangster Shepherd Wong.

Such touches as an interlude where an interviewer grills Allen on the plot to the movie, only to be denied; is what makes this movie a comedy classic. Not to mention, some of the greatest on liners ever conceived, "Name 3 presidents". My only gripe with the movie is the soundtrack by "The lovin' spoonful" who are actually even edited into the film. And this movie may not be for everyone, especially those not into non-sensical humor. However, if you're an Allen fan, you liked MST3K, or just want a 'holding your sides laughing' good time, you owe it to yourself to watch this great movie.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Some of the best one liners ever written, flawless dubbing, and great non-sensical humor
CONS: Not for everyone, those looking fo plot or story and best to look elsewhere, bleh... 'The Loving Spoonful'?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061177/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montez
Sep 15, 2003

Frog blast the vent cores!
I don't like Woody Allen films but I thought this one was really funny. All the dialogue is so well written and perfectly matched to the original it's hard to believe it was a complete re-write dub, and it's an excellent parody of spy movies and foreign movies with plenty of goofy humor thrown in as well. 4/5

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
The short cut to Woody Allen near the middle ranks as one of the funniest moments that I've seen in a film. Comedic timing isn't dead as long as Allen drags on.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

While the concept was good, and some of the jokes were great (along with /\/\), the low quality of the source movie ultimately hurt it. It's like those episodes of MST3K where the movie is so unwatchable that no amount of jokes can counteract the crap.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I don't like Woody Allen or his movies, but I thought this movie was great. It was sort of like MST3K gone wild before MST3K existed.

"Mom!"

Very funny. A lost treasure.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
"Ah . . . an oriental!"

4/5

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
"Saracen pig!"

"Russian cow!"

"Turkish taffy!"

Don't look now, but here's the obligatory scene where the director walks through with his wife. Egomaniac.

"Beware of the man with... with... with... with... with..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I wasn't expecting it to be very funny, but there were some absolutely hilarious lines. On the other hand, there was also a lot of downtime, with long action scenes lacking dialogue, and studio-injected bits of The Lovin' Spoonful performing. Still, surprisingly good, on a level with Allen's mid-tier comedies like Take the Money and Run or Small Time Crooks. Rating: 3.5