Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DetectiveDrebin
Jun 17, 2003

U... SSS... C! USC FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!
Directed by: Kevin Macdonald
Starring: Simon Yates, Joe Simpson, Richard Hawking

http://imdb.com/title/tt0379557/

Touching the Void is a true story about two hikers who, in 1985, tried to climb a mountain in Peru that many people had attempted to climb but weren't successful. This movie is different from your ordinary documentary. The mountain climbing footage is wonderfully done and is re-enacted by actors, not the actual climbers. However, the actual climbers narrate the story.

The movie is about 90 minutes long, but the climb up the mountain takes about 18 minutes of the film, which was surprisingly short in my opinion, and getting more of the great climbing footage would have been excellent. They did manage to reach the very top, but that's only half the climb. The obviously short time going up the mountain is a dead give-away that the two climbers face some trouble on their way down. They say that 80% of the accidents occur on the way down the mountain, and this event proves that statistic valid.

One of the climbers breaks his leg still relatively high up the mountain, and what follows is a heart-breaking, suspenseful, and excruciating fight for survival. The film does an excellent job re-creating the scenes. They put real climbers on a real mountain. All the shots are absolutely amazing: huge blue ice walls rising to a misty pinnacle and clouds of powdery snow blowing off the summit. Awe-inspiring.

As I said, the climb up the mountain was entertaining to watch, and I wish they put more of this in the movie, but this is such a minor CON that it doesn't affect my score.

I give it a 5/5.5 stars. A must-see if you like tales of survival and perserverence.

RATING: 5

PROS: Very suspenseful, gripping, and emotional
CONS: I wish they spent more film time on the hike up the mountain

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0379557/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

I was pretty compelled by this as a true story that seemed fascinating. I heard the guy tell his story on Jim Rome's radio show and was even more intrigued. The problem is that this subject matter doesn't work so well when presented as a documentary in this fashion. With the two characters narrating everything that happened with confessional shots, any intrigue as to whether or not they survived is removed. In fact, since they look rather healthy and don't seem to be worse for the wear, it's even less suspenseful.

Though there's certainly some beautiful photography of the mountains, and some actors simulating the climb, you know that they are just actors simulating the climb. The actors say very little and serve no other purpose than to be stick figures showing you how the harrowing events all unfolded.

Had the entire film been a dramatization, you might have got attached to the characters more and cared about their outcome.

The film is very slow paced and tiresome to watch. I'd recommend reading the book if the story intrests you.

2 STARS

liquorhead fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 9, 2004

Kill Bill
Apr 22, 2004

quote:

liquorhead came out of the closet to say:

The actors say very little...

Had the entire film been a dramatization, you might have got attached to the characers more and cared about their outcome.

2 STARS

First off, at least 3/4 of the film is dramatization, when it wasn't it was the actual people on screen. I see no problems. Also, the actors don't need to say anything because the actual people are narrating it.

2 stars, you don't even know what you're talking about. It deserves at least 3 even if you didn't like it.

4.5/5

RoastBeefCurtan
Dec 31, 2003
America's #1 Cinnamon Gum
WOW! WHAT A STORY!

The story is amazing, especially since it is true. It is reinacted very well. There are times where the movie seems to be going slow, but those points are only apparent when the action is slow paced. If you see it ou 'll know specifically what that means.

4.5 of 5 stars

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
It's an amazing story, and I think any criticism of the format is completely off-base. Since there's almost no dialogue between the characters when portraying the climb, combining the depictions with expository narrative by the people themselves was a wonderful way to depict the whole character to the viewer at once, both their internal status and conflicts and their external situation. Although the characters were not really complex, given that the film essentially depicts just this one climb that takes place over a few days, the presentation of the film made the characters feel three-dimensional because you were able to examine them from so many perspectives at once.

I can't imagine how the story could have been presented better in any other format. The ideas of sticking only to narrative interviews, or sticking only to dramatization, strike me as equally ridiculous. A film made up only of interviews would be, of course, quite dull and would never do justice to the material; and a film that was only dramatization, which liquorhead suggested, would suffer from both artificial exposition and a feeling of shallowness stemming from the extreme bizarreness and unbelievability of the story that is only eroded by the contributions of the real people who lived it.

I believe it is missing the point to say that there is no suspense to the story, because you know from the first interview that the characters lived to tell the tale. While the news story might have been that the main character continues to breathe today, the story that the film is seeking to tell is that the man underwent an awe-inspiring journey of fear, courage, pain and perspiration. The fact that he lived is only the footnote.

4.5/5

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
This movie was great. No, it was not well acted, because there was little acting. There was portrayal of events, but mostly what you have here is a recounting of some seriously harrowing events.

Really, it might have been a SUPERLATIVE pbs special, instead it's a GREAT movie. 4.5 stars.

The story is harrowing. Two men, adventurers both, but young and somewhat inexperienced, head out to climb a mountain face in Peru that no one has yet been able to climb. Undaunted, they head up the face and encounter rotten weather. They summit, amazingly enough. The climb down though, kicks their asses.

Joe, the author of the book and the 'star' of the show, attempts to traverse a bad slope and suffers a HORRIBLE fall, shattering his leg. Falling and breaking your leg on a mountain = usual death.

Simon, his climbing partner and friend, attemps to lower Joe down the mountain -- they take a route they did not take on the way up so they don't know all the features.

Once again the weather is beyond lovely. At one point Simon lowers joe out of site and Joe slides off the face and over an ice overhand. He tries to signal Simon not to lower him anymore, but Simon cant tell. Simon cant lift him up, can't feel anything but slack weight on the rope. Simon begins to be pulled off the face by Joe's dead weight, so after an hour and a half of this, he assumes Joe is dead and cuts the rope.

Joe falls 80+ feet into a huge ice crevasse. And lives. Simon, assuming him dead, must struggle to get himself off the mountain alive.

The rest of the movie addressses both men's struggle, physical and mental, to get off the mountain alive. Simon must also face the idea he has let his friend die and left his body unfound. Joe must face the fact that Simon has done this to him.

It's a great, fantastic tale of survival and not giving up when you should just give up and loving DIE because it's got to be a lot easier than dehydration, frostbite and the crushing pain of a shattered knee and femur.

I would recommend this movie to anyone. It doesn't have great effects, it doesn't have stupendous acting. But it does have a harrowing feel and a verisimilitude that you can't find in Hollywood productions.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

A tremendously gripping film. What both men went through - especially Joe Simpson - defies reason. This film shows just how much suffering people can endure to survive.

A must-see, and it should be a frontrunner for the 2004 Academy Award for Best Documentary. 4.5/5

OpiaTool
Jul 18, 2001

This is a mond-boggling tale of survival that could be seen and enjoyed by just about anyone. I was wary going in because I usually dislike re-enactments when compared to true documentary footage, but the interview dialog playing over the recreated footage gives the entire thing a great balance of authenticity and drama. It doesn't spoil anything to know that they both live, because the excitement is in the journey and trying to relate to the minds of these two men while in the midst of their experience.

Joe Simpson is a hard bastard, and he should be dead today, but he isn't. He has only himself to thank for that.

Also, watch this on DVD if you can because the disc has some good bonus features that shed even more light on these two fellows. It is especially interesting to see Simon deal with a legacy of being "the one who cut the rope."

4.5/5 stars

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
As a climber, I have major respect for this film.

4.5/5 stars

Piglet
Jan 22, 2002

Zub! Zub!

I flipped to this while lying in bed around 1 AM. I knew I had to get to sleep for work but I could not turn it off. Despite knowing that the participants survived I could not contain my building astonishment as their predicament unfolded. In fact, their commentary was a key element of the story. Knowing what they were thinking and feeling as everything happened was vital to the story and I can't think of any other way to convey that than to let them tell the story themselves as you watch it.

Weeatherhead
Sep 25, 2003
poop
loving Badass.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

What a remarkable and thrilling tale. I was seriously biting my knuckles during parts of it... even though, being a documentary, one knows how it all turns out in the end. Gorgeous shots of the mountain, and excellent re-creation job. Rating: 4

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Thread super-necromancy...

Just saw it, finally. Great movie - I really liked the narrative provided by the real guys. It provided a sense of authenticity that simply watching your usual Based on a True story hollywood movie doesn't have. I just couldn't believe the poo poo that Joe had to go through.

Also, watching this after seeing 127 Hours is interesting. In later scenes, the camera and editing reminded me heavily of 127 Hours... or vice versa depending on your viewing order. Isolation and dehydration start screwing with your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Thanks for the thread necromancy - this is absolutely my favourite climbing movie and possibly one of my favourite movies, period.

Maybe I am biased by pursuing various mountain pursuits myself, however it's an incredible story, wonderfully told alongside some beautiful photography. And it's pretty harrowing, especially towards the end - you really feel for Simpson especially.

Shits all over other 'climbing movies' like Vertical Limit (dear christ, no) and sits firmly alongside fellow (albeit less dramatic) documentaries like Alone On The Wall (part of the First Ascent series) and The Swiss Machine (shown at Reel Rock 2010) in my mind.

And I liked it a lot more than 127 Hours, which although very good, proved just too difficult to watch (and I have a strong stomach!) to be entirely worthwhile.

4.5/5 because no film is perfect, but this is drat close.