Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: Stuart Baird
Starring: Patrick Stewart, Gates McFadden, etc.

I'm a huge trekkie, so I'm obviously biased, but even still, Nemesis isn't any where near as good as I'd hoped. I'd rank the TNG movies: First Contact, Nemesis, Generations, Insurrection, but there's a big gap between First Contact and Nemesis.

I was excited because Nemesis was supposed to involve the Romulans, a race which I felt has been criminally ignored in most Trek. Unfortunately there wasn't very much of the Romulans at all, just a lot of new characters and a new race we get introduced to. That's all right though.

The movie is action-oriented, and thank god, cause Insurrection was loving boring. The action is good, and if you like Trek, it's all the better. Unfortunately the plot does little to inspire interest in me, unlike past efforts like The Undiscovered Country. The characters seem shallower than I'm used to... I don't know, it's hard to explain, but they seem kind of like cartoon versions of the ones from the series. Simplified and exaggerated.

It's not a terrible ending to TNG's run, but I hope it is an ending. Let DS9 have its turn.

RATING: 4

PROS: Awesome action scenes, especially for Trek fans. Continuation of some great characters
CONS: Generic story, little character development

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253754/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMurphy
Feb 14, 2004

THE FACES OF THOSE IVE KILLED
THE FACES OF THE DEAD
THE FACES OF THOSE I'VE KILLED

I can say as a mild trekkie that I enjoyed watching this movie, but that's pretty much it. First Contact is and will always be the best Trek movie ever. If you've watched a few episodes and know who is who in the ST universe, and enjoy a harmless sci-fi story that won't tax your brain cells, give it a watch. 3.5

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I'm a complete sucker for anything related to the Next Generation crew. I like Nemesis a lot, whereas I was disappointed by Generations and moreso by Insurrection.

Pros:
Good space battles, especially for Star Trek. I still don't like sound in my vacuum, though.

The crew, for the most part, is still good at what they do. Not enough screen time for some, but they still go together well. Also, are we supposed to assume Worf is back on the Enterprise now that DS9's run is over with?

Cons:
The crew is getting to old. Brent Spiner is starting to really, really show his age in this movie, as is Patrick Stewart.

The villain just ... doesn't seem villainous enough. The mind-rape scene with Troi and Shinzon/Viceroy was just unnecessary, and the opening death-by-radiation scene just wasn't brutal enough to make me fear the power of the enemy.

"Death" of data? Or undeath. Whichever. I don't like the B4 character in the end, since it seems they just couldn't commit to the death of a major character.

Anyways, I'll rate it a 4. Sure, I can't point out as many pros as cons, but I still enjoy this movie very much.

Raptor10001
May 7, 2003

Bend over and show me your Dark Side.
I'm a big Trek fan. With that said, this movie could've been done a lot better.

Cons:
-The whole B9 thing was redundant. The whole point of killing off data was firstly because Brent Spiner didn't want to do it anymore, and secondly because he doesn't look the same as he used to.

Using a differant actor for B9 would've made so much more sense and would've given the TNG movies more credibility.

-I didn't like how the whole movie focussed on Picard vs. Shinzon. It was like they were trying to copy the Khan vs. Kirk conflict from Trek II. It also distracted from the development and inclusion of the other crew members which made First Contact so successful. I'm not saying it was a bad idea altogether, it just could've been done better.

-Admiral Janeway cameo. Ugh.

-Riker could've been a little bit more badass as per usual.

Pros:
-Finally using the Romulans prominently in a movie.

-Cool special effects.

-Amazing script. No complaints about the dialogue. Especially between Picard and Shinzon.

Bottom Line:
If you want to see a good Trek movie, watch First Contact.

2.5/5

Krazy Yak
Jul 12, 2003
I liked this movie the first time I saw it in the theater, but it doesn't really have as much staying power unfortunately. Lots of spoilers, so I'm just going to skip the tags.

I think what ended up happening is that the writer made a good script, and was very knowledgable about the Trek universe, but the director crapped all over it. In some places I've read that Stuart Baird (director) really didn't care much for continuity or star trek in general. For example here are some of the bad things in the movie:

Where they find B4. It was a very poorly done gratuitous car chase. Why does Star Trek need a car chase? It did nothing to advance the story at all, and the crew blatantly violated the prime directive. If anyone had spent any amount of time with the franchise they would have known that.

The dumb plot things. At the end of DS9, Worf was supposed to be an ambassador or something. All of a sudden he's back as the tactical officer. Also in DS9, section 31 planted a high level mole in the Romulan senate, and now he's gone with no mention. I blame this on Berman, I'm pretty sure he never watched DS9... And of course no mention of the emotion chip Data's been carrying around for the last three movies. It even looks like they are implying he doesn't use it anymore.

The humor seemed a little bit on the silly side, but not as forced and dumb as Insurrection.

Also, the Romulan commander seemed a little too good to be true. She betrays just about everyone in the film (first aiding Shinzon in killing the senate, then Shinzon by helping Picard), with little motivation.

The last battle, while very cool, was a blatant rip off of Wrath of Kahn. It was in a nebula-thing where communcation was impossible (brilliant course plotting guys). Fortunately Captain Kirk/Picard can outsmart the bad guy, because he's overconfident. Once the bad guy's ship is stopped, he starts setting off the weapon that will kill them all if they don't escape in time. Someone must sacrifice himself to save the crew. And dies in such a way that he can come back in the next movie if he really wants to.

Small things: the Romulan uniforms looked incredibly gay. I don't know how they took themselves seriously in with rainbows on their chests. The music kinda sucked at times too, they used a dumb techno sound when cutting to the Romulans.

The movie did some things well. I really did like the exchanges between Shinzon and Picard. I think Tom Hardy played a good bad buy, especially given with what he had to work with. I really dug the new Romulan ships, and despite the cheese of the final battle I thought it was well done.

Some little things from the continuity managed to get in: the Romulan cloaking device was *perfect* in that Tachyon and anti-proton beams (yay techno-babble) couldn't penetrate it, a nice nod to TNG and DS9 cloaking references (Tachyon being what the feds used against the romulans in TNG and the anti-proton being what the dominion used against the defiant in DS9).

Despite what some others have said, I thought the remembrance of Data was done well. Not it wasn't a big funeral pyre like Spock, but I thought the emotion and the tone was just right, especially with Riker remembering their first meeting.

Oh and I laughed to see that Janeway was an admiral, I like to think that starfleet gave her a desk job so she wouldn't go out and lose anymore ships.

All said, I'm way too big of a trekkie nerd, but I thought the movie overall was alright. Better than Insurrection for sure, but still weaker than some others.

3/5

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist
The good news is, this is better than Insurrection and Generations, by a long way.

Unfortunately, it's still got a few glaring flaws. Even going beyond the fact that a lot of the cast are starting to show their age, there are a few plot holes and problems that eat away at the film. The first half of the film, where Picard goes on a mission of peace to meet Shinzon is very Trek-like, with Patrick Stewart turning in a fine performance as "Jean-Luc the diplomat".

Unfortunately, the second half of the film plays more like a bad Star Wars knockoff than anything. I find it hard to believe that nobody on the Enterprise would have noticed what an obvious trap the rift, where long-range communications are impossible, was. The battle scenes between the Enterprise and the Scimitar are dull as dishwater - they just seem to start and stop and start and stop forever. It gets better towards the end, with the crew breaking up without resorting to gaudy sentimentality, but by this time the damage has been done.

Conclusion? Not the best Star Trek movie out there, but not the worst, either. Worth a look for Trek fans. 3.5/5

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Nemesis is a collossal piece of poo poo. I would watch Star Trek V before I watched Nemesis again.

It's a blatant ripoff of Wrath of Khan (the writer has admitted this, though you shouldn't need his word to notice it). Of course, in ripping off Khan, they managed to lose anything remotely interesting about the original movie.

They manufacture a conflict and create a villain with retarded motivation filled up to the brim with angsty "You could be me!" bullshit that ALMOST passes for some halfhearted philosophical throwback. I don't watch Star Trek for action scenes because they aren't that good EXCEPT FOR fleet battles. DS9 showed us excellent fleet battles. We don't need to see Star Trek: The Go-Kart Generation.

Cons: Everything
Pros: "Tea Earl Grey hot"
It wasn't as long as Voyager.

What a worthless piece of poo poo.

Lanny McDonald
Oct 20, 2003
1978: Never Forget
Watching this reminded me why I stopped liking Star Trek around 8th grade. What tepid, soulless tripe this movie is. The plot was ridiculous and superficial, the action scenes were boring, the performances were lame. It made Attack of the Clones look like a masterpiece. Just stop making Star Trek movies, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrobster
Oct 5, 2002
FAP FAP
I absolutely adore this movie. The mix of action and the display of Star Trek "ideals" were truly beautiful and really made the movie for me. As a huge Star Trek fan, I must say that this movie was awesome.