Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK
Ok, there was some confusion in TFD about who was running the show. While isnoop did start the forum and put a lot of work into it, there are currently 3 mods doing the day-to-day stuff. If you missed it in the rules thread, The Walrus, NoneMoreNegative, and I are the current film dump mods. I guess people were seeing his "Attn: Mods" thread and assuming he ran the place. Sorry the mods list doesn't show, but hopefully this thread and the redone rules thread will stop that.

Anyway, report vote spamming here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1115412

Two 0.5 votes for "The Stone Reader," which I and another goon gave high marks to, but no reviews ...

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I'd like to make a suggestion for folks who start Film Dump threads. Most have been good enough to include links to the IMDB pages for the films they list, but I was hoping that it would also be possible to post the links to the Metacritic and/or Rotten Tomatoes pages of reviews for them.

Or would this be a bad idea?

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK

quote:

Doodles came out of the closet to say:
I'd like to make a suggestion for folks who start Film Dump threads. Most have been good enough to include links to the IMDB pages for the films they list, but I was hoping that it would also be possible to post the links to the Metacritic and/or Rotten Tomatoes pages of reviews for them.

Or would this be a bad idea?

I have no problem with people linking to as many offsite reviews as they want.

GBS POSTER 2000
Nov 25, 2003
I guess this is a thread for suggestions, so here's mine.

Spoilers don't belong in a movie review, just as film discussion doesn't. A review shouldn't mention things that are crucial to the plot. It should give the bare-bones that the audience needs to judge whether they want to see the film, it should list an argument for or against the work, and it should list the pros and the cons. Plot summary has no place in a review, and it defeats the purpose of this forum if I have to carefully navigate each thread so I don't spoil the movie for myself. This forum is for helping other people decide whether to see a movie, or not -- not to give away the plot.

edit: it's already covered in the faq, but people still do it

GBS POSTER 2000 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 13, 2004

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
I don't know if anybody answered this before, but is there any way to rig this forum so the reviews don't drop off the page listing? You can still find them with search, but if you sort titles alphabetically they don't all show up.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

quote:

NADZILLA came out of the closet to say:
I don't know if anybody answered this before, but is there any way to rig this forum so the reviews don't drop off the page listing? You can still find them with search, but if you sort titles alphabetically they don't all show up.

If you sort by rating, it shows all of the older reviews. It's a pain in the rear end to sort through though, even if you have a good idea of what a film's rating is.

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries
Any idea why http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1152220 was gassed? It seemed to be doing alright, and I can't see anything wrong with the thread.

Also, it is a good movie.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

quote:

Quick Stop came out of the closet to say:
Any idea why http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1152220 was gassed? It seemed to be doing alright, and I can't see anything wrong with the thread.

Odd, maybe an accident?

Also, can we keep more movies stickied than just the one or two that is opening this week? Maybe like, the movies that are still in the majority of theaters? Then if someone wants to go to the movies, they can just look at the very top of the forums for the ratings of everything that's at the theater they'll be going to.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Quick Stop came out of the closet to say:

There's a new one-click 'gas' button beneath every post that I clicked by accident. :(

Sorry, I'm working on getting it back. Also a shame because that's the best movie I've seen all year.

EDIT: We're just going to have new releases there, I don't want like 10 stickies at a time.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

quote:

The Walrus came out of the closet to say:

There's a new one-click 'gas' button beneath every post that I clicked by accident. :(

Sorry, I'm working on getting it back. Also a shame because that's the best movie I've seen all year.

EDIT: We're just going to have new releases there, I don't want like 10 stickies at a time.
I just meant like 3-6.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I inadvertently posted a duplicate review of 'Three Kings':

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1209336

I don't have platinum, so I was limited to an alphabetical search which didn't show it (too old perhaps?) and this also meant I can't contact any of the listed admins, so I'm mentioning it here. Sorry for the inconvenience.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK

quote:

Sulman came out of the closet to say:
I inadvertently posted a duplicate review of 'Three Kings':

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1209336

I don't have platinum, so I was limited to an alphabetical search which didn't show it (too old perhaps?) and this also meant I can't contact any of the listed admins, so I'm mentioning it here. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Gassed. It's no problem, thanks for the heads up :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey guys ok I had been thinking about this recently because there are a whole loving lot of reviews missing when I do a search or whatever, and realized that old posts from this forum are getting pruned - which means many movies that have been reviewed are not available.

is there any way to bring these back from archives / not archive this forum?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
This is a hunch but, I think the problem with (older) reviews not showing up when manually sorting them might have have to do with the user's own "Default Thread View" options.

I have mine set to "Show All Threads" and it seems to show all the reviews ever written. I don't have Platinum so I have to search manually but I've had no problem in trying to find older reviews or duplicates.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 1, 2004

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

quote:

mindphlux came out of the closet to say:
hey guys ok I had been thinking about this recently because there are a whole loving lot of reviews missing when I do a search or whatever, and realized that old posts from this forum are getting pruned - which means many movies that have been reviewed are not available.

is there any way to bring these back from archives / not archive this forum?
The Film Dump was accidentally pruned once, but luckily this was reversed so all the reviews should still be there.

Try out the solution I have outlined above to see older posts. As a bonus it also reveals the older threads residing in the Comedy Goldmine.

[old]While I'm here, can one of the mods please reopen this review:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1068020

The reviewer closed the review and won't let me rate the movie. I'm also pretty sure that others might have some things to say about the movie.[/old] Thanks.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 2, 2004

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you really want to cut down on people posting disscusions instead of reviews. Disable the quote button in this forum. 90% of the discussion != review posts have quotes in them.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK

quote:

Fire came out of the closet to say:
If you really want to cut down on people posting disscusions instead of reviews. Disable the quote button in this forum. 90% of the discussion != review posts have quotes in them.

1. People still do use it for legitimate reasons.

2. Much like the mod-only tags, I don't we should really be doing much to make it so people CAN'T get banned. The reasons the SA forums are so great is that when people do stuff that is dumb they are banned/titled/etc.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
A tip for people without Plat who want to post reviews. To get a full listing of all reviewed movies:

1) Sort by rating (this will give you a list 30-something long).
2) Sort by title (this will sort the 30 page list rather than the shorter one).

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK

quote:

NADZILLA came out of the closet to say:[/PL]
A tip for people without Plat who want to post reviews. To get a full listing of all reviewed movies:

1) Sort by rating (this will give you a list 30-something long).
2) Sort by title (this will sort the 30 page list rather than the shorter one).

And, the IMBD link should come up on the URL checker, informing you that someone posted a review with that link as well.

Shii
Feb 18, 2004

by elpintogrande
"BlindTourist" and "Morty the Mad" seem to be rating much-loved movies 1 without reviewing them. Don't know if they're just lazy or what.

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

How about "Biography" or "Docudrama" being listed. It was pretty tough to classify "Ray" when I put the review up. How would you classify "Man on the Moon" for example? It's cetainly no documentary or comedy, but Drama sounds lame, too.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I'd personally like to see a field for the writers. Way too many movies are complimented or torn apart based solely on the directing, when it was really the writer's good intention or fault. At least it will give people a reason to think about those poor, poor writers.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'll talk to Isnoop about the above issues :cool:

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
How about a thread for users to post a list of their "favorite/best films" or something along those lines? I think it could be helpful in garnering recommendations and maybe understanding the tastes of different posters. I think there's been discussion of this idea before, but I don't know where it went.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play

quote:

danthemitchell came out of the closet to say:
How about a thread for users to post a list of their "favorite/best films" or something along those lines? I think it could be helpful in garnering recommendations and maybe understanding the tastes of different posters. I think there's been discussion of this idea before, but I don't know where it went.
It's a good idea in theory, but I think practically every post would be Garden State, Donnie Darko, Fight Club ad nauseum.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

quote:

It's a good idea in theory, but I think practically every post would be Garden State, Donnie Darko, Fight Club ad nauseum.

I think you're right, but on the upside, then we would know who's opinions to disregard in the future (zing!). I guess it would really only be useful in the case of the ten or so people who seem to do almost all of the reviews posted here.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Here's an alternate, step by step solution for those unable to see the 30+ pages of reviews listed in this forum (I originally posted it in a duplicate review thread but I think it would be also useful here):

Go to User Control Panel, then go to Edit Options.

Under Thread View Options set Default Thread View to Show All Threads.

Press the Submit Modifications button. You should see 30+ pages of reviews listed in this forum.

As a bonus you can go to the Comedy Goldmine and read all the now available older threads in there.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 4, 2004

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I am really curious why showing the vote inside the thread has been turned off until a thread reaches a certain minimum of votes.

I am talking about how the rating appears inside a thread with more votes, and with a mouse over you can see all the people who voted and what their votes were.

It was put in just for this forum, and now it's gone until a thread hits some minimum. I can see no reason for this, and why I should be able to see who voted for a movie if it's got 30 votes but not what people voted if it's got 5 or 6. It's still necessary for detecting vote spamming, and it still matters if you want to see if somebody whose opinions you like is among those voting.

kcin82
Nov 1, 2004

why ask why
I just posted this review to 2046, and then changed it so I could see all the threads, and noticed someone started a thread already for this movie a few pages back. My bad, feel free to gas this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1375813

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I guess I should add a suggestion:

It seems as though mini series are allowed, with "Band of Brothers" being posted for example, can TV movies be included as well? If you could make this more clear in the FAQ that would be great, since a lot of decent TV movies and mini series have been coming out lately.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

SwissCM came out of the closet to say:
I guess I should add a suggestion:

It seems as though mini series are allowed, with "Band of Brothers" being posted for example, can TV movies be included as well? If you could make this more clear in the FAQ that would be great, since a lot of decent TV movies and mini series have been coming out lately.

Sure, although I'm not sure why it's not kinda obvious. Them being TV movies and all.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Ok it appears that there is a serious rounding error with the script for calculating user voting results.

Take a look at the votes for Alone in The Dark - its rating is currently 0.15, but this is clearly impossible since the lowest rating is 0.5. Since nearly all of the votes for that movie are 0.5, (with a few higher), it seems that there must be some rounding error occuring. Likely, the 0.5 votes are being counted as 0.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Are the really old reviews archiving again? Because I could have sworn some of the stuff reviewed in the last couple weeks were already done.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK

quote:

Are the really old reviews archiving again? Because I could have sworn some of the stuff reviewed in the last couple weeks were already done.

I'm not sure offhand. I've been trying to read random threads from time to time and I've seen so many reviews I think I'm just getting things mixed up in my head.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK
For those wondering, no we aren't dead. Some forum changes with buttons and such has broken the forum where mod actions(gas, move, stick, unstick) is concerned. We're working on it so you guys just behave in the mean time!

Or maybe I'm lying and I've left Sahara stuck at the top of the forum for weeks because I think it's the greatest move ever.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK
Fixed now :)

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

Hey guys...Sisterhood, Land of the Dead, Herbie, and Howl's Moving Castle should be bumped to the top.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
So, would it be a pipe dream for movies less than a month old to be stickied?

Not meaning to sass, it just seems like the mods hardly ever bother to look at this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK
Sorry about all this guys. I haven't been pulling my end around these parts. A PM from an awesome forum member has finally made me do some things. Hopefully, there should be some changes in the future. In the mean time, I really suggest that you guys use the report feature, as that is the quickest way to have something dealt with. I'm not reading every thread in here(not even reading as many as I should), so I do miss a great deal of what goes on, but I am usually able to respond to a report within 12 to 24 hours.

Again, I really just want to say that I'm sorry for how things have become.