Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: Michael Dowse
Starring: Paul Spence, David Lawrence

Fubar is a fake documentary about two headbangers -- the skid row metalheads native to Canadian cities.

Brilliantly acted and written, Fubar manages to be absolutely hilarious while also weaving somewhat of a story (which even ends up including the fake filmmaker). The movie is dependent on having met or seen these types of people, but if you have, you'll likely find yourself laughing a lot.

The portrayals are dead on and absolutely convincing. It's easy to forget that the people on the screen are actors because the two leads play the losers so well. Their dialouge and day to day lives are just plain funny.

Once they start dealing with a plotline involving one of the headbangers getting testicular cancer the movie gets even more hilarious as we get to watch the skids at doctor appointments and cancer treatments. At times the plot is ridiculous enough that it kills the realistic feel to the movie, but the laughs make up for it.

As far as I'm concerned this movie belongs right alongside other mockumentaries like Best In Show, Waiting for Guffman, etc.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Absolutely hilarious mockumentary
CONS: Slow at times, the plot sometimes kills the realistic feel

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302585/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

I grew up in Western Canada and although it may be hard to believe for some who have never been here, people like Dean and Terry, the movie's protagonists, do exist and act pretty much the same. They are known as bangers or skids and spend their time listening to Priest, Maiden, and AC/DC while shotgunning beers and working minimum wage jobs.

The film follows Dean and Terry's exploits in Edmonton (or was it Calgary?) in faux-documentary style, including a fake film crew headed up by a sheltered and up tight director. The two characters meander around for awhile until Dean is diagnosed with testicular cancer, and we are treated to various hijinks as they go to the doctor's office and go camping one last time.

The documentary style works really well, and there are only a few times when it seems fake or forced. The two lead actors do a fantastic job, while the supporting cast is not quite as good but still do a decent job. My favorite was the squash-playing doctor. If I read the credits correctly, I believe he's a doctor in real life too.

This movie is a must-see for Canadians especially. Everyone else should give it a watch because it is very funny and even touching at times.

Boy Wunder fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 5, 2004

needle exchange
Jul 3, 2004

Sweat. When it's hot, baby.
Fubar is probably one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Coming from western Canada, ( Dean and Terry live in calgary ) I am all to familiar with this breed. To say they are overdone or over the top is simply untrue, they're pretty accurate portrayals of Albertan white trash.

The acting was surprisingly strong, and at times the characters were so convincing it would be difficult not to believe them real.

A very funny and original film.

Pros : Improvised dialouge and drunken white trash philosphizing makes for some very funny scenes.

Cons : Not many, some parts seemed to drag on a little longer then they should have.

needle exchange fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 5, 2004

ULOVEKYLE
May 23, 2004
Don't shoot, I'm Canadian
Hilarious, absolutely hilarious. The replay value this movie has is endless. I must've watched it about 20 times and laughed at it everytime. If you're from Western Canada you've probably seen these types of people before and they get the whole impersonation spot on. 5/5

Pizzaface
Apr 2, 2004

by Lowtax
I met these guys at a bar in Calgary and ate hotdogs with them

The movie is pretty cool too

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I can't believe that anyone being from an area with people like this wouldn't vote this a 5. This movie gets a 5 because i know people who are these two guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Yeah I really enjoyed the movie but taught it was less funny towards the end with all the serious subjects.

So 3/5.
Fubar 2 looks pretty loving amasing. Our studio did fx for it and cant wait to see it on the big screen.