Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: Sam Raimi
Starring: Bruce Campbell

Prior to seeing Evil Dead I'd only seen Army of Darkness, which I rather enjoyed. I rented Evil Dead and mistakingly assumed I'd be watching a similar mix of comedy and horror.

I didn't enjoy this movie at all. I was never scared. I never laughed. Lots of scenes were completely boring and too long. I can sympathize with a low budget but it's hard for me to enjoy a horror movie when the gore effects are about as good as a K-Mart Haloween costume.

Bruce Campbell can't act all that well now, and he couldn't back then.

I didn't expect the movie to be student-film level quality, which is likely my fault for not knowing what I was getting into, but I figured since it got a fancy-packaged DVD release that it was a "real" movie.

I can look at the movie and say it was very well done for an amateur filmmaker with an amateur cast and a low budget. In fact I can fully understand how Sam Raimi is now a very rich and popular director, and why he was allowed to continue making Evil Dead movies. In the context of the money and experience of the people involved this movie is really excellent.

But still, as a movie experience it's just not all that entertaining aside from "hey cool, it's Bruce Campbell when he was 20" and "hey cool, this movie was made by the guy who did Spiderman".

I understand that it's considered to be somewhat of a classic among horror fans, but I don't think it has much appeal outside that group of people.

RATING: 1.5

PROS: A couple of cool scenes, excellent for the budget/resources available
CONS: Painfully indie, not scary at all, no real humor mixed in, Raimi hadn't fully developed yet as a good director

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083907/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I loved the way the camera was used in this movie, especially the way it took on the part of the "evil presence" instead of having a special effect or guy in a suit. The sound effects that accompanied some of the camera movements were a riot, as was the over-the-top style of the violence and gore (the box of bandages in the pool of blood is the best). It isn't as immediately humorous as the other two dead films, but it gets better with repeated veiwings and if you think about what the filmmakers were doing as they made it. Looking back, it's hard to believe the guy who made Spiderman 2 once filmed a tree rape sequence, but I guess we all have to start somewhere.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
The original Evil Dead is definitely my favorite of the series. It's not all that scary, but has a great sense of dark atmosphere and is full manic and unsettling mischief -- like the giggling demon-possessed girl (one of my favorite moments) or the film projector in the basement or the infamous tree rape. There's campy acting and dialogue to be sure (most of it in the first half hour, but some great comic touches sprinkled in throughout). After that things get edgier and more effectively creepy, in a way that Army of Darkness' pure slapstick and one-liners never manages.

4 stars.

Montez
Sep 15, 2003

Frog blast the vent cores!
This is my least favorite one of the series. I still like it a lot and much more than almost every other horror movie, but whenever I watch it now I can't help but see it as a "first draft" of Evil Dead II. It has a lot of great scenes, some on par with the sequel, and is different enough to stand on it's own but in the end it isn't as well-paced or funny as II or Army of Darkness. Still amazing considering it was Raimi's first movie, had no budget and amateur actors, but definitely the weakest of the three. 4.5/5

knork
Dec 27, 2003
I haven't seen Army Of Darkness, but I certainly enjoy watching Evil Dead a lot more than the sequel. The camera work is excellent and the actual filming itself is quite intelligent. Whilst it's gorier than Dead By Dawn, I don't find it as over-the-top. Being born in 87, I actually started watching films of the horror genre in reverse (chronologically). By the time I'd seen Evil Dead 2, it offered nothing new or exciting, just a couple (yes, two) of funny scenes and some lame monsters flying around.

Evil Dead on the other hand is a refreshing watch to someone who's bored with the Black Comedy/Horror films of the late 80's.

4/5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
I like the tree rape scene.

Two.

TexasWasteland
Mar 26, 2003
^^^that scene was hosed up

This movie was absolutely terrible. Terrible acting. Terrible special effects and all horribly executed. But thats exactly what i like about it. Its just hilariously awful.

4/5

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
For a movie with no real actors and a 19-year old director, it's very good. Quite a few tense moments some rather disturbing scenes. If anything, it's good to see how far Raimi and Campbell have come since 1979.

Evil Dead II is better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darman54
Jul 25, 2004
Evil Dead wasnt quite as good as Army of Darkness, but it was still fun to watch. I think some people forget that the movie isnt a A or B film, but a cheezey flick thats so incredibley dumb at some points it's funny!