Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: Harold Ramis
Starring: Billy Crystal, Robert De Niro

The first movie (Analyze This) was a decently fresh mob comedy with a fair amount of laughs.

The premise that made the first one funny is simple: a powerful mob boss gets counselling. The premise in the second one: the mob boss has a mental breakdown and is so mentally and emotionally crippled that he's ordered into Crystal's custody (this might be slightly inaccurate because it's been 2 years since I saw it). How is that funny? It no longer really matters that he was a mob boss, because now he's just some oddball nutcase. All the previous mob jokes fall flat based on this flawed premise.

Analyze That is a painful rehash - the jokes are the same, but have lost all their punch. This movie is painfully unfunny at times, especially if you've seen the first and know how funny Crystal and De Niro can be in a scene together.

A cringe-worthy performance from De Niro is annoyingly overacted, but I can't fault him entirely, as the writing goes into ridiculous territory (the mob boss is singing show tunes in a mental hospital at one point -- it's like a really bad 90's sitcom).

A watered down version of the first, which was only a so-so comedy to begin with. This would've been 0.5 if I had paid for it, thankfully I didn't.

RATING: 1.0

PROS: None
CONS: A terrible sequel, kills all the humor and fun of the first one, a rare misfire from De Niro

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289848/

Bloated Pussy fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 13, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMurphy
Feb 14, 2004

THE FACES OF THOSE IVE KILLED
THE FACES OF THE DEAD
THE FACES OF THOSE I'VE KILLED

Oh man, talk about some awkward editing. I never understood why he decided to join back up with the mob, it just kind of happened after a while. This is a horrible sequel and I too am glad that I did not pay for it. 1