Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jc dracula
Nov 7, 2001
Directed by: Vincent Gallo
Starring: Vincent Gallo, Christina Ricci, Ben Gazzara, Angelica Huston,Kevin Corrigan

this is a good movie i saw which is about an emotionally shattered man who gets out of jail and meets up with all the goons and nutcases in his life, and he himself is a nutcase. it's also a romance movie, christina ricci is beautiful in it and i'm not sure but i think her character was probably a nutcase too, just a ton of nutcases. all the actors are pretty good in this. i had to watch it for about 26 minutes until i was really sure what tone gallo was going for but after that i could just sit back and enjoy it, it was just smooth sailing after that. the only thing that is gonna stick out is the camera work and the visuals because gallo never seems to really set a course and stick to that course and set clear goals for himself in this area, maybe he'll get better at that.

this is a pretty romantic movie. in fact, it's one of the Top Ten most Romantic movies i've ever seen.

RATING: 4.0

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0180984/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Life is Eat and Die
Apr 15, 2001
"We're a couple, we span time together."

Fantastic goddamn movie. It may be one of the most surprising movies I have ever seen. Looking at the packaging, it looks like some sort of heist/Natural Born Killers/runnin' from the law movie, but it's actually a very sweet romance with many comedic moments. Gallo pretty much got a boner at the idea of directing, and chose to do a lot of things that were visually very interesting, including:

• Ben Gazzara's serenade of "Fools Rush in"
  • The static straight ahead shots at the dinner table highly reminscent of Ozu.
  • Crazily insane showdown scene with Scott Woods.

Some other things seemed totally unecessary though, like Christina Ricci's spotlight tapdancing scene at the bowling alley.

I feel sad that Gallo's lust for pretension went overboard in The Brown Bunny. This movie was just the right balance of art and entertainment.

5/5

Hexum
Jul 23, 2003

I went and rented this movie strictly because of the trailer in BASEketball. What an awesome movie. 4/5

mynie
Sep 16, 2002

by HELLTANK
Gallow is an rear end in a top hat, and everything else that he's done loving sucks, but this movie is pretty good.

rift2001
Sep 30, 2003

My favorite sport is dodge
This is a great black comedy. Gallo's relationship with his parents is painful to watch, especially with his mother.

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe

quote:

Nick Hexum came out of the closet to say:
I went and rented this movie strictly because of the trailer in BASEketball. What an awesome movie. 4/5
I agree. The trailer also made me break out my Yes albums.

This was a movie that was somewhat painful to watch. Everything about this movie is rough - watching someone's painful obsessions and madness and eventual redemption spelled out so bluntly. The comedic moments helped a bit, but it was still a movie I can only see watching once.

3.5/5

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Like everyone else, I thought it was a fantastic movie. The bit in the bathroom - "I'm not looking, Im just imagining" - fanfuckingtastic.
Has anyone seen The Brown Bunny and, if so, is it really that bad?

Edit : Durr, sorry, 5/5 for my money.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
"My cars shift themselves"

I don't consider this movie a "Romance" at all. It's dark comedy. I've exposed this movie to some people who I THOUGHT had a good sense of humor and it just depressed them - I'd consider it eclectic.

4/5

Yacchus
May 29, 2003

TROJAN MAN
Gallo is an rear end in a top hat, and most everything else that he's done loving sucks, but this movie gets a 5 from me.

Wickedcapedkid
Oct 7, 2002

Bam!
This movie was very amusing and in a sense "magical" despite Gallo's rather asinine characteristics throughout the whole movie. This is a story every nerdy, gloomy guy wishes upon himself.

5/5

Zoom
Jun 26, 2003
Keepin' It Gansta!
Is this the movie that makes fun of Scott Norwood?

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Zoom came out of the closet to say:
Is this the movie that makes fun of Scott Norwood?

Yes.

Ronnie Dobbs
Jul 24, 2004

by OMGWTFBBQ
both the video and silver/grey poster of this film adorn my room - definetley one of my favourite films, if not purely because of my adoration of conceited neurotics & Christina Ricci

5/5

also, check out Vincent Gallo's music, especially the album When (which i'll put up in NMP3S when i fix my broadband)

I.G. Farben
Aug 23, 2004
the largest chemical manufacturing enterprise in the world
Completely senseless romance. Gallo plays one of the most unpleasant characters in any film that I've ever seen and Ricci falls in love with him for no reason at all. Maybe if we saw why she had such low self esteem then this movie would have been worth it.

Angelica Huston and whoever played Gallo's dad were both great, though, and the cinematography did have some charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
~~Bush is a Dick.....Cheney~~
to me, this is one of the most entertaining movies i've seen. Gallo mostly plays himself IMO, and manages to be the funniest, most anal retentive rear end in a top hat i can recall. the parents are great, Ricci is sweet candy, and the dialogue just slays me in parts. i love the whole "shifter car" discussion, and how faux-sophisticated Gallo plays it. i also love the "we're the couple that doesn't touch" photobooth scene. i'm still a bit confused by the stylistic and tonal shifts, but they keep me engaged. it IS a great romantic film. watch it with a girl, and check out their reactions to Billy as a character and also the ultimate ending.

4.5/5