Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wei1
Jun 24, 2003

gay for sufjan stevens.
Directed by: Yimou Zhang
Starring: Andy Lau, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Ziyi Zhang

Just saw this in the theaters today here in Taiwan and I have to say, for all it's hype I was far from impressed.

The fight scenes, while brilliantly choreographed, were very difficult to swallow at many points. When they are fighting in the bamboo woods, how can the soldiers launch their projectiles every 2 seconds in one scene and take 5 minutes to prepare a single projectile in another? You'll notice Kaneshiro with his bow in one scene and gone in the next. Also, when Lau and Zhang are talking, they are hundreds of feet apart, and yet can talk to each other in a normal tone of voice? I'm not talking about the superhuman abilities exhibited by the characters, that's to be expected in this type of movie, it's just that it should at least try to make sense. Also, the plot is far from spectacular, same for the characters. Personally, I didn't really like Zhang's character at all. The bathing scene was very reminiscent of CTHD (with a twist) whether intentional or not. Overall a pretty good film, if you don't look below the surface.

RATING: 4

PROS: awesome feast for the eyes and ears
CONS: story tries too hard and too many impossible scenes

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0385004/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

A solid follow-up to Hero, with fewer themes of nobility and a lot less grandstanding. Given that this is a Wuxia film, I've come to expect the impossibility of pretty much every fight scene, and this doesn't disappoint. The bamboo forest sequence enjoys all the hype it's garnered, though my favorite fight sequence is definitely the one in the flower field and the finale in the snowy plains. The cinematography for Flying Daggers is a lot more subtle than the boldness of Hero, and is in my opinion better. Yimou goes to less lengths to color code his sequences here, which simply make them stand out all the more vividly. And I enjoyed the plot twists, which take their cue from Infernal Affairs series (both of which star Andy Lau, who did a great job here). And there's no such thing as too much Zhang Ziyi.

4.5/5

Mr. Sleep fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 18, 2004

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Great fiction comes in all shapes and sizes. A multi-faceted fairy tale which has prevailed through humanity from when the very first lover's heart beat for the very first time, and will continue to do so until his heart beats its last. Brilliant choreography, cinematography, and SFX. However, I do not believe this to be one of Andy Lau's best acting jobs... Then again, I'm not sure if Andy Lau was ever really a great actor. The rest of the cast seemed to do fine, not terrific, but very well.

Well deserving of higher praise.

5/5

hikikomori
Oct 4, 2002

オレ、がんばれ
The Doyle-Yimou 1-2 combination strikes again.

This is the first movie where the millions of Wuxia and Jin Yong readers around the world can truely feel that the action played out in front of their eyes matches their vivid imaginations. No other Wuxia movie that I've seen has come so close to fluidly depicting the fighting abilities found in Wuxia novel heroes.

Overall, Yimou and Doyle have learnt from the mistakes of Hero by keeping the artsy factor down and playing with a simpler plot revolving around romance and betrayal. This time around our heroes are Asian superstars Andy Lau as 'Leo' and Takeshi Kaneshiro as 'Jin' (their subtitled names are a play on Andy's family name and Takeshi's Chinese name) who are in fine form during the action sequences as 'the Hunter' and 'the Archer' while Zhang Ziyi performs at Yimou's bidding with the usual aplomb.

The lush cinematography and color coordination of themes found in Hero returns but is less conspicuous this time around, as the landscape isn't a vivid swash of a single color tone but rather Doyle takes advantage of the hues found in the gorgeous seasonal environment of China and Ukraine. Thus the movie begins with bright enthusiasm in a gaudy and very garish brothel decorated with pastel flowers and ends in a cold and bleak blizzard. No surprises to what overall theme Yimou was gunning for here!

However, the fight scenes are definitely the focus of this movie. With SFX by Animal Logic and fight choreography by the legendary Tony Ching (Hero, Shaolin Soccer, A Chinese Ghost Story, Dragon Inn), this movie really shows what a Wuxia fight scene should look like when Hollywood quality SFX is employed. Remember every old-school Wuxia movie where projectiles are thrown and unerringly find their targets in a matter of frames? Not in HOFD. Enraptured, we follow the stunning flight of lovingly rendered daggers spinning and homing in on their hapless targets like heat-seeking missiles. The sword fighting is also noteworthy, with Ching and Yimou forgoing the more fanciful duelling found in the latter stages of Hero for the more visceral high impact style of the earlier Donnie Yen/Jet Li confrontation.

Much like with commercial TV, China (albeit bankrolled by Hollywood) continues to show Hong Kong how to make quality movies.

And Western audiences, give thanks to your respective Gods that Mira-axe did not pick up the international distribution rights to this movie after their Shaolin Soccer hack-job and much delayed Hero release (Sony bought the rights :dance: ).

Rating: 4.5/5

P.S To the O.P. - Impossible scenes? In Wuxia, nothing is impossible :)

hikikomori fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 10, 2004

kalleboo
Jan 13, 2001

Hjälp
This movie is so beautiful... the colors are breathtaking, and the cinematography is gorgeous.

Life is Eat and Die
Apr 15, 2001
This movie is good for the first half, then awful for the second. Really, some of the action scenes were ludicrious, love scenes were intensely creepy, the melodrama was way too drawn out, and plot twists thrown in completely arbitrarily. O hay Andy Lau you're all of a sudden a super secret double agent? And you're madly in love with Zhang Ziyi? Also, do we have to follow exactly where every single projectile flies to in the entire movie? Sloppy sloppy filmaking.

Visuals were great though, don't get me wrong.

2.5/5

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I really got a kick out of this film. It was a really nice return to Shaw Bros. style filmmaking, with beautiful costumes, set design, and just an overwhelming attention to detail and color. To be honest, I don't know if I could even give a proper plot summary because I was so blown away by the visual beauty of the film while I was watching it, but I think the narrative and thematic strength of the film will emerge on repeat viewings. I'm also happy to see Zhang moving into more popular genres, though a lot of my friends who have seen it felt the opposite way (though, interestingly, Zhang has been criticized in the past for "orientalizing" his older films to appeal to Western audiences, while this seems to be geared more towards Asian film-goers, so I guess he's damned no matter what he does). Good times, and one of my favorite films of 2004, after Zatoichi and The Saddest Music in the World.

Also, Christopher Dolye wasn't the DP on this as far as I know, though it certainly is reminicent of his work on Hero.

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier
Oi, I really hated this film. Zhang Yimou did wonderfully for Hero and his other non-Wuxia films but this is just really bad film. The first 2/3 of the film was done wonderfully to build up to something... but horribly crashed and burned on the last third of the film. What I have to say about the last part??? Here: Andy Lau as a mole??? Oi, welcome back Infernal Affairs! It was just out of the blue and abrubt. I just thought it was sloppy and the final scene where Zhang Ziyi just wont die was halarious, but unintended.. Who knows, it might've been a good film if Anita Mui didn't die and played the intended role given to her which could've been why the movie was screwed up. And someone mentioned Doyle doing the cinematography, he didn't which I wish wasn't the case since he would've done a much more fantastic job but still eye candy is eye candy, so kudos to that. Its a shame two of Hong Kong's top actors are wasted in this poor film and China selecting it as their contender for the Oscars.

2/5

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Fairly decent movie overall but there were lots about it I didn't like. First off as some have said the story seems to fall apart at the end, and alot of the twists seem forced. Some of the visual affects were also way over done, and the end result was camp. Finally who the hell told Zhang ZiYi to be in another movie? I am so tired of seeing her in every new Chinese movie. Find another actress, and one that can hopefully act. It might not be apparent to American audiance members, but she is a horrible horrible actress. Please find someone else.

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.
Thoroughly enjoyable movie. The story was somewhat simplistic, and as others have said, the later plot twists seem a bit forced, but I came into the movie without much in the way of information or judgements, and was entertained. House of Flying Daggers is much more worthwhile than 90% of the filth that Hollywood shits out these days, so it gets points simply for that. Also, absolutely stunning scenery (including, of course, Zhang Ziyi).

4.5/5

kcin82
Nov 1, 2004

why ask why
All comments from guys who like/hate Ziyi Zhang aside (including me), this movie was highly entertaining.

HoFD was a lot like Hero visually, but this time it was a lot less of Chinese prophaganda and more along the lines of a love story with a "main" story tacked on to fool the viewers. It's got plot twists, but it's not particulary complex, since the focus isn't on a deep plot, it's on action and visuals.

Tons of fantasy-style action sequences, and all of them impressed me. Sure, like the OP points out, none of hte action was particularly believable, but that's part of hte appeal. It's not a historical documentary, it's a fantasy movie.

None of the acting is particularly memorable, but it's mostly all a solid job all around, and more than can be said about most Hollywood films. By the end, the film gets a little rushed, but just about all you can ask for is wrapped up.

Overall, I liked it. A drat entertaining film. 5/5

Godmoder
Jun 18, 2004
heavens, no
This is a really beautiful film. Thanks to reviews, I was sort of expecting it to be as melodramatic and twisting as it was, besides, in the end, while the plot twists are not at all complicated, they are clearly not where the real focus of the film went.

Seeing this film, I realize that pretty much every wuxia movie I've seen ends with everyone dying tragically in the final battle...and yet this teased that, but finally did not, per se. Which seems odd, and likely intentionally so - there seems to be at least couple of digs at several other films, especially CTHD and Infernal Affairs, although the latter remains on my queue at the moment so I have to take others' word for it - or I don't watch enough movies. Feel free to let me know how wrong I am on this.

I watched the movie in a very nice theater downtown, which was quite pleasant, and the crisp surround sound and big bright screen brought out a lot of the "audiovisual splendor" almost immediately, sort of the opposite of how seeing Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut a week ago in a dark and rickety old movie theater in my college town made a certain scene in that movie far more poignant than it had any right to be.

voted 4/5.

Grisly Grotto
Jun 17, 2003

Are sure you should fight tonight? You don't look well.
I just watched this film, and loved every minute of it. The scenery was awesome, and the fight scenes were excellently choreographed. As for the plot, it was a little jumpy at times, but I found it engrossing and was able to sit through the whole film without wondering how much longer it was going to go for (which is a rarity for me). I liked this film better than CTHD and Hero, I think it's one of my new favourites. 5/5.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'll preface this by saying I saw the film at a 12:30 screening. Maybe my opinion was tainted by being a little tired, though I really anticipated the film.

That said, what crap. Horrible, horrible crap.

There's a strong start, what with the drum game and the blindness of Ziyi's character. There's an elegance to it all, very formal, but colorful and vivid. After the Jailbreak it goes downhill.

Hell, I can't be the only one that laughed at the scene where Ziyi hovers by his crotch and says I SEE YOU HAVE MASTERED THE WIND TECHNIQUE!!! or "Are you for real":nyd:. Don't even get me started on the love scenes. Ugh.

From this point on, the battles turn into boring, overly artsy slop. The fights in CTHD showed a weightlessness that required some effort to pull off. Here, it's just unbelievable tripe aided by CGI. "Yes, my dagger can fly across a field, behind someone's back, exit their chest, then turn around like a magic loving bullet and attack every shielded enemy. It's all in the wrist!" Aside from cool flying knives, they blow their battle choreography wad in the film's first 15 minutes.

The plot becomes a convoluted mess Ha, you think I am an Officer, but I am realy a spy! / Aha! But I am ALSO a SPY! / Not only am I a spy, but I am the LEADER of the Flying Faggots! -- AHA I lied again! Ho ho!. I just stopped caring. There was no point in following anything if they were just going to rip it all away for a cheap shocking moment.

There had the film ended 20 or so minutes early, and the final CLIMACTIC battle not happened, I would have been content.

Sure, the film's great visually. But I want a little more out of this kind of movie than a romp down someone's gallery showing of landscape photoshops.

1.5/5

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
I had trouble remembering that I saw this movie this weekend. A bad sign in a movie is when I start daydreaming of other stuff.

I thought the cinematography in Hero was WAY better than this movie. And although the plot was less complicated, it sure got blown to poo poo near the end, like the above posters have said.

Everyone in the theater laughed when the chick came back to life. And the 30 love scenes with her made me uncomfortable. It was like that old Anime Truism: "Minmay (sp?) is a whore."

I didn't mind the fight scenes, but none really stick out in my mind. None did in Hero either. I can suspend my disbelief, but it has to be consistent. You're either a superhero or you aren't. It's like, I can kill 30 guys with this chop stick. OH poo poo, 5 BAD GUYS, WE'RE DOOMED! Like whenever someone lost their sword, they were instantly powerless.

Kind of embarrassed about this, but I'm probably also turned off by the message or theme. From the best I can gather it's, love the one who respects and loves and sacrifices for you--until someone sexier comes along. That just didn't give me oodles of empathy for the characters and I was hoping they'd die.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
I had high hopes for this movie, but those hopes came to nothing. In a nutshell, the movie starts out pretty good (though I would say not as good as Hero) with some cool scenes and chereography, but right at the half way point, the entire thing just falls apart. All of the plot twists don't make any sense, the big fight scene they set up for never happens, the characters get stabbed multiple times in places like their stomach or their heart and somehow manage not to die. THEY GET STABBED MULTIPLE TIMES IN THE STOMACH! AND THEY'RE NOT DEAD, AND THEY CAN STILL WALK AND NOT BLEED TO DEATH. WHAT THE HELL., and the story just doesn't make any sense at all.

None of the characters are believable, none of the drama is believable, and in the last half of the movie, none of the fights are even remotely believable. And I don't mean in a "flying around doing impossible feats" sort of way. Even in that context, I still didn't buy the fight scenes.

The cinematography was only so so too. Hero is a much, much, much better movie.

1.5/5

septum
Jul 11, 2001

by Livestock
The cinematography is indeed amazing and I really wish to go see China now because it looks gorgeous, but the build up to the ending sucked. They were preparing for an enourmous battle of epic proportions. It was said many times throughout the movie that it would be the battle to end all battles. SOMETHING HUGE AND AMAZING, Think D-day with magical ninjas and Chinese Soldiers, but it never delivered. Did they run out of funds? I do not know. I give this movie two ratings

Visuals and cinematography 5/5

Overall 2/5

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Just saw it, and I'm not impressed.

CTHD had exactly the same problems. It starts out as a very cool movie, then it's like the director (or screenwriter or whatever) suddenly remembers he's making great art, leads the characters into the wilderness and shoots one crappy love scene after another.

My advice: Just stay in the cities and give us some STORY! And "I'm the spy, you're the spy" isn't a story.

We had lots of fun watching the movie though (don't watch it alone!), because after the first half hour we started to make fun of the movie, which was hilarious. So, if you watch it with a friend who isn't overly uptight about the movie and its "art" it's a 4, because it's absolutely hysterical if you don't take it seriously.
If you watch it alone and expect some serious story and/or action, it's a 2.
If you happen to appreciate logic in a story, it's a 1.

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

My taste in Asian cinema is usually limited to giant rubber-suited monsters stomping on Tokyo, so I can't say with any authority how great The House of Flying Daggers is compared to others, but I'll admit that I haven't been dazzled and dumbstruck by a film containing this much beauty, action, and thrills in quite a long time. A brilliantly gorgeous movie to watch from beginning to end, the entire film is a brilliant work of art that deserves to be shown behind a velvet rope.

The story is deceivingly simple. The Chinese military has become corrupt and is looking to squash a group of renegades with the same name of the film's title who are behaving as Far East version of Robin Hood and his Merry Men. In order to kill the leader of the Flying Daggers, they use one of their members, a blind assassin named Mei, posing as a showgirl dancer (played by Ziyi Zhang) as a pawn to draw the group out. The story and twists that ensue are both easy to follow, and full of surprises that lend themselves well to a subtitled movie experience.

The casting is perfect. If you enjoyed watching Zhang in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon as the petite but lethal rear end-kicker, you'll be even more impressed with her skills in this movie. Her beauty, flexibility, and agility make her one of the most fun to watch action stars of any gender. Her companion, Jin, played by Takeshi Kaneshiro, is equally impressive and very charismatic. The two have a remarkable screen chemistry that works well throughout.

Director Yi Mou Zhang, who made last year's visually impressive Jet-Li epic, Hero, makes Flying Daggers filled with jaw-dropping beauty with incredible shots of Chinese nature at it's finest. Densely packed forests of white birch trees, oceans of fall colors, flurries of snow, and emerald green forests of bamboo are so great to look at, they almost deserve a screen credit.

If it's action you crave, you came to the right place. A Creatively staged scene in which Mei jumps around like a whirlwind banging a circle of drums with long scarves that flow from her sleeves is both surreal and amazing to look at, while several forest combat situations are equally impressive. Kaneshiro does a crazy diagonal corkscrew diving move down a flight of stairs before taking out a bunch of guards that I've never seen before.

There's a lot more to the story that would be a crime to expose here, and the gushing flow of superlatives in this review may seem excessive, but the beauty in The House of Flying Daggers present in the scenery, acting, and action really deserves a look if you're interested in seeing a great film. In time where we seemed inundated with mindless disaster movies, hyper-edited brainless action films, or shoot-em ups that don't even pretend to have a story, it's nice to see a film that at least tries to elevate the genre.

liquorhead fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 9, 2005

LukeNukem
Feb 4, 2004
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
I loved this film up until the last half hour where it went downhill rapidly.
I wouldn't have minded the ridiculousness of the invincible girl if they'd at least given us the pay-off of the Flying daggers vs the army

Visuals 5/5
Story 3/5

joeuser
Mar 22, 2002
I watched the movie last night and I did not like it. But there are many ways to not like something (and many ways to like something). Maybe a better way of saying this is that I liked some parts of it and did not like some.

The dialogues in the movie are paced at an arthouse pace(cf. Robert Redford and any other art movie). People don't speak to convey information or emotion. They are conveyed through many doe-eyed looks. Is this a good thing? Definitely not. In one of the key moments in the film (loving BIG SPOILER) when jin asks if she still loves him, my understanding was you were supposed to know the answer. I sure as hell did not. I suppose this question has the same answer in the middle of every movie, but this is as bad a basis on which a viewer has to guess as there can be.

The visuals are okay. Somehow, I am much more appreciative of visuals in "winged migration" than I am in Crouching House, Flying Dagger. And oh, the visuals are just like the ones in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Hero. The ropework is getting tiresome. You know what? Matrix 2 was the suck (My point is that repeating a gimmick sucks). Yes, there are lush fields with color filters. But the human superheros are getting on my nerves.

I think the problem I hate this movie so much is not the action, the visuals or the dialogue (I am the playful wind, oh yeah? Your momma.) It is the motherfucking story. Maudlin, trite and unimaginative stories will suck no matter where you put them. Did you like titanic? You will probably like this movie, just for the melodrama factor.

After writing this review, I realized how much I hated this movie.

2.5/5

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
I thought the colours and cinematography in HOFD was brilliant. The plot was good in theory, if not execution, and the pace was good.

The final battle was my favourite part, as it's rare to see one fighter NOT win on his first or second swipe. The fight was very brutal and furious, and that's not something you see normally.

Owldolph Hootler
Aug 25, 2002

I will again just reiterate what everyone said here. The imagery and cinematography is amazing and it almost feels like you're in a beautiful dream the entire movie. The beginning starts strong (when he threw all the beans at the drums, it sent chills down my spine) but starts to unravel near the end. I began to lose interest in the plot near the end, which seemed to have been the catalyst of suddenly introducing the officer as a main character in the movie. They never set up any character developement what-so-ever for this guy, which is partly why I didn't care if he died or not in the final fight scene. He looked like just another nameless officer identical to the ones being killed throughout.

Also, Zhang Zihi should have died three times before she did at the end.

Besides that though, this was the best movie I've seen in theaters in a long time. I absolutely loved Hero, and I loved this film. I just think that they should have kept the plot a little bit more linear and shouldn't have tried so hard to make little twists.

4.5/5

Bolt Vanderhuge
Oct 17, 2000

1941-2007
NEVER FORGET
What the HELL.

Edit: Wow, I was really kind of ranting here. Maybe I was in a mood that day. Anyway, this movie kinda blew. But here are the things I did like:

- The musical score, very beautiful and evocative of the emotions I was supposed to be feeling but wasn't.
- The camerawork and locales, always gorgeous and colourful.
- Zhang Ziyi's hot, hot rear end.
- The fighting, whenever there were no CGI Batarang Magic Hovering Knives around.
- Especially the final fight-scene in the snow.

I give this movie 2.5 on account of these things. But a 'good movie' this is not.

Bolt Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 5, 2007

meteorite
Sep 23, 2004

Hay guys Indonesia oughta be nuked for convicting such a pretty dope smuggler amirite? (not racist)
Brilliant. The most beautiful movie I've ever seen.

5.5/5

Skydorker
Dec 1, 2004
no eye deer
After two viewings, I still don't understand what all the hype surrounding this movie is about. I was blown away by the cinematography and the music is enchanting, but underneath the beautiful camerawork the plot is weak and contrived, leading to an ending you can spot a mile off.

Having watched plenty of these kung-fu epics while growing up in Asia, I honestly think that this movie is a complete snorefest. Sure Zhang Zi-Yi is hot (what's new), but her presence alone is not enough to save this movie from its mediocrity.

2/5

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I really enjoyed this film. I'm a fan of the Wuxia genre and Crouching Tiger and Hero rank up there with some of my favorite films. It's more of a ballet using violence as its vehicle than it is simply 'kung fu fighting', and the impossible physics and feats always impress me because in this genre, they're to be expected rather than viewed as mere suspension of disbelief that you might have viewing a typical action movie. In a Hollywood action movie, gratuitous impossible stunts seem ridiculous. In movies like this, there's nothing unusual about people defying gravity and fighting through treetops.

The cinematography is a lot more subtle here than Hero, but just subtle enough to be nearly as effective. The fighting and choreography are gorgeous, and there are a few jaw-dropping scenes of badassery (such as the '4 arrows' scene, and several of the scenes featuring the titular flying daggers). One thing that this movie did for me that Hero didn't was that it actually caught me up in the love story, which is rarely a feeling I get in movies nowadays. I liked the multiple plot twists, and the whole 'lovers from opposite factions' story was effectively done without bashing you over the head with similarities to Romeo and Juliet.

The one thing I wasn't so sure about was the very end of the film, but more as a stylistic choice of the director than a story point. I have no problem with how it ended from a story perspective, it just didn't seem as satisfying as it could have. It basically is left open-ended after the climax, rather than showing what actually happens to the two male leads, and it left me a little confused as to why (to be more specific, Leo is last seen stumbling off through the snow. It just felt weird to see a main character pushed off into the background like that after such a huge climactic battle). Other than that, a good story with some impressive balletic violence and great camera work, as is to be expected with Yimou's films.

4.5/5

Bonk fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 7, 2005

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
This movie felt about four hours long. Like Hero, the fighting itself takes a backseat to its own artistry, but unlike Hero I could not feel the tension or urgency that brought them on. Anytime the good guys got into a predicament, you could count on an unseen someone saving the day from the bushes. I'm also not fond of the fact that the Ziyi typecast seems to be as a woman who knows only enough kung-fu to hold off the bad guys until one of her male suitors can come to her aid. Let her kick some rear end on her own for once, whether it's congruent with Chinese history or not.

The ending was terrible, too.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Good fights and interesting story in the beggening got ruined by unending plot twists, over the top melodrama bullshit and a lackluster final fight scene.

2.5/5

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

This is just like an Opera.

Beautiful scenery, costumes, colors and performance but drat the plots are melodramatic, and "fake" tragic.
Also as many people mentioned the twists come out of nowehere and if there are too many twists in a movie - they stop being surprisingly because you don't really care anymore.

"Hero" is both beautiful AND has an interesting plot. See that instead.

2.5 / 5

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
YAWN. I did not see what the fuss is. Its a good movie, but nothing great. It was excuse to go flying around hitting poo poo with knives and stuff and nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster
I just got a new 60" HDTV a couple weeks ago and this was the first Blu-Ray DVD I bought to test it out, since Hero and CTHD aren't out yet.

Everything about this movie was really gorgeous and artistic except the story.

- If Leo and Mei were lovers, then why did they have to fight at the beginning of the movie even when nobody was around?

- Also the whole mole/spy thing was really stupid and forced.

- The ending was really lovely and abrupt and made no sense. Both of those guys should've died from all their wounds, Leo shouldn't have just walked off like that for no reason, they should've had a decisive fight to the finish, and Mei should not have gotten up from her heart wound.

- We never got to see the huge fight between the Imperial troops and the Flying Daggers. :mad:

- Also I really hate it when they do the thing where someone has to kill the enemy they're in love with to prove their loyalty. Why the gently caress couldn't any of the other Flying Daggers kill Jin? Why does it always have to be the one person who will hate it the most and has the highest chance of setting them free?

However I did not buy this movie for its story. I bought it for the ridiculously over-the-top fight scenes and for the cinematography so that I could watch it in glorious HD on my new gigantic TV and I was blown away by both.

4.5/5

Chief Rebel Angel fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 23, 2007